Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Island 12 x 20 cabin with loft
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
canadian girl
# Posted: 9 Feb 2011 22:00

Hi all I am new to this site and wanted to tell you how impressed I am with it :) I have been visiting often , reading your posts and gathering information that will indeed go a long way when the time comes for us to build. I live on PEI, which is a small Island on the east coast of Canada with my husband and our 3 sons ages 8,10 and 12. We recently bought a 2.67 acres of wooded land that has a 12 x 20 concrete slab we intend to build a cabin on top of. Our plan is to build one with a loft for the two older boys to sleep in while my husband and I and our youngest son will sleep on the main floor. I am really loving P0rtia's post and will likely build something along the line of that with our own personal touches. Our youngest has special needs so we will be keeping that in mind when we build. Anyway I look forward to reading more about your cabin/cottage/camp ideas.
our land is located near the middle of this pic to the left of the large field
our land is located near the middle of this pic to the left of the large field

bushbunkie
# Posted: 9 Feb 2011 22:06

Hey Canadian Girl,
Always room for another a friendly Canuck!
Welcome and as you've already discovered...many kindred cabin spirits lurk within these threads.
Cheers.

Just
# Posted: 9 Feb 2011 23:13

don't know if you've seen this it's a 8' x 13' 6" or 10 sq. M. two bedroom our family built 5 or six years ago .room for two dubble beds up stairs and a pull out down sleeps 6.. cost us about two grand has a set of 5 ft. ikea cupboards with dubble sink 7 ft. head room down and a area up stairs with 6' 6" head roon to stand and change .quite private fo such a small space!!had a seperate outside shower and washroom in a fenced courtyard just out the side door might give you some ideas ?
plan
plan
front
front
back
back
front deck built on a steep hill
front deck built on a steep hill

canadian girl
# Posted: 9 Feb 2011 23:32

Quoting: bushbunkie
Welcome

thank you :) I look forward to making many new friends :)

canadian girl
# Posted: 9 Feb 2011 23:56

Quoting: Just
don't know if you've seen this it's a 8' x 13' 6" or 10 sq. M. two bedroom our family built 5 or six years ago .room for two dubble beds up stairs and a pull out down sleeps 6.. cost us about two grand has a set of 5 ft. ikea cupboards with dubble sink 7 ft. head room down and a area up stairs with 6' 6" head roon to stand and change .quite private fo such a small space!!had a seperate outside shower and washroom in a fenced courtyard just out the side door might give you some ideas ?

That sounds wonderful thank you for sharing :) but because my youngest is special needs he requires close attention and main floor living . Our intention is to enjoy some years with the kids as they grow up fast and with any luck we will either upgrade further in on the property or move the kids into a bunk house and take over the loft ourselves :) We aren't exactly sure what we are building yet but because there is an existing 12 x 20 slab already on the land those will be the dimensions we will build from . I think we will leave the main floor pretty open with a 3/4 bed tucked into one corner and a couch and chair in the other. the kitchen area won't consist of much as we won't have running water for a few years and are unsure whether we will install power or not . I am very interested in inquiring in Ikea style furniture that will turn our small place into something functional. So far I am looking online for ideas as retail choices are pretty limited on our Island . My husband is quite handy so I am hoping he will custom build some great pieces himself:)

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 08:55

welcome and beautiful place on the pic////////and a slab in place so it sounds like you are well on your way..............good liuck with you build....

Just
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 09:11

better get a copy of the local bylaws before you dream to hard ! being a canadain also , I know there can be a lot of ruals !many townships heve them on line now they are a must read!!

ontario

canadian girl
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 14:30

Quoting: Just
better get a copy of the local bylaws before you dream to hard ! being a Canadian also , I know there can be a lot of rules

We will look into it for sure but as far as I know PEI has pretty relaxed bylaws for the most part .I don't expect there to be any problem but I have been known to be naive before lol

canadian girl
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 14:44

Thank you I already enjoy being here , I am sure I will learn lots :) As for the land we found it quite by accident and fell in love with it from the get go :)

canadian girl
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 15:30

every dream has to start somewhere.............this is where ours begins.............
this is what we are dreaming of
this is what we are dreaming of
beach access
beach access
this is what it looked like the day we bought it
this is what it looked like the day we bought it
under all this is our concrete pad
under all this is our concrete pad

Just
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 15:47

AhAhAh. the red earth of P.E.I>have you read the thred about the cabins in qubec may be you should get your permit soon ! pics are great . keep us up !!

canadian girl
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 16:02

I have read it Just and it's crazy :( I would think that the more touristy places on PEI have some strictness but our lot is along the eastern end of the island ....which is still somewhat undiscovered by most.

islandguy
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 21:11

What colour are the gables going to be? (;-)

canadian girl
# Posted: 11 Feb 2011 10:11

haha maybe green just like Anne's :~D..........................seriously we haven't dreamed that far in advance but I am fond of the dark greys , dark sages, dark beige's or smokey blues because we are building it relatively close to the road we want something we can blend into the surroundings so it's not all that noticeable .

