Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 27 . 28 . >>
ssaunde1
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 08:52

old buddy sorry to hear about your road. I have a problem with a spring on my road. I hope to put a culvert in some time in the spring. Iam new to the site and haven't figured out how to post pictures. When I do, I will post my cabin that will go up in the spring also. Thats if my permit gets approved.

trollbridge
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 10:16

good luck, I hope your permit gets approved. looking forward to watching your project come along.

old buddy
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 21:37

Well, Old Old Buddy is in the cabin...and armed. lol He was looking forward to tonight for a long time. I'll have to wait until later this week before I can join him. He did tell me that he got a lot of the wiring finished as well as putting a dusk to dawn light up for the grandkids. I think he's trying to relive his boy scout days earning an "Order of the Arrow" award for his solo stay. lol

oldbuddy
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 15:24

ssaunde1
Our road has about three springs on it. The road is packed dirt and in some places has a sandstone mixture but our real problem is ascending about 600-700 feet within 4/10 miles. During this time of the year a lot of the road just turns to about 2"-3" of mud, thereby preventing us from getting up the hill without four-wheeler (and I don't mean a 4X4 as in truck either). We just got the Honda Foreman and I have been extremely impressed with it. Yesterday I went up the hill with a combined weight of approximately 1100 pounds PLUS the weight of the Honda, for a GVW of nearly 1700 pounds! Unless I hit the lottery and can get the entire road paved, my Chevy 4X4 will be at the bottom of hill for some time (until the ground freezes).

Good luck on getting your pics on this site. If you contact my son (Old Buddy) he can help you out. He posts all pics for me and him. I go by Old Old Buddy but always sign in under "Old Buddy."

Hope to hear from you and your build. Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 15:51

Well, ......I put in my first night and it was a great time! My best friend and I got all the electrical boxes and wiring run yesterday for the generator. I think we ended up with six recepticle boxes and one light switch for a hanging light in front of the loft area. We even put a recepticle in the rear loft area for the kiddies so they can run a small lamp until they fall asleep. Ha. I didn't run any insulation yet and believe it or not, it took me almost three hours to sweep all the wood shavings up and organize everything. I put up a temporary cabinet to keep our sundry items (paper products, condiments, etc), as well. We also put up a 100 watt dusk-to-dawn light about 20' high which will run off the generator as well. Yes....it's for the kiddies too. It gets so dark in those woods that I thought it might humor them with interior lights as well as an outside perimeter light.

My wife bought me two Cabella's aluminum cots for my birthday so I broke one in last night. I had the wood-stove backed down when I retired for the evening and I must have slept from about 10PM until 1:40 AM and I woke up "cold." Not shivering but the temp droppeda good bit in the cabin. I was due for my nature call anyway, so it didn't take but a stirring of the hot coals before adding three more logs and I had a good fire going within about five minutes. It's not a big stove but the lack of insulation is the main reason it cools off so quick. Anyway.......it was a good night. I woke up at 6:00 AM and stoked up the fire a bit and went outside and sat at my picnic table waiting for my animal feeder (another birthday present from my wife) to come on at 7:00 AM. Within five minutes I had two does feeding off the corn on the ground. They stayed for about 25-30 minutes and hopped into the woods. It was really enjoyable watching them. I thought about going in the cabin to get my camera (before they showed up) and realized that I was locked out! I have never locked the door before last night but I wasn't going to sleep without locking the door. When I went out it, I forgot to turn the button and Duh! I was able to remove a screen and slithered in one of the large windows. Thank God we always leave the windows unlocked. I hope and pray it will be the first of many great times for our children, grandchildren and for my wife and I.

Old Old Buddy

My wife

wactober
# Posted: 5 Dec 2011 18:39

Old Old Buddy,
I saw in one of your posts in another thread your cabin is in Jefferson County. I grew up in Jefferson County.....Smithfield to be exact. I was all over Jefferson County as a youngster. I still live in Ohio, only in the flat part of west cental Ohio. I miss the hills!!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 5 Dec 2011 19:26

I grew up in Brilliant...if that tells you anything! I lived all over Ohio (northeast, southeast and southwest but never northwest. Our daughter lives in Grove City...probably not too far from you.

Old Old Buddy

Tim
# Posted: 5 Dec 2011 20:07

Lots of people in here from Ohio! I am building just north of Dover in Tuscarawas county. Not near as hilly as Jefferson, or quite as beautiful, but still pretty nice. You are in God's country old old buddy!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 5 Dec 2011 23:34

Tim....I don't know if it's quite that nice. Don't forget about all the defunct steel mills and industry. When I grew up in the working force (late sixties-early seventies) this was THE place to work.....but that has all changed. We still have beautiful hills and greenery but we still have our fair share of pollution from power plants, etc.

