# Posted: 15 Sep 2015 07:32

Lovely reading this morning....... think I will skip breakfast

Gary O
# Posted: 15 Sep 2015 09:20

no pizza in the fridge, I take it....

NorthRick
# Posted: 15 Sep 2015 15:09

Quoting: Gary O
Note to self; find out exactly how big a 'barn fridge' is. Sounds like I should have one.

Seems like the important thing is to make sure there is shine in it!

Bevis
# Posted: 15 Sep 2015 21:58

Quoting: NorthRick
Seems like the important thing is to make sure there is shine in it!

Picked up some more today... Gary O Just a regular fridge that I have out in my barn/shop for beverages.

Gary O
# Posted: 15 Sep 2015 22:13 - Edited by: Gary O

Oh
guess I had a walk in fridge in mind
('barn fridge' means awesome size in my mind)

We've been ice chesting it all summer.
Just got a propane fridge.
I keep looking in it.
One milk, three eggs, margarine, cheese.

Still, it's good to check the fridge.
Missed that.
Those ice boxes tend to become rather high maintenance over the long haul, and turns cheese into some sorta slime glob after a few days.

Good slime glob though.

Don_P
# Posted: 15 Sep 2015 22:56

Ever since the 3am drill press to the throbbing black and blue thumbnail followed quickly by the ripped out thumbnail spinning on the drill press and stomping around down there till dawn incident, I realized it's not a bad idea to keep something medicinal in the barn for when an ignosecond rears it's head.

BTW those springs do fail occasionally on miter saws, just like with a radial arm saw, hands should never cross the blade path...

The only difference between medical super glue and dime store super glue is one says medical on the package.

NorthRick
# Posted: 16 Sep 2015 01:20

Quoting: Don_P
The only difference between medical super glue and dime store super glue is one says medical on the package.

Actually there's another, easy to see, difference - price.

Martian
# Posted: 16 Sep 2015 06:55

The lesson for all of us in this is that...the further away from help we go, the more safety conscience we must become.

Gary O
# Posted: 16 Sep 2015 07:26

Quoting: Don_P
hands should never cross the blade path...

And I know this.
And I know all things mechanical fail...even quicker if not maintained.
I've seen guys slide under cars with their creepers, relying solely on their jacks, or hang ten off the top rung of a ladder.

After the snit of incredulity wore off, I got really pissed at myself, then went about stopping the flow. 'This don't happen to me' my now fully awake brain said.

Yer right, Don_P and Martian, gonna stock up.

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 06:42

theres just no life like the off grid life.
last evening we were invited to a familys cabin for the celebration of them getting their wood stove connected up and starting the fire up.it was so fun.
kids,dogs,friends all in the cabin.all of us together having fun.
i promised the little girls i would teach them to sew.and i did.i bought them little sewing kits from the dollar store.
and brought the little boy some magazines cause they are home schoolers.
the family is precious.all involved in making potato soup.
the boy whose 11 was cooking up two pounds of bacon in the pot...and one girl had a chopper to slice the potatoes and the other girl was chopping the taters into smaller pieces.
it was really cute.
they made the best potato soup.we all gathered around the woodstove .Gary O chopped a big pile of kindling to get the fire going.
and we all ate with candles lit all around.funny talkings and chattings.
really homey time.
priceless.

abby
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 10:57

so wonderful you have great neighbors. now I want potato soup!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 18:35

That sounds so awesome, Cabi!

I hope I have good neighbors like that! Shoot, as a certified teacher, I could assist with homeschooling in exchange for some venison or elk meat now and then! I still miss teaching. Being around young people keeps you young!

Enjoy!!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 21:23

today we had like 13 people here plus us.15 in all.here all at the same time.it was fun.
some families came to pull the tin roofing off the old mobile home.the kids ...some were in with me.some where outside with gar.gar keeps them busy with helping him.
we had a fun time.
lovely families.

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 22:25 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: cabingal3
some were outside with gar.gar keeps them busy with helping him.we had a fun time.

Actually, the kids did good.

I had some staining to do on some 1" pine for trimming the windows.
Good thing I just bought a mess of brushes at the dollar store.

'OK, kiddies, who wants to paint?'

'Meeee, Meeee, Meee!'

So I lined up the boards on the saw horses and let 'em go to town.

'Whoa....whoa....WHOOOO-WHOA!!!!'

'OK, look, watch carefully.
Ya gotta hold the bush like this, all four fingers on the ferrule.....no, that's the heel.
This is the ferrule.
And thumb on the other side.
Anybody that holds it any other way has to clean up in the mineral spirits pan.'

'Can I clean up? Does it sting?'

'No, I wanna clean up. Does it sting?'

'Why does he get to clean up? I want to get stung.'

'Can I have my own pan?'

'OK OK, nobody 'gets' to clean up.'

'WAIT!'

'OK, you get to clean up.
And never ever ever ever dip yer entire brush in the paint again!'

'I want to see straight lines, no globs, and less paint on yourselves than the boards.'

'Why did you flick yer brush at her?!'

'She stuck her tongue out at me.'

'OK, little lady, wipe the paint off yer tongue best you can on this clean rag.
No, you won't die of paint poisoning.
I think we got it in time....manslaughter by errant hammer maybe, but not paint poisoning.'

'OK, miniature fiends, here's how you feather over the paint so it doesn't look like somebody blobbed the paint on with some sorta jack hammer sponge, then played swirly finger brush, like Anne here just did.'

'I want a jack hammer sponge!'

'Yer doing quite nicely young lady, nice lines.'

'You smell like olives.'

'Yer probably smelling the paint.'

'No. It's you.'

'Wonderful'...(pat pat)

'Hey....Hey....HEYYYYYY!
How, for the love of Mike, did you get paint on THAT?!'

