Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / hey Grand Pa's what for supper????? :-)
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
turkeyhunter
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 09:07 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

remember the old Hee Haw TV show????/..hey GrandPa what's for supper????? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-a_SL0f8kQ
...use to enjoy that show when i was a youngster.
On another forum i got to....they have a thread kinda like this---- to to post your fine supper's you make, or a good sandwich or a good grillin or bar-b-que---or a good recipe----kinda be fun to see what people have for supper--- (or dinner for the Northern cabin builders..... :-) )
lots of people spread out all over on the small cabin forurm
would be fun to see what the local dish is ---so to speak
a good meal you cooked at home toinght......
your favorite you cook at camp or home.....
or just that dinner you are cooking at home tonight???
pot of beans?? crock pot full of stew??? or a rib roast that was your Grandmother's recipe.......
pic's are always nice,,,,,,,
let see how this goes!!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 09:42

Good idea Turkeyhunter...I want to know all your secrets...your meals always look and sound amazing!!!

Last night was homemade Chili with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese and corn chips over the top. Nothing better during our cold winters...clears the sinuses right up!

Martian
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 10:52

New Year's Lucky Black-eyed Pea Dip

2 cans blackeyed peas
1lb spicy bulk sausage (local)
2 garlic cloves
1 large onion
several jalapenos
1lb grated cheese

Saute onion, garlic, jalapenos, and sausage. Drain the grease. In the same pot, cook the blackeyed peas until they are mush. Add the cheese and season to taste. Serve with chips.

dstraate
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 11:06

Simple and fantastic.

Light fire. Put on cast-iron skillet.

Add beer (not too much, you still need some to drink)
Add brats
Add kraut

Go run the chainsaw for an hour and return to a toasty 180 sq ft. cabin that smells like Oktoberfest.

Serve on an onion hoagie. HEAVEN! and even a serving of veggies, sorta.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 12:30

My wife tends to cook pretty gourmet at our cabin for the most part. Practically the same as at home.

I do make a mean Moose Drool stew in the cast iron over the fire every year. Elk meat or buffalo, whichever strikes us, onions, potatoes, peppers, canned tomatoes, garlic, etc.
It started out as regular stew, but I would stealthily add a splash of my favorite brown ale, Big Sky's Moose Drool, to it when no one was looking.

We also make a Nightrider's Stew that I would be at a loss to remember half of what is in it. Story is that the cookie on wagon train would cook it all dat with whatever they had in camp, to feed the night riders that went out to tend the cattle on drives. Keeps you warm and full for hours.

Martian
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 12:49

Wakeslayer, I was wandering around in the Big Horn Mountains on my motorcycle, looking for a place to camp, when I came across a hunting lodge that sold Moose Drool. Never having had it, I bought a six-pack and stashed it on the bike for later. After finding a nice secluded spot with a little stream running by it, I popped open one. Great beer! I'm a pretty cheap drunk; so by the time I'd built a fire, fixed dinner, and finished off that six-pack, I slept like a log. Good thing no bears came around, or maybe they did, don't know.

Tom

wakeslayer
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 13:30

Martian,

Yep, nectar of the Gods if you ask me. A 6 pack is a pretty good run, really.
What kind of bike do you ride?

Martian
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 13:58

On that trip, a '93 BMW R100GSPD. Now I'm riding a '93 R100R modified for dual sport riding. The GS was pretty tall, and I'm pretty short. The R100R is several inches shorter.

I like older bikes that I can repair if necessary.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 17:06

some good recipes and meals posted so far---let's keep it going........

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 17:50 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

today is rainy and time for some small red beans and rice!!!!
soaked my small red beans overnight in chicken broth..

this morning poured them in the slow cooker
camerlaize poblano peppers and onions in small frying pan-----added them to the cooker as well..........
...added some Tony's seasoning ( http://shop.tonychachere.com/seasonings-c-8030.html ) ---and a piece of salt pork...aka fat back/////// the beans have cooked all day.......

added my ragin cajun smoked andouille sausage in the slow cooker a little while ago--- removed the salt pork----rice is in the rice cooker.....
should be supper time in about 30 to 45min.....
redbeans and fat back......
redbeans and fat back......
pepper & onion
pepper & onion
finished product
finished product

Martian
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 18:08

UUUUHHHHMMMM!

Justin Wilson(just kidding)
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 20:52

You sho' know how to cook red beans an' rice bro.
Laissez les bon temps roules !!!!

