Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Tiny Cabin Experience
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Just
# Posted: 16 Aug 2014 21:52

Two things i know ..a tree throw is [a hole in the earth made by a fallen tree root ball ] very important to a healthy forest and a 2 x 4 is 3.5 x 1.5 i think ?? good story Gar

Gary O
# Posted: 16 Aug 2014 22:32

Quoting: Just
and a 2 x 4 is 3.5 x 1.5 i think ??

It still is, Sir Just.

....so far

hattie
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 00:59

hahaha...I love reading this thread! When you are all done, I expect the book to come out!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 02:17 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: hattie
When you are all done, I expect the book to come out!!!

Well, I'll tell ya, Hats. Yes, another book is in the making.
(thank you, BTW)
But more than the crazy things cabi and I find ourselves getting into, and more than the humorous slant I give with each of these misadventures, we somehow accomplish what we set out to do, finding instantaneous joy and satisfaction, and even spawning thoughts of a very fun filled near future.
But more than anything, and I mean anything, these undertakings solidify my mind set that getting as close as possible to laboring for immediate results is the epitome of the pursuit of happiness.
It's difficult...actually impossible...for me to maintain a proper perspective of what in heck I'm doing when the layers of needful obstacles are so ensconced in what the majority have come to call society.

I think Ellen Goodman says it best (of which I made a poster);
longercarefornorm.jpg
longercarefornorm.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 11:25

hee hee.we have alot of fun...
like the mister in the outhouse and theres no back to it cause we have to take the bucket out.
so i got a stick and poked him.hee hee.u should have heard that scream.

we had the neighbors drop by to see the fallen tree.they stayed all afternoon .we have such a good time with them.
then we went to their place .walked.never thought we were gonna make it back to the cabin.
we got to hold our fill of the cutest baby goats.oh my.why do they smell so sweet.look so cute.there funny little human denture teeth and little fat full bellies.soo cute.
do i want any animals out there?nope -can only take care of me and the mister.
my sister just got her kitchen remodeled for 80,000$.she has a musical dishwasher.i sing when i do the dishes by hand out at our cabin.its free.pine cones make the best scrubbies.
saw squirrels storing up cones for winter.man they are working hard on this.thinking an early winter or a ruff one.
cant wait to get out to the woods to live.times ticking.soon we shall be out living in our woods.
been trying to get back to a cabin for 50 plus years.
made a sweater for me in between running and poking gar with sticks and cooking and hauling boards for the big guy.
cabin sweaterings
cabin sweaterings

hattie
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 12:15

Love that poster! When my kids were little I thought about going back into the workforce. I calculated what I would need for the fancy clothes, another car and daycare for the kids. Turned out I'd be LOSING money by going back to work. I opened up a daycare in my home instead. Those were happy years!

Years later I went back into the workforce and hated it. Now I'm at my cabin, renting rooms to friendly strangers (some of whom have become good friends) and I am my own boss. Life is good again!!!

Cabingal, you just amaze me with your knitting talents. When you are all retired and snug in your cabin, you could sell your beautiful work on etsy or ebay. People would pay good money for it!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 13:10

we did the same hattie.i stayed home to raise my tribe.baked homemade bread.went as a family to pick fruit and came home and canned it all.went smelting and got tons of fish to freeze for dinners.
always gardening and raising huge gardens,making pickles and canning all i could raise.making everyone clothes.sure wonderful memories.
it pays to stay home.
your sweet memories sound wonderful.
nothing like the sweetness of the little ones.so precious are they.
at our woods...this family we visit.we have adopted as our family in the woods.the little boy jack is about 7.he is a little doll.i play cars with him and we just have a great time.hes a great child.
so fun.
sounds like u have it going on hattie with your cute wonderful place.hugs and thank u.

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 13:12

now that i poked gar.not a fb poke.
hes gonna get me.i have to be careful.its a known fact that his family gets u back 100 fold.
so at the cabin i am running and hiding and hoping he does not see me go heading to the out house.
i keep looking out the door.he is so tickled.he says thats the best repay of all.all my worry.
he says oh about a year down the line he will repay me.snicker.soo let the games begin.

