Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Hello From Kansas
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
neb
# Posted: 15 May 2011 21:23

You have done a ton of work. How long did it take to get that much done? It looks great.

Martian
# Posted: 15 May 2011 22:57 - Edited by: Martian

It was the middle of March when I laid out the foundation lines; so about 2 months. Progress has been a little slow of late since I been waiting on materials; things should pick up again soon. My help injured her shoulder while playing with some kids, but its getting better. All the trim is done; it'll be really helpful to have an extra set of hands to put up the siding.

This is where I stand as of tonight.

Every window and door was sealed

Then felt paper was put over that

A bead of silicone sealed the edge before the cedar went on

Then the flashing.

This is the Morso convection wood stove which will be the primary heat source

It came from Rocky Mountain Stoves. They were great to deal with.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 15 May 2011 23:03 - Edited by: Martian

This post is a repeat. I screwed up somehow when posting the above.

It was the middle of March when I laid out the foundation lines; so about 2 months. Progress has been a little slow of late since I been waiting on materials; things should pick up again soon. My help injured her shoulder while playing with some kids, but its getting better. All the trim is done; it'll be really helpful to have an extra set of hands to put up the siding.

This is where I stand as of tonight.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 16 May 2011 07:48

Martain---looks great---are you going to use house wrap on the other part of the house???

Martian
# Posted: 16 May 2011 08:15

No. I'll be using tar-paper; it breaths better and spans sheathing mismatches better, too. House wrap allows air to pass, but traps condensated water behind it. If, for instance, on a warm, humid morning the sheathing is cool enough for "dew" to form on the backside of the wrap, the water is trapped against the OSB.......not a good thing. Another consideration is that I can put up 3' runs as needed. The winds, up here, are brutal on house wrap, and I won't always be able to get siding on an entire wall in a day.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 20 May 2011 13:35

Its raining. We need it. I did get one side finished before getting rained out.

After looking at the gable vents available, I decided to use some of the scrap trim to build them.

The plank standing next to the vent is a piece of Sycamore salvaged from a 125yo barn we reroofed. That's what I'm using for the counter tops. These have been run through the planer a few times.

This is what it looks like finished with cooking oil.

Tom

neb
# Posted: 21 May 2011 15:44

Very nice and good progress.

Martian
# Posted: 22 May 2011 20:40

Three sides are now sided. The fourth is getting a mudroom/covered deck added to it. The power and water come into that end, too. I guess they'll be the next project, then I can frame up the addition.

Tom

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 May 2011 21:07

Martain----cabin is looking good----your hard work is paying off for sure.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 May 2011 22:05

Quoting: turkeyhunter
Martain----cabin is looking good----your hard work is paying off for sure

I'll 2nd that.
Lookin' sweet!
You and TH, and a couple others, have really got a jump on spring, let alone summer.

Martian
# Posted: 24 May 2011 18:53

Thanks, guys. My hope is to be in by Sept. This working for a living is really cutting into my leisure time! :)

Tom

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 24 May 2011 20:23

Martian,
I find your comment about house wrap interesting. You talked about it allowing moisture to consolidate behind it. That is the same thing HD told me about tar paper when I asked about using it instead of house wrap.

Martian
# Posted: 25 May 2011 00:02

Google "house wrap vs felt paper" or visit this site.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/BestPractices/Sheathing_Wrap.htm

Tom

hattie
# Posted: 25 May 2011 00:44

This is looking GREAT!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 May 2011 07:17

keep up the good work!!!!!!!................you should be in by sept--no problem.

Martian
# Posted: 25 May 2011 18:10 - Edited by: Martian

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

TH, In my 60 years of being on this Earth, one thing I've learned is that when someone says, "No problem"...... There's a problem! LOL.

Tom

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 May 2011 20:37

Quoting: Martian
"No problem"...... There's a problem! LOL.

hopefully not.....:-)........ good luck on the move in and housewarming party.............since it will be deer season............can i get a invite.LOL

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 25 May 2011 22:57

Martian,
Thanks for the inspectapedia link. I found several things there and have saved to my "favorites". Just found out that in my area you don't have to use a "wrap" of any kind! Nothing. That seems wrong to me.

