Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood Stove burns out overnight
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
paulz
# Posted: 3 Mar 2024 09:56 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: Grizzlyman
IMO the easiest (and best for the hassle) fire starters are cotton balls rubbed in Vaseline. One ball will burn for 5+ minutes. I’ve found them every bit as good as the wax

Wow, tried it last night after reading this Griz! Only found generic Vaseline in the bathroom, and toilet paper wadding, but it was just like you said, long burn. The isopropyl alcohol I’ve been trying burns hot and fast, but it’s over in seconds. This actually got my wood going better.

Between this and my new USB LP torch lighter, the wood stove duties are taking a leap forward. Thanks !

Like the Fritos idea, but I see myself stuffing my face while sitting by a cold stove.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Apr 2024 10:50 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: darz5150
I grabbed these off Amazon to light the stove in the cabin. Also works well with charcoal lighter fluid etc.

How many lights are you getting out of yours? I’m only getting about 3 lights/days out of my one between charges. Maybe got an old stock unit but the battery compartment does look rather small. Thought maybe new/larger battery but don’t see a way to open it up. Sure is nice when working..

darz5150
# Posted: 18 Apr 2024 11:24

Maybe you did get a dud. Do both of them run down the same?
Both of ours can go a couple weeks without a recharge.
Are you still within the return window?

paulz
# Posted: 18 Apr 2024 11:35

Thanks. I only bought one. I’ll buy another, not going to break the bank.

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Apr 2024 12:34

You motivated me to check my e-lighter here at home today, haven't used it but a couple times and it has been sitting about a month? It 'fired' right up so Im encouraged.
I bought the 2 pack for just under $10 (amazon), the other is at what used to be the cabin (now an empty space) packed away somewhere with our goods.....

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.