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 13:48

Quoting: cabingal3
like the mister in the outhouse and theres no back to it cause we have to take the bucket out.so i got a stick and poked him.hee hee.u should have heard that scream.

Well now...I see we are telling.....things......

Howevah, me, being the kindly ol' gentle soul that I am, won't mention the urgent, somewhat panic filled trek back to the cabin from Mel's place........you know, the one where your pressing brisk pace turned into a full sprint with the occasional concerned freeze in place, then back to full sprint.......almost making it.......almost.

No.

I won't.

Why?

Because I'm not like that.

(heh heh, never play tricks on one who is given to writing)

I have a whole year to dream up a doozy.

Wunner where I can get hold of a bear suit.....

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 13:50

ha haa ha..dont believe a writer.ever!

naturelover66
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 21:33

��. Hi you two... I'm glad you had a nice visit at the cabin.

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 23:39

Thanks, NL. It's been a pretty productive summer.....aaaand rather lively

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Aug 2014 10:38

thinking of your idea gar of using the mobile home metal frame once we tear it down for a home build is a grand idea.loving that.
cant wait for us to build the shop.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Sep 2014 20:51 - Edited by: Gary O

Love it when cabi spells me and drives a good leg of the 250 mile trip to the cabin.
I usually take a little nap, unless she's driving in the mountains.
That is when I remain somewhat 'alert';

OK, we packed everything into the truck and zipped down to the cabin.

......welllll.....not 'everything'......the camera.
We forgot the camera.

S-o-o-o-o, bear with me as I depict our roofing/siding experience;

Roll roofing

Because it's easy

Not

Roll roofing is not easy

Roll roofing is heavy

It's even heavier when hauling it up a ladder.

I can always depend on the little woman to hold the ladder as I make my final ascent onto the roof.

artistic depiction;

I can also depend on her to poke me in the hind end half way up.

artistic depiction;

Roll roofing gets hot,

really really hot.....in the midday sun.

This occurred to me while on the roof.
......after four hours of considering, prepping, sitting, eating, and generally daudling....in the morning shade.

Therefore, when one's back mentions its break time, and one's quaking arms manage to turn one's heaving torso around so one can lean back for a short gasp, one will tend to scream out....when one's brain registers that it's not lunch one smells, but one's hands.....cooking.

We worked till 9 pm and woulda worked longer if it wasn't so dark.

Got the roll roofing on and the T1-11 siding on, and seal/stained.....once cabi drove twenty miles to the store to get the paint brushes....the other thing we forgot.

Oh, one thing I discovered.
In our poophaus is a little tube of something.
Turns out its scented lotion....heinie lotion.
Or, paper helper.

Must say, rather comforting.
All afternoon my (shall we say) emanations bore the aroma of rotting marigolds.

We finished up late morning yesterday.

The coyotes, the turkey vultures, the deer, the rabbits, the squirrels and chippies, the various birds, and spiraling hawks, and the view, every direction....things we had to leave.

But not for long.

No, not for long.

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Sep 2014 23:43

love our woods and cabin times.cant wait to move out there in april.
times flying fast.
i helped the mister haul boards and hold them while he cuts.
held them up while he nail gunned the siding on.sure is taking shape.next time we put flooring in.
get our burn piles ready for winter burns.
i came back from town and getting a paint brush and there he is in all his glory.
a ladder nailed to the top of the scaffolding.i freaked till he told me he had it all nailed .
i was thinking he needs to be connected to a zip line of sorts.if he falls off the roof...he can be ok.
of course when i went to town.he gave me the phone and billions of numbers to call in case i had trouble.
i think we may need a couple of phones out there.so if he falls off the roof.at least he can call out for help.
cant wait for gary o and i to build his workshop.
it will be a glory day for sure.
we are thinking of saving the old mobile home and little red building for a while for storage.
thats about it for us.
fun times at the cabin.

naturelover66
# Posted: 6 Sep 2014 13:35

Love your stories and enthusiasm... ��. Can't wait to see more pictures!!
Lisa

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 21:30 - Edited by: Gary O

So we whipped down to the cabin(s) this weekend to lay the 2x6 floor and nail on the exterior trim and finish staining/sealing.

