Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Starting my cabin!!
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Spencie
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 11:41

SonnyB

You have a beautiful place. Thanks for posting all the pics.

SonnyB
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 10:01

Your welcome Spencie!

Still a work in progress. Hope I can have it done by next year!

SonnyB
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 14:01

Ok Im heading up tomorrow to meet my soil engineer so I can have a septic put in. My county will not allow me to have power till I have a septic approved and installed because they said people build small cabin and then even live in them!

Hope to have my son Ransom and his friend Jake come up also and help with the last of the building wrap and the last four windows! Then we will be dried in!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 14 Jan 2013 13:49

We are offically "dried in"!

Finished house wrap and all windows installed! One of the window we could not get to lock and looked close at the lock after about 15 mins of rechecking square. And noticed the lock part of the window was installed at the factory backwards.

Started on the loft floor and hope to get a little more done next weekend.
20130113_Jake_and_.jpg
20130113_Jake_and_.jpg
20130112_starting_.jpg
20130112_starting_.jpg
20130112_loft_floo.jpg
20130112_loft_floo.jpg

SonnyB
# Posted: 17 Jan 2013 11:45

Going to be snowing up in NGA the next few days. We are wanting to go up and see some snow Sat. but still depends if we get ice or snow. Need to get the wood burning stove installed so we can have a little heat!

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Jan 2013 11:48

Congrats on getting dried in...next big accomplishment...wood stove! Yay!

Hope you get to go this weekend!

SonnyB
# Posted: 18 Jan 2013 11:03

Thanks trollbridge!

It is exciting to have it dried in!

SonnyB
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 08:57

Hearth built and wood stove set in place. The pipe should be here in about 1 week and then we will have some heat!
20130119_wood_stov.jpg
20130119_wood_stov.jpg
20130119_Wood_stov.jpg
20130119_Wood_stov.jpg

SonnyB
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 22:31

Was just told that the pipe will cost $1,000.00 plus $200.00 to install!

I thought a grand is a lot for pipe!!??

Timberjack
# Posted: 25 Jan 2013 08:07

That triple walled pipe is expensive. I remember I was in shock when I priced mine also. Shop around and you may be able to find it a little cheaper, I got mine from Hart's Hearth.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Jan 2013 10:15

i picked up a metalbestos kit in Maine last year at a yard sale....used but in perfect....i paid the large sum of 50 bucks for the whole kit...i installed in in my cabin this past Dec. really hated cutting a hole in my green metal roof...BUT sitting by a nice warm fire in camp is so nice!!!! i bought the single wall pipe from a local hardware store, that goes from fisher stove to ceiling.....

http://www.nextag.com/metalbestos-chimney-pipe/compare-html

SonnyB
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 09:02

I will not be working on my cabin for a while. My home burnt to the ground last Tues. We lost everything but no one was hurt. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers!

Insurance said it would take about 6-8 months to settle everything. We are in a rental now and just glad no one was hurt.

Hopefully after I rebuild this home I can finish up my cabin!
20130129_074649_.jpg
20130129_074649_.jpg
20130129_075054_.jpg
20130129_075054_.jpg
20130129_080336_.jpg
20130129_080336_.jpg
20130129_080350_.jpg
20130129_080350_.jpg

Popeye
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 10:51

Sorry for your families loss!

manny
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 11:59

Wow!!! So sorry for your loss. Glad know one was hurt. Keep your chin up.

SonnyB
# Posted: 10 Mar 2013 16:32

Thanks for the concerns!

Will start in a few weeks rebuilding my home and then maybe I can start back on the cabin!

dk1393
# Posted: 11 Mar 2013 10:19

My friend had his house burn down a year ago. They hired an arbitrator and it sped up the insuance proces quite a bit. Good luck. I'm glad everyone is ok.

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Mar 2013 10:50

OMG...I missed this before but want to let you know I'm so, so sorry
What a shame. I'm glad nobody was hurt also, but wow, still such a shame. How did the fire start?

