Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Northern wisconsin cabin
<< 1 ... 18 . 19 . 20 . 21 . 22 . 23 . 24 . 25 . 26 . 27 . 28 ... 33 . 34 . >>
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 16:56

I haven't seen any lately. I've seen the pictures and they were taken past my bedtime. It hasn't started snow quite yet, 4pm, but there's a 100% chance. I just came in from another last sled ride. We really have not lost much snow in the woods away from Lake Superior. There's at least 2' with 6 to 8'' of new on top. I wish I could have had my older grandsons with today. Maybe next weekend.

Owen
another last ride, that's four now
another last ride, that's four now

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Apr 2013 18:06

Lol...at this rate you aren't going to have your last ride any time too soon!

Our snow has turned to freezing rain. Police and tow trucks have been out on interstate 94 all day-they bring the stranded motorist to Perkins, where my daughter works. She said it was busy with people being dropped off and waiting for rides. I did not go to the Twin Cities, but my husband and son went. Happily, they are home safe now.

Too bad you missed the Northern Lights also...but sleep is important! Lol. They talked about a seven hour period of time, but I wasn't about to stay up until 3AM!

Have a cozy evening at home, Owen.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 07:21

On my sled ride yesterday , I found this cabin.
no one is using it
no one is using it

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 08:34 - Edited by: trollbridge

Cool. Was it empty inside?

Do you ride a lot on logging roads or do you mainly stick to the groomed trails? Do you ever get a permit for Wisconsin?

Wow, I can't believe the amount of rain we got. It is like an ice rink out there! AMAZING though...the sun is actually out today!!!! It has been a very, very long time!! But hold on to your hat...quite blustery too!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 18:34

We don't ride trails much, boring. We go pretty much anywhere, exploring and playing. We bring food. Sometimes cook on a fire. I don't often go to WI to ride. Most winters we do go to MI for the huge snowfalls. I ride out west, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, British Columbia. But only one trip a year.

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 20:06

What I enjoy the most is the scenery-being off the beaten path, feeling like not another soul is around, and seeing the wildlife.

What I dislike? Helmet hair!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Apr 2013 07:16

I don't ride an ATV. strange right? Here's the thing, what I'm enjoying is looking. Like you said wildlife, backwoods, trees, etc. In the summer my legs will take me a lot more places than a ATV. In the winter my sled takes me where I can't get to with my legs anytime of year. In northern MN swamps, lakes and creeks are best explored by sled or snowshoes/ skis. I'm not sure why I don't get out on snowshoes, maybe a little slow to change the view. Or maybe it's more of a challenge with the sled.

Noelle is sure cute. Every time I visit your post, I think of her and my newest grandaughter since they were born about the same time.
I took a couple of the grandsons on a fifty mile trip this winter. The oldest 12, rode his own sled. The youngest three rode with me and needed a diaper change on the cold seat of the sled. That will help train him. We saw deer and wolf kills as well as beautiful country.

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Apr 2013 11:32

We haven't taken our ATV out for the simple reason that it is so dang dusty and dirty if you are riding second!!! We don't have a shower set up yet at the cabin, so I'm not interested in getting filthy! Besides, we are too busy working to get stuff done. I like to walk our trails, that's enough for now-I want to know our own land real well.

How is little Monroe doing? And your 3 year old grandson-I bet he will potty train this summer-he will discover the joys of going pee anywhere outside-I remember my 3 sons taking plenty of advantage of that

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Apr 2013 18:32 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Monroe is getting a lot of attention. Her mother keeps here close as she has had the two boys for a few years, she's really enjoying girl things. All nine of the grandkids are doing great. Sometimes we keep up to five here for a few days. I have three of those little snowmobiles and one about half size. They are here sometimes even when I'm at work. That explains why I'm missing a couple snow shovels right now. I have found them on the roof before. Maybe the bottom of the sliding hill. I'll find them in a few weeks. LOL! We all went through the woods and watched the sled dogs go by a few weeks ago. They keep asking to go to the cabin. We can only haul three, unless we take both car and truck.
lars sleeping
lars sleeping
Sofie hepls me steer
Sofie hepls me steer

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Apr 2013 11:46

Glad they are all doing great! I can tell how much you really enjoy having the kids around and being a grandpa. I can only imagine all of the wonderful experiences and memories the kids have. That is fantastic!

Next week 2 of my grandsons come back for babysitting while their parents work, so I will have my almost 4 year old granddaughter and her 15 month old brother and my 21 and 2 month old grandsons. Plus, of course, 4 month old Noelle. Should be busy days, but I am excited! Since Noelle was born, I have limited the days to two, that way I can still get other household things done and give Noelle and my other children all the attention they need.

I laughed when I read about your snow shovels going missing! They will show up soon!

Neat that you got to see the dog sledders go by with the kids. Do you have folks that train them by your place or was there a race? Those dogs are so sweet.

