Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / inverter not reading watts
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 .
bc thunder
# Posted: 28 Nov 2021 20:59

I get what your saying on the inverter, but Id also need a cc, and fuse.
I don't have a service box, the power strip wires right up to the AIO.
Everytime I wanted to charge batteries, I have two make two 12 v out of the 4 6v
I'll get a quote for what it would cost me, and think some on it.
Maybe, like you said ,this might be slightly better with a couple cycles.
After i turned on the gen, I looked 45 mins later and the bulk was done. It is now on float at 2/3 amps.
I know it won't be better tomorrow, but I'm praying for a christmas miracle........

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Nov 2021 21:07 - Edited by: gcrank1

Ahhh, scc! duh on me....'aio'
Sudden thought
Wonder if the aio is backfeeding to the array and sucking amps out of the bats when there isnt any incoming to actually charge?
If that is happening it might be even with the aio 'turned off'. You could maybe tell if the bat-bank is lower voltage come morning than the evening even though you are running nothing? You could test by discon the array like you thought compared to not. Unless the aio is burning up amps in standby.....
Maybe one of our members with more understanding about that can address the possibility.

bc thunder
# Posted: 30 Nov 2021 14:51

Bought a 24v summit gc battery charger, with wifi data to your phone.
Spoiler alert-------No better
The data as follows;
8amps
38ah
32.7v

The AIO is not the problem...
These batteries (which I got last Thursday) are the problem, just as the eight before them were the problem.
4 useable hrs, that is all I have ever gotten from any of these gc batteries. Never once more.
I'm currently charging the "old" string, maybe I can get 8 hrs tottal and be done with it.

bc thunder
# Posted: 30 Nov 2021 16:09

Second string
8amps
26ah
32.7v

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Nov 2021 16:38

I dont know how to interpret those numbers

bc thunder
# Posted: 30 Nov 2021 17:34

I'll get 4 hrs out of the new string
I'll get 3 hrs out of the old string

bc thunder
# Posted: 30 Nov 2021 17:49

STEVE S had it right all along, use these up hard, while saving for something better.......

Heartfelt Thanks to everyone who posted, and tried to help me through this long ordeal, and even longer threat lol.

Brettny
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 09:08

Something still just dosnt sound right. You have 100ah to play with ( half of the capacity of 200AH bank) you should beable to pull 8a@24v for 12.5hrs with no input. 8a@24v is 200w.

Either your drawing 24a some how to only get 4hr or some piece of test equipment is wrong.

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 09:49 - Edited by: gcrank1

The aio has your inverter, 24vdc to 120vac, Or are you running 240vac stuff?
Warning, more math.
Inverting from 24vdc to 120vac is off the battery bank.
If I look at a 120vac device that draws 2a (240w) it would be easy to figure that Ive inverted my 24vdc to run at 120vac so its only drawing 2a, right?
Wrong
It is actually 5x that, your '120vac 2a 240w' load on a 24v system is 10a (actually a bit more because of system inefficiencies). 240w/24v=10
Have you been calc'ing your load this way?

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 10:51

bc thunder
Sorry, I haven't looked in on this thread in a while and it moved along quite a bit. I looked to see if there was a Private Message function here... nope. I dunno if you ever joined DIYSolar, if you did, we could PM there. I may have some options and possibilities for you. After my last little stroke, my own plans and things have changed and now a certain trajectory has been set.

I'll pop in to check here if I don't see a PM @ DIY... Same User Name Steve_S.

bc thunder
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 14:04

Hey Guys
4 hrs is all I've ever gotten from any of my batteries, including the new four I got less than a week ago.

I just bought a new 24volt gc charger, put the new batteries on equal mode. It gives me real time info on my phone. When finished charging, and not hooked up in any way to the AIO, or anything else, it says I have 34ah of a possible 230ah.
When broke down to a 100/150 watt draw, that comes out to 4hrs usable or so.
The old string came out at 26ah of a possible 230.
I have since hooked them up to AIO, and am going to run them down to 40% if my inverter can run that low without any problems........
The new charger on the new batteries proves, (to me at least) the AIO is not the problem.

I have a possible theory as to what might be happening with these batteries. When I took 4 back to the original store for replacement, they told me they couldn't find the replacment 4. They looked for an hr, before I finally left with my old batteries in hand. Two days later they phoned and told me the maintenace staff took them and put them in the genie or forklift or whatever quipt they were using. It is possible these type of batteries are being "used lightly" and then put back, only to be sold to unsuspecting customers.
I don't know..... but these batteries are garbage.
All 12 I have had came out the gate as garbage.
I will treat these as garbage, and never buy there again. I get 7 hrs from these, just like the 24v charger says I should. The lenght of time thishas gone on is crazy for all posters, but I'm living it.

This is only my side problem, a back drop to the worst period of my life. In the last 4 weeks as this has been unfolding, my StepFather died in hospital, an old friend died of heartattack, my StepMother had a stroke, and my Father lies at present in hospital, not expected to live 2 more weeks.
I really didn't need these battery problems as well.

I don't know why these batts are like this, but I know it's them that's the problem.
It's time for me to move on.............

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 14:31

I hear ya & feel for you too... The "whole" is not always as many would like.

Reason I wanted to PM... Dec.01 is today, my death cleanout process is starting NOW. I will not see end of 2022. I've got heaps of Lithium (LFP) stuff like BMS' Relays, Solid State Contactors and more... For a fellow Canuck trying to get it together, there may something good for you. By end of April I have to clear this place as much as possible, hire a couple of helpers to finish it so I can list it and move into the waiting box.

The Square Body Chev's are more or less spoken for and things are going ruthelessly.

For anyone wanting to Volunteer Cures and whatnot... heard it all and not at all interested, none of this is open for yapping. Sorry but everyone has "the " answer. Tedious to the point of enragement.

One final point for Any Male approaching 40. Get a Freakin PSA Test @ 40 and every 5 yrs after that ! That wait till 50 crap is KRAP ! If I had it done @ caught it 40, I may have had a chance.

bc thunder
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 14:51

just pmed you

bc thunder
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 20:09

OK I"M BACK FROM MOVING ON

HONDA JUST BLEW UP plugged into the AIO and heard it reving crazy high, by the time I got there was smocking out the exhaust. Turned it off, wont start now. could smell burning.

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 20:14

Man, It is a good thing you aint flying!
Hondas dont typically do that, cant help but wonder if something let go in the aio to cause it?

bc thunder
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 20:21

Yup either the batteries back feed, or the AIO.
I have no idea anymore

bc thunder
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 20:34

UPDATE:
Honda back up and running
Repeated the whole process again, and sure enough, the honda starts reving high, and I immediatly pulled the plug on the batts and AIO.
I'm running solely off the honda now.......

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 21:26

Make sure the oil is full.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Dec 2021 06:02

Was there any marks on the lead portion of the battery contacts like they where installed? Did they have protection caps on them with stainless nuts/washers in a bag?

Could it be that the inverter is horribly inefficient?

bc thunder
# Posted: 2 Dec 2021 07:11

I didn't see anythink suspicious, but wasn't really looking either. Nothing jumping out at me.
The last batch, at least, did not have the protecive caps or nuts. I think the first 8 did, but they are easy to remove/replace.
I dont think the inverter is inefficient, but is certainly once again under suspiction of something.......
I simply can not risk my honda, and so not sure I can use this system, unless soley under power of the sun.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.