- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Tiny Cabin Experience
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Gary O
# Posted: 19 Apr 2015 23:14 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Just
make sure your genny is big enough ,pumps take a lot of power

it's 4.5 amps (AC)
according to google, that makes it 450 watts...I think.... (I'm waaaay over my head with this stuff)

oh well, either something will smoke and go 'poof' or the little pump will 'WHING!' become some sorta water rocket....or.....we'll be pumping water.

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Apr 2015 23:25 - Edited by: Gary O

Well, here we sit...on pins and needles.
The container is chock full.
Our house has two lazyboys, a bed, a nightstand, a dresser, my gun cabinet, and a kitchen table strewn with financial crap all over it.
We've got a ton of things to do....after we close on the sale....on the 24th.
Can't do a thing until that happens.
Too much to list, but you thinking folks can well imagine.
I go over the budget every 20 minutes.
Cabi forages the web for entertainment.
We just got back from wallyworld.
Had to get some crochet hooks and yarn, since the box of a thousand hooks and seventeen crates of yarn are tucked in the front of the container.
Needless to say, we're are a bit on edge....testy.
We don't dare discuss things of import.
It's pretty much like two bears just coming outta hibernation.
If we didn't love each other so much, well, I don't know....the guns are still here.
I have found that if one does virtually nothing but swill pot after pot of coffee, one can darn near vibrate outta the lazyboy.
A ringing phone tends to send us both into levitation.
So, we pat each other, and talk carefully about the cabin.
We'll be scooting down there tomorrow to install a little wall in the main cabin, and maybe swap beds, as the one down there was designed by an out of work chiropractor/sadist.

That way we can have a legitimate excuse with the barking and snapping, after flopping around, clinging to the edges on that skinny bed of nails all night....until the 24th....
Then three more tiny days until the big move.

Thinking about that makes me.....happy.

Soon...........

......think I'll make another pot of coffee.

hattie
# Posted: 20 Apr 2015 00:28

Hang in there...I feel for you both...Been there, done that!!! And when you lock the door of your city house one last time it will be done and your forever adventure will begin....You will NEVER forget the drive up to your cabin on that incredible day. No more going home - you will finally BE HOME!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Apr 2015 10:21

hang in there Gary0....I am sure everything will go well and soon be on your way to your new HOME.....cabin fever has got ya!!! Looking forward to hearing of your adventure after closing!!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 20 Apr 2015 21:17

Oh, I know

been patient for too many years, however....

Steve_S
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 08:10

Hang in there Gary & Cabingal the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter & brighter. Maybe you should get some Decaf and after pot #1 switch to that, or at least 50/50 with regular coffee. Perked Decaf isn't bad, especially compared to instant (is instant even really coffee ?).

Gary O
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 08:57

Instant?

Can't

Coffee
Giddyup juice
Nothing better than, of an early morn, stepping out on the back deck, listening to the birds, and sipping that first cup.

But, yeah, too much of a good thing is......well......too much.

But

It's a lovely brew.

Cabi and I have narrowed it down.
Colombian
Any brand
Gotta be 100% Colombian

Oh, we're not bean grinders, or coffee snobs, or sit in the car queue at Starbucks, breathing exhaust fumes, anxiously waiting to eagerly pay $7 (or whatever it is) for 10 cents of coffee.
We just seek out the Colombian in the can.
Got all pissed when the store shrunk the cans.
But hey, those short cans make mighty fine containers for nuts and bolts and such.

But yeah. Need to back off to sumpm reasonable.
Heh, it's 5:50 am here on the left coast and I'm ardy on my third cup.

I think I'll strip down and clean my guns.....again.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Apr 2015 11:23

Here's where my mind is right now;

In a smattering of days we'll be living off grid

Off grid

No longer cocooned in the suburban whirl of unthinking use of all the amenities so taken for granted.
As direct as you can possibly be with even the most mundane of daily chores.

Water does not get hot just by turning the left knob in the bathroom.

Water is not in the bathroom.

The bath is not even in the bathroom.

There is no 'bathroom'.

The cabin is not voluntarily climate controlled.
You discover that even if you bought out all the paper at all the Office Depots within a hundred mile radius, you still couldn't get wet wood to light, let alone burn.
Once lit, smoke, billowing from the stove, does not cabin ambience make.

If......the grid goes down, things get even a bit more primitive.

