Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood Stove burns out overnight
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Alaskajohn
# Posted: 31 Jan 2024 14:03

Quoting: Aklogcabin
Also if I'm not burning birch in it, the only hardwood available, and burning white spruce I have trouble with an over night fire too n have to have a chunk to toss in when I do my papa walk each night.

Great point on the difference between hardwood (birch) and softwood (spruce). About 80% of the wood available around me is spruce, so the birch is reserved for these long cold winter evenings. A good birch round will always be still burning in the morning to feed with spruce log for the day.

paulz
# Posted: 1 Feb 2024 09:29 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: Fanman
I use a "Cape Cod fire starter".

Nice. Didn't know about those. Do you keep it inside?

Quoting: Alaskajohn
Great point on the difference between hardwood (birch) and softwood (spruce)

Same here, except redwood is the soft and bay (laurel) the hard. Evening redwood burn with a big chunk of bay will leave a small piece still hot enough in the morning to throw redwood back on for the "sit by the fire" morning coffee.

Fanman
# Posted: 1 Feb 2024 22:19 - Edited by: Fanman

Quoting: paulz
Nice. Didn't know about those. Do you keep it inside?

Yes, it sits on the floor (in the corner where it won't be kicked over).

In the picture the kerosene pot is just visible behind the stove to the right, against the bricks. The ball has been removed from the fire and set on the left side of the tray in front of the stove to cool before putting it back in the kerosene.
IMG_20171111_1553283.jpg
IMG_20171111_1553283.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 07:34

Yes I see both. I have a similar spot. Much tighter in my cabin and the bed is very close, the smell of kerosene by is not an issue?

Fanman
# Posted: 3 Feb 2024 10:02

No, I don't smell the kerosene at all. One could probably use lamp oil if it's an issue.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 4 Feb 2024 09:37

Wow, I’m surprised no one mentioned the egg crate/ laundry lint/wax method. I’ve been using that for 15 years…and actually smells nice when starting the fir3 if you use old scented candles lol.
1. Old egg crate flat (makes 30 starters)
2. Dryer lint
3. Old candles or available wax
Stuff egg crate holes with lint
Pour in wax
Let dry then cut into individual mini starters. They each burn for 5-10 minutes till fire is well started. I keep an old cast iron pot near the fire…makes life so much easier on cold mornings here in Canada. My sweetheart wife now makes me a regular big batch each Christmas while recycling old candles and laundry lint…so easy to make.
IMG_0093.png
IMG_0093.png
IMG_0094.png
IMG_0094.png
IMG_0095.png
IMG_0095.png

paulz
# Posted: 17 Feb 2024 19:39 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: Nobadays
I always used charcoal lighter. Works great!

Bought a quart today, $7 at Ace. Certainly works! Should last awhile, but much cheaper kerosene probably does just as well.

Thanks!

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Feb 2024 20:23 - Edited by: gcrank1

Iirc 'charcoal lighter fluid' is mineral spirits?
Or, maybe try the 'dollar store' for their lighter fluid.

paulz
# Posted: 17 Feb 2024 20:43

Tried the dollar store, didn't have any. Tempted to try their women's hair tonic, that might work. Buck a quart.

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Feb 2024 22:02

Did the label say 'flammable'?

Nobadays
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 09:31

I guess Charcoal lighter fluid is expensive. We have a junk store in the closest town that buys out closed stores, storage containers, etc, they had probably 50 bottles of this stuff for $1 a bottle a few years back. Of course I bought 8-10 and still have several around.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 10:54

We've never had a problem starting fires in a wood stove or outside. Living in a pine forest provides us with an abundance of fallen needles. Each fall we top up a barrel in the barn with a fresh supply when they are dry and littering the ground around the home and the cabin. The excess, there is always an excess, get burned when it is safe.

A handful is placed in the stove bottom, then a handful of assorted kindling, then a couple of pieces of firewood (bigger than kindling but not full-size firewood. The needles are ignited using an instant-on propane torch. A 1 lb cylinder lasts a very long time when only used for a few seconds at a time.

The kindling is most often project and construction scrap. Nothing with adhesives, resins, paints, or preservatives is used.

