Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Hello From Kansas
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Gary O
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 21:38 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Martian
Note to self: Make sure you're signed in before posting or you show up as Anonymous!

Can't fool us.
Your place has yer name written all over it.
Nice try though.
Dang young bucks, showin' off, doin' it all...geez.
Thanks for the inspiration from your perspiration, Tom.
YOU ARE THE MAN

Gary O'

Martian
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 22:59

Quoting: Gary O
Dang young bucks

That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me since .....gosh.....maybe since a patrolman told me it was a warning ticket.:)

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 07:36 - Edited by: Martian

The Treehouse was tested last Friday night; we had a storm come thru with 90mph winds! I woke up to find this.

A look around the neighborhood revealed a lot of downed trees.

But there is a silver lining. I have more work to help pay for the cabin! This is one job that wasn't on the schedule.

I hope to get back to work on the cabin this weekend.

Tom

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 08:42

Tom, glad ya'll are ok after the high winds.....
and now you have pleanty of firewood.......

Martian
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 19:48 - Edited by: Martian

Actually, firewood I can get anytime, but getting good lumber trees is kinda rare. So far, I've got Red Elm, Black Walnut, and a line on two 2' X 25' aromatic cedar logs. Its always more fun to work with free wood.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 22:10

I made some progress on the utility room/covered deck this weekend.

The metal roofing is due this week.

Tom

neb
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 22:24

You have done a pile of work and it looks good. There is more work then most people think. I do know one thing that building will get a person in shape and in a hurry.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 07:01

made some progress on the utility room/covered deck this weekend

and your hard work looks GREAT............when the metal gets here you will be in the dry again.....when ya movin in????

Martian
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 07:30

Quoting: neb
I do know one thing that building will get a person in shape and in a hurry.

"That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger"

One expense I didn't consider when planning the cabin was all the ice cream I have to eat to keep from drying up and getting blown away! A 1/2 gallon of Breyer's Natural Vanilla Bean last just three days.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 07:33

Quoting: turkeyhunter
.....when ya movin in????

I'm still shooting for late September. I can hardly believe it is nearly July already! Once I get to the inside work, things will go pretty quick....he said optimistically.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 4 Jul 2011 21:17

Despite the heat and humidity, we made good progress this weekend. The extra day off for the 4th really helped.

The addition is coming along nicely. The roof is on as is most of the siding, too.

The porch is getting planked with native cedar, and the rails are native White Oak salvaged from some old feed bunkers.

I'm looking forward to many relaxing evenings sipping a cold beer on that porch.
Tom

neb
# Posted: 4 Jul 2011 21:51

Looking good and after all that work you have done I bet you are thinking of a cold one.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 07:21

Martain---you got a lot done with a extra day off. Looks great. Cool on the white oak reclamined wood. Now will the cedar on the porch be red cedar??? or western cedar???

Martian
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 13:17

Red Cedar. Its rough-sawn and dark right now, but I think I'll run it thru the planer.

Last week I built a couple of cedar doors for a paying project and really like the smell and feel of the wood. Besides, I want people to carve their initials into it when they visit so I can have a memory wall.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 8 Jul 2011 21:17

I finished up the siding today! The last piece.....

Can you tell I'm happy?

Then I finished the trim.

It felt good to sit down!

Tomorrow I start the wiring.

Tom

neb
# Posted: 8 Jul 2011 21:27

Looks good and I do know what you mean.

Martian
# Posted: 10 Jul 2011 19:00

After weeks of pushing pretty hard, I really wanted to take a day off. The heat conviced me today was the day. It was 99F at 11AM and 109F at 3PM. Its still 105F at 6PM. But none of that matters because I'm sitting in air-conditioning, having a beer, and watching golf on TV.

I love watching golf. It is the greatest sport for napping; its quiet, the courses are beautiful, and its easy to get caught up when I wake.

Tom

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Jul 2011 21:36

The heat conviced me today was the day. It was 99F at 11AM and 109F at 3PM. Its still 105F at 6PM.

boy you guys are catching a heat wave also. I talked ot a friend of mine who lives on the reservation in SD this afternnnn, He said it got to 98 deg there today.......unreal

Martain--i am taking a couple months off due to heat from working on my cabin. A break is nice.

Martian
# Posted: 17 Jul 2011 18:59

Well, its still HOT! The 7-day forecast has us above 100F every day for the next week.

