Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Wildlife at the cabin
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:12

I’m blessed to have a good opportunities for seeing wildlife at our cabin and enjoy sharing with others.
What cabin- wildlife stories you got ?

frankpaige
# Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:50

Up on the ladder finishing up siding one spring. Noise had me turning my head to see medium black bear just ambling along. Thoughts ran to... Gun or Camera, camera or gun. Glad to have that picture on the cabin wall today. That and just listening to the coyotes howl at night.

justinbowser
# Posted: 27 Apr 2020 22:58

We have black bear in the neighborhood but have not seen one, plenty of coons, armadillos, squirrels, and the occasional possum. There are hogs and coyotes around, too, but have not seen them but hear the coyotes. Wife saw a deer one morning when she got up and we have caught several on the game cams.

Nobadays
# Posted: 28 Apr 2020 08:29

Deer all through the summer . They hang around even when I'm running chainsaw as they like the tender Aspen leaves from the tops. Had an elk pass through a week ago, don't see them often but every spring we see them on and off in and around the place. Saw one black bear last year ambling up the road above us, never saw it again, maybe this summer. Foxy is a different story, we see her several times a week.... kind of a pet to all the folks up here. We didn't feed her last year then found out everyone gives her handouts. Now she will come up to the back steps and wait for my wife to come out and feed her whatever scraps of meat we have. Pic was in February.
Foxy
Foxy

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 29 Apr 2020 13:32

I’m watching a yearling moose grazing on the hillside just outside the window, surprised that I don’t see it’s mother. I wonder if it’s mom just had a new calf and chased it off? I’ve not seen any signs of bears this spring, but my beagle tells me they are about.

The ermine population has exploded and they are everywhere. All still white, but that should change. The snow shoe hares are turning color fast.

I haven’t seen or heard a wolf in a couple of years, but the coyotes are out and about. The lynx are abundant too, no doubt enjoying the hares.

We have a marmot family that moved in last year, which is strange as they are typically at higher elevation. They burrowed in and around my potatoes last year impacting yield. I’ve been hoping my beagle would take care of the issue but he hasn’t. My wife doesn’t want me to do the job, so I need to encourage the dog to get busy.

The sand hill cranes and ducks showed up last week and are about ready to head further north. I always enjoy hearing and seeing them.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Apr 2020 18:36 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

We have black bears, moose, wolves, white tail and mule deer, turkey, cougar, bobcat, coyotes and a huge host of the other typical varmints.
Bear on my picnic table
Bear on my picnic table

deercula
# Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:39

I don't need to use the outhouse anymore. I just need to change my shorts!
Bearatcamp_1__Edi.jpg
Bearatcamp_1__Edi.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 May 2020 08:18

Ah, deercula, he was just looking for food, come out of hibernation awful hungy. The bear I had at my place, never let me see him, he was petrified of me, just looking for easy meal. If not for my game camera, I would of never spotted him.

They are cute looking.

Eddy G
# Posted: 1 May 2020 15:02

We’ve had Bear and Deer walk right up to the cabin door (10’ away)...Turkey’s too...
Ducks, geese, loons and cranes in the pond but hands down without question the most impressive creature that’s graced us at the cabin was a couple of American Eagles....
I was out on the deck and it was as if a plane was crossing overhead without any noise...It cast a huge shadow so I immediately looked up. It was flying in low to the tree line and circling the cabin when another one came swooping in...They started chasing and playing with one another....I was able get my wife and we watched them for a few minutes until they flew off out of site....They where breath taking

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.