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Feb 2011 10:22

i vote sage green..........blends in in the woods and timber..........

bushbunkie
# Posted: 12 Feb 2011 15:10

"Our youngest has special needs so we will be keeping that in mind when we build. Anyway I look forward to reading more about your cabin/cottage/camp ideas."

Hey canadian girl,
In my other life, when I'm not at or thinking about my little bunkie/cabin, I'm a manager at a children's treatment centre in Ontario....I work with kids with physical and developmental disabilities
I'm not sure what your son's needs are, but I have access to recreation therapists and a creative mobility / seating guy...all who enjoy the outdoors in their private lives as well.
You and your husband are obviously your son's champions...but if you ever get stuck re. ideas / equipment to help your son be the most independent and have the most fun in the outdoors...let us know.....
You're probably already hooked up to a great support network in PEI...but just extending the invitation.
Cheers!

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 26 Feb 2011 22:24

Hey girl,

Welcome! Awesome design! Build yourself a scaled model out of 1" dowels. It was a big help for us. Good luck and keep the pictures flowing as you build!

~Elk

canadian girl
# Posted: 27 Feb 2011 07:49

Thanks bushbunkie for the invitation. Adding extra support is never a bad thing . Without getting to personal our son's diagnosis is epilepsy ( so far under control for almost 2 years) a severe developmental delay ( developmental age is approx 4yrs actual age is 8 however he has come a long way in the last 3 years where his developmental age was 17 months ) and just last July he was diagnosed with Autism and to make it all that more interesting he is non verbal. Resources and support seems to lack on PEI unfortunately although it is getting better now that he has the autism diagnosis. His teacher, Ea's and school are amazing they have really stepped up to the plate for him and we are most impressed:)

canadian girl
# Posted: 27 Feb 2011 07:54

Quoting: elkdiebymybow
Awesome design!

Thanks but we have to thank p0rtia for the inspiration because our pad was smaller than we had wished we weren't sure if building up would look odd but p0rtia pics of her 12 x 20 with loft inspired us . All that's left is to build it . I sure hope the all that snow melts soon !!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Feb 2011 08:16

the snow will melt soon, i am sure, i worked down on my new camp lot, yesteday-----70's and t'shirt and shorts and sunglass kinda day..............and today near 80's....it even getting to warm for us this time of year. I talked to a friend of mine in Maine yesterday they got 12 more inches of snow and more was expected for last night, he was really down from all the snow this winter in the northeast.

canadian girl
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 09:06

so we started yesterday making our dream a reality...................... but first we had to shovel snow. We are hoping the snow will all go soon so that we can start actually building by April 1st. I took a few pics yesterday .....
looking in from the road
looking in from the road
our road to the beach
our road to the beach
and the shoveling begins.........
and the shoveling begins.........
looking out from the pad
looking out from the pad

canadian girl
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 09:14

the pad
the pad
Our little one enjoying the outside
Our little one enjoying the outside
around the turn it becomes a one lane paved road with a few year round houses on it
around the turn it becomes a one lane paved road with a few year round houses on it

canadian girl
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 09:16

oops this first photo is the pad with my husband and 3 boys on it , the second picture is looking off to the left of the pad into the "yard"

rayyy
# Posted: 15 Mar 2011 05:46

WOW!!! your an inspiration to all of us ,canadian girl.We will enjoy reading your post's on your cabin as it progresses.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 17 Mar 2011 12:36

Hi Canadian Girl,
Things seem to be coming together.....awesome!
Keep us posted with your pics.

canadian girl
# Posted: 25 Mar 2011 22:14

Tomorrow we start making our dream a reality :) I am so excited!!! Last week we were able to get the shoe installed and tonight we picked up a good deal of the supplies . We are hoping the weather stays fine as we woke up this morning to find white ground again. Most of it melted today but they are calling for flurries again tomorrow.If all goes as planned we should have more pics to upload Sunday evening :):):) stay tuned ..................
view of the pad with shoe from the road
view of the pad with shoe from the road
view of pad with shoe  from woods
view of pad with shoe from woods

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Mar 2011 22:19

looks good, hope you guys get a lot done this weekend. I am working on mine tomorrow and they are calling for thunderstorms/rain here. Looking forward to your pic's on Sunday........

Just
# Posted: 25 Mar 2011 22:23

looks great , is the cement going to be the floor or ar u putting in wood. I see you have some p.t. 4x4 down

canadian girl
# Posted: 25 Mar 2011 22:33

for now the cement is going to be the floor .Eventually we will put something on it but for this summer it will be covered only with a rug and likely lots of beach sand ;).

Just
# Posted: 25 Mar 2011 22:50

we built a cottage on a cement pad once ,we tryed painting it but that did not work .just kept peeling of .. should use epoxy they say cost more but it works ,,,hope you put some sealer between the cement and that 4x4 as we did not and hade lots of water problems in the spring just when the frost went out !! bet your family is excited u best get to bed ,,good luck !!

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.