Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 10x12 Shed w/loft
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
MikeOnBike
# Posted: 18 Oct 2010 18:41 - Edited by: MikeOnBike

My family has acquired 80 acres in southern Idaho. Eventually we will have about 3 cabins. The first structure is a shed that will be used for sleeping and tool storage while we build the first cabin. It is 10x12 with a loft and a 4x10 porch.

The construction is concrete piers, 4x6 beams on the piers with a 2x6 deck. Walls are 2x4 and the rafters are 2x6. In mid-June we set the piers. They are 16-24" deep. We dug down until we hit rocks too big to clear and then set the 8" piers with 3-4 pieces of rebar. I love my water level. We also set the main gate.
Piers
Piers
Front Gate
Front Gate

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 19 Oct 2010 02:01

We spent the three day 4th of July weekend on the mtn. working on the shed.

The floor joists are 2x6 and the decking is 3/4 T&G OSB. The insulation is Foamular 150, 2", R10.

The walls are 2x4 with one door and two 3x3 windows. The loft has a 2x6 every 16" and is 8ft deep with 5' headroom.
R10 foam insulation
R10 foam insulation
Walls framed
Walls framed
Sheathing and rafters
Sheathing and rafters

bugs
# Posted: 19 Oct 2010 08:03

Hi Mike

Looks like a great piece of property. Nice mix of trees scrub and grasses. Lots of open areas to view the sky.

The building is really taking shape.

Please keep posting your progress and future plans.

bugs

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 19 Oct 2010 17:10

In mid-August we spent another weekend working on the shed.

This time we were able to get the eaves added and the roof sheathed. We got most of the tarpaper on the sides.

The packrat is dead. They really make a mess.

The view down the creek is from where the cabin will be built.
SDC10302_t.JPG
SDC10302_t.JPG
View down the creek
View down the creek

Kithera
# Posted: 20 Oct 2010 09:36

Congradulations on starting what looks to be an amazing project. I would love to see a few more pictures. I too hope to build cabin of similar size.

What sort of usage pattern are you going to have with this cabin?

Also, when you put in the floor insulation, how is it supported ? Did you put in a lower subdecking on the bottom of the your floor joists?

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 20 Oct 2010 14:02

Bugs,

The property is 1/2 mile wide by 1/8 mile high in a map view. There is a year-round creek running through from the NE to SW corners. We also have a year-round spring with great water. We should be able to finish fencing the place by next spring.

The ground is very rocky but also very beautiful. We have mahogany, juniper, sagebrush, willow, rabbit brush, and plan to reintroduce fir, aspen, alder and numerous berries that the BLM grazing cows have wiped out.

Kithera,

The shed is for storing materials/tools and sleeping while we build the main cabin which will be 20x32. The loft is big enough for a queen air mattress. We have been sleeping 4 in the shed with two in the loft and two on the main floor.

The floor insulation is supported by about 8/10 nails per bay. The foam is cut for a tight forced fit and sealed with some expanding foam for the small cracks. We did not install a lower subdecking on the bottom of the joists. I hope the vermin, including the pack rats, will leave the foam alone. If they don't I will repair the foam and probably install some hardware cloth.
Cabin site panorama
Cabin site panorama
The spring in May
The spring in May

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 21 Oct 2010 16:54

Over Labor Day weekend we got:

- the gable ends closed in
- more tarpaper on
- three windows installed
- door installed
- deck built

Not too bad but as always we thought and wished we could have done more.

SDC10319_t.JPG
SDC10319_t.JPG
Another gate
Another gate

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 21 Oct 2010 18:49

coming right along Mike! I also know the feeling of "thought and wished we could have done more"

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 21 Oct 2010 19:19 - Edited by: MikeOnBike

Nathan,

We thought we would get two sheds built this year, one for my brother and one for my wife and I but we are just getting this one finished up before the weather turns. I wish I was making your progress. So many distractions.

shotgun
# Posted: 21 Oct 2010 20:10

Looks really good Mike...
Sounds like you have a good plan!
How far do you have to travel to get to your property?

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 22 Oct 2010 00:48

Distance is about 90 mi., takes just a little over two hours and we gain 3500ft in elevation. My cabin will be right at 6000ft. It's really not too bad of a trip.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Oct 2010 22:17

Mike, your shed looks great.
Is it from a plan, or your design?
Can't wait to see the beginning and completion of the main cabin.
Ain't it grand to abide in something built with your own hands?

