Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / hey Grand Pa's what for supper????? :-)
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 18:52 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Bevis
Earlier today Bear sausage

Now there's another one I've never had!
Quoting: Martian
And I'm having leftovers............Life just ain't fair!

I agree...leftovers can't compare to that!

Are you sure it wasn't beer sausage? That would sound like a Wisconsin meal :)

bhebby
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 21:42

Fellow hunters/outdoorsmen/women

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/rabbit-hare-squirrel-recipes/

thought I would share this website some interesting recipes. I made the Chilidron stew. Didnt see any rabbit or squirrels to eat so I made it with moose meat I got from a relative. It was delish! Enjoy

Martian
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 21:58

Got a serious case of the munchies; so I made some chocolate chip peanut butter cookies last night during the lousy football game.

I'd post the recipe, but I can't remember exactly what I put in.:)

hattie
# Posted: 16 Jan 2012 00:41 - Edited by: hattie

Here's a recipe for grouse or chicken:

Smothered Grouse or Chicken

2 grouse
½ cup flour with oregano sprinkled in
4 tbsp. butter, divided
¼ cup chopped celery
2 carrots, chopped
¼ cup chopped onions
½ cup chicken bouillon

Debone the grouse.

Preheat oven to 350 º F.

Put the flour and oregano in a bag. Shake the grouse pieces in the bag (one at a time) until coated.

Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a skillet. Sauté the celery, carrots and onion until tender. Place in a shallow baking pan.

Melt the remaining 2 tbsp. butter in the skillet. Add the floured meat pieces and brown.

Remove the browned meat to the baking pan. Add the boiling bouillon and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Great served with mashed potatoes.

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Jan 2012 20:06 - Edited by: trollbridge

ErinsMom...email me at trollbridge11AThotmaildotcom.

simon
# Posted: 16 Jan 2012 22:00

Well, not a Grandpa yet.. I say yet because my daughter is now older than we were when we had her..
But tonight was 8lbs of country ribs, in the pressure cooker with homemade BBQ sauce, and my world famous potato salad..
Bellies are full, and plenty of left overs for lunches and midnight snacks..

exsailor
# Posted: 17 Jan 2012 14:24

bhebby, that is a great link. Thanks much!

bhebby
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 21:21

no problem exsailor. Not trying to hijack the thread but has anyone ever had one of these?
http://www.cancooker.com/products.html
looks like it would be good for one pot meals and easy cleanup.

I think a recipe forum would be a good thing to have on here. Easy,hearty meals are important.thats my .02

nicalisa
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 22:21

Quoting: turkeyhunter

added my ragin cajun smoked andouille sausage in the slow cooker a little while ago--- removed the salt pork----rice is in the rice cooker.....
should be supper time in about 30 to 45min.....

Oh Turkeyhunter YUMMY!!!!

I lived in Nicaragua for 3 years in the peace corps and LOVED my three meals a day of rice and beans!

Of course after year one the termite season was yummy too as when roasted they taste like peanuts. (sorry to gross you out if you are reading this and thinking ewwwwww, but after 3 meals a day of rice and beds you would be surprised what is appealing:)

Bevis
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 23:19

Quoting: nicalisa
termite season was yummy too as when roasted they taste like peanuts.

those are good, drizzle a little chocolate on them too.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 20:50

smoked some yard birds today and a deer shoulder on the smoker--cooked some baked beans made some cole slaw---
chicken
chicken
deer meat
deer meat

neb
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 21:46

Man that looks good turkeyhunter. Is that chicken for the wife and the deer for you? My wife doesn't eat wild game.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 21:49

Quoting: neb
Man that looks good turkeyhunter. Is that chicken for the wife and the deer for you? My wife doesn't eat wild game.

neb--thanks---she like venision / wild boar/ wild turkey as well. we live off the land...LOL :-)