You bet I will keep you in my prayers! Let's hope you can put this behind you as quickly as possible. Chin up

hattie
# Posted: 11 Mar 2013 12:34

Holy cow, how did I miss this?!!! Oh I am so sorry for you and your family! Thank heavens no one was hurt and you had insurance, but that won't replace the personal things that are gone. I am so very, very sorry!!!! Please keep us posted how you are making out. My prayers are with you and your family!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 12 Mar 2013 15:15

The fire mashall said it was electrical. The house was old and was first built in the 50s and has been added onto many times. We count our blessings that it happened around 7:15am because we were all gone. If it would have happened a few hours earlier it could have been really bad. Here of a few pictures after the fire, motorcycle, truck 35 feet away from the home.

I will keep everyone posted and thanks again!
front_and_side.jpg
front_and_side.jpg
Front_of_home.jpg
Front_of_home.jpg
My_truck.jpg
My_truck.jpg
My_motorcycle.jpg
My_motorcycle.jpg

Just
# Posted: 12 Mar 2013 15:50

I can't imagine your loss ,.
got to get better..

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Mar 2013 17:25

omg.this is our worst nitemare.i am so so sorry for this loss Sonny.we live in a wildfire area and we have had a fire in the back of our woods and it burnt up some trees.seems the fella who owns the land connect to ours did not read about when u are allowed to burn.so swoosh.up came a fire.then another time some meth lab blew up and burnt up many peoples propertys and cabins.sure sad.i am so sorry.good luck on starting new.keep us posted.

hattie
# Posted: 13 Mar 2013 13:00

The saddest part is the personal items that will never be replaced - things that might not have a monetary value, but do have a strong emotional value. I look around here and think how devastated I would be if I lost certain items. Whew....I just can't imagine what you must be going through. Big hugs to you and your family!!!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 24 Apr 2013 08:35

Ok we went up to the cabin this last weekend and it was just as we left it two months ago before the house fire.

It was nice to get back up there and just relax and enjoy the sights and smells of the mountains!

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Apr 2013 10:26

Good morning Sonny,
Wow, I still cringe when I scroll past your house fire pictures
How have you been?

It must have been absolutely wonderful getting back to your cabin! Did you feel all your cares just melt away? I'm glad everything was as you left it two months ago...it's a good feeling

Will you be picking up where you left off soon? Or will you have to remain on hold for a while?

SonnyB
# Posted: 29 Apr 2013 08:22

Doing good trollbridge! I have the footings done at my lake home and poured walls are up!! Rain is slowing me down this week but hope to have waterproofing, back fill, and slab poured soon.

I hope I can start back on the cabin some this summer. Had a guy come up and meet me to give me a price on putting decks on and wood siding. But WOW the price he gave me was $3200 for materails and $9,000 for labor! I told the guy I only have $12,000 in the whole cabin now and there is no way I will pay that much for labor.
So I will be back at it soon!

Love the peace when Im in the mountains!

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Apr 2013 08:42

Oh wow...I can't imagine building two places at the same time! You are going to have a very busy summer! I'm glad to hear you are doing well

ErinsMom
# Posted: 29 Apr 2013 18:44

Have not been around much and just read of the fire. I can't begin to imagine losing everything and starting over. I will be thinking of you and yours.

tnky03
# Posted: 1 May 2013 22:17

I've not been on here much for a while and just saw the pics from your house fire, Sonny. I am so sorry but glad everyone was safe. Many years ago I lost a home in a fire at 2am and we were very blessed to get out alive just before the roof caved in. Even years later I'd find myself looking for something only to realize it had burned in the house. I wish you the very best as you rebuild and recover from this tragedy.

SonnyB
# Posted: 10 May 2013 14:36

New home has footings in,walls poured and slab being poured today! No rain!! If it keeps going good I should be back at the cabin in the fall to do some work!

Thanks again for all the thoughts and prays!!

SonnyB
# Posted: 2 Oct 2013 13:59

Ok I am just about done with my home that I am rebuilding from the fire! We should be in the new home in about 2-3 weeks!

In a few weeks I am headed back to the cabin and cant wait! I have only been up there 2 times since the house burnt down. I will start where I left off and will finish up the wood stove so it will be just in time for the cold weather.

I will be posting pictures soon of the work on the cabin!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.