Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Finally Starting on Small Cabin
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 7 May 2010 02:14

I have been researching and getting inspiration from this site for a couple of years now and I have finally begun to start on my cabin. Today we bulldozed....foundation will be next....Everything is finally coming together. I'm hoping to be done by July! Here are the first pictures of my land as we got it cleared today.

I will post more pics as soon as we get the cabin in place.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 9 May 2010 21:43

i think this worked now
1.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
4.jpg

bugs
# Posted: 10 May 2010 08:41

Hi SmlTxCabin

Always one of the hilights of the process is the clearing of the land whether it is by manual labour, chainsaw in hand, or the easy way out with big machines.

How big is your plot of land? What are your plans for it? Cabin size? etc.

Looks like you have interesting habitat.

Good luck with it all. Although I don't think a person is ever done!!!

bugs

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 11 May 2010 13:04

I have 4.6 acres in North East Texas. Lots of Cedar and Mesquite trees that I had to clear off. not a lot in the way of shade. So I will be planting a lot once I get settled in. My cabin, starting off, will be 14x36 with a loft. Which is a little smaller than i had originally planned, but i plan on adding a larger master bedroom in the future. But for now it will do, and it is getting me step by step closer to my dream home.

What i hope to create is an non stress and very basic and rustic environment where I can have my animals. I have 5 miniature donkeys, 1 horse, 2 dogs, and I plan on getting some goats, and a few cows at some point.

I plan on purchasing a Natures Head composting toilet for the bathroom, recycling grey water, and installing rain barrels to harvest rain water, and hopefully eventually put in some solar panels, but the solar panels will come much later.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 26 May 2010 15:14

here are some more pictures
Cabin.jpg
Cabin.jpg
Relax.jpg
Relax.jpg
View_of_loft.jpg
View_of_loft.jpg
Lumber.jpg
Lumber.jpg

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 26 May 2010 15:25

and more
Stairs.jpg
Stairs.jpg
stairs_mostly_attach.jpg
stairs_mostly_attach.jpg

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 26 May 2010 15:30

Got the bathroom framed out and the steps up, Next the electrical and plumbing, then the insulation. Its getting very exciting.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 26 May 2010 16:39

Great work, SmlTxCabin! Cabin seems quite spacious.
Keep us posted.

Kramer
# Posted: 28 May 2010 01:47

There's nothing tying the rafters together at the roof peak? Or am I missing something?

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 28 May 2010 10:20

there are braces every few feet except for in the loft
Rafters.jpg
Rafters.jpg

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 28 May 2010 10:20

and they are hard to see in the pictures, but there are metal ties at the peak

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 29 May 2010 01:03

done framing out the bathroom
framing.bmpAttached file: framing.bmp

the_dog_helping.bmpAttached file: the_dog_helping.bmp

done_the_framing_in_.jpg
done_the_framing_in_.jpg

Rob_O
# Posted: 29 May 2010 13:12

With the loft, your "Small Cabin" probably has more floor space than my "City House". Looks about 7' headroom under the loft, is that correct?

Great work, keep posting pics

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 29 May 2010 20:58

thanks for the encouragement Rob_o! It isn't quite 7' its more about 5', but it it is to be utilized as a sleeping loft and my relaxation station for reading and enjoying being higher than everyone else...LOL We started the wiring for the electrical today. And on wednesday we are starting the plumbing. Then the insulation, and the interior walls go up!

cabinbasics
# Posted: 30 May 2010 06:29

That went up quick TX, did you build or was it pre-built and delivered to your site? Looks very nice!

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 30 May 2010 12:13

Pre-built and delivered. I was going to build from scratch, and my timeline kept getting pushed back, so I said to heck with it and got a guy to build to my specs and they delivered it. I'm extremely pleased with it.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 30 May 2010 12:47

and i just realized what you meant Rob_O you said under the loft not in the loft. and Yes that is pretty close it is right at 6' 6". I am 5'5" and my spouse is 5'7" and the tallest person I know that will actually be in my house is 6'3" and he is okay with it. And he will just be a visitor. So it works. I traded out head room in the bathroom/utility room for a little more head room in the loft. I felt it was an important trade.

Rob_O
# Posted: 30 May 2010 18:14

Quoting: SmlTxCabin
Pre-built and delivered

I plan to pre-build my cabin in pieces in a friends driveway, and assemble the pieces on-site.

Quoting: SmlTxCabin
You said under the loft not in the loft. and Yes that is pretty close it is right at 6' 6".

Do your friend a favor, don't put in a ceiling fan under the loft

Anonymous
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 05:32

LOL I definitely do not plan on putting any light fixtures on the ceiling or a fan under the loft.

target panic
# Posted: 5 Jun 2010 00:16

Quoting: Kramer
There's nothing tying the rafters together at the roof peak? Or am I missing something?

I thought the same thing............... The rafters just don't look right!
In Michigan we have a huge snow load problem, so the codes are pretty stiff, but those metal tie plates at the peak won't support any weight. Maybe I'm missing something, but for safety reasons, I'd put another cross member in at least a foot from the peak. Rafters usually meet at a ridge board also........here there is none. Were these prefabricated, or did you build them on site? Don't get me wrong.....It looks great, but is it safe enough?

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 13 Jun 2010 20:15

Don't mix up rafter ties and collar ties. Rafter ties are the cross members used to keep the rafters from spreading under load, and they are generally located on the bottom third of the rafters.

The cross members located near the peak are collar ties. They keep the peak from being pulled apart by high winds. Instead of collar ties, you can also use metal straps over top of the rafters to accomplish the same thing.

Anonymous
# Posted: 15 Jun 2010 12:58

Between the metal ties and braces, it shouldn't be going anywhere. As far as loads go, it does not snow in this part of texas, so there is not a strict load code in these parts. I had the shell built and am finishing it out myself. My brother is an electrician and builds houses and he inspected it and assured me that the cabin was built soundly....i hope he's right!

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 15 Jun 2010 13:00

i am going to ask him thought if any adjustments need to be made

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 23 Jun 2010 01:46

I spoke with my brother and a few other construction friends. They all said the construction of the roof is more than adequate. So I feel much better now.

Invictus
# Posted: 23 Jun 2010 02:50

Nice cabin! How is the inside coming along? Any more pics?

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 27 Jun 2010 19:01

Here are some newer ones.
working on getting the drywall up
working on getting the drywall up
more drywall
more drywall
drywall_3.jpg
drywall_3.jpg
my brother and a friend working on electrical
my brother and a friend working on electrical

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 27 Jun 2010 19:04

Some more pics
drywall_4.jpg
drywall_4.jpg
Insulation.jpg
Insulation.jpg
inside_loft.jpg
inside_loft.jpg

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 27 Jun 2010 19:08

my doggy
My dog helping out
My dog helping out

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 28 Jun 2010 04:27

I am putting up drywall first due to its ease of installation and inexpensive nature, so i can get moved in. Then I will put up Tongue and Groove Pine throughout everything but the bathroom and utility room. Electricity is done, just waiting for the power company to bring it to my cabin! I'm getting closer and closer every day. Thanks for all the great feedback and support!

Invictus
# Posted: 28 Jun 2010 13:41

Lookin good!

Im going to insulate and just put some kind of tounge n groove up over the insulation.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.