Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Hello From Kansas
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Martian
# Posted: 15 Apr 2011 22:02

Galvalum. Its pretty reflective and unobtrusive.
Tom

Martian
# Posted: 19 Apr 2011 19:36

The roof is framed; ready for facia and tin. The tin is waiting for me at the hardware store in town, but the Hardiplank for the facia requires a trip to the lumberyard about 30mi away.

It'll be nice to have a roof!

Tom

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Apr 2011 20:43

looks great ===i am at the same stage with my new camp.........green metal on thursday.......picking it up tomorrow. It will be great to a have a roof over all the wood....$$$$

Martian
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 21:21

The roof is on and mostly screwed down. We had a little rain come thru just as I was finishing last night, and it drove me off the roof. A couple of beers after work with the guys kept me on the ground tonight. I'll finish up tomorrow.

The plateau is getting really green. This is two weeks after it was burned.

Tom

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 21:37

I have been watching in awe of your workmanship. Most impressed with the floor grid; seems the strongest of any I've seen.
You and turkeyhunter have both done so much with your projects is such a small amt of time.

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 21:43

Erins#1Mom.i sure do agree with u.very nice and wonderful workmanship and in a very timely fashion.

Martian
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 22:11

Thank you both.

The key is good help. My ex has been most helpful. Without her, I wouldn't be nearly this far along. Having a second pair of hands does more than just cut the time in half.

Tom

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Apr 2011 09:17

Quoting: Martian
The roof is on and mostly screwed down.

and you are in the dry too!!!!!! roof looks great. I know how it feels to get the roof on, now you can rest better and night when it rains...:-)

Martian
# Posted: 23 Apr 2011 19:50

You are absolutely right! In fact, we took today off from construction and cleaned up the 3+ acre yard, changed the oil in the Jeep, selected the cedar for the trim,............ all those things that get shoved to the side in the rush to get the roof on.

The siding, cedar (for the trim), and the soffet material all arrived on-sight this afternoon. Now its on to the next phase; getting ready for paint.

Tom

squirrel
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 20:50

love the cabin has been a pleasure watching your progress and looking at the pics wonderful work can't wasit to see the finsh project

neb
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 21:30

That is very nice.

Martian
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 07:24

Thanks for the feedback. I'm enjoying myself. Sometimes its a little difficult to drag out the power cords and tools to work on my cabin after spending the day working on other people's stuff, but the thought of being finished keeps me going. If sleep-aid companies were dependent on me for their support, they'd go bankrupt!

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 07:40

It can be so frustrating dealing with big box builder's supply stores! Two weeks ago, I ordered the windows and patio door. Yesterday I stopped in for some stuff and asked about them. Come to find out, they weren't even on order! Seems that since they weren't the style usually carried by the store and since they weren't tagged as a special order, the order was cancelled by the regional office as a mistake! Now I have another 2 1/2 weeks to wait!

I still need to finish the detail work on the roof.

Usually, I'd put the facia and drip edge on before the tin, but my indecision about using cedar or composite for trim put me in the position of wanting to get the tin on before I had the trim. Now I'm having to backtrack. Rain has made the worksite a little muddy; so climbing around on the roof and makeshift scaffolding is out. The ex, Caryn, had lightning strike close by, and it took out the TV antenna amplifier. Instead of working on the cabin, much of the day was spent getting her TV reception........can't miss "Dancing With the Stars"!!

But, I did manage to frame and deck the front porch.

Tom

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 12:46

looking good----nice pic of your pup.
on the big box store, my last lumber order, i bought from a local building supply, saved 435 .00 off a 1500.00 order,,,,,,same items from home depot.........the LVL beam was 3.29 a foot local price and over 8 bucks a foot from HD. I also had to swap some boards, at the local lumber yard twisted 2 x 8's i was using for rafters, the guy said no problem, just drive out back and get one of the guys to get you some "good ones"...at the big box store, i would have to have my reciept, get someone to look at the boards , i want to swap, get a store credit, amnger approval. yada yada.........amazing

Martian
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 13:05

Totally agree. If the windows hadn't been $300+ cheaper, I'd of bought local. But there are some things on which the local yard just can't compete; doors and windows fall into that catagory. The local guy got the siding order when he offered to deliver it free even though he was still a few bucks more. Good service should always be rewarded!

Tom

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 18:07 - Edited by: Gary O

Good service should always be rewarded!

For sure...it's what keeps the little guy open.