Martian
# Posted: 26 May 2011 07:39

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
Just found out that in my area you don't have to use a "wrap" of any kind! Nothing. That seems wrong to me

I've been working on an old house (over 100 yo) that is cedar sided with *no* sheathing or wrap of any kind. Just goes to prove a friends adage, "Even a poorly built house will stand a long time!" Rather than remove the old siding to facilitate sheathing, the owner decided to seal the structure by spraying closed cell foam insulation directly to the cedar. Hopefully I'll still be around 20 years from now to see how well it works. What I've taken away from my experience is that you either have to keep the moisture out, or you have to allow air circulation so things can dry. To me, its best to keep the moisture out, but since moisture can enter in a variety of ways, the structure should also be able to "breath". Even though you may not be required to use a wrap, I would. But then, I'm a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy. :)

The key, when applying felt paper, is to remember that water has to be shed; so the upper paper must overlap the lower runs. Notice how everything is layered in this pic.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 29 May 2011 20:09

So far this weekend, I've managed to side the porch area,

And I put in the piers for the utility room and deck off the East end.

I think I'll take a day off tomorrow.

Tom

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 May 2011 22:12

Tom, enjoy your day off the cabin build----with a brew and a bar-b-que!
your cabin is looking GREAT!!!!

sourmashjack
# Posted: 30 May 2011 10:07

Looking very nice! Looks like a professional built it.

Martian
# Posted: 30 May 2011 21:38

Quoting: sourmashjack
Looks like a professional built it.

That's good to hear since I charge for my work. Thanks.

Tom

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 May 2011 22:30

That's good to hear since I charge for my work. Thanks.

now thats too funny............. :-)

Martian
# Posted: 31 May 2011 20:27

I'm glad I could bring a smile to your face. :)

Today was an unexpected day off from work. So, I went shopping and bought the cable and conduit for the electric, laid out the water line, and lined up a trencher for this Saterday.

It was such a pretty day. I took the bike out for some pics.....I'm thinking of a variation on the aqua color for the trim.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 4 Jun 2011 20:28

What a day!

Got up early and drove over and got the trencher I'd reserved. It took about 4hrs with the trencher and chainsaw (big roots!) to have a 3' deep trench from the well and power pole over to the cabin. I didn't actually go to the well; there's a drain line out the bottom of the well-pit that I planned to intersect to save the hassle of having to move some really big stones and hand-dig the last few feet. The drain was put in by a local company when I wasn't here and doesn't really drain. In fact, the guys put in a small leach field 6' below the top of the pit and 3 1/2 feet down figuring that would work, but it fills with water and floods the bottom 18" of the wellpit during wet weather. Anyway, I figured it'd be a great way to get from the trench to the plumbing, but I didn't know exactly where it ran. After trenching past the well all the way to the power pole and not seeing any sign of the pipe, I took the trencher back came home and began to probe with a metal rod, but the clay was too hard to penetrate very far; so I started digging where I thought it would be using jobbers. I kept moving back and forth deepening the trench to either side of my imaginary line. I dug for 2hrs before hitting plastic, but the water line is run. Hopefully, there will be water flowing out the line by this time tomorrow.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 06:46

Here are the pics from yesturday and today.

There was no way to avoid all the tree roots and the trencher would only cut the small ones, but I put an old bar and chain on the chainsaw and just cut through the dirt. The stones were more work; they had to be dug out.

This is where the water line enters the drain.

And it comes out in the well pit.

Notice the water stain on the pit walls. That's how deep it gets during wet weather. I ran out of hose clamps; so I couldn't finish, but there is water flowing up to the cabin.

Last week after work, I managed to get two sides and the porch caulked for painting.

I'm almost ready to start framing the utility room/covered deck.

Tom

Anonymous
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 19:39

A quick update on the progress. The power and water are up to the cabin and the ditch is filled.

Most of the framing is done for the utility room/covered deck.

Half the decking is down, and I want to frame up the roof this week.
Tom

Martian
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 19:43

Note to self: Make sure you're signed in before posting or you show up as Anonymous!

Tom

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 19:51

Anonymous!

so anonymous is helping ya work on your cabin!!!!!...LOL
looks great, you are still hard at it. I am going to be slowing down on mine now. Just too hot to work on it.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.