I started the wiring this weekend. My first circuit was for the A/C! There's no ceiling; so it doesn't cool the place down, but I can stand in front of it for a cool breeze.

The cabin is divided into five areas and junction boxes distibute power in those areas. The A/C, fridge, and 110VAC waterheater have their own circuits.

Everything is fed from the distribution panel in the utility room.

The back porch is going to have a very rustic look with old tin ceiling and cedar planking.

I found out carpenter bees *do* eat native, aromatic red cedar. Several of the boards given to me by a friend have bee-holes in them. It'll be interesting to see how far they ate into the boards when I start milling them for the porch.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 26 Jul 2011 20:45

Between the heat and a sore back, not much has been accomplished.

I did manage to get the chimney installed before it became too hot in the attic.

Now I am set up to heat and cool the place.

To avoid working in a really hot, tight space, the chimney support was gauged for the sheetrock to fit under it.

Eventually, I'll be putting in a lawn and crushed rock walkways. Taking advantage of haying season and dry weather, I picked up a 1000# wheat straw bale, a load of topsoil, and one of crushed rock. The last two are sold by the ton; dryer is lighter.

When construction is finished, I'm ready to landscape.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 30 Jul 2011 21:25

My friend and work partner, Terry, came out to help me hang the ceiling sheetrock......He has a lift! Besides that, he's well over 6' and can screw the ceiling from the floor! Me? I'm running up and down a ladder.

In about three hours we had the ceiling hung.

Now the A/C can sorta keep up.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 8 Aug 2011 07:35

I made some good progress this weekend. About 2/3rds of the insulation and rock are done.

Saturday was a very long day of making sure everything was done that needed to be done before the walls are sealed and getting the materials needed to rock the walls. I took this pic on Sunday morning when I arrived.

Notice it is still dark!

I decided to insulate a section, and then rock it, just so I could see the progress.

The end of the day comes early on Sundays.......... gotta rest sometime. I made it around to the back door before calling it quits.

The remaining walls should go quicker since there are fewer windows and outlets to cut around. Hanging rock by yourself is a good workout. I'll be glad when its done!

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 15 Aug 2011 07:38

After a busy week, the interior is looking more and more finished. Most of the seams are taped

The bathroom is coming together.

Framing for the bathroom forms the kitchen area.

After a long week, its a real pleasure to sit down with a beer and spend some time contemplating the hills.

I hope to get the mudding finished and the walls primed this week. We'll see how it goes.

Tom

hattie
# Posted: 15 Aug 2011 13:28

Congratulations....It looks like you are making great progress!!!

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 15 Aug 2011 21:09

Your hard work is really paying off. It looks great.

Martian
# Posted: 16 Aug 2011 07:18

Thanks. I can use all the encouragement I can get!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 16 Aug 2011 07:38

Tom, your cabin is looking great!!!!!
lots of hard work for sure , sheetrock is heavier than most people think!!!i like your wood burner....

Martian
# Posted: 16 Aug 2011 13:24

Quoting: turkeyhunter
i like your wood burner

Hey, TH! Thanks.

Its a Morso purchased from Rocky Mountain Stoves. The best thing about it is that it is convection heat; therefore, it can be within 8" of the sides and 6" from the back.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 30 Aug 2011 07:48

Getting down to the detail work, now. Progress is a little slower at this stage. The past couple of weeks have been spent mudding and sanding the sheetrock.

I want smooth walls and ceiling to make them easier to clean and repaint.

I've also set the shower. The shower curtain rod, made from Hedge, is somewhat structural; it stabalizes the right wall.

BB likes to lay in it; keeps her out of the way, too.

I've also been milling the wood for the kitchen and bath countertops. The bath sink came from an old stone school house. The cabinet top is Hedge, also known as Bodark.

The kitchen counters are Sycamore. This wood is from the framing of a 125yo barn. I filled the nail holes with WEST Sytem epoxy.

It is 1 1/2" thick.

I had a sheet of smooth Hardy board left over from a job; so I put it up in the utility room instead of sheetrock. Now I don't have to worry about damaging sheetrock if I hang a wet jacket on a hook. The same material is going to be used for the backsplash in the kitchen.

It finishes like sheetrock, in case you're curious.

Tom

Montanan
# Posted: 30 Aug 2011 11:44

Wow- so much progress! Looking great!!

What are you going to use to seal/finish your kitchen counters? We'll also have wood counters (not as nice as your reclaimed sycamore, though!) We want something really durable.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.