Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / FLA Rescue
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Jan 2022 10:38

Yeah, with the 12v jumper cables on the posts of the 6v in reality the 12v was going straight thru to the starter, the battery was just kinda hangin there underneath the wires, lol. But until you hit the starter button it was dumping 12 into the bat, that should have exited it some. Dont want to do that too long....
We put an 8v bat into 6v Ford 8N tractor, that worked great. The other components didnt mind but the gen needed a jumper to make it put out max volts; ie, ya gotta charge with more volts than the target battery has.
Been so long since Ive had a 6v rig around I dont even know if you can buy 8v bats?
Hey Trav,
Regarding those low-end 6v g-cart bats, I was checking them out at Menards last year and they werent rated as many ah's as they used to be, like 215ah, think they were more like 190 ah? With the inflation we are experiencing I expect fla bat prices to jack up quite a bit this year, everything else is

ICC
# Posted: 28 Jan 2022 11:37 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: gcrank1
I dont even know if you can buy 8v bats?

Golf cart batteries come in 8 volt versions.

We switched everything that used 6 volts system to 12 volts decades ago. Sometimes with an engine swap, other times just the basics; tractor and road grader now have 12 volt alternators and batteries with the grader getting a new 12 volt starter motor on the gas pony engine that cranks the diesel. And most of those oldies were sold or traded for newer

paulz
# Posted: 5 Feb 2022 10:37 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: travellerw
Because of the danger factor, I usually start by testing the Mosfets and Bridge rectifiers (the devices bolted to that big heat sink). These can be checked with the supply powered down. Get the number off the device and find out if its a FET or BR, then there are good videos on Youtube how to test those devices in situ. 7 times out of 10 I find one of the devices has gone dead short.

Danger is my business (I forget who said that..).

Yesterday I pulled the board out of the chassis to see the back side. No evidence of overheating or corrosion. I did power it up again, the fan works so I know the board is getting power. Put a DVM on the two big white wires (pic on page 2), DC I assume, got nothing. Got the numbers off the gizmos on the heat sink. All but one are the small rectangle, google search says they are Schottkey rectifiers. Didn't find anything on the one bigger rectangular one at one end.

So I guess I need to figure out how to test these..

Thanks travellerw.
20220204_092503.jpg
20220204_092503.jpg
20220204_092053.jpg
20220204_092053.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 9 Feb 2022 12:19

Quoting: ICC
Golf cart batteries come in 8 volt versions.

I had an 8v battery in my old Binder, adjusted the voltage regulator to up the charge from 6v.

That was a sweet old truck, hated to sell it but without a dump bed I just didn't have much use for it and it just sat and rotted.
rt_100.jpg
rt_100.jpg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.