'OK, everbody clean up.

Yer all done.

Yup.

Nice job.

Satan just texted me.

Wants y'all back now.'

Just
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 22:45

You got to love kids .Seem Gary fits right in .

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 23:10

They do have my number, Sir Just.
They surely do.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 00:52

Hahahaha....sounds like you two are having the time of your life!!! I love reading these stories! Keep 'em coming!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 10:32 - Edited by: Gary O

Y'know, the semi-little ones, the six to ten set, seem to all have each other's number.
And they are so openly opinionated, blurting out the darnedest things.
It's pretty much all I can do to keep up.

But

I smell like olives, so I got that goin' for me

leonk
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 11:12

Gary, I hope you hand is OK.
Just for others and the future (I hope you never cut yourself again).

<<What's the hospital gonna do? There's more weird germs there than anywhere.

Bandages? The bleeding stopped. Air is a good thing.
Ointment? There's already a scab forming.>>

I agree with you in general, but cut artery can kill one days later (with clot). It depends on the location of the cut.
Other than that - stop bleeding with pressure, wash with tap! water, can use soap.
If the cut is open it can be glued with super glue, just make sure to hold it tight together for 3 min. Add AB ointment (Bacitracin), bandage. Steristrips is excellent for holding the edges together instead of suturing. (Sutures are still the best sometimes ).

Gary O
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 12:27 - Edited by: Gary O

Good advice Leon. Sounds like you are in the medical profession. Clots are a concern. Thing is I bleed easy. Forever getting slit due to my thin Irish skin. So, if I took what would be considered normal precautions I wouldn't get much done or have a life. A reason I didn't follow my Dad into the boxing profession.
Most cautions in regard to bleeding I throw to the wind. Been that way all my life. Won't change now. Cabi has come to terms with that....sorta

abby
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 19:51

I'm in awe. we have 4 neighbors, but they are not close. one couple kind of is, but they are never home. it's like you are living rural, yet with this wonderful group of people. so nice! 15 people visiting! wow! I can't imagine in my neck of the woods!

Gary O
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 21:36

Quoting: abby
it's like you are living rural, yet with this wonderful group of people

Yeah, since '99, coming out here when we could (3-4 times a year), we saw maybe two people.
Then, a couple three years back, folks got serious about off grid living and whole families are putting down roots.
There's been a couple scalawags but they don't last long.
Quite the community. A couple folks with suburban type places, other folks that have been here for pushing 20 years, new families, old vets, hermits.....and us.

Now, since living here, folks are comin' outta the woodwork.
It's good to know who is who, and swap stuff, or just get rid of stuff.
I s'pose winter will tell another tale.........
We're ridin' one stimulating learning curve.
Summer has been a snap in most ways.
Hope the winter learning curve is as gracious, and not hell bent.

We'll figger it out.
Already got concerns and answers buzzing around our skulls in regard to water, wash, warmth.

Just
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 22:33

Here in southern Canada we say 10 4x4x8cords of hard wood per stove per winter . What's the guess there??
As far as winter and pump houses goes its a constant worry, I lived with it all my life . A 4 ft. pit is the best if you don't have much surface water, if you do then you need to add a sump pump.. As far as wash goes,, a wash tub in front of the wood stove is the way my wife was raised and she smells purity good to me.
It's that time of year when we must prepare I just bought a new snow blower hoping that helps with the old guy and shovel thing .
WE can always pull the plug and go south with Bob

Gary O
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 23:30 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Just
Here in southern Canada we say 10 4x4x8cords of hard wood per stove per winter . What's the guess there??

Some folks say 10 cord
Some say 4 is enough, and after seeing we just have 200 sf, they say 4 is more than enough.
We have a tight earth stove and a good damper.
Insulated the addition, and once it's finished we'll move furniture and insulate the bedroom.
I'm focused on 6 or more cord.

Just, you always post common sense replies, and mixed with a little humor to boot.

Always an absolute pleasure to read what you write, and a real pleasure when you grace this thread.

Keep a fire, old sod.

abby
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 10:46 - Edited by: abby

we're finally ready for winter with that last job being the chimney cleaning done. next stop....our behinds parked in our chairs. maybe some brandy....lol

abby
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 10:48 - Edited by: abby

URLtried to upload a photo.... wouldn't let me today.

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 11:03

its 27 here this morning.brr.its coming abby!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 19:26

Wow, 27 already!!! Well, the question in the back of my mind about whether I might camp on my land in a tent for a night or two next month has just been put to rest, haha.

We've gotten a reprieve down to the mid-80s for a day here in West Texas. I'd be delighted if the forecast didn't show all low 90s next week, sigh. Seven months of hot weather gets really old. Can't wait for my break -- and my move.

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 20:48

Julie2Oregon.all thru out the spring and summer we have had weather like this.
i had to cover my plants every nite so they could survive.
one time in spring it was like 18.another time 28 and then this last week i think our neighbors said they got 22 on their themometer.so its common here.
usually we have one month where there is suppose to be no chance of freeze.its from july31 to august 31.that was not so this year.
it may be different where u are at.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 21:12

cabingal3
Yes, it's a sight warmer in the summer where I'll be. In the height of summer, the nighttime temps are in the high 50s. There was a freeze warning and first frost about 10 days ago. I keep Bonanza saved on my phone's weather app and see what it's doing up there periodically.

Having grown up in Pennsylvania, lived/worked in New Hampshire for 9 years and now Texas for 20, I've dealt with all sorts of weather and climates! I can adapt to anything but I've grown to hate really long periods of high heat. As you said, we must make provisions for our growing things!!!

<< 1 ... 18 . 19 . 20 . 21 . 22 . 23 . 24 . 25 . 26 . 27 . 28 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.