I'm not knocking where I live but I happen to have a special place in my heart for the Dover, New Philadelphia and Sugarcreek area. I do love the location of the cabin with the sandstone high wall and elevation of 1168 feet but it's difficult to get to at times...which isn't a bad thing I guess. My son (Old Buddy) always says most people would be too lazy to climb 700 feet in elevation...just to see what might be "up there."

But thanks for the compliments. And I really like your siding on your cabin. Very rustic! Old Old Buddy

ssaunde1
# Posted: 6 Dec 2011 13:07

Hi Trollbridge -

I will be posting as soon as I figure out how to add pictures. I have already started on the road, so I can add those pictures. We fixed our bridge and have leveled an area for the cabin. I am on hold because of the weather to complete the road.

We have 8 acres in Little Orleans Maryland. We went up this weekend and a good part on my road is a mess. This after I had it widened and leveled with crush and run. I knew we had a spring, but the cuvert needs to be replaced.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 8 Dec 2011 16:25

Old Buddy, a friend of mine and myself went up to the cabin today to enjoy the afternoon but ended up having a minor problem which will need straightened out during the next trip up.

When I started the fire in the woodstove, I noticed that the smoke from the fire was coming out into the room, instead of going up the chimney. I also noticed that the joints where the chimney pipe come together, we smoking as well, both inside and out. Pulling the dreaft open all the way did not help and I noticed that I no longer heard that sucking sound normally, when you open the draft.

Within a few minutes the smoke was so bad inside, that I had to open all windows and the door to try to get the smoke to clear out. That helped...but did not alleviate the problem. We determined that the screen that we put on top of the stack (To keep firey debris from flying away) had gotten clogged up with sap or kreosote. I guess we were not suppose to put anything on top of the pipe which could cause the problem we are now experiencing.

Anyway...tomorrow the stack comes down and the screen comes off. I'm confident that the problem will be resolved at that point. It was so nice last week-end. Maybe all the wood I burned, helped "clog" the screen, thus, forcing the smoke back down into the cabin. We'll see.

We did stay long enough to fry hot dogs. It was good! Old Old Buddy

Anonymous
# Posted: 9 Dec 2011 13:20

We had that same problem in our little bunkhouse-fixed the problem and no more smoke. Live and learn right?

Glad you're having a grand time otherwise!

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Dec 2011 13:22

sorry...anonymous is really trollbridge :)

oldbuddy
# Posted: 9 Dec 2011 17:41

My son (Old Buddy) and I just got back from the cabin making the necessary repairs to the chimney. The screen on top looked like a wafer cookie coating which was causing the smoke to fill up the cabin. We took the screen off, took the rain cover off and ran the 6" brush up and down the ten foot stack of the chimney to clean out any kreosote which had built up, which wasn't much. If we would not have put the screen on the top, I don't believe we would have had a problem this year. Anyway....we had it fixed in about 30 minutes. The only reason we put the screen on top was for a spark arrestor but I guess the screen squares were much to small. We started a dandy fire and even burned an aluminum can up in the hot coals. I have been told by about three different people to burn a can with each fire and it will help cut down on the kreosote build-up. I don't know if it will, but believe me, I'll burn one with each fire!

We're going back tomorrow morning early including my 31 month old grand-son. Hope to see some deer feeding early and maybe get a little wiring done. Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 14 Dec 2011 20:05

My son and I decided to cut up some of the fallen locust trees that the bull-dozer pushed over about 13 months ago, when he made the road to get up to the cabin. We cut up enough lengths of trees to make about 50 logs for the wood-burner. We have another pile of locust trees that we layed by the pile that will make another 40-50 logs. That will do us for awhile until we cut up some more. That should burn good and hot and keep the creosote burned out.We're planning on going up Friday late afternoon and staying this week-end while we have two days of deer (gun) season. Old Buddy and I will stay Friday night/Saturday afternoon and my daughter-in-law will stay with him Saturday night/Sunday afternoon to join in on the "hunt."

It should be a great week-end.....just relaxing and having a good time! Old Old Buddy

Tim
# Posted: 14 Dec 2011 20:13

oldbuddy
That locus will burn hotter than anything else you could burn! A little trick I learned years ago when I was a chimney sweep, is to throw a hand full of salt in the fire once a week. It keeps the creasote dried out and it won't build up near as fast. If you look at those chimney cleaning logs that you can buy, the main "active" ingredient in them is "sodium cloride".
Have fun this weekend!
Tim

SEOhio
# Posted: 15 Dec 2011 07:31

Save a few of those locust logs for steps, fence posts, etc. Nature's take on pressure treated wood! We've lined our paths with these.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 15 Dec 2011 07:33

Tim
Thanks for the tip, Tim. Have you ever heard about burning an aluminum can, as well? I'll probably do both!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 15 Dec 2011 07:38

SEOhio
We're going to use three locust posts for the front support pillars for the front porch when we put it up this spring. I know of a fence line my dad had built about 51 years ago and many of the posts are still the original locust posts. Thanks for the tip! Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 16 Dec 2011 20:39

Looked at the deer cam today to check out some pics. I got some nice ones. My "Ohio Big Buck" has returned.
This guy was trying to rob my feeder.