Quoting: MikeOnBike
wished we could have done more

The ever present feeling when leaving the haven.
Savor it all. No hurries-no worries....

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 02:05

I bought the 'Little House Plans" from countryplans.com to get an idea of how to do the pier and beam foundations. The rest was my design. I've done enough remodel work to know what I wanted and how to put it together.

My son and I went up Fri. morning and came back out tonight (Sat). It was kind of nice. We didn't do any work. Just hung out, hiked, ate, slept. First time I have just vacationed up there in a couple of years.

Being so late in the year the weather has turned and it started raining Fri. night and only let up for a couple of hours this afternoon. We were going to stay until tomorrow but the cabin isn't insulated yet and it is getting down to about freezing every night. The forecast is for even more rain and wind on Sun. so we wimped out and came out tonight.

SDC10344_t.JPG
SDC10344_t.JPG
SDC10345_t.JPG
SDC10345_t.JPG
SDC10346_t.JPG
SDC10346_t.JPG

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 26 Oct 2010 13:46

Mid-september we got:

- the eaves and soffits put on
- half of the roof metal installed

SDC10320_t.JPG
SDC10320_t.JPG

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 27 Oct 2010 01:08

In early Oct. we had a productive weekend. We were able to get the rest of the roof on and most of the siding up.

A bunch of friends showed up over the 3 day weekend so there were plenty of distractions like too much food and drink but some siding and a completed roof made it feel like we have finally made some progress.

Starting to look like something
Starting to look like something
Our new toy
Our new toy

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 27 Oct 2010 15:25

In mid-October my brother made it up to put some paint on the siding and prep some of the trim.

If the weather cooperates we hope to finish the paint and trim this weekend. Forecast doesn't look hopeful.

Not really orange, terra cotta something
Not really orange, terra cotta something
Loft
Loft

bugs
# Posted: 27 Oct 2010 16:29

Great series of posts Mike.

What a wonderful property. Love the stream and a spring to go with it.

Super looking cabin. Sounds like quite an ambitious project for the family.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 27 Oct 2010 18:27

Thanks Bugs!

It really is a great place. We are working hard to turn it into something special for the entire extended family.

Having water is really crucial in the desert. I still have to push it uphill but that is much easier than hauling it in.

This thing will probably consume us for the next 5 yrs. We just need to remember to slow down occasionally, invite some friends up for a non-work weekend, throw some meat on the grill, open a cold drink and relax.

P9121678_t.JPG
P9121678_t.JPG

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Oct 2010 20:59

Lookin' high and tight Mike.
Nothing like a refuge, after camping for months (boy do I know that one.........).

Enjoy

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Oct 2010 14:40

Interesting how you used what looked like 2X6 on the rafters and curt the tail section on the overhang to a 2X4 from the birdmouth opening. Are the enclosed soffets vented? Looks real nice. Where is you location (state is good enough)

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 31 Oct 2010 15:44

Yes, the soffets are vented and the roof has a ridge vent. I used the perforated fiber cement soffet material. Next spring I'll get some R13 put in the rafters and covered with some plywood. I didn't want the eaves to look too heavy so we just thinned the 2x6 down to the 2x4 width for the 16" soffet.

We are in SW Idaho.

Anonymous
# Posted: 31 Oct 2010 21:46

Nice job, I am looking at building a similar building in Northern Minnesota. I can only get in there by boat and it is about a 2 hour trip one way so that'll make things interesting. I was wondering if you would post a materials list?

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 1 Nov 2010 16:00

Ok, here is the materials list as best as I can tell. I went through the build process in my head several times and consulted the pictures. Hope I haven't left something out.

I hope you have a good size boat. Most of this went up on one very overloaded trailer. For the next shed which is on the same property but has a different road I will have to haul it in one pickup load at a time. I think I can get a weekend's materials in the pickup. Perhaps you can do the same with your boat.

