Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / LP heat indoors
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
paulz
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 11:36 - Edited by: paulz

Another one of my probably dumb ideas: for a quick warm up can I bring this lp heater inside for a bit? I know ventilation is an issue (although my Mr. Heater etc. run indoors without external venting) but can I run this with the wood stove door open for half an hour?
IMG_1525.jpeg
IMG_1525.jpeg

Steve_S
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 11:48

I've used similar & Big Buddy heaters during construction ... it's OK if you just heat to take the chill off for 10-15 minutes and still have fresh air incoming but not for long because you'll gas yourself in no time. CO2 poisoning does not take long - by the time you start seeing "halo's" you're already headed to deep trouble.

Honestly, best thing to do, is get in there and start a "softwood fire" to get the woodstove up to temp fast & give you heat, then switch to the hardwoods once warm.

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 14:57

Folks around here have been doing it for a long time, Just Be Sure to Have a CO Alarm and Do It Sensibly.

spencerin
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 15:07

Yes, with precautions as stated above. And be careful not to knock it over!

paulz
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 16:49

Thanks guys, good points. I need to check my detector batts..

I’m thinking for mornings when I don’t plan to stay, takes the chill off and no leftover burn when I’m gone.

FishHog
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 19:48

will add a lot of moisture inside, might not be an issue for you, but it can be at times

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 20:25

With his proposed use of quick heating while the woodstove gets cranking moisture wont be an issue, and any will get cooked out by the woodstove after anyway.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 20:45

I think alot depends on how long you heat with propane and wood and how you leave the place when you leave. If you leave windows open when your gone not much is a concern.

If you heat up with propane until the wood stove is going and heat every night with propane and when your leaving with propane and leave the place closed up tight it may be an issue. I would always suggest a humidistat in any house and an external and external one can tell you alot more.

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Sep 2023 22:01

I watch the condensation on the windows

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 28 Sep 2023 12:20

Hey I have the exact same propane heater. I have used it to help bring the cabin up to temperature when I bring my beautiful wife. Spoil her I do. You won't have any issues. I also leave the door on the woodstove open and get the heat out off the inside of the stove too. And your stove has a fan in it that really helps warm fast.
I don't think you will have any issues with using propane to warm your cabin. I have not found it to be terribly wet or cause issues with high humidity used part time.

# Posted: 28 Sep 2023 23:05

That setup always gave me headaches. Literally. Now I run a Honda EU2200i with a regular cheapo 1500W space heater to get to 75 degrees ( 24 Celsius ) in almost no time. LP Martin 8000 to maintain.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Sep 2023 06:04

Those Marlin heaters are the bees knees. Direct vent and look really nice.

How big of a building do you have a 8k btu in?

# Posted: 29 Sep 2023 06:41

The LP Martin 8000 can handle 192 ft2 according to the manual . They base this on standard 8ft ceilings , new construction built to code (properly sealed, insulation, ect.)

My space is 160 ft but I have 13 ft ceilings. So you have to calculate by 1.5 because it's actually 1.5 stories. Then I have 8 HUGE windows 4ft X 4ft EACH, basically surrounded by walls of all glass to contend with. Going into the build I knew it would make the space colder . But at least I get to stare at the stars from my bed every night.

The Martin control valves require a higher input , so standard BBQ regulators won't work. Preferably one rated for 400,000 BTU with 14 inch water column of pressure going into the unit (the appliance reduces it to 11 inches at the control valve) . Manufacturer also recommends using 100LB tanks , but 22LB tanks are working fine at the moment.

I recommend running a small fan 24 / 7 under the unit shooting air up through the unit. I use a 5VDC USB Desk fan. It cools the temperature sensor which is placed too close the burner ( Not Martin's fault it's physically the only place the can place the sensor ) . The unit runs cooler , is more efficient and you essentially have a forced air furnace that you can safely leave on 24 / 7 that can handle massive temperature swings . Currently day temps are 22-24 and night temps drop to 2 - 4 . But inside it's always 24 C ( 75 F ) .

Best money I've ever spent. Phenomenal heaters . Support is great . Any negative reviews you hear online is most certainly user error , namely installation.

paulz
# Posted: 29 Sep 2023 11:19

That is a nice looking unit. Maybe too small for my 12x24x15 plus bathroom. I currently have a direct vent Williams 30k btu. I haven’t been using it because it takes about as long as the wood stove to do any good. Plus this year the control valve quit working so now I have direct LP to the burner. Works fine since I don’t use the thermostat or leave it on at night.
IMG_1528.jpeg
IMG_1528.jpeg

spencerin
# Posted: 29 Sep 2023 22:37

I have the Martin 20k BTU version, heating 336 sq. ft. with a cathedral ceiling. So far so good! 👍

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Sep 2023 23:21

Ours is 16x 24ish c/w cath ceiling and the mid-long wall 30k btu unit does just Ok when bitter cold.
Im keeping my eye out for a 40-50K unit.

