Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / finally ready to share a little, my place in east central MN
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
ShabinNo5
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 16:57

Your place looks great and yes it was a bit cool last night. I was meeting with the local propane company this morning to have a temporary line installed for our Direct Vent wall heater.

Next weekend there should be heat and if the days are clear, be able to spot the orange people along the ridges.

Good Luck with your hunt, I counted 14 deer grazing or crossing the road on the drive home this morning.

Dillio187
# Posted: 7 Dec 2012 21:11

direct vent 18,000 btu heater AND Jotul Combifire 1 installed. The wood stove is GREAT, I forgot how awesome wood heat feels, it's like it warms the soul.
furnace.jpg
furnace.jpg
stove_open.jpg
stove_open.jpg
stove_closed.jpg
stove_closed.jpg
cabin.jpg
cabin.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Dec 2012 20:05

Quoting: Dillio187
The wood stove is GREAT, I forgot how awesome wood heat feels, it's like it warms the soul.

Looks awesome too Dillio! Congrats on getting it installed-now you will stay warm and toasty all winter long!!

Are you at the cabin now preparing for the snowstorm??? Hope you're getting to enjoy being there!

Dillio187
# Posted: 8 Dec 2012 20:31

no, I'm at home, had to rebuild the carb on my snow blower, runs like a top now! bring it on!

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Dec 2012 20:53

LOL...glad you got it rebuilt...now let's hope we really need it...you know how the weather wizards can frequently be wrong

Dillio187
# Posted: 9 Dec 2012 09:04

not looking like it based on the view this morning

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Dec 2012 13:11

Coming very heavily down right now...that's cause Mr. Troll just came in from snow blowing the drive

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 9 Dec 2012 13:46

Where is all your heat loss from?

Dillio187
# Posted: 9 Dec 2012 19:46

yea we have a pile here too. Still snowing....

heat loss? Mostly from the windows being open because the stove makes it a bit warm inside!

Dillio187
# Posted: 9 Dec 2012 23:14

still lightly snowing. It can stop anytime now!
20121209.jpg
20121209.jpg

Oowasa
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 13:30

Dillo - I too am in MN, I just loved the "lightly snowing" we got that day! 18 inches with 3-=40 mph winds. So funny!

I am hoping to buy my land soon as well. I am on the other side of you, west of the twin cities. Very nice place!

Jeffrey

Dillio187
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 17:14

thanks Jeffrey. Living where you do, you have plenty of opportunity for land north and west as well, lots of possibilities! Good luck with your search.

neb
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 19:41

You have a great place!

Dillio187
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 13:19

over the last couple of months I've been able to get the drywall hung on the lower level. Trim work will all be knotty pine, as will the entire ceiling and end walls. I need 1 more sheet for over the door and to cover the light switches. The open area to the left of the door will be left as is, I'm going to build a box to go over it to allow me access to my panel, solar charge controller, wiring, batteries etc.
cabin1.jpg
cabin1.jpg
inverter_batts.jpg
inverter_batts.jpg
cabin2.jpg
cabin2.jpg
cabin3.jpg
cabin3.jpg

Dillio187
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 13:20

my partner in crime was with me as usual. She had a ball playing in the sheetrock dust, much to my dismay!
Piper_sheetrock.jpg
Piper_sheetrock.jpg
piper_cabin.jpg
piper_cabin.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 21:34

Takes on a whole new look with the drywall hung! Will you be taping and sanding or finishing a different way? I'll bet your lab loves going to the cabin with you!

Dillio187
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 23:48 - Edited by: Dillio187

will mud the screw holes for sure. Debating whether to finish the seams, or just cover them with knotty pine molding?

doo-drew
# Posted: 23 Feb 2013 13:39

Great looking place. Question for ya? What's the height in the loft in the middle and 2 corners? Can you walk around up there? I appears you did 8ft walls down with the loft built under the header. Just trying to get an idea if size. Thanks

Dillio187
# Posted: 24 Feb 2013 09:21

in the lower corners it's pretty low, I'm 6'1" and can hunch over and just barely stand there with my back against the ceiling. The top part I just barely have to duck my head.