Piers - 8 piers, includes deck piers
6 - 4'x8" sonotube
cement to fill, 3 rebar/pier
8 - 1/2" j-bolts w/nuts and washers
8 - SIMPSON STRONG-TIE ABA44Z 4x4 Standoff Post Base

Floor Platform
2 - 4x6x12' PT beams
2 - 2x6x12' joists
10 - 2x6x10' joists
4 - 4'x8'x3/4" T/G plywood/OSB decking
4 - 4'x8'x2" Foamular 150 R10 foam insulation
2 - 29oz DP4000 tubes of floor adhesive

Walls, gable ends
2 - rolls 15lb felt
70 - 2x4 studs
6 - 2x4x10'
6 - 2x4x12'
16 - 4x8x1/2" plywood/OSB sheathing
4 - 2x6x8' for window/door headers

Loft
7 - 2x6x10' joists
3 - 4x8x1/2" plywood decking

Roof
2 - rolls 30lb felt
10 - 3'x106" metal roof panel
2 - 10ft ridge vent
4 - 10ft edge metal
10 - 3' ridge vent foam stuff
? - 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" roofing screws
9 - 4x8x5/8" plywood/OSB sheathing
1 - 2x6x12' ridge beam
20 - 2x6x10' rafters
10 - 2x4x10' flying rafters, rafter ends

Misc.
40 - hurricane clips
1 - 50lb box 10d nails
1 - 50lb box 8d nails
1 - 5000ct 1" plasticap nails
2 - 3/8"x10' Z-metal
? - 5/8" H clips
1 - fibercement 7-1/4" blade

Fibercement stuff
13 - 4'x9' Hardi Sierra 8 panels
6 - 4/4x6"x12' Hardi trim
15 - 4/4x4"x12' Hardi trim
3 - 16"x12' vent Hardi soffet
3 - 16"x12' non-vent Hardi soffet

Windows/Doors
1 - 36" steel insulated door
2 - 3'x3' windows
1 - 2'x2' window
1 - can spray foam to seal door gaps
1 - keyed bolt
1 - keyed entry

Paint
4 - gals exterior paint
24 - 10oz tubes DAP Alex Plus caulk
1 - can spray primer (door)
2 - can spray SG white (door)

Deck - 4x10 (wo/steps)
1 - 4x6x10' PT beam
2 - 2x4x10' PT
4 - 2x4x8' PT
8 - 2x4 face mount hangers
12 - 1x6x10' decking

RnR
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 13:52

Awesome Mike! Keep the photos and updates coming.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 15:33

Thanks RnR,

I have one more trip planned for this weekend. I have a huge todo list and it's supposed to rain. A buddy and I are going up to winterize the shed.

Since it is freezing at night up there one of the todo items is to put some insulation in the shed. I was going to wait until next spring but I can get a lot of insulation up in an hour and be much warmer at night. I really hope we have all the holes plugged and don't find a pack rat motel next spring.

May Flowers
May Flowers

Artistic
# Posted: 4 Nov 2010 17:34

Looks great do you have any pics of the inside / loft access? I am looking at doing something simular up to 200 sq. feet in Utah.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 4 Nov 2010 18:01

I don't have a loft access picture but I'm headed up there Sat. morning and will take some for you.

The shed is 11' 5" deep on the inside. The loft starts at the back wall and comes forward about 93" so the front is open to the rafters for about the first 3-1/2'. We currently use a step ladder to access the loft. This doesn't work well in the middle of the night when nature calls.

The loft picture in an earlier post was taken while standing about halfway up the step ladder and leaning with my back against the front wall.

I plan to build a wood ladder that will start at the floor between the front door and window and slope up to the loft. It will hinge at the floor so it can be pushed up against the front wall when not in use. The hinges should also make it fairly stable.
Crude depiction of loft ladder
Crude depiction of loft ladder

Artistic
# Posted: 4 Nov 2010 21:16

That is a good idea on the ladder. I will look forward to seeing the pictures that you take. I am putting ideas together this Winter and starting construction in the spring.

Gary O
# Posted: 4 Nov 2010 22:16

Quoting: MikeOnBike
I plan to build a wood ladder

I'm there too.
Trying to decide on a pull down attic ladder, hand hewn half log stairs, or something fixed and conventional. So, your pix would be great.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 8 Nov 2010 01:06

We made the last working trip to the mtn. this weekend. The weather was lousy on Sat. and then it got worse and rained all day Sun.

We insulated the loft space, managed to finish the siding and nail up the trim around the windows, door and corners of the shed. We caulked the seams until the rain started washing it out. It was too cold to put up anymore paint.

SAM_0326_t.JPG
SAM_0326_t.JPG
SAM_0342_t.JPG
SAM_0342_t.JPG
SAM_0343_t.JPG
SAM_0343_t.JPG

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.