Love to find places that have cheaper stuff than the Home Dopies of the world.
Found this obscure place that has all kinds of salvaged building materials and unusual wood pieces.
I was like a kid in a candy store.

Settled on some rough cut 1x6 fir.

I have this vision.
Cabi shares the same vision.

'Give the place a rustic look...yeah'

Here's where things got complicated.

'rough cut' is not necessarily 1x6
It can be 1x6...in places
Other places it can be 1x5...or 1x3.....

Thusly, getting things level and plum don't work so well with rough cut.
If you try to match 45° cuts (like a picture frame), you end up searching thru the pile for same widths...there are no 'same widths'.

And 1x tends to split when pummeled with a 7d ring shank nail...especially when on tippy toes on the uppermost 'THIS IS NOT A STEP' part of the ladder....leaning far to the right, one centimeter past the colossal misfortune zone, clinging to the wall like a morbidly obese batgrampa.

Our neighbor Greg, down the road, must think I am the most abusive husband ever, because these lovely rustic trim boards absorbed every guttural moniker I could sputter, beginning with the pronoun 'you'....loudly.

Buuut, as usual, we had fun, rested in places, enjoyed our meals outside, and mustered a sense of pride in what two aged wheezing overfed almost retirees could accomplish in one day.

Oh, and we had a little visitor Saturday night.

Sometime after total dark set in, while we were still relaxing (plopping, heaving, gasping, slumped) in our camp chairs, sipping ice tea, admiring our work, we both saw something flutter in front of the cabin.

'Whazzat?'

'Dunno'

'Huh'

We got up, stumbled around putting the rest of the tools away, tripping over the little sapling stump (cleverly positioned between the two cabins) for the 27th time, and trudged into our new rustic boudoir.

Gotta say, it was nice to lie there on the bed, gazing at our handiwork.

Cabi zonked out immediately.

I heard a noise.

A nibbling or skittering, mouse like noise.

I was thankful cabi didn't hear it (let the little guy enjoy his evening), 'cause she'd be up and searching for it...with a hammer.

Read my book till I got sleepy, and twisted off the lantern.

Laid there in the dark, barely making out the ceiling beams.

Saw something rather dark flutter.

Twisted on the lantern.

A bat was zooming around the cabin.

Huh......

.........A BAT??!!

Nudged the little woman.

WE GOT A BAT!!

Covers fly.

We're up.

I wish I had a video of us flailing away at that critter with the only things available.....foam cushions.

Gave the shotgun a thought.

We opened both doors, but the little sucker just wanted to go up.

It would stop, cling to a high corner, panting (I imagine...or maybe that was just us), then, after we threw shoes and books at it, commence to fly around and around, deftly dodging slabs of foam.

I jumped up on the bed, strategically teetering, making pathetic circles with my arms while falling backwards onto the floor.

Cabi didn't miss a beat, remaining a non-stop foam whisk machine.

I figger we got about 47 minutes of aerobic flailing until we finally got it out the door.

Next trip I'll put the screens on.
These pics may be redundant, some
These pics may be redundant, some
2.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
4.JPG

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 21:34

more pics
5.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
8.JPG

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 21:34

one more

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Sep 2014 21:35 - Edited by: Gary O

one more
tween_cabins.jpg
tween_cabins.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 05:26

put 4 mouse traps in the main cabin.nothing.whee.
a bat in the bedroom is just too much to bear.
a bat flying around anywhere is too much.
what fun.
everytime we go is an adventure.
do other cabin dwellers find the same?
dont know.
if u live there full time is it always an adventure?
we pumped our well to make sure we do have well water.
it flowed free and fully.was a happy event.
even if we hurt in every bone and joint and muscle in our body...we have the time of our lives out at the cabin in the woods.
we feel more alive.we talk of what we shall do on the next trip.
always fun.
thanks gar for ur writing up what happened .u tell it better than me.

hattie
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 10:35

WOW, your place is looking beautiful! You must be counting down the days - well I guess it is months, but you must be counting down!