Decent buck.

His slightly bigger brother showed up.

The big boy is back!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 18 Dec 2011 18:10

We have returned from the cabin for the week-end. It was a great time but we didn't bag any vennison. We watched several deer at the feeder while we were sitting inside a warm cabin, but we didn't see any bucks that resembled the "big fellow" above.

We found out the most pressing issue now is.....getting the cabin insulated! We weren't cold...only because we were up every hour-or hour and a half, feeding the wood-stove.(and yes...that includes all night long). There is a great deal of cold air coming in from around the eaves which feels like a cold-air register blowing. I think that once we have it insulated and sealed up, the wood will last a great deal longer. All in all, Old Buddy and our daughter-in-law (Old Buddy's wife) and myself had a real good time. She even saw a fox in the woods that morning!

I would like to get it insulated within the next week. It will make it lot better for the remainder of the winter. At least we're seeing a lot of game. More later.... Old Old Buddy

sweet75
# Posted: 19 Dec 2011 11:42

Great job! Your cabin is a beauty!

I'm so jealous of the plethora of deer and stags that venture onto your property. It's gonna be a great place for your kids to grow up in.

Congratulations on a job well done.

madmo
# Posted: 19 Dec 2011 20:01

Nice cabin!! I wanna come huntin lol

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 Dec 2011 20:02

Here are some more pics of the trip. Snowfall we got that night was nice.

The 16oz steaks and Molson went down nicely.

Theses pics show our temporary living conditions until insulation, wiring, and paneling are finished. there were a lot of drafts to say the least.

In the next pic you will notice a potty chair...Not my idea, I liked the "Luggable Lou" sold at Cabela's. It belongs to Old Old Buddy. lol

Pics from Saturday

Pics from Sunday

Eating steaks every day I was there was getting pretty old. :-)

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 Dec 2011 20:32

Thank you for the comments, previously. We still have a long way to go with finishing the cabin but there is plenty of time for that...God willing. At least we have a lot of wildlife for the kids and grandkids to enjoy!

My son (Old Buddy) is already talking about........ maybe.....thinking about......building on?????? I told him that we need to finish this cabin first. But seriously, we have had a lot of good times building this little cabin on the hill. Hope to hear from you again. Are you currently building a cabin or what? OLD OLD BUDDY

oldbuddy
# Posted: 20 Dec 2011 06:22

SWEET 75-
The above message was for you. I forgot to make it to your attention. Sorry about that...Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Dec 2011 10:23

old buddy and ole old buddy---Fine deer camp
that 11pt is a dandy!!!!!
i enjoy my trails cam's as well.!!!!!!!
i notice the coleman fuel lanterns in the camp pic's-----i have about 40 lanterns and 10 coleman stoves!!!!!...luv the hissing of coleman lantern!!!!! at deer camp on a cold night!!!!!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 20 Dec 2011 16:53

turkeyhunter
Yea...we have about four "older model lanterns" and together I don't think they will make a good one! Old Buddy bought a new propane Coleman and that's the only way to go. It takes the short fat bottles (4/$10.00) and they last quite a while and light so easy.
I can't believehow bright they are. The mantles are about four times the size of the old ones. He fried up about six New York strips last week-end with his Coleman propane stove and they were great too. Propane is "user friendly."

I'd like to see that 11-point during bow season within the next few weeks, as well. Thanks for the comments Turkeyhunter. Hopefully, our next photos will include some insulation shots!

Old Old Buddy

Tim
# Posted: 21 Dec 2011 05:25

oldbuddy
You are in almost exactly the same process as I am . I started my insulation about a week ago. I am now almost half done, working just a couple of hours or so each evening on it. I can notice a difference already in how warm the cabin gets, but still not what I would call warm.

Like you said, I have to feed the fire almost constantly, and keep it really hot to stay warm while I am working.

I am off work next week and hope to finish the insulation completly. I can't wait to see the difference!

Tim

oldbuddy
# Posted: 24 Dec 2011 21:24

We went on the "hill" today and put another 100# of corn in the feeder. We had to replace the batteries which didn't even last one complete week. The game-camera took 1876 pictures in the past week, of course many were of the same deer, turkey, raccoon. We put in the new batteries and moved the camera back away from the feeder where their path looks very worn travelling to and from their meals. The good thing is that the deer are present just about around the clock.

We're planning on insulating on Tuesday, December 27th. Hope to get the ceiling done...at least.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year! Old Old Buddy

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.