Fuel, namely gas and propane, of which you so blithely, smugly entrusted as your sole source of power, does not readily come outta pumps.
The grocery store just has shelving for sale. But no matter, there's no gas to get there anyway.

So, life at the cabin goes back a couple centuries.

Deer, that you kept shooing outta yer pathetic excuse of a garden for months, seem to have packed up and moved to the suburbs.
Yer hunting prowess becomes honed to picking off a gnat's left testicle at 300 yards.
Weeks later, one finds oneself wrapped in a tarp, hovering over the wood stove, harvesting the vestiges of yesterday's squirrel pooper fricassee....while fondly recalling last week's repast of distant neighbor's cat surprise.

The smart phone, on its last leg of power, sits there mocking you with the siri message; 'SOS......according to Wikipedia means save our ship, do you need to save your ship, Gary?'

'Things will get better' you bravely say to yer wife, smiling at her grimy face with the dirt rim around her lips, as she peers incredulously back at the dirt rim around yours.

OK, that 'grid goes down' part was just the nightmare I had last night.

With the exception of a very few here, if the grid went down, we'd all be pretty much up the proverbial creek.

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 00:35

Well we made it

we're home.....at the cabin

couldn't think of a better birthday present

cheers

AK Seabee
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 00:59

🍰

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 19:22

first day at cabin living.
cleared some land for a garden spot.
and got my rhubarb in.
gars been clearing land too.we are gonna have lots of currants this year.they are wild red currants.
i made my own clothes line.hubby thinks its cute.
cleared off a garden spot
cleared off a garden spot
will my rhubarb make it?
will my rhubarb make it?
my clothes line
my clothes line
gar clearing off land
gar clearing off land

Just
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 20:41

Rhubarb likes some protection from the north wind a log or 10 in board will do . It also likes lots of compost or poo of any type . Don't harvest any till next spring it needs at least one year to get established .

naturelover66
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 20:44 - Edited by: naturelover66

Happy birthday! Glad you had a fun productive day!! Love your clothes line Cabi... I'm sure your rhubarb harvest will be plentiful.

hattie
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 21:33

Quoting: Just
It also likes lots of compost or poo of any type .

I'll second that. A neighbour here has chickens so he puts chicken poo on his rhubarb and you have never seen such HUGE rhubarb in your life!!! I''m sure next spring you'll have a nice crop Cabingal!!

Congratulations to you two!

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 21:44

Hi just ...I dug it up from the house we sold! Hoping it makes it thru the upheaval.been babying them for about five yrs!them the big move hope they will be OK

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 21:46

Thanks all! We are headed to the big city again tomorrow and I am getting big bags of poo.thanks so much.love my clothesline

Just
# Posted: 26 Apr 2015 09:04

Little known fact, the root of a rhubarb plant used for trans planting is called a Rhubarb Toe .

cabingal3
# Posted: 26 Apr 2015 15:26

Old rhubarb toe! Thanks just

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Apr 2015 22:30 - Edited by: Gary O

So, we're sittin' here, back at the house, for the last time.
Seems a bit weird, it bein' empty an all.
Just the pillow top mattress, of which is goin' with us tomorrow, after we close.
Been here twenty years.
Doesn't seem that long.....seems fifty...

Just stepped out onto the deck.
Gonna be a good crop of grapes this year.
Funny, one thinks they own things, and I s'pose they do....for awhile.
The native Americans, the devout christians, the realists, know better. Seems we're nothing more than caretakers when all is said and done.
The capitalist sees things a bit different, amassing as much as possible, for as long as possible.
Someone said to J Paul Getty, 'you can't take it with you', he replied, 'that would be quite a load'.......

Oh, I'm not faulting those that find pleasure in getting stuff.
I've kinda been there a time or two, on a much lesser scale, but I know a bit about having 'things'.
Our across the street neighbor here at the house bought a new Mustang.
I see him out there rubbin' on it about two..sometimes three times a day.
Dang dust particles anyway.
Then he'll pull up a chair under the carport and just stare at it.

Now, the cabin, well, I guess that's my new Mustang.
I'm not gonna rub on it (shakes might fall off), but I do like to sit out by the fire (me and cabi) and gaze at it.

Is it a bad thing to be a somewhat proud caretaker?

I hope not.

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Apr 2015 22:41 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: cabingal3
i made my own clothes line.hubby thinks its cute.

Now I have two things to look out for when stumbling around at 2am lookin' for a place to pee;
A hungry cat on the prowl for slow meat, aaaaand a clothes line.

