Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / picking a generator.
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Brettny
# Posted: 24 Feb 2022 14:50

Quoting: gcrank1
low hour Kawasaki 'construction' type with a rotted out gas tank I got free. Im thinking about getting the LP universal kit for it. It would certainly solve my continual rust in the petcock, sed-bowl and carb. It would run real big stuff like radial arm or table saw, etc. that the little one cant surge enough for.

I got a briggs generator that was in really good shape for $50 due to rust in the tank. I used electrolysis to clean it. It's been great since. Before that I put a piece of chain in there on a string and shook it around real well.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Feb 2022 16:46

I guess I should look into that electrolysis thing first to use what I have.
Thanx Brett

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Feb 2022 19:17

Quoting: gcrank1
guess I should look into that electrolysis thing first to use what I have.
Thanx Brett

Transformer based battery charger, pool PH chemical (cant remember if its plus or minus) and a few scrap pieces of metal. It's very quite easy and cheap.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Feb 2022 22:37

I can do that, got it all except the pool-chem; can maybe buy it at Walmart?

AnthonyMiller
# Posted: 3 Feb 2023 05:32

When choosing a portable generator, here are a few things to consider:

Output: Consider the power output you may need for your equipment or appliances during an emergency or power outage. The power output is measured in watts.

Portability: Look for a generator with wheels and a handle for easy mobility.

Fuel type: Decide whether you prefer a gasoline, propane, or diesel generator. Gasoline is the most common, while propane and diesel tend to last longer and are more fuel efficient.

Noise level: Consider how loud the generator is, as some are much louder than others. A generator with a decibel rating of less than 65 decibels is considered quiet.

Features: Look for a generator with features such as multiple outlets, circuit breakers, and a low oil shut-off switch.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 3 Feb 2023 12:04

I recently bought a WEN 6250 inverter generator and it seems to be a good option as a back-up for my home.
It's big and heavy with wheels to help move it around.
I've run it enough to break it in, but have not had to
use it long term. My consideration for a large generator was that it had to be enough to run my well pump, boiler heating system and refrigerator. The surge from these appliances was well under the maximum surge of the generator, but factoring in lighting and other low load devices it seems to be adequate. I also wanted a generator with a 240 volt output to be able to wire into one side of my main panel and get current on both sides. An interlock kit keeps the main breaker off while the generator is in play. Since the boiler is a new appliance with some electronics, I felt it was important to have an inverter type to limit the possibility of damaging it. It's a gas appliance, but with electronics that monitor the system.

Anyway, it seems like a decent brand. I based my purchase on the reliability I got out of a WEN 2400 watt inverter generator I bought for use at the cabin. It's small and portable and quiet. I've run it quite a bit during long weekends without any problems.

Tim_Ohio

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.