Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 27 . 28 . >>
old buddy
# Posted: 25 Dec 2011 21:47

I know this isn't a hunting forum...but it is that time of year, anyways here is another shot of my big friend. lol

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Dec 2011 22:35 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

great pic and in the DAYLIGHT during late season===if you dont get him this season---put some wire or bungee cords around those feeder legs and when he goes after the golden acorns, he will snag those horns and you will get his sheds at least----i would put those up in feb or so----be cool to have his sheds from this year and kill hom the next----good luck and merry christmas--------

BTW=--what corn running up your way??? down here in the south 9.50 50 lbs at tractor supply---

oldbuddy
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 07:19

It's $10.99 for 50 pounds at Tractor Supply. We did get 200 # at a Farm Bureau in Barnesville about 2 weeks ago for $7.49 for 50#. That's a great buy (for now) but my buddy lives in Barnesville and brought it to us that particular time. It's just too far to drive (50 mile) to save the difference on gas now. Thanks for the comments and good luck on your hunt. Old Old Buddyoldbuddy

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 17:43

What do you mean by "his sheds"? Sorry not a hunter.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 20:17

Erins#1Mom
Turkeyhunter is talking about his antlers, which male deer drop every year. A lot of people (women in particular) are unaware that deer drop their antlers each year in late winter. Next year he'll probably be just as big or bigger, but it depends on a lot of things, but mostly it depends on his diet. His heredity also plays into it...where the saying big bucks breed big bucks, comes from. If next year was a real tough winter and he got very little nutrition to eat he could maybe only be a four-pointer.....or something like that. But, Old Buddy and I plan on pouring the corn into him and his friends, so hopefully, he'll be bigger yet.

I just love to watch them feeding. Their feeder looks like a herd of 100 buffalo ran across our land with all the hoof prints in the mud. We'll be there tomorrow to check the batteries and level of corn.

I hope that answers your question, Erins#1 Mom!

Old Old Buddy

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 20:24

Thanks, that answers my question. We have a very large deer population here and my brother has a automatic feeder but I haven't gotten into the whole deer hunting thing....

oldbuddy
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 19:33

Here's another pic. Muzzleloader season is the weekend after next. Hopefully this weekend we will insulate so we are able to stay that weekend...feeding the fire every hour or so is not fun. lol I hope I can get him.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 20:16

great pic of 'the buck" on Christmas morning---like the curved brow tine--he's killable for sure---daylight pic of that nice a buck this late in the season= SWEET!!!!!----get him old old buddy!!!! send a sabot and some triple 7 blackpowder his way!!!!!!!!

ErinsMom
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 20:17

he's beautiful.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 31 Dec 2011 20:11

Well.....we finally got nearly all the cabin insulated. Got the ceiling, both loft ends, front wall and two side walls...half way complete. We could not believe how easy it was to heat the place with the ceiling and two loft ends done! It seemed like most heat loss was from the boxed in eaves...believe it or not. Once we finished with the eaves and ceiling it was very noticeable after that. We went three hours with a 2" and 6" inch log in the wood burner. It held 70-72 degrees for three hours. Now I know how Tim feels! Anyway...now all we have to worry about is how to control the heat. I welcome the challenge.

Everyone ......I hope you have a healthy, happy, prosperous New Year!

Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 31 Dec 2011 20:17

old old Buddy--glad you got some of the insulation done---makes a huge difference---- takes a lot less wood to keep ya warm for sure!!!!
Happy New Year!!!!!!!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 31 Dec 2011 20:28

turkeyhunter
Thank you Turkeyhunter. I can't believe how much wood we have fed that stove before we insulated. What a difference! Have a great New Year!

cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 31 Dec 2011 23:02

Wow that's a beautiful buck for sure. Do you have any bear around your property?

I was going to get one of those tripod feeders for our camp but I was told by a guy working at Cabella's that since we have bears they would tear it up. We're going to build a motorized feeder on a barrel that can be winched up onto a tree limb to try to keep it away from the bears.

I was just wondering if bears ever gave you any problems with yours.

Happy New Year.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 31 Dec 2011 23:48

cabinbiscuits
There have been a few confirmed reports of black bear in the Ohio Valley area must generally, they are limited to West Virginia and Pa. Ohio has had several sightings in the past five years (confirmed by multiple verifications and video) but to answer your question, I believe they are few and far between on the Ohio side of the river. With three small grandchildren.....I sure hope we don't have any close by.

We're located north of Wheeling, West Virginia, about 17 miles, on the Ohio side, obviously. We're just west of the Ohio River a few miles by the way the crow flies. Where are you located?