Malamute
# Posted: 30 Sep 2023 01:11

There have been recent news bits about gas stoves emitting benzene, a carcinogen. Something else to consider.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Sep 2023 09:30

Quoting: Malamute
Something else to consider.

That's one reason I don't like any kind of device or appliance that does not use direct venting to the exterior.

groingo
# Posted: 30 Sep 2023 18:30

Thermal undies plus when you fart in them nobody can hear it!

paulz
# Posted: 1 Oct 2023 11:07

Thereby ending most of my spousal communication..

Read that ventless heaters were outlawed in some states years ago. Law was repealed in all but California, not sure of status today.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Oct 2023 09:40

Quoting: gcrank1
Ours is 16x 24ish c/w cath ceiling and the mid-long wall 30k btu unit does just Ok when bitter cold.
Im keeping my eye out for a 40-50K unit

Are you useing it for your only heat source? How cold does it get?

I'm looking for something to help when we innitaly get there before the wood stove kicks in for a 20x24'. It gets in the single digits at night.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Oct 2023 18:00

South central WI has lots of below 32*f winter weather and nights, some well below 0. We discovered that going into a dead cold cabin (ie, Everything is ambient temp COLD) takes a long time to warm up to a comfortable interior temp. More btu's is better for that if you dont want to be huddlin around the stove!
Once the stuff inside has sufficiently warmed kicking back the stat holds pretty well, it is that initial warm up that is rough.
For us, going in (most likely man-hauling in from the road 100+ yards) to dead cold cabin in anything below freezing is generally not all that good a time, especially if there is deep snow because in out 70's we aint deep snow capable any more. Just our reality, YMMV

paulz
# Posted: 5 Oct 2023 11:35

Probably old news to most of you but in my quest to cut down on battery usage I just rediscovered this propane powered bread toaster I had lying around. Big saving over the high watt electric toaster. Holds 4 slices.
IMG_1565.jpeg
IMG_1565.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Oct 2023 13:53

Beware the smoke!

ICC
# Posted: 5 Oct 2023 17:59

I like my toast medium brown and crispy/crunchy on the outside while retaining some softness in the center. I bought one of those probably 45 to 50 years ago and found that what it produced was dried-out bread. It made me give up toast on camping trips.

My solution at the cabin is to have a large enough battery capacity to enable the use of an electric popup toaster as well as an electric kettle to boil water every morning. Not to mention the use of a high-end blender for a smoothie.

My more costly solution is not for everyone, I know.

I do love a toasted peanut butter sandwich very much. For that I use the peanut butter I keep in the fridge as it doesn't drip out from between the toasted bread so readily.

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Oct 2023 23:36

My little 12v system (100ah LFP) runs a 750w msw inverter that runs a 2 slice pop-up 600w toaster just fine. Its a quick run of a morning, or anytime Id like a good piece of toast, so it doesnt deplete the bat too much. Btw, cheap msw inverters are fine for resistance heat elements. The only time this inverter is on is when I want toast
For me a deep golden brown piece of toast from a good loaf of bread topped with butter is a perfect cabin food.

FishHog
# Posted: 6 Oct 2023 08:31

Agreed those toaster are great at drying out toast.
But these ones are awesome null
8100E87EDEE44D738.png
8100E87EDEE44D738.png

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Oct 2023 09:28

Currently unavailable

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 6 Oct 2023 10:29 - Edited by: Aklogcabin

Kinda seems like me n you ,Paul,like to buy the same stuff. I have one of those toasters at our cabin for toast. Here's how I make toast. I put an ember from the woodstove on the tin plate and it sets on the top of the woodstove. This is chaga bread. I made fresh bread at the cabin and use chaga tea.
Won't let me load the picture. But you get the idea

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Oct 2023 16:19

I dug out my old milkhouse 1350/1500w elec heater today to take the chill out of the living room (pulled out the window ac also); our weather turned suddenly from mid-70's f to mid-50's.
It has tested out good so Im thinking of taking it to the cabin to run off the little Champ 1750/2000w gen.
I just looked it up, a 1500w elec heater is equiv to 5000+ btu's.
I need to burn up the eth-blend tank of gas in the gen anyway to put non-eth premium in for the winter.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.