Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / >>>---My new cabin build----->
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Anonymous
# Posted: 30 Jun 2011 20:38

The place looks awesome! Did you purchase plans for it or make them up yourself? What's the footprint?

marker2011
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 19:26

Hey turkeyhunter,

Hope you had a nice long weekend. I was wondering if you could show me some pictures of your roof framing. I'm about to start mine this weekend and I have a good idea of where I'm heading but Im sure if a few pointers from yourself It will allow things to go faster and smoother. My cabin is 16x20. For the rafters would 2x6's be to small. there span would only be 8' plus 1'6" over hang. Also when you placed the 2x4's pine what did you mean by PT? And how the ends work when the 2x4's reached the end, did you put a 2x10's at the ends or just allowed the 2x8's that you used match the height of the 2x4's? Pictures would be great on this. Thanks so much. Please check out my cabin aka canadian cabin on the blog.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 21:39 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: marker2011
Hope you had a nice long weekend

Thanks----bar-b-que ribs, and watermellon and fresh veggies from the garden for our 4th og July spread.

would 2x6's be to small. there span would only be 8' plus 1'6" over hang

i think you will be fine, but i bet the $$$ difference is not much and a lot more strudy with 2 x 8's

what did you mean by PT

the PT is short for pressure treated, the maker of my metal, said to use non- PT wood, the chemical in thr PT would discolor the paint on the metal in time.

on the ends of the rafters, i used a 2 x 6........

i will try to find ya some pic's

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Aug 2011 21:32 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

picked up my durovent and home depot had a sale on insulation , so picked up 18 roles of 6 1/4" inch thick for the ceiling( R19) and 6 rolls of 3 1/2 inch for the gables( R13). We got it up yesterday. Makes the camp a lot darker ----but a lot cooler inside.

cut the durovent in half long ways with a razor knife and stapled to the 2 x4"/s that the metal roof is attached to , and then installed insulation.

one of the gable ends

durovent

den area around the cedar beams

loft done....

behind the knee walls......

note: piece of cedar slab--log side drying next to knee wall.

we started at 6:30 am and was out done by 1:30pm before it got so HOT!!!!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Aug 2011 22:40

Bet you are glad to have that job done...it should help you keep cooler in the southern heat. Your loft reminds me of ours. Don't you love the 12/12 roof?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Aug 2011 23:30

Quoting: trollbridge
Don't you love the 12/12 roof?

oh yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 13 Aug 2011 08:16

tell me about durovent.... purpose, application, etc.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Aug 2011 12:35 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

here is the linc--- i went down to camp yesterday,and the temp was 84 inside the cabin @ 5pm, and the outside temp was over a 100 degs.

http://97.74.221.152/proddetail.php?prod=ADO-DV

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
tell me about durovent.... purpose, application, etc.

old buddy
# Posted: 29 Aug 2011 22:19

Looking good. Man I made bagged a pile of that OC Fiberglas when I used to work in their Santa Clara, CA factory. Everyone there called it "wool"...and I never did get used to "the itch". lol

beachman
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 09:26

Sounds a lot like our place in Eastern Canada - about the same size and rooms. I like the way you did the foundation blocks as we did the same and hope it works out - ground looks solid. We also did the metal roof and instead of running styrofoam vents between the trusses, we put in 1x2 strapping and nailed in wallboard to provide space for ventillation and to put in insulation tight to the wallboard. Good luck with the project - it looks great.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 14 Oct 2011 15:50

OK, I know you are of the retired set but, when are we going to see an update. Autumn is here in the south; it's time to come home and update us on the cabin.....

neb
# Posted: 16 Oct 2011 22:24 - Edited by: neb

Where are you man?

Montanan
# Posted: 17 Oct 2011 15:46

Hunting?!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Oct 2011 18:45

Quoting: Montanan
Hunting?!

hey i am missed!!!!!!
retired life is not as good as you think!!!!! you NEVER have a day off....

back from my Maine trip!!!!! it was awesome..........
did some hunting---got a doe during archery season!!!!!
had a friend from TN in last weekend and we camped out in the new camp!!!!!
used the old camp for outhouse ;-) shower etc!!!!

done a little more insulation----
plan on going to buy some wood for bedroom wall and putting up new tin for ceiling in master bedroom. So as temps cool off more work and pic's!!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Oct 2011 23:36

Quoting: turkeyhunter
putting up new tin for ceiling in master bedroom.

Awesome...I can't wait to see this! We were considering this too. What kind of tin?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Oct 2011 11:37

What kind of tin?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202322818/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&store Id=10051&catalogId=10053

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Oct 2011 13:13

Gonna look great!!!! Thanks!

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 20 Oct 2011 20:59

Well,
It's about time! Glad you're back. I'm anxious to see the tin ceiling. Happy hunting--closer to home and computer.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Oct 2011 21:19 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

thanks!!!!!
went shopping for cabin supplies TODAY!!!!!!!

1' x 6" T & G white pine boards, logs were from Maine, and milled in Mass. This will go up on the master bedroom walls.

stacked in in camp before dark this evening.....

also---got a ALDER ( type of wood) mission style door for the bedroom.....i really like the way this door is made.

naturelover66
# Posted: 20 Oct 2011 22:29

Hey turkeyhunter... Welcome home! Nice door.......can't wait to see more! Lisa

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 12:17

Love the door. Can't wait to see interior walls when done.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Oct 2011 22:28 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

got the walls done with the T&G knotty white pine-----it's a 12'x12' bedroom....and tin installed in ceiling---still have to trim my windows, and put a couple coats of poly on the walls, and install my ceiling fan.
The tin was a PIA to put up. Only one room in camp will get tin.
got my cot and oak dresser ( just had dresser refinished for camp--made in the 1950's) set up for hunting season....but i am looking for a log queen size bed for my bedroom.Looking for the right deal/price:-)

Just
# Posted: 27 Oct 2011 22:58

some of that ceder make a nice cot ,, welcome back turk . as my grand daughter would say "did you catch anything" papa ??

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 08:22

Your tin ceiling looks great but it is good to know it was a PIA to do! Thanks for sharing!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 22:00

Your tin ceiling looks great but it is good to know it was a PIA to do! Thanks for sharing!

thanks----the problem is overhead work.....and making sure all the screws are in a straigth line/spacing the same/yada yada :-)---and hitting ceiling joists----etc

next is finishing my underground power and get my water lines burried before freezing temps arive.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 07:34 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

well did some more work on the camp last week.............

started with digging my ditch for power and ditch from well to cabin......

hard digging around all the trees.......
ditch for elect
ditch for elect

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 07:52 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

also been working on enclosing the overhang.............

also bought 1 x 8 cypress boards last week for the facial board, will install them over the 2 x 6 this next week.......cypress is GREAT wood but $$$$
overhang with vent
overhang with vent
side view
side view

neb
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 11:35

turkeyhunter

Haven't heard from you for awhile. Looks very good and man there sure is a lot of work that goes into these dreams. Great job and I bet you are going to get after before the heat comes again.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 13:05

been hunting season ----
and i am always down at camp but NO work getting done!!!!!! :=)

my goal is to get my LOG siding on before Turkey season!!!!!

will hook up elect and get the get ditch covered by end of the week. and finishing up boxing the overhang--my goal for this week!!!!!;+)

neb
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 13:27

I hear you load and clear. I have spent a lot of time in the field this year also. I have left a few things on the back burner as well.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.