It also helps immensely to be at least one full year ahead on the firewood supply. The climate will dictate how well the firewood supply must be covered. Mine is all roofed over once split and stacked. Metal roofing panels make good rain and snow covers for stacked wood anywhere.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 13:26 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: gcrank1
Did the label say 'flammable'?

It just said 'Do not use with electric curlers'

paulz
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 13:42

I’ve been using my recently refound B&D pole saw to trim off the dead branches of this palm tree at my city house, while sitting out this new storm. Ran out of cabin wood here…, the leaves burn great, branches too if a bit thorny. But I’m about as high as I can go without a taller truck bed.
IMG_2207.jpeg
IMG_2207.jpeg
IMG_2206.jpeg
IMG_2206.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 13:52

Tiki bar thatched roof for the theater at the cabin?

curious
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 14:35

Quoting: paulz
It just said 'Do not use with electric curlers'

Because curling irons should never be used on wet hair, according to my girl friend.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 16:19

Quoting: darz5150
Tiki bar thatched roof for the theater at the cabin?

Adding a wet bar, gambling room and cocktail waitresses. I added on to gcranks order. That's why it went up to 40k.

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 17:23

LOL

paulz
# Posted: 19 Feb 2024 20:39

Quoting: curious
Because curling irons should never be used on wet hair, according to my girl friend.

I’ll take her word for it. I’m still in the city waiting out the wind storm, so I stopped by the dollar store again, only I forgot my reading glasses and couldn’t read those tiny ingredient labels.

I could read this however, and grabbed it. Works great!
IMG_2216.jpeg
IMG_2216.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 20 Feb 2024 00:20

I grabbed these off Amazon to light the stove in the cabin. Also works well with charcoal lighter fluid etc.
I have hurricane lamps that I burn citronella oil in outside. Lights them up pretty quickly. Actually easier than a Bic lighter.
Screenshot_20240219.png
Screenshot_20240219.png

DaveBell
# Posted: 20 Feb 2024 07:27

I bought a box of Fatwood to try it out. Works very well. Lit it (6 pieces) with newspaper in the fireplace. I need to try shaving it and lighting with one match. Something we practiced in the Army, can you make a one match fire. I would like to find some on the mountain, price would be better. Anyone ever found it in the wild?

ICC
# Posted: 20 Feb 2024 08:42

Fatwood is cut from the stumps of logged pine trees, mostly the heartwood. It is very resinous. That is the reason stumps can burn underground long after a wildfire burns through a forest. Also why a campfire can ignite roots and spread under the surface.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Feb 2024 08:47

I grabbed these off Amazon to light the stove in the cabin. Also works well with charcoal lighter fluid etc.

Sweet! Didn't know about those. Thanks! Ordered.

I'll try it on my nose hair too. Bic gets dicey.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Feb 2024 19:01

I grabbed these off Amazon to light the stove in the cabin. Also works well with charcoal lighter fluid etc

Hey Darz, these things are the cats meow! Just in time, the Bic died. Lights my cooktop too.

Thanks again Buddy.
IMG_2236.jpeg
IMG_2236.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 23 Feb 2024 19:39

Lol. They are pretty bad ass aren't they.
Glad it helped out.

darz5150
# Posted: 24 Feb 2024 01:19

Just noticed the pipe cleaner attachment. Very clever once again. lol
We should All remember... When ya got a problem to deal with.
Done and Done
Done and Done

paulz
# Posted: 24 Feb 2024 07:10

I use those things often for simple hanging/wrapping jobs. Strong as a zip tie but more flexible and easily undone and reused. Buck a bag.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 2 Mar 2024 19:56

IMO the easiest (and best for the hassle) fire starters are cotton balls rubbed in Vaseline. One ball will burn for 5+ minutes. I’ve found them every bit as good as the wax/sawdust or similar creations.

We’ve always called them “fireballs”. They’re amazing for camping as you can fit an entire weeks worth into a pill bottle. At the cabin we have a pint mason jar jammed full of them- Will probably last 5 years.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Mar 2024 22:35

Fritos!
Fire starter and a snack

FishHog
# Posted: 3 Mar 2024 07:12

Quoting: gcrank1
Fritos!
Fire starter and a snack

Just saw on the news that a potato chip factory in eastern canada burned to the ground. That was the first thing I thought of.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.