ErinsMom
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 20:59

As we have LSU playing Alabama tonight, after working all day, I fixed my husband (UT all the way) the following:
peel and eat shrimp, blackened fish, steak, cheese grits, green beans and salad. no bread ( we're on a diet)

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 21:02

Quoting: ErinsMom
peel and eat shrimp, blackened fish, steak, cheese grits, green beans and salad. no bread ( we're on a diet)

that sounds great!!!!!!! good and good for ya!!!!!!!!

ErinsMom
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 21:51

the cheese grits were the best! old time mill ground: 4 cups water, 1 cup grits brought to a gentle boil. Added big chunk of real butter, some salt and red pepper than fresh grated sharp cheddar to taste.
I cook a lot on the fly.... No recipe and this was one of those!
Of course, there are times it goes straight to trash but NOT TONIGHT!

ErinsMom
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 21:55

I have used tony chachere in past but K Paul's LA spices are my favorites. Every time I'm beein to New Orleans, I have made an effort to eat at K Paul's. Hasn't been able to get back since the Katrina.

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 21:15

Tonight was taco salads with seasoned beef, black beans, grape tomatoes, black olives, onions, taco chips crushed on top and cheddar cheese. I had ranch dressing but others had salsa or french dressing.

It is a cold, blustery and snowy night and I would have been just as happy to have another bowl of Chili but I think my family would have disowned me if we had it a 4th night in a row!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 21:52 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: trollbridge
another bowl of Chili but I think my family would have disowned me if we had it a 4th night in a row!

chilli tastes better the 3 rd day.....for sure...

tonight--was BREAKFAST for supper.....some kind of fine===

apple smoked cured thick sliced bacon== ( save the bacon dripping for your cornbread)
yard bird eggs.......'( aks-hen eggs)
cheese grits.......real good southern food!!!!!
cat heads,,,, ( Biscuits with real butter)

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 22:03

Quoting: turkeyhunter
cat heads,,,, ( Biscuits with real butter)

Why are they called cat heads?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 22:11

http://www.mtnlaurel.com/Recipes/old_fashioned_cat_head_biscuits.htm
Quoting: trollbridge
Why are they called cat heads?

because they are the size of a cats head...:-)

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 22:14

Oh...You southerners are odd :) 'course look who's talking huh?

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 01:34

Quoting: turkeyhunter
cheese grits.......real good southern food!!!!!

my fellow did not like grits and i am an ole southern gal.i made cheese grits and i think i changed his mind.yay!!
trollbridge,we arent odd we just know whats good.lol

trollbridge
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 07:42

Quoting: cabingal3
trollbridge,we arent odd we just know whats good.lol

I know!

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 17:25

I know this is a little off the subject matter but not totally. I have a co-worker who is reading a survival book and I was thumbing through it today. There was a section in there about wild game (and among other things eating bees, wasps and worms: ICK!) I came to the section where they talked about rabbits and there was a big warning about rabbit starvation. I love me some rabbit meat but was very surprised to see that it was virtually nutrient free for humans. There have been cases where people were eating a healthy portion of rabbits and literally died of malnutrition. One of the biggest things I like from wild game near my cabin is rabbit. Anyone else heard of this?

Martian
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 17:29 - Edited by: Martian

That's news to me.

A quick Google search reveals that it is a high protein food with 0 carbs. I guess if rabbit was all you ate, then it could be a problem.

Tom

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 17:48

I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Martian
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 19:01

That makes sense. Everything I read said it was a great source of protein, but like Mama always said, "Eat your vegetables!"

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 17:23

Hey Turkeyhunter,

In honor of you the other night we had a "BCB" a big country breakfast for dinner. I love this meal for dinner cause it is fast-just what we need on a night when kids have homework and everyone is busy. I was going to make those "cat heads" but my daughter came by with a pan of freshly baked caramel rolls so we had that instead.

sausage patties
scrambled eggs
hashbrowns...what we have in the north instead of grits :)
bananas
caramel rolls
and orange juice. Usually I make flap jacks with it but didn't that time.

and get this...my oldest son came to pick up his daughter last night and told me he wanted to cook dinner for me...w-h-a-t??????? Did I just die and go to heaven???????????????? I think he was secretly missing camp and wanted stew. I had a top round steak and all the other ingredients on hand so he cooked away and YUMMY it was delish. We had "cat heads" with that but since Mr. Troll jumped in to help him cook- the biscuits were out of a can! Still good 'cause I didn't have to lift a finger!

I'm sure you have something wonderful cooking on the stove or grill tonight. Enjoy!

Bevis
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 18:40

Earlier today Bear sausage, ribs on the grill. Baked beans and tater salad.

Tonight it;s Pork Chops, fresh picked squash w/ bacon, real mashed taters, and biscuits

Martian
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 18:44

And I'm having leftovers............Life just ain't fair!

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.