I read somewhere that if you put a light outside an open door or window, bats trapped inside a building will fly to the light. I don't know if that is true or not.

When I was pregnant with my first child and married to my first husband, we had a bat in our apartment (I think it came in from the moving van). I was terrified it would bite me, so I hid in the bathroom and my husband chased it with a squash raquette. He ended up killing it. I didn't know then that bats are good things (eating bugs).

We hardly have any bats here anymore. I don't know if that virus got them or if someone poisoned them. We built a bat house but have never had one bat in it. It is very sad!

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Sep 2014 11:39

hey hattie.good info.good story.thanku
yes.i hear of that disease thats killling bats off.
oh.lets see.
gar was on the back porch here in town and a bat swooped at him.so i guess they are everywhere.our neighbors at the woods build a bat house.
they told us this bat better not be their bats gf or its fighting time.i dont know..its suppose to be a funny.hee hee.
well i am game to get us retired and out there.hugs cabi

Gary O
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 10:36

Just got back from four days at the cabin.
Pooped
Happy

Burned some slash

Here we are, moving there in May
Don't have the addition on, thus the wood stove isn't installed yet
Don't have the utility shed up, thus no electric (Jenny/pump) hooked up to the well

And every time I get on here and see all these magnificent places, my mind goes; 'self; are you effing nuts???!!'

Then I settle down and compose myself with a calming reassuring determination.....that yes, yes I am nuts.

But

Here's the deal
We just survived four days at the cabin during the beginning of winter.
Pretty mild at 20°F, but its p-r-e-t-t-y durn freekin' cold.
OK, we had a big buddy heater.
So we were just cold at night.
Oh, we haven't insulated the boudoir just yet either.
Turns out, one can actually shiver themselves to sleep.
At least until, well...
what is it about a mate's hind end becoming an iceberg, anyway?

Anyhoot, I figger this;

Got the summer to do what we can before next winter.
But the clincher is, everything we do will be an improvement, progress.
Not packing up
Not driving hundreds of miles
Not going home
We will be home
Doing the next thing

And the next......

It

Just

Gets

Better

Just
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 13:20

One day at a time . Retirement is a challenge ,the thing about it is ,,you have lots of time to do stuff .

neb
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 13:27

Like Just said one day at a time. Next year you will be really for bear. LOL

Gary O
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 16:25

Quoting: neb
Like Just said one day at a time. Next year you will be really for bear. LOL

Bear?
One's been seen in the neighborhood a few weeks back.

I'm ready.

Need a rug..........

Gary O
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 16:28

One day at a time . Retirement is a challenge ,the thing about it is ,,you have lots of time to do stuff .

Heh, time.
Been lookin' for that dimension for 65 years.
Not sure where that energy dimension went......

Several decades ago now, we did some off grid living.
The boys were quite young.
The basics kinda consumed a lotta time.
Basics like laundry.
Just can't predict a toddler frontiersman falling into a pile of mud or dog turds, daily, sometimes hourly.
As for my lady and I, we're pretty careful and conscientious about keeping things tidy and clean.
My daily wear w/be a hearty pair of bib overalls that may see the bottom of the wash tub once a month.
Socks and fruits of the loom don't take a whole lot of scrubbing/drying time.
Don't really want to get too wrapped up with daily chores.
There is consideration with traveling to town and mingling with the public, however.
Went to get a PO box while we were down there this trip.
I think I smelt myself while at the counter.
I tend to be neglectful when I know a hot shower looms in the not too distant future.....

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 16:37

Two things i know ..a tree throw is [a hole in the earth made by a fallen tree root ball ] very important to a healthy forest and a 2 x 4 is 3.5 x 1.5 i think ?? good story Gar

And a stud is 92 5/8" long.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 17:08

Your place looks so awesome!!!!! Very, very exciting!!!!! It must be so satisfying to look around and see what you accomplished, and to dream about what's to come, as well.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.