Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Tiny Cabin Experience
<< 1 ... 27 . 28 . 29 . 30 . 31 . 32 . 33 . 34 . 35 . 36 . 37 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 19 Mar 2016 20:19

Quoting: cabingal3
we finished the final bowls of snowbank soup.sure was good.

Cabi, I somehow missed this! What is snowbank soup and how do you make it? That's like awesomeness and something that I need to file for next winter!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 19 Mar 2016 20:27

Quoting: Gary O
One of the amenities we thought to add when winter was making its presence was in consideration of hiny heat retention when using the poophaus.We had saved this roll of closed cell foam.Cabi wrapped some around the seat.

A quilted throne! Very smart. LOL @ "hiny heat retention."

It would be awkward and painful to someday find oneself frozen to the donut and have to make one's way to the cabin, for the warmth to provide the necessary "degrees of separation." Or am I the only odd soul that such things seem to happen to?

abby
# Posted: 20 Mar 2016 16:51

when someone finds a way to keep the behind from being shocked and frozen, I bow to you!

Snuffy
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 09:40

Unfasten the seat and keep it stored by the wood stove. Carry it out when you need it.

upndown
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 09:55

Battery operated blow drier..Tush warmer.

Bevis
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 17:10

She's a maniac, maniac on the meadow floorand she's working like she never worked before

...admit it... who beside me sung this. LOL

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 18:06

LOL, Bevis, I sure did. And being a "steel town girl," I'm filing away Gary O's improvements on that song for the near future, lol. Brilliant.

NorthRick
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 23:44

Quoting: abby
when someone finds a way to keep the behind from being shocked and frozen, I bow to you!

A seat made from foam board. Not kidding, a HUGE difference over anything else to plant your behind on in subzero temps.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 00:51

I think I'd be more concerned about extricating brown and yellow "icycles" from my nether-regions than frozen buns. Because it WOULD happen to me, and there WOULD be shrieking.

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 11:26

Julie2Oregon.snowbank soup is any soup u keep on the stove that is on going.u store it in snow banks between adding new stuff daily.
bring it out of snowbank and add more of all u got.put on stove.cook some more.always put in snow bank after a day of cooking.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 14:25

THAT is too cool, Cabi! I will NOT sell my stockpot, it's coming with. I love making soup and can't wait to try this!

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Mar 2016 22:39 - Edited by: Gary O

Remember the trailer/hovel ensemble?

The mobile hovel has been razed!

Fin

No more

Turned out the floor was the monster.
Yesterday we started trying to rip off the (what seemed) six inches of ply.
It ate a rather new chain on my chain saw.
Of course the pull cord broke (delays...delays)
Tried the circular saw, but kept tripping the breaker on the genny.
The only tools turned out to be the sledge hammer and humongous pry bar.
Gave 'sister sledge' quite a workout.

Only thing was I just wasn't feelin' it.

We tugged our guts out trying to get anything to budge.
Took a good couple hours to make two feet of headway.
That heap is 38 feet long.
Very discouraging.
We sat in heaving piles of our own wretched flesh and creaky bones, gathering our thoughts.

'let's start afresh tomorrow'
(sometimes ya just gotta call it a day)

My gem;
'good idea, woman, and tomorrow, let's start on the rotten end'

Today, those two thoughts carried us to culmination.
We tore thru the rotten end like butter and kep-a-goin' thru the solid stuff (only 8 feet of it) until every shred of wood, and wood like substances was off the frame.

There's tired

And there's good'n tired

We have good'n tired tonight

Now to rid ourselves of the metal.
Craig's List here we come.

NorthRick
# Posted: 25 Mar 2016 00:21

Just looking at that makes me tired.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 Mar 2016 01:16

WOW! Light 'er up, have a barbecue, and put your feet up for a couple of days -- you two have earned it!

First, Flashdance and now "Sister Sledge." I think your new nickname around here is going to have to be Gary DiscO.

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Mar 2016 01:48

Well then, as Buckshot Roberts said in Young Guns;

'Let's dance'

abby
# Posted: 25 Mar 2016 15:31

look at you, Gary, going all John Travolta on us! wow, you both have truly worked your behinds clean off. and yet..........you still dance!

my hub has plans with the big gun torches when we rip our moby down that far. that is a scary thought right there.

hope spring is there!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 Mar 2016 15:50

Well then, as Buckshot Roberts said in Young Guns;'Let's dance'

Bwahahaha, that's awesome!