Just for your info....Old Buddy (my son) and I had to move the feeder today. It was literally sitting in a small black lake about 20 feet in diameter. The animals have torn the ground up so bad (deer, coons and TURKEYS) and the ground is saturated with water so bad that it all turned to a watery lake! I swear......it looks like a herd of buffalo ran threw the area.

After we moved it about 50 feet closer to our cabin in thick grass we worried that the deer would not come back for quite awhile. No need....a nice buck (which had already dropped his antlers) showed up within 45 minutes and stayed for at least 3/4 hour cleaning all the fresh corn off the ground!

Good luck with your feeder and Happy New Year to you as well!

Old Old Buddy

cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 1 Jan 2012 00:20

oldbuddy

Our land is located in the coal regions of east central Pennsylvania in Schuylkill County.

We have bears on our land for sure. We have videos of them on our trail cam including a mom and three cubs in the spring of this year. My son would love to hunt the bears, but I won't let him because I want to make sure they stay around.

Do you guys find that the deer tend to follow the feeding times on your feeder? We have been just using a tube feeder that will allow them to come and eat at whatever time they want. We're hoping that with the motorized timed feeder we can get them into a pattern. We had a 13 point buck that would only show up in the middle of the night. It would be nice to get him to come out in the daytime.

I know where Wheeling is, my wife's grandfather used to live in Weirton, WV and her other grandparents used to live in Steubenville, OH. Nice folks back that way. We used to travel back that away alot.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 1 Jan 2012 00:47

cabinbiscuits
To tell you the truth...the deer are showing up just about around the clock and we're only feeding them two times a day (7:00AM and 2:45 PM). It's strange but the big boy is usually there three times a day but he is always there for sure once a day within a thirty minute time period during the daylight! We also have two "wild-berry blocks" set out and they love them too. They come from Tractor Supply. We were feeding three times a day but I had already spent over about $150 with a month on feed and decided to cut it down to twice a day. It hasn't appeared to have any effect on their coming to the feeder. I hope that answers your question but my feeling is "..if you build it........they will come.! Ha!

Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 11:20

Old Buddy and I are going to brave the elements and go back today to finish the insulating. I may work on the wiring while I'm there....we'll see. We'll post a few pics when we return. We couldn't believe how much lighter it got inside with the tan backing as opposed to the dark treated plywood. Today should do it....just in time for muzzle-loader season this coming week-end!

Old Old Buddy

Montanan
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 13:21

Congrats on getting the insulation done. It makes a HUGE difference in retaining heat. We were so pleased over the holiday that our place would still be about 62 F in the mornings- a combination of a good stove and tight insulation.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 19:59

Montanan
Yea...the cabin was 35 degrees when we arrived at about 12:30 PM. I started the fire with fairly small kindling and put some pieces of 2X4's cut into quarters lengthwise and once that caught on, I put a 6" log on top and opened up the damper! It took it twenty minutes top go from 35 to 62. I was real happy with that so I "backed the damper down" and Old Buddy and I started in to insulating. We finished up about 3:30 and he decided he wanted to cut a tall, crooked, locust tree down that was blocking the view of looking straight through the woods to a site that we want to erect a target stand roughly 200 yards away. There is a big valley between that location and the cabin but at least now, we can see which trees need to come down before summer. He and I both like to play around with a .308 tactical rifle and to be honest, that would be the longest shot we have made with it. About a year ago, I was real heavy into reloading and loaded up almost 700 rounds of different bullet weights and powder charges. It should be interesting. We'll post the targets, shot at them and then get on the four wheeler and drive around "the horn" to check them out.

Anyway...after we cut that locust down (which turned out to be about 30" at the base and extremely crooked) when we returned to the cabin it was one hour later and the temp in the cabin was still at 66 degrees with no wood added for the past two hours. I was happy with it! It was nice to sit back and watch the deer feeding in "my T-shirt. Ha!

We'll post some pics when Old Buddy comes over. Have a great new year Montanan Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 22:04

old old buddy---glad ya'll got the insulation done---
so a buck has shed already....it was not the big boy was it????
i tell ya corn will put ya in the poor house ( the prices have really went up this year!!!) , i put out another 50 lb bag today at my trail cam and in the feeder....
good luck on the smoke pole season----

oldbuddy
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 22:38

No, thankfully it wasn't the big boy. It was nice to sit in a warm cabin w/o loading the stove real often. The following pics are of the completed insulation. I hope the next pic of the big boy is with me holding him by the horns. lol
Old Old Buddy always complains that there aren't enough pics showing him working...leading people to believe that Old Buddy does all or most of the work. lol

Here's a pic of the tow rig in front of "the mountain" as my nephew calls it.

