Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Island 12 x 20 cabin with loft
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
canadian girl
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 07:56

We have walls and windows and a door hooray :) Just need to finish shingling the roof paint the floor and move in furniture .
we need to get hardware so we can install the screen door.
we need to get hardware so we can install the screen door.
front door installed
front door installed
walls are done
walls are done
:) ...........
:) ...........

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 08:37

i know you are PROUD and i am so proud for ya.............it looks great!!!!!! enjoy!!!

canadian girl
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 09:37

Thanks everyone we are so incredibly proud of it As you all know it is a labor of love and although it was a lot of hard work we very much enjoyed doing it as a family together.

canadian girl
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 10:04

A
Quoting: steveqvs
Obviously your idea and my idea of "good weather" differ! :)

Steve good weather here is anything other than heavy rain or heavy snow haha As long as it wasn't slippery we could work :)

Quoting: Just
Is that funiture i see inside

its just lawn furniture for now but looking forward to moving in real furniture when the roof is shingled :) hopefully next weekend !!

canadian girl
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 10:09

As for the Triangle windows in the gable they are all my husbands doing. They were our 1st purchase. He found them on usedeverywhere.com because we are so close to the road we wanted light but privacy this allowed us to have both :)

neb
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 22:36

Nice. How long did it take you to get to get your cabin to this point?

canadian girl
# Posted: 28 Apr 2011 15:49

It has actually gone quite quickly . We shoveled off the pad in early March and laid the shoe I believe around March 20th. The following weekend we started building the cabin .My husband and two sons usually head down early Saturday morning to get started on the project and I typically head down around noon to cook dinner. My father in law helped the first Saturday with framing the first story in and one of my husband's co workers helped with the rafters installing them and applying most of the chipboard ( God bless his heart ) . I believe this is our 4th weekend ( Saturday and Sunday)working at it . We are hoping to get the roof shingled this weekend if the weather holds and the floor painted too . Then if all goes well next weekend we will move in furniture and start enjoying it Vinyl siding will come later when we can afford it .

neb
# Posted: 28 Apr 2011 23:23

You did good getting it this far in that amount of time. Very nice.

canadian girl
# Posted: 8 May 2011 22:35

We are still chugging away at the cabin but have slowed down enough to enjoy it a little . Last weekend we completed shingling the lower roof did lots of yard work and enjoyed a marshmallow roast with the kids . This weekend we spent most of Saturday away from the cabin imagine that haha. We came down late in the afternoon to cooked supper and do some cleaning up inside and out. Today we had a Mother's day BBQ and painted half the floor. Next week we hope to paint the rest of the floor and finish shingling the loft roof. We are getting so very close I can hardly wait :)
getting there
getting there
painting floor
painting floor

canadian girl
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 09:34

thought I would share some pics of our property with leaves on the trees :) It is so peaceful and relaxing there We absolutely love the place and usually spend weekend days there . Looking forward to soon spending the whole weekend there .
the trees are hiding it nicely
the trees are hiding it nicely
the back from the road
the back from the road
the end from the road
the end from the road
the trees hide a lot
the trees hide a lot

Just
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 17:41

look great, u could have a dance on that shinny floor..

canadian girl
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 20:35

Thanks, we likely could have if it wasn't wall to wall furniture haha . Hand me downs take up a lot of room ;)

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 22:38

Quoting: canadian girl
the trees hide a lot

trees are your friend....cabin is looking great.

Just
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 22:43

Yep ,I think that is the biggest problem with a cabin or cottage , every one thinks thinks you want or need there junk!! You end up with a place full of junk . You have to learn to say NO thanks..

canadian girl
# Posted: 18 Jun 2011 08:43

for now we are happy to accept their junk but when finances allow we will replace it all with something on a smaller scale .

canadian girl
# Posted: 30 Jul 2011 15:47

some new shots of the cabin
cabin front view
cabin front view
cabin angle view
cabin angle view
cabin and gazebo in side yard
cabin and gazebo in side yard
cabin end view from road
cabin end view from road

canadian girl
# Posted: 30 Jul 2011 15:57

interior pics
living room / kids room
living room / kids room
kitchen / dining room
kitchen / dining room
kitchen cupboards
kitchen cupboards

canadian girl
# Posted: 30 Jul 2011 16:06

loft pics
loft
loft
loft bed
loft bed
view of living room from loft
view of living room from loft

Just
# Posted: 31 Jul 2011 09:34

nice job inside looks comfortable. your boys will not forget this summer !! did dad make the cupboards i like them??.