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Mar 2016 20:41

snows melting but more coming on monday.
here is a picture of mr.bear.we have not seen him for months now.he is peeking up his little head to come out of his winters sleep.
finally getting to see my seaberry trees.agh.two snapped off in the winter.two are left and they are in good shape.
still dont know if my oregon grape holly plants made it thru as they too are still buried under snow and a fallen tree.
hoping to see my raspberry plants,lavender plant and rhubarb.praying.
today i got some cherry trees.they withstand -20 to -30 below.cant wait to get them in the ground.
exciting times.winters going away(maybe) and spring is alive and peeking thru.
mr.bear
mr.bear
self polinating
self polinating

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Mar 2016 21:17 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: abby
you both have truly worked your behinds clean off. and yet..........you still dance!

Well, actually, I have just the one move...'down'
(cabi propped me up from horizontal for the pic)

My giddyup took leave about the time we started building these cabins, and has yet to return.

However

I still got giddydown.

Doin' it right now, matter of fact.

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Mar 2016 19:53

I keep thinking that soon my sunrise pics will become redundant

And then this happens;

Nature

Is

Awesome!!

Pre Easter morn at the cabin;

cabingal3
# Posted: 26 Mar 2016 20:07

beautiful gar.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 26 Mar 2016 20:21

Oh, that is absolutely awe-inspiring! I'm mindful of the fact that no matter the cabin design, style, and fixtures, it is this ^^^ that is what's unsurpassably beautiful and what makes small cabin life so worthwhile. And humbling.

Happy Easter, Cabi and Gary!

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Mar 2016 20:33

Thank you, J2, and so true.

Oh, and Gordy the guardin' bear has made his appearance, so spring is a comin'!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 26 Mar 2016 20:42

Breathtaking.
Happy Easter to you and your cabi 3.
Lisa

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Mar 2016 20:50

Quoting: naturelover66
Happy Easter to you and your cabi 3

Thanks, Lisa
How's winter treating you guys over there?

cabingal3
# Posted: 26 Mar 2016 20:54

happy Easter everyone.thank u.

hattie
# Posted: 28 Mar 2016 11:59

So you've got a rabbit? Are you going to eat it? Here's our favourite recipe for wild Hare....It's really good, but I'll be honest....The first time I made it just because of the name.

Hare Krishna (Rabbit/Hare Curry)

1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 lb. hare or rabbit meat, cut off the bones and into chunks
Salt
1 cup yellow or white onions, sliced root to tip
1 tbsp. minced ginger
1 tbsp. minced garlic
7 oz. tomato sauce
½ cup plain, Greek yogurt
1 cup water
1 bay leaf
½ heaping tsp. turmeric
1 tbsp. Madras curry powder
½ tbsp. Garam Masala

Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Pat the hare pieces dry with paper towels and brown them well. Remove to a bowl once browned.
Add the onion and saute until it begins to brown at the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook another minute.
Return the meat to the pot and add the tomato paste, water, bay leaf, turmeric and Madras curry powder. Stir in the yogurt and bring to a gentle simmer. Add salt to taste and simmer with lid on for 30 minutes.
Finish by stirring in the Garam Masala. Serve over basmati rice.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 28 Mar 2016 20:26

OMG, parents decided that the day of EASTER would be great for killing and chopping up their kids' pet BUNNY?! They couldn't wait a day or two just for the kids' sake not to associate Easter with trauma?!

So, years down the road, if there emerges Easter serial killer siblings in the PNW, do contact the FBI, Gary!

Hattie, that Hare Krishna (haha, great name) sounds FANTASTIC! Wonder if it would work with chicken? (After all, everything supposedly tastes like chicken, lol.) I LOVE Indian food.

abby
# Posted: 29 Mar 2016 09:48 - Edited by: abby

wow, Gary, those photos are so stunning!! love them! oh dear, as to the rabbit......I'm all about rabbit stew, but not from a pet. I can't even comment on how I feel about that. I guess I can't see anything worth seeing children cry over. farm children know the difference between livestock and pets, and I fear those parents failed a bit. ok, I guess I did comment!

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Mar 2016 11:11 - Edited by: Gary O

Well, it was the kids' idea.
They'd had it...

<< 1 ... 27 . 28 . 29 . 30 . 31 . 32 . 33 . 34 . 35 . 36 . 37 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.