My son turns 16 today. I need to make a dirt cake...he's switching things up this year, he always has me make an ice cream cake. Gotta get my creative juices flowing on how I'm going to design this piece of earth! Lol...wish me luck!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 18 Apr 2013 07:41

???????????Really? I hope the dirt is really chocolate.

We're expecting another 6 to ten tonight. The Beargrease sled dog race goes right by here about 1/2 mile through the woods. It would be hard to get close anywhere that is plowed with all the spectators.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Apr 2013 08:30

The Beargrease must go through your woods at home, cause I know the race heads north. I thought you were talking about your cabin woods, which is south, that's why I thought perhaps a musher was training. You are fortunate to get a view!

Yep, more snow coming! Lol. It rained here last night again-nice to hear the rain on the roof. I wonder how dillio fared at the Twins game last night? Bet fans were wishing for the dome again!

The dirt cake is chocolate pudding really, with a chocolate cookie crust and crushed up cookies on top. I used chocolate covered donuts to mimic old tires and had gummy worms crawling out the holes and a tortoise crawling across rocks. My son laughed. He's like "you didn't have to decorate it!" But that is half the fun...

Are you still working at the hardware store?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 18 Apr 2013 18:30

Yeah, From home we watch the Beargrease. I live just outside the city on 7 1/2 ac. in a very rural area with lots of woods. I can't even see my neighbors to the north and south. There's thousands a acres of public land near us, all wooded.

Nice cake, it actually makes me hungry.

Well it's called a lawn and garden, but we only sell and repair tractors, mowers, snowblowers, etc. yes, I'm a mechanic there. They're starting to rely on me. I do need to build a couple buildings this spring. I'm not sure how to keep everyone happy. Long hours and seven days a week , I guess.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Apr 2013 20:44

Do you live by Hermantown or north of Duluth limits? Did you grow up in Duluth?

It is good you have a couple cabins to build, but I know what you mean about having to work 7 days a week to keep everybody happy. Kinda wears a person out! At work do you have a lot of lawn tractors and mowers coming in or are people dragging their tired and rebellious snow blowers in for repair?

Our rain has just turned over to snow. The rain all week melted most of our snow which is good for the deer...they were feasting on all my shrubbery. Now there is a very distinct line as high as they could reach on all my arborvitae. We were also seeing them always right along the interstate on the south facing hillside. Don't need the deer that close to the road.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 07:14

No I'm straight north of the center of downtown. Hermantown is actually west and a bit south of me by five miles or more. Because Duluth is a triangle and the Big Lake has a NE/SW shore line , not many understand the huge area where I live. The Woodland suburb is just three miles south of me and that's where I work.
!4'' of new snow on top of two other storms in a week. I can't get to work unless I take my sled. We are sold out of snowblowers ands we had hundreds. I've been repairing them constantly. We sell four brands, and do repairs for the box stores. Our town is for the most part, shut down today. It is supposed to warm up in a couple days, but tonight we will break a record low, 16 deg. then warming up to 40. Ain't that special?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 07:26 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I've lived here since forth grade.I was raised just down the road
1 1/2 miles. I was born on a farm with in 3 mile of my cabin land 75 miles south and a bit west of Duluth. That's a long time ago, You know I'm old right? This picture from this morning, is my patio. I'm supposed to be able to walk there.
pic. from the door
pic. from the door

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 10:15

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 10:44

Ha ha ha Owen...YOUR NOT OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know I've told you that before,right?!!! Lol. Really, now

You got 14" last night alone? Oh my, there must be a lot of cranky people who just crawled right back in bed this morning! We got 3 or 4 here, but it is really blowing around. I woke up and when I passed the window, it took my breath away it was so stunning. So white, and the way the snow sits on the pine branches, so enchanting! I stepped outside to snap a few picture and it is mighty cold feeling due to the wind. I sure wish I was snowed in at the cabin! Lol! Think this will be the last time I get to say that?! Lol.

Well, if you went to work by sled I hope you have a good day and if you stayed home to hunker in, then I hope you have an even better day!!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 13:16

Congratulations Owen! Duluth has officially broke the record for snowiest April on record! 41.7 inches, just in the past 19 days! Wow...impressive for sure! You are one inch away from becoming the 4th snowiest winter on record. The weatherman says two more systems are on the books for the next week! I really, really want to be at the cabin

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 16:38

Well it's nice out now. I suppose 40 deg. I just got in from a sled ride up the North Shore Trail. For a little while I was the first one on the new snow. It was great! I had a helmet cam. on but, the lens kept getting plastered my snow. I saw about ten other sleds out. Talked to several of them. All were having fun.
I can't ride tomorrow, as it's get the horses their food day.
Where's my hay
Where's my hay
Some other riders
Some other riders

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 18:01

Nice shot of your horse
I'm sure all the snow lovers had just as much fun out there as you!
Maybe by July you will be able to enjoy your patio. Hard to believe, but before long we will be swatting skeeters!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Apr 2013 20:48

Oh I should let you know, our son is sixteen years older than out youngest daughter. So we have a similar spread on children. She's 21 now.