canadian girl
# Posted: 31 Jul 2011 11:13

Thanks we are absolutely loving it . Heading there later today for a few days . The boys are having fun although missing their electronics haha. My husband did not build these cupboards( but he did build me a set for the house before we started the cottage) these are actually a set my dad salvaged for us from the company he worked for before they demolished the building. They still need to be sanded down and refinished but we are enjoying them as they are this summer.

hattie
# Posted: 31 Jul 2011 13:49

canadian girl - Your place looks so warm and inviting! You are doing a fabulous job. I love the loft bed. I hope you will eventually put up some kind of rail though - would hate to roll over and fall out of bed. *LOL* The kitchen cupboards are fantastic! What a salvage find!!!! I agree with Just - You are making some incredible memories for your kids and these are times they will remember throughout their lives!!

canadian girl
# Posted: 2 Aug 2011 17:39

thanks Hattie:) The loft will indeed have a rail soon .Last weekend we purchased iron rungs we are going to use for the railing and stairs . stay tuned.............:) We still have lots of work to do to get it to where our vision is for it but for now we are enjoying it immensely .

canadian girl
# Posted: 29 Aug 2011 00:27

Awe I can't believe summer is almost over :(. Thought I would add some new photos. Our loft is now safe with the installation of a new rail :) Our first summer was an amazing experience with lots of memories made . Looking forward to the fall colors but hoping for many more beach days first:)
installing the loft rail
installing the loft rail
a friendly visitor :)
a friendly visitor :)
a beach we visit often ,about a 5 minute drive down the road from us
a beach we visit often ,about a 5 minute drive down the road from us

Montanan
# Posted: 29 Aug 2011 11:46

Wow- what a great place in a spectacular setting! The cabin looks great- I bet the vaulted area over the couch/bed makes it feel really spacious. And your kitchen is HUGE- lots of room to work. I like that you've added curtains and decorative bedding. It makes the place look really cozy. I can't wait to be at that stage...almost there!

hattie
# Posted: 29 Aug 2011 11:52

Your railing is awesome. That beach looks WONDERFUL and so close! Nice piece of paradise you have there!

canadian girl
# Posted: 9 Apr 2012 10:05

I am so excited to share that we now have stairs Yay no more step ladder needed to get into the loft . They are a bit steeper than we would have liked but you do what you have to do with limited space . Need to work on getting the stair railings attached and we will be all set. I am also excited about the two newest projects my husband is working on for me He is building me a daybed that will have a trundle underneath it and also a bathroom / change room area . I grew up going to our family cottage that was very rustic and hated it lol the outhouse still gives me nightmares !! So when coming up with our plan I want one that will be open and big and resemble more of a bathroom than an outhouse . I want a beachy feel inside with white walls , blue and green accents we will see how it turns out I am looking forward to another summer spent there. We have been down to it often this winter and if all goes well and we get nice weather we may spend next weekend there. just a few pics to keep you all up to date
stairs without rail
stairs without rail
the stair rail will be the same as the loft rail
the stair rail will be the same as the loft rail
the start of our bathroom which will make me a happy camper :)
the start of our bathroom which will make me a happy camper :)
a church bench a man gave to my husband that folds flat when not in use
a church bench a man gave to my husband that folds flat when not in use

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Apr 2012 10:36

Wow...your place is going to be awesome when you are done!!!!

I had to chuckle when you said the outhouse still gives you nightmares!!! LOL...I can relate! When we built our outhouse I told my husband that I don't want some 3x3 box that ya spend your whole time trying not to brush up against some nasty, smelly spider webbed wall!!!!! We went with the maximum size the county allows which was 6x6-nice and roomy with places to hang things up and set things down and a big old slate chalkboard for leaving little messages for others who visit! Gets pretty funny actually! I LOVE my outhouse I can honestly say and I will love it even more when we get the interior of it finished off!

canadian girl
# Posted: 12 May 2012 18:10

change in plans .............. a co-worker of my husbands gave us a building we are going to now modify into an outhouse Our plan is to move the window to the left and turn it on it's side to put a door where the window and to modify the roof to include a small covered deck and to replace the blue steel with shingles to match the cabin We are going to use the wood what we started to build the bathroom with as a deck for the cabin
newly aquired building
newly aquired building
this is similar to what we hope to have in the end  :)
this is similar to what we hope to have in the end :)

hattie
# Posted: 12 May 2012 19:00

Your place is really coming along great. The outhouse will be perfect and so cute!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 May 2012 22:18

nice and the PRICE was right!!!!!
i kinda like the blue roof....

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.