Here's the insulation.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 22:46

good job--the insulation looks great----come to think of it never saw a pic of old old buddy working!!!!!!!!!! LOL
i have a stove just like that stored in my barn---made by Birmingham Stove works out of AL. I bought it about 25 years ago at a pawn shop ( used) ......good luck on that big buck----maybe old old buddy will get him........ :-)

oldbuddy
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 23:06

turkeyhunter
To be honest, I think Old Buddy will get him. I'll probably be on hand to help "clean-up" and hopefully, drive the Honda if we can drive to his lay-down location. He's a nice buck but we've had several 4, 6, 8 and at least a 10 point that come to the feeder regularly. They just aren't real big bodied deer. This big guy looks nice. But if he lives to see another year...it won't bother me. I love to watch them feed.

The stove is a Log-wood. I'm not sure if it's made by Birmingham Stove or not. I have a huge pot belly in my garage about 5and a half feet high, probably 28-30 inches in diameter and comes apart in 5 pieces. It was made by Bellaire Stove Company in Bellaire, Ohio, just south of me about 17 miles along the Ohio River. It was made just prior to or at the beginning of the 20th century. It's for a BIG cabin.

Old Buddy and I just love sitting in the cabin in the warmth, enjoying the quiet time! All we need to do this winter is to cut down several trees for next winter and to complete my wiring. That won't take too long. All I need to do is wire each receptacle.

Have a great new year, Turkeyhunter. We'll talk to you later. I have to get up at 0600 hours. Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 19:41

We had to make a trip up to the cabin this afternoon due to the pop rivots coming out of the stove pipe capyesterday. It was flapping and we feared that with all the record rain we've had in the last month, it might allow water down the chimney and into the stove. I ensured the new one would not come loose after putting 3/8" bolts in it. lol
Here's a shot of it.

Here's yet another picture of Old Old Buddy finally paying his dues at the cabin. lol

The snow coming down sure was pretty.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 19:45

old old buddy---pic of you working looks STAGED!!!!!!!
( just joking :-) ) looks like you were really getting the snow today---the bolts will hold it just fine!!!! any new trail cam pic of the big boy??? i bet they would be hittng the corn hard today.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 19:52

We just "had" to fire the stove up, after the repair to the "shanty cap." Within twenty minutes it went from 32 degrees inside to 66 degrees. About an hour before we were got ready to leave the cabin to come home, I put a large log (6") on the coals and opened her up! It was 75 in the cabin when we closed the door behind us!

The snowfall was beautiful to watch. At least we got all the mud from the tires cleaned out. What a mess it left on floor of the garage from yesterday's mud. The tires were squeaky clean when we parked it tonight.

Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 20:00

turkeyhunter
The picture WAS NOT STAGED! It wasn't snowing until we screwed that shanty cap on and I had to walk it up the ladder.

If you'll check back about four pages...you'll find that Old Buddy is not one to flirt with the heighths...if you know what I mean. That leaves all the high work to Dad.

We did see a pic of the Big Boy at 0050 hours today but that was the last one. Since we moved the camera away from the feeder, we may miss a lot of deer activity but at least we know he's always around.

In regard to the bolts in the shanty cap, it looks like he had to fire the air compressor up at home to tighten the bolts with an air wrench! LOL! It will not come off this time.

I got to go.....I'm hungry and I haven't had dinner.

Old Old Buddy

howboutit
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 10:13

Great article looks like loads of fun, thanks for sharing

TimJ
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 20:24

oldbuddy
Hey! Insulation looks great! Isn't it wonderful? Now you will really enjoy being there. Nice work,
Tim

oldbuddy
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 09:32

TimJ
We tried the new "insulated" cabin out this past Friday/Saturday stay. It was unseasonably warm that night (low of about 35 degrees), and when we went to bed, I decided to put two small logs on the fire, hoping to last through most of the night. MISTAKE! Within about thirty minutes, we had all four windows comletely open due to the heat. We slept all night with no blankets and never closed the windows. At one point it was 90 degrees inside. Live and learn. I guess if we would have just left the fire as it was and wouldn't have put the two logs on at 11:00 PM, the heat would have lasted for several hours.

Another suggestion from a fellow cabin person was to just put a green small log on the coals at bed time and since it wouldn't burn very well, it would keep the stove warm for a lot longer but not necessarily hotter. I think it makes sense so we'll just have to try it.

It still beats shivvering.....! Thanks for the comments.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.