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 01:53

I used to try anything but now I'm vegan, so when I came across a book called "Quick-Fix Cooking with Roadkill" by Buck "Buck" Peterson, I couldn't pass it up. I'm a firm believer in waste not want not. I could eat it if it's dead by accident, but not dead on purpose. It's got some good looking and some strange recipes. Deep Ditch Pizza, Tasty Tid Bits From Under a Buck, Ground Groundhog. Funny thing though, since I bought the book I haven't seen one specimen. Has anyone heard of the Testicle Festival in Clinton Montana?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 08:29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s427-0fBpQ0
Quoting: perpetualsummer
Has anyone heard of the Testicle Festival in Clinton Montana?

yes i have------:-)

I used to try anything but now I'm vegan

me too--till the bacon or grillin iis done...:-)))))

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 10:57

Thanks for the video turkeyhunter. LMAO, and to think people are squeemish about eating bugs.

http://www.amazon.ca/Eat-Bug-Cookbook-David-Gordon/dp/0898159776/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?i e=UTF8&coliid=I3L4AZO7C6EG17&colid=10ZXD7I0W2SQA
and
http://edibug.wordpress.com/

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 11:09

to think people are squeemish about eating bugs.

dont care for eating bugs---not enough meat on them!!!!! :-)
but here down south i have ate a few gnats....but never on purpose!!!!! :-)

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 13:37

but here down south i have ate a few gnats....but never on purpose!!!!! :-)

There is a solution for that TH.......shut your mouth!!!!!!lol!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 13:39

Quoting: trollbridge
There is a solution for that TH.......shut your mouth!!!!!!lol!

bless your heart....... :-)

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 14:55

Thank you...now come here and cook me dinner would ya????
bless your heart....... :-)

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 15:15

Tofu burgers anyone? My treat!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 15:53

Tofu burgers anyone? My treat!!!

no thanks i am trying to quit!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 16:35

Come on, turkeyhunter my burgers are as good as my apple pie? Which is pretty darn good. Actually I make a pattie that tastes & has the texture of weiner schnitzel. If you came over for dinner and you didn't know I was vegan, you wouldn't know I was serving you a non-meat dish. That and my mushroom gravy.... I think I'm hungry. It is Sunday, and I've had my nap so...time to head to the kitchen.
I'm not trying to convert you, I love the taste, texture and the smell of cooked meat too.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 19:31 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

my burgers are as good as my apple pie? Which is pretty darn good. Actually I make a pattie that tastes & has the texture of weiner schnitzel. If you came over for dinner and you didn't know I was vegan, you wouldn't know I was serving you a non-meat dish. That and my mushroom gravy....

sounds great as a side dish!!!!!! :-)

i love animals !!!!! ( on the grill or in the cast iron skillet!!!!!) ...:-)))))

BTW--what times supper (aka dinner ).....:-)

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 20:46

You must have been napping, sups come and gone. Sorry.

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 21:03

I met a fellow from NC, he said "if you ask a Southerner for a recipe, the first time they'll act like they didn't hear ya, ask them again and they might get down right ornery."
I think in Canada we see it as a compliment to ask for a recipe.
Is that true about Southerners? You can offer a recipe, but heaven help the person who asks for one.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 21:08

You must have been napping

had a nice nap while it was raining this afternoon---it was nice.

that true about Southerners? You can offer a recipe, but heaven help the person who asks for one.

not true in my neck of the woods----ask and you shall recieve....:-)

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 21:14

Good to know for future reference.

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 07:48

"if you ask a Southerner for a recipe, the first time they'll act like they didn't hear ya, ask them again and they might get down right ornery

heck-southern people are the most friendly sharing people around.u go outside in yur yard to barbeque and they are coming over with a beer to shoot the breeze with u.U can have all the recipes u want from a southern.Look at Paula deen!look at the million of southern cookbooks!even Loretta lynn has a cookbook out.i am southern and u can have any recipe u wish from me.i have also been vegan and vegetarian,and sometimes i like to switch things up a bit and have some homemade gluten patties,or oatmeal patties and some cashew gravy.so yummy.

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 11:12

That guy from NC must have been pulling my leg then. In retrospect I think he made a lot of things up as he went along. I love traveling in the U.S.. Americans are the most hospitable people I've ever met. Like I've said before perhaps I was born in the wrong place at the wrong time. Well Malamute maybe one day we can hook up and cook some vegan food, give these meat eaters a taste, & then we can trade recipes ;)

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.