Did the rain cut the snow down a lot? We got plowed out this afternoon.

Owen

BlaineHill
# Posted: 20 Apr 2013 09:05

I went combing back through the last 8 pages of this thread looking for an update on your pond project. Do you have any recent photos?

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Apr 2013 09:57

Hi BlaineHill!
How have you been? Have you been able to get to your cabin frequently? Hope so

Our pond did have some water in it, but then we had a really dry fall and it dried up. I'm hoping that it will fill this spring and summer. It does keep the rain from puddling around the back of the cabin, which was the reason we dug it in the first place-to provide drainage, but I would love it to hold water at least most of the year and better yet ALL year! I think the more that the bottom gets covered with leaves, it will help hold the water in. Right now it is covered in snow!

Are you thinking about digging yours this year?

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Apr 2013 10:15 - Edited by: trollbridge

Hi Owen. Did you get the hay? Happy horses

Does your 21 year old go to college? I can't remember. If so, where? We have a 21 year old too. She is number 6 in the line up. We have 2 in college-her and my daughter that turns 19 on Monday. Then my son who just turned 16, my 9 year old and Noelle. The rest THANKFULLY are self sufficient and have families and careers they enjoy. Our oldest son is turning 29 soon and then the triplets will be 28 in June. Our other son is 25.
Both sons are who I do daycare for. They each live just a couple miles from us. Our daughters live fairly close-within 45 minutes, with the exception of one who lives in Madison-about 3 1/2 hours away.

I'm headed to the art store for some matboard for a project I'm doing for the cabin-that big old window frame in the living room is finally going to get done. I am filling it with old logging photos. I hope they have what I need at the store, cause in my head I have the plan...hate to refigure it all out.

Might go to the antique store too

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Apr 2013 16:17

No, she does some kind of special needs care for children. She went with today to get hay. It was nice to spend time with her. She told me that , she wishes she'd listened to me about saving when she was living at home. LOL.
I said, I didn't listen to my parents either, but she is wising up faster than I did.
Are you making collage of logging history of the area? That history intrigues me.

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Apr 2013 21:12

The history intrigues me too. I am using photos and the window frame will be what does frame them all. I will be using barbed wire that was used at the cabin-we pulled a bunch from the fence line that was greatly deteriorated and also some burlap and twine for hanging some railroad rivets I found from the old logging days. The art store didn't open until noon, so I just had to go to the antique store instead-lol...make my trip to town worthwhile! Noelle apparently liked that store-she was jabbering away and drawing all kinds of attention to herself! We didn't buy anything, but saw some items that looked like they would fit right in at the cabin

Nice that your daughter went with you-got to appreciate those times you get to spend with the kids, especially nice when you get to hear how wise you are! Some do learn quicker than others!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Apr 2013 08:58

As I might have said before, I've been building for my whole life, starting some of my own businesses back in the seventies. I did cabin and shed construction first, but logged in the winter. I have always been interested in logging history, but as I spent my time in the woods, I saw things of the past. Old RR grades, piling thru swamps. I started seeing how they managed to get the huge white pines out. The how is so interesting when they didn't have skidders and chainsaws. They had steam, horses, rivers and lived in the woods for months. As we sit on the porch of our cabins, I think hard of the people who found themselves at the same spot throughout history.

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Apr 2013 11:34 - Edited by: trollbridge

It is really neat to imagine isn't it? It is mind boggling to me that trains ran thru our property way back when. It is fun to come across pieces of evidence! Martin Pattison did a lot of logging in our area-we are not far from Pattison State Park. Does Duluth have a logging museum?

The snow is coming down very heavy right now. How about you? I found out that we got 20 inches at the cabin during Fridays storm...I should be there!!! It is really bumming me out

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Apr 2013 13:13

We have a RR museum and there is a lot of logging related pictures. Did you know that there were some who made steerable locomotives with half tracks for logging? They were used to pull long trains of logs on large bob sleds on ice roads. Of course when those broke though a swamp, they stayed there. I guess some of them are in our swamp to this day. Later they used early bull dozers for the same use, And they too are laying at the bottom of some of our lakes.
Light flurries here, probably not going to amount to much, just gloomy. We don't need that. I plan on going to my cabin next weekend with four grandkids. The early morning stiffness of the snow cover will lead to interesting explorations. Afternoon melting will lead to a long coffee break on the south facing porch. I hope we see some interesting tracks. Maybe the '' Big cat''.

<< 1 ... 18 . 19 . 20 . 21 . 22 . 23 . 24 . 25 . 26 . 27 . 28 ... 33 . 34 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.