The loft is actually set on top of the 8" walls and is made out of 2x10's

doo-drew
# Posted: 25 Feb 2013 21:17

Thanks for the info. I'm 6'1" myself. I have considered going with 10ft walls to keep the height downstairs and pick up some in the loft. Also, i could get a decent angle for a covered deck. Your info helps!

Dillio187
# Posted: 26 Feb 2013 08:05

my only thought with taller walls is it's going to be more of a pain to keep evenly heated. Even in my cabin, it's an easy 10-15 degrees warmer in the loft when the wood stove or propane heater is running.

mikehu1966
# Posted: 12 Mar 2013 11:52

looks awesome...

TODDE
# Posted: 12 Mar 2013 13:38

Nice place you have there. I havent been on in a while as my kids keep me very busy, I also am In Pine county and have a 12x24 shabin I started last spring. I have done all the work myself and is coming along well. I havent been up lately because of all the snow[ I dont think my truck will make it in the driveway] but neat to see someone with a similiar place! I will try and put a few sneak peak pics of my project.
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG

Dillio187
# Posted: 20 Mar 2013 18:29 - Edited by: Dillio187

love the interior of yours, I'm hoping my loft and ceiling come out very, very similar once I'm finally able to get to them.

I've been up to the cabin a couple of times over the last few weeks, I just recently started a new job so it's been hard to get anything done when I just want to relax . My truck has been able to squeak down my driveway, the first time is always hairy, but just don't stop!

I did finish my car stereo install. It runs direct off the batteries instead of through the inverter. I made a pine enclosure for the radio, and 4 pine speaker boxes, two of them are 4x6 and two are 6x9, and installed some old speakers left over from my car audio hobby 15 years ago. Sounds great, I'll try to get some pictures next time. I also started taping and mudding the drywall, but I don't really want to sand any of it until it's warm enough to open all the windows and doors to let it air out.

The solar power system is doing very well now that the sun is a bit higher in the sky. I took out almost 40ah ( a bit over 80% remaining) the other night between having all the lights on, radio on, phones and computers charging etc, and it put it all back in by 2pm the next day. I'm really happy with how that system is performing.

Oh yea...no sign of spring yet.
cabininwoods.jpg
cabininwoods.jpg
floppy_ears.jpg
floppy_ears.jpg

beachman
# Posted: 20 Mar 2013 19:29

What an awesome place. Very nice! We used the same type of pine for the inside ceiling and it really has a nice effect. Doo-drew, we built a loft in our place over a bedroom and dropped the joists down to start even with the floor above. So, the bedroom actually has a ceiling a little less than 7 1/2 feet which we like. We kicked out the ceiling with a dormer on the side with a 2/12 slope. I am 6"6" and I can stand straight in the center - at the middle edge of the loft, but have about 5'6" at the window edge in the side dormer.

TODDE
# Posted: 20 Mar 2013 20:08

My daughter qualified for individual state gymnastics this weekend inOwatonna or I was planning a trip up. Good excuse to not get to go though so I will try for next weekend. I bought all the pine from a guy on the west side of millacs in onamia. I think I paid like 31cents a foot and bought 2 pallets which was like 3000 board feet. But my entire inside even ceiling under loft was covered. I am thinking of framing cabinets and finishing this in pine to as I don't see any prebuilts in pine that are nice and not spendy. Hope you make great progress this summer, I know I have several plans to get started on. My wife isn't a ruff it type so we will be an on the grid cabin with a generator inlet that I have been using from the start till now. The trenching and connections need to be done once the frost is out??

TODDE
# Posted: 20 Mar 2013 20:13

This is what I got for I believe around a 1000 bucks. Was very nice pre sanded ready to hang. Had very few pices that where to warped or anything. He advertises on Craigslist if you are ever looking for material?
image2.jpg
image2.jpg

Dillio187
# Posted: 20 Mar 2013 20:19

thanks for the tip, I'd much rather buy lumber like that from a local guy!

TODDE
# Posted: 20 Mar 2013 20:23

Sure thing, best of luck keep us posted on progress! Maybe I will get it together and post my start to current pics one of these days and I can do the same.

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Mar 2013 20:24

Dillio187
that is a great cabin and i love the table and booth.i always want one of those.nice land too.good going.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.