Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / >>>---My new cabin build----->
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 08:24

Quoting: Swamphunter
Maybe Im overlooking it, but I dont see where you mention what you are going t use for final siding?

Quoting: turkeyhunter
2 x 8 log siding --northern white pine,tree were cut in Maine---and sawn/milled down south---and the vertical hand hewn log corners

it was a couple of posts up from your post....log siding

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 15:25 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Bevis
Do it in every room... but that's just me

Lol!!!! too funny!!! Does it count if you've had to discreetly spoon under the covers cause the kids were there?????????? cause in that case we still need to Christen our main cabin!!!!!!!! lol!

Bevis
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 00:49

TB... LOL...Ummmm no, doesn't count.

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 11:26

I didn't think so either!!!!!!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 17:13

went down to camp today---decided to pick up flat rocks out of my food plot, and use natural stone off my place to build the hearth and rock wall behind the wood stove with it. Plus it get the rock out of my food plot. :-)
4 wheeler trailer with field stone
4 wheeler trailer with field stone
pile of field stone
pile of field stone
looking like spring is near!!!!!!
looking like spring is near!!!!!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 18:25

Beautiful flowers Turkeyhunter... I planted the same variety of daffodil at my cabin!

Skygoddess
# Posted: 7 Feb 2012 16:37

Love all your post, you cabin is off the hook, meaning beautiful, awesome work.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 7 Feb 2012 19:55

Quoting: Skygoddess
Love all your post, you cabin is off the hook, meaning beautiful, awesome work.

thank you very much!!!! ;-))

TomChum
# Posted: 7 Feb 2012 21:54

use natural stone off my place to build the hearth and rock wall behind the wood stove with it.

Look at that great material, and it's 'in-stock'! I'm jealous. I don't have any rock at all.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Feb 2012 22:05

Quoting: TomChum
Look at that great material, and it's 'in-stock'! I'm jealous. I don't have any rock at all.

thank you Sir---only one area on my place a food plot on a hill has rock!!!!

UPDATE:
change on plans on the cabin siding!!!!!
found a guy today-- who has 10 log trucks full of 4 to 5 month harvested HEMLOCK.....most of it was 60 years old, big trees--- he counted the growth rings today...
he is cuttng me 1" x 10" Hemlock boards and 2" batten for it....and it will be LESS than 1/3 the cost of log siding....
i was shocked---he got the wood from upsate NC....he said it will be beautiful boards---he has a wood-mizer/that is computorized and very accurate when sawing---should be through with my order next week!!!!!! cabin will be have siding soon!!!!! :-)

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 12:56

Sounds like the same buddy that gives you the old pallet timber. You are a lucky man! Old Buddy and I would like to do Adirondack siding but it's very limited around here and extremely expensive.
In any event...we're in no hurry.

Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 20:11 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: oldbuddy
Sounds like the same buddy that gives you the old pallet timber

old old Buddy----no different guy!!!
the guy that owns the sawmill ( 3 hours away) --sent me a email tonight that delivery on my hemlock B & B will be a day late on delivery!!!!! really want to start on Thursday not FRIDAY on installing it.
Did not make it down to camp today, still raining here since friday!!!!
Headed down in the morning to cabin--
BTW--i really like the adirondack siding it would look great on your cabin. Just don't see it much in the south.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 20:58

You rarely see it in the north either. It must be pretty much in the New York area....I'm guessing!

I'm planning on going up again tomorrow but I'll have to wait and see what the weather holds. I screwed up yesterday. I loaded the corn hopper full (200#) and THEN decided to move it about twenty feet by dragging two of the three legs. I know I should have done it when it was empty but I didn't think about moving it until it was full. Anyway, I put too much stress on the remaining leg and it buckled the metal leg and the hopper fell to the ground on its side. I finally got it off the ground and bent the leg back to where it was suppose to be and hopefully...it will hold for now. It really weakened it though. I'll have to get my cousin to weld it up permanent. Old Buddy reminded me when I told him about the mishap, that the last thing he told me before leaving home was, "Don't try to move that feeder when it's full! If you're going to move it make sure you do it when it's empty." It's always amusing when your children try to let you know how stup.. you can be. But...he was right.

I didn't see the big boy yesterday. Maybe tomorrow!

Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Feb 2012 07:55 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: oldbuddy
I put too much stress on the remaining leg and it buckled the metal leg and the hopper fell to the ground on its side. I finally got it off the ground and bent the leg back to where it was suppose to be and hopefully...it will hold for now

pic up a piece of top rail for chain linc fence at home depot or lowes or a fencing company--cut to fit at site with hacksaw. I just lowered one of my feeders, it was so hard to fill up unless on tailgate of my truck---so i took chain linc fence top rail and made me 3 new shorter legs---cheap too!!!
btw --headed to cabin in about a hour to do some work!!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 07:23 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am tired!!!!!!!

been down to camp working last 3 days----
thursday worked on my pole barn tractor shed---replaced old tin roof with metal roofing ( used) and also built a lean too 12' x12' cooking shed ( used metal roofing i had --it was new--i bought several years ago) to use as a outdoor cooking area, to keep the smoker and woodburner in shed just to have cookout etc in---also will install a sink and counter top in ---

Thusday night my hemlock wood ( 2 x 10's --from some trees w that ere over 60 years old) came in at 11: 10pm!!!...had to meet the guy --he had drove from North Carolina , we drove to camp and unloaded the wood--- i got home at 1:30 am Friday morning!!!!
Back at it about 8 am----rained , thunder and lighting!!!
Stayed wet and cold all day!!!! worked betweeen showers and sometimes in light rain --installing the board and batten!!!!
hemlock delivery!!!!!!!
hemlock delivery!!!!!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 07:33 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Sat--morning beautiful day---lots of sunshine/ blue skies and a light wind!!!! a liittle cool --but we finished the whole cabin with board and batten by dark thirty last night!!!!! what a long day!!!!!
work in progress
work in progress

sabiggs
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 08:29

Looks awesome. Great progress, so satisfying. It's beautiful.

Working in the rain is definitely not fun, but in just a few short weeks, you'll think back on those moments and a smile will come across your face. It makes it all the more satisfying.

1:30 AM for a wood delivery...wow, that's devotion. The things we do for our cabins, eh?

neb
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 08:39

Looks good need to geter done turkey season around the corner. I bet it feels good to have the outside done?

Just
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 09:18

CONGRATS

naturelover66
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 12:40

Looks very nice TH....... job well done !!!

hattie
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 12:44

Looks GREAT turkeyhunter. Congratulations!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 13:05

Hey TH...so you did get all done???? WOW...you were right on with your estimation for how long it was going to take...impressive
I thought you may have gotten thrown off by the rain you got Friday.Seems we always underestimate how long something will take

Hope you are taking the day to rest up and recover Enjoy the accomplishments of the weekend!!!

I am currently waiting for the paint to dry on a nightstand for the cabin. It got one coat of paint yesterday and now the top layer of paint I am crackling...first time I have done that technique and I have learned a few things for future projects too. I am overall happy with the results.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 21:43

thanks everyone---

a few more pic's
north view
north view
west side
west side
south side
south side

Bevis
# Posted: 26 Feb 2012 21:52

Looks good TH. good to see you have it sided now.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 10:23

Quoting: neb
bet it feels good to have the outside done?

it sure does---went down yesterday---8 days in a row!!!! and got rest of the hemlock i had left over--& stored in in the loft --till i finish the bathroom/ mud room wiring and plumbing and put the left over hemlock on the walls in those 2 rooms.
Taking a couple days off to rest up!!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 10:42

Taking a couple days off to rest up!!!!!

Enjoy your rest time Turkeyhunter!!!!

TomChum
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 11:09

Wow those are nice boards. I like board & batten, it has a classic look. Cabin looks great!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Mar 2012 18:35

Quoting: TomChum
Wow those are nice boards. I like board & batten, it has a classic look. Cabin looks great!

thanks---Board and Batten--has been used on hunting / fishing camps for many years, i am glad i went with it. Classic look is a what i was after....i like ole timey---the log siding i was going to use , we sometimes call it fake logs..( BTW real logs are my favorite) ..glad i went with the hemlock boards--- thanks again.

headed down to camp tomorrow and clean up all my scraps from the siding install.

Tim
# Posted: 1 Mar 2012 22:15

She's a beauty, Nice work!
Tim

ErinsMom
# Posted: 4 Mar 2012 17:31

TH,
Looks great.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.