Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Duck Mtn Saskabush 14x20
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
jsahara24
# Posted: 19 May 2020 07:53

I've also left out the headers/jacks until the wall was raised to keep the weight to a minimum.

gwindhurst
# Posted: 19 May 2020 09:39 - Edited by: gwindhurst

Also, set side walls then front and back or vice versa (hopefully you take a break and see this)...
Side walls
Side walls

Hangblague
# Posted: 19 May 2020 20:39

Day 6. First I want you for the excellent wall-raising guidance. I am following the above advice. I got lucky today and ran into my farmer neighbour. He knew what I was up to and volunteered to help with his nephew. I might have managed on my own but I probably would have seriously injured my back.

With this help, wall went up in about 5 minutes, plumb, straight & braced.

The other adventure of the day was hunting down a fellow half an hour away who mills fir telephone poles. I am thinking of getting some big beams for porch framing and a couple interior rafter ties.

Carpentry is a slow process for me, not only because I'm working alone, but also because I have to figure each step painfully and still make mistakes. Camp chores and tool care also take a lot of time.

Beautiful weather. Wind has finally died down. Frogs never stop their racket. No mosquitoes yet, but lots of ticks.
Framing
Framing
First wall up
First wall up
Window view
Window view

Hangblague
# Posted: 22 May 2020 20:42

Days 7,8 and 9.

It's laundry day. I met my wife in town and can finally post an update. My data connection at the land is dodgy at best and I finally gave up trying. Today is the first night in a week that I get a break from the tent.

All wall framing is done at last. Much of the time was spent procuring, hauling and shaping 6x6 beams for the porch. They tie into the wall framing and so the critical front overlapping top plate needed to see some of that done.

I got help lifting the long walls but lifted the shorter ones alone. Between that and the beams, my back is less than happy.

Lots of mistakes. Lots of redoes, lots of compromises. Slowly I'm learning how to work more efficiently.
Three walls braced
Three walls braced
16 foot beams
16 foot beams
Pulled out of my truck tire
Pulled out of my truck tire
Chainsaw joinery
Chainsaw joinery

Hangblague
# Posted: 22 May 2020 20:44 - Edited by: Hangblague

Here is where I'm at now. All wall framing done. Sheathing is next I guess.
Cabin walls and some porch timbers
Cabin walls and some porch timbers

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 23 May 2020 11:27

Looks great man ! I like to put nails in to help hold things when working alone. Such as for your siding. Snap a line or identify where the bottom of your sheet siding will be tack a couple nail in just below the line and bend them up a bit so things don’t slide as easily. And yes I have stood walls alone. On our house the side walls are 40’ . I used 2 wall jacks, you can look them up. To lift them fully sheeted on the second floor. Jeesh was I nervous about that.
And yes measure a bunch of times n still a boo boo. Are you using a power chop saw to cut your lumber ? Having square cuts helps a lot . If you don’t or if others who may read this aren’t using one I would suggest that. Safer also. And for me easier.
I like to think that the extra time I spend in the planning department located on the sofa next to the lazyboy saves me time on the job site. Oh yeah keep the site policed up. Probably the biggest suggestion here. Question, now that you’re building it is it what you expected?
Good luck and thanks for the updates.

Hangblague
# Posted: 24 May 2020 21:05

Thanks for those tips! All valuable. Day 10 was mostly town errands. Then back to the land. My wife came and stained the subfloor. Hopefully this will protect it a bit from the weather while my progress is slow. I got the last porch timber up, the long top one.

Today, day 11, I did some tool maintenance and, with Mrs. Hangblague's help, got a bit more than half of the wall sheathing up. We also took time to relax. She's gone back home now, so I'll carry on with Aklogcabin's advice for shifting on my own.

No pictures yet. Internet too weak.

Is it what I expected? I've been extremely fortunate with the weather. It's downright idyllic here right now. But the mistakes never let up. I think and think and figure and plan and measure and plan and then screw up. Still I'm mostly able to correct or compensate. Also, working alone, things progress way slower than I imagined.

Hangblague
# Posted: 24 May 2020 21:08

Also, my wife and I moved the tiny tent onto the cabin floor for now. So last night was technically the first night in the cabin. Lots of ventilation and great views.

Hangblague
# Posted: 24 May 2020 21:13

As for chop saw, I left it at home. It's an old Makita. Good quality, but doesn't slide or quite finish a 2x6. I've been using the little 7 1/4" circular saw. Seems adequate. Yes I use the little carpenter's triangle as a fence.

Hangblague
# Posted: 25 May 2020 14:10

Day 12 Sheathing nearly done. Soon I can start thinking about roofing. Here are some more recent photos.
Walls up, stain protecting subfloor
Walls up, stain protecting subfloor
Moving in early
Moving in early
Tool maintenance
Tool maintenance
Sheathing underway
Sheathing underway

Hangblague
# Posted: 26 May 2020 15:22

Day 13. Tired. Moving slowly. Finished sheathing at last. Cut the windows with the chainsaw. Now my attention has turned to the roof. I'm ripping the 8x8 with the chainsaw to make 2 jumbo rafter ties. Making a crude job of it I'm afraid. I'll have to say to my wife the words "rustic" "character" and "distressed look".

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.