Great build, Tom.
Really enjoy watching your progess, and commentary.
Agonizing fun, ain't it?

Martian
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 19:54 - Edited by: Martian

Quoting: Gary O
Agonizing fun, ain't it?

I think you and my drill instructor back in USMC boot camp have a lot in common. He was always saying, "Pain is good! Extreme pain is extremely good!" Building a cabin and pain have a lot in common, too; They both feel so good when its done!:)

Seriously though, it is agonizing fun! I enjoyed the planning, and now that I'm seeing the picture come to life, I constantly have to tell myself to not get too anxious. There's just a certain number of manhours involved in building something. A bunch of people get it done quicker, but it usually cost more. Two, counting my great helper, working part-time take longer, but its much cheaper. Besides, without drawings, I'd be spending all my time supervising; no thank you. When I'm finished and sitting in my recliner listening to the wind howl some stormy night, I'll take comfort in knowing exactly how everything was done. That'll make all this agonizing fun worth it.

Tom

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 20:38

When I'm finished and sitting in my recliner listening to the wind howl some stormy night, I'll take comfort in knowing exactly how everything was done.

Geez Tom, you just posted the words of 90% of the cabin builders in this forum.
'Tis a journey...and a trek.
Might as well take yer time, 'cause yer gonna be lookin' at it for awhile....

Martian
# Posted: 29 Apr 2011 19:33

I'm getting a lesson in patience today. The wind is gusting up over 50mph, and I wanted to be putting up soffet. Not happening!

Tom

neb
# Posted: 29 Apr 2011 19:54

Martian

Did you use treated plywood for the floor decking? I will have my shack off the ground about the same distant as your's. I just dont want it to rot.

Martian
# Posted: 29 Apr 2011 22:10

No. I don't see the need. As long as the wood can breath and stays dry, it shouldn't rot. I'm going to skirt the bottom, but there will be ventilation to prevent condensation.

Tom

neb
# Posted: 29 Apr 2011 22:17 - Edited by: neb

I will do the same. I really don't see the need also and like you said it will be dry and good air venting and really no need for it. Thanks Do you know the differance in price for 3/4 treated to just plywood?

Martian
# Posted: 29 Apr 2011 22:52

No, I don't. The 3/4 T&G was $25/sheet, though.

I don't like working with treated wood and don't use it unless the application requires it.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 1 May 2011 19:08 - Edited by: Martian

I've had a fairly productive week. The roof, fascia, and soffet are finished.

When you've got a ladder, there's no need for a health club!

I used fiber/cement plank siding for soffet material and cedar for trim.

I still need to decide how I want the ridge cap to terminate. Decisions! Decisions!

The State song says, ' and the skies are not cloudy all day'. Sure 'nough. The sun came out just as I stepped be to admire everything.

And the plateau is really green with new grass. This week, the ranchers will bring in their cattle for the three month grazing period.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 13 May 2011 07:34

This weekend should be a very productive one; the patio door and windows finally arrived. The manager at the big box store that screwed up my first order bent over backwards to make up for the mix up. When I arrived with my trailer, he had me park up front, then he directed a gang of workers getting everything loaded, and he gave me a 20% discount! I was in-and-out in less than 20 minutes!

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 13 May 2011 14:56

Best laid plans.......and all that stuff.

Its been raining off and on all morning! Now the sheathing is wet and I can't cover it. Damn!

Tom

Gary O
# Posted: 13 May 2011 15:14

Now the sheathing is wet and I can't cover it. Damn!

And that's how you make ma nature smile.....tell her what you are going to do tomorrow.....
Looks like inside work is needed this week end.....
Mind yer mother, hear!

Keep yer powder dry

Gary O'

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 May 2011 19:06

big box store

looks good ----i went to the big box store this afternoon ( PIA ) :=) ---for more lumber, house wrap, etc........

Anonymous
# Posted: 14 May 2011 18:58

Great start.

Martian
# Posted: 14 May 2011 19:27 - Edited by: Martian

I'll post some pics tomorrow, since I left the camera at the cabin, but all the windows and door are trimmed except for the double on the West end. I'll get it tomorrow........hopefully.

What's with this weather!? The first part of the week, we hit 100* earlier than ever before, and for the last two days, its been in the 50's. The temp is exacerbated by the 30mph North winds and cloudy sky! Thursday the wood stove arrived; I almost hooked it up today instead of trimming windows.

Tom

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.