It is cute, my lady.
It'll be much cuter with yer bloomers on it.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Apr 2015 07:39 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: Gary O
Now I have two things to look out for when stumbling around at 2am lookin' for a place to pee;A hungry cat on the prowl for slow meat, aaaaand a clothes line.

too funny!!!!

my Daddy made me a clothes line in 1978 when I bought my 1st house.( I had just graduated high school ) It's a big piece of 4 inch steel pipe with a piece of 2 inch steel pipe about 4 foot long welded to top of 4" pipe making a T....he made 2 of them...with holes drilled in pipe for clothes line. I have dug those up and moved them to the new house every time we sold our old house. They have been moved 5 times .Still work GREAT today...we use them to hang heavy blankets /rugs or my hunting clothes on it. And use it sometimes in the fall to dry clothes in the nice fall breeze.
Every house in the country needs a clothes line

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 Apr 2015 09:33

Turkeyhunter! I love those kinds of memories.
Wow! Amazing u have taken them with u all .
I love things aired in the breeze too!
My clothes line is made from wire I found in the property and wrapped around two trees with the board in the middle in case something too heavy Has to be on it! have to wait and see if its sturdy!

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Apr 2015 03:41 - Edited by: Gary O

Update, early morning

Things we've learned (so far);

Small cabins are small

If you fill a container with all yer earthly belongings, inevitably that thing you will need most will be tucked neatly behind the earth stove

Earth stoves are heavy

A human nose can store up to 17 pounds of pumice

Two people can fill a five gallon bucket at an alarming rate

Shovels should never be the first things you put in the container

The store two miles down the road is pretty handy

They have one of everything

I bought one advil and a cube of ice

Turns out, nobody needs all that water when bathing

Especially when you run out of water

Hand pumps are fickle

all for now

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 May 2015 22:07

Me and Gary o are having the time of our life! I am digging a garden with the madax with a vision in mind.mostly I wanted to get my fruit in
And established!so rhubarb is in and plum trees,strawberries and my sea berry trees!
Gary o spent the day building a tool crib so we don't have to keep hauling his tools in and out of the cabin.
This is for him to use till he gets his shop up.
I plan on helping him more cause my fruit is in now.
Today he said upon awakening that this was a grand day! The first day ever we don't have a mortgage payment! Its pretty wonderful!we have that free feeling called retirement !

TranquilMan
# Posted: 3 May 2015 22:54

Gary O, if you are still checking this thread, I'm really curious if you ever built the model shed you posted in October 2010. I'm intrigued by the design.
Tranquil Man
Gary O's model
Gary O's model

Gary O
# Posted: 3 May 2015 23:12

Quoting: TranquilMan
I'm really curious if you ever built the model shed you posted in October 2010.

building a smaller (one floor) version right now.

next the well house

then the shop, of which w/be a version of that one.

I just mostly like a way to let natural light in without fiddling with the roof.

Gary O
# Posted: 8 May 2015 07:46 - Edited by: Gary O

I been touching up the cabin, and spending too much time trying to find where I put my tools (the ones I found in the container).
Happily, whatever I have yet to find is in that 20x8x8 box.
I almost come to tears when I actually do find whatever it is I'm looking for in there.

But, life is getting better.
I built a tool crib.
I intentionally built it 4' high, so I could lift the lid and reach in for a tool.
It'll be chock full once I locate my other tools.
It is, however, a walk in affair, with a little door and everything.
It took 5 shts OSB and some 2x2s.

(yes, I tarp it at night and/or when rain is in the forecast.....aaand I'll throw some paint on the exterior)

Gary O
# Posted: 8 May 2015 07:55

My lady wanted a little wall to extend her kitchen, so I took out the french doors (I'll put them in the main house one day) and built a little partition wall.
It's better than I thought it'd turn out.
Also added some pantry doors in her tiny kitchen.
If the main cook wants something, it gets done.

aaaand it made my little den area a bit cozier

hattie
# Posted: 8 May 2015 13:11

Beautiful work GaryO...Your place is really coming along fast! The tool shed was a great idea! It sounds like you two are having the time of your life out there!! I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who looks forward to you and cabingal3's updates.

Gary O
# Posted: 9 May 2015 11:57

Thank you, dear Hattie.

We spent the day 50 miles away in the big city yesterday.
Lots of errands.

Couldn't wait to get back.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.