Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New cabin. 22x 28
<< . 1 . 2 .
gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Feb 2021 12:59

Might be an option for me short of putting in a whole house septic for a 2 person 'weekender' cabin. Even if I did it sans permit it would be sanitary and show my good intensions should I ever get questioned about how we handle 'it'.
Thanx for the tip!

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 25 Feb 2021 14:32

Yep. It’s just a “weekender” for us.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:13 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

We finally have ice out here in Minnesota. I’m heading up to the cabin this morning for my first go round of weekend construction this year. It’s still 20s at night here so this first weekend I’m going to stay at a lodge nearby every night instead of tenting below freezing. I have 3 primary goals this weekend.

1. Install boat ramp
2. Build shed
3. Move materials

Installation of our dock won’t happen until August- so I built a shoreline boat ramp that I will use in the meantime to dock and crank my boat on shore. This is more or less like a boat trailer made out of wood that sits on shore. There a capstan (for lack of a better word) with winch on the front of the ramp-just like
A trailer. The boat is winched on to two big 20’ long 2 x10 runners. I’ve already assembled and I’m transporting my shore ramp in the boat itself as I bring it up today.

Long story short-The terrain of our cabin makes dock installation challenging - as roll in and/or floating docks can’t be used. My shoreline is too deep for a roll in dock and I don’t have anywhere to pull a floating dock on shore in the winter. The solution is either a “lift” dock that is kind of like a drawbridge or a permanent dock- both are used primarily on the lakes around our area. I’m not going to tackle this myself and after much deliberation will pay someone to get a good dock setup that I never have to worry about.

This weekend I’ll transport and install the ramp first. This will be challenging with the cold water but once it’s in I shouldn’t have to ever touch water again. I’ll put it on the shoreline and anchor it around a tree with a chain to keep it in place.

After that the next step will be to level and build my 8x10 shed. First I need to clear a site for the shed. I’ve taken down most of the large trees already- so I shouldn’t need to do any *major clearing. The foundation for the shed is just two 6x6 treated skids. This may be quick or slow- depending on whether I can find level ground for the skids. If not I have some concrete and may have to mix up a batch and pour a pad or two to level a corner or a few corners first. I may also entertain leveling the skids with logs underneath for now. I can always go back and re-level/ repour under the skids at a later date. Waiting on concrete will kill my productivity for the weekend... I want to accomplish this shed build first so I have a place to stay during construction. That will be my living quarters until the cabin is complete/ livable. It’ll be nice to not have to pitch a tent every weekend. I’ll be able to have a bed in the shed as well as keep food / supplies. For water I’ll haul in 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids. I already have a gatorade water cooler with spout that I can set up in the shed to use to dispense. I’ll keep a Coleman stove in the shed as well.

As far as materials- we have everything about 100-150 ft from the build site now. I’d like to get a start at organizing materials in order of when I’ll need them in the build as well as moving some to the site. I think I will just pick them and move most of them as i need them during the build but if I get done with the shed early this weekend I might spend half a day just moving some piles.

If I can get the shed finished I will consider the weekend a success!
6B64CBCA0EEF485CA.png
6B64CBCA0EEF485CA.png
6F11C1226BE14DA2A.jpeg
6F11C1226BE14DA2A.jpeg
43AA4F4991BE47948.jpeg
43AA4F4991BE47948.jpeg

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 19 Apr 2021 07:49 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Weekend was an overwhelming success.

Boat ramp installed and works perfect. Better than I thought. I budgeted a few hours for installation but it only took an hour.

Shed went up easily as well. I forgot staples however so I couldn’t wrap the shed or put tarpaper on the roof. Instead I just covered the roof with two layers of tarp- I fastened quitewell so it should do the job!I will definitely wrap it when I get back but may just leave roof like this until/ if it leaks.

I also did a lot of clearing. I had to clear out a pocket for the shed and also cleared for the outhouse.

[img=null]null[/img]
37CD6A590D154E7BA.jpeg
37CD6A590D154E7BA.jpeg
A17623C6293449C99.jpeg
A17623C6293449C99.jpeg
7CA51DB8688D4B99A.jpeg
7CA51DB8688D4B99A.jpeg
70515D29091F4DBCA.jpeg
70515D29091F4DBCA.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Apr 2021 14:10

Yer an animal, I need you at my place!

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.