Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / hey Grand Pa's what for supper????? :-)
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
perpetualsummer
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 11:23

Sorry Cabingal3, must have had a blond moment. Well I used to be blond.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 13:24

Quoting: perpetualsummer
Well I used to be blond.

now a red head???????? :-)

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 15:50

Yep! I think they call it men-o-pause red. I swore I'd never be a box blonde but I was assured by a henna "expert" that I could go back to blond"ish" with red highlights. I think she was a little confused about the "ish"part. Henna is RED & it makes your hair RED. So there you have it.
Shouldn't this be in the "Off Topic" thread?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 15:58

Shouldn't this be in the "Off Topic" thread?

this is in "off topic"----just include what your cooking for supper and everything is fine....LOL

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 16:48

Right. But I think it's "off, off, topic"

I do have a question which is somewhat food related. What do you do with the hides of the animals you kill? Do you tan them? I've read that a deer has enough brains to tan its own hide. I'm really very interested in learning primitive skills. Books are helpful but picture this. Red head. Book in one hand. Roadkill racoon on ground. Now what?

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 16:56

Quoting: cabingal3
.i made cheese grits

Is this a recipe you'd like to share

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 17:07 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Is this a recipe you'd like to share

i take stone ground grits and fresh well water, and but those in a large pot on the stove, add salt and hand grind black pepper in the pot, when it comes to a boil, i put the lid on the pot, and let it simmer for 30 min or so... went they get THICK enough---add sharp ceddar cheese and stir---then serve---some kind of fine!!!!

and a side of thick sliced bacon is always nice to go with them...:-)
the pic of the bacon is being cooked on a farm harrow dic made into a fryer ---being cooked out in the barn----
bacon cooking in a harrow disc
bacon cooking in a harrow disc

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 20:49 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

cooked a "southern chicken pot pie" tonight--
took about 1 1/2 pounds of the left over smoked chicken from the weekend, added it to a sweet onion i had in the skillet frying in butter--added 3 cups of chicken broth,a pack of frozen mix veggies--corn, peas-carrots- some Tonys seasoning, a dash of heavyy cream, pinch of flour to thicken it up.And let it simmer for about 10 min.till it bubbled pretty good---- Poured it in 9 inch pyrex dish, put a store bought crust on top====cooked at 400 deg for 55 min---great meal on a rainy night!!!!!

ErinsMom
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 21:41

TH,
that pot pie, I could eat. But I have never been much of a fan. Tonight, it was cornbread, thick pork chops with some Tony Chachere'se (I was out of Paul Peudhomme"s) and a simple salad. As for the cheese grits, I like to add some cream for a little more richness.
I'm thinking, we may need a spot for just recipes?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 22:21

Quoting: ErinsMom

thanks--thats a GREAT idea!!!!!

cornbread, thick pork chops with some Tony Chachere'se (I was out of Paul Peudhomme"s) and a simple salad

fine supper there!!!!!!

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 22:29

I concur. Especially from the south ;)

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 22:33

Quoting: turkeyhunter
i take stone ground grits and fresh well water, and but those in a large pot on the stove, add salt and hand grind black pepper in the pot, when it comes to a boil, i put the lid on the pot, and let it simmer for 30 min or so... went they get THICK enough---add sharp ceddar cheese and stir---then serve---some kind of fine!!!!

I had to look up "stone ground grits" I was envisioning the "Stone Soup" story.

exsailor
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 16:12

Hey Turkey Hunter, one of my hobbies is living history. Part of that is camping in primitive encampments. A friend of mine had converted a harrow disk to an off the ground fire pit. I see it works pretty good for a griddle. Where might a person find a harrow blade?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 18:43 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: exsailor
Where might a person find a harrow blade?

Harrow disc----

any tractor supply---scrap metal place in a farm area----old farmer---any place that sells farm equiptment----you can buy a new one for 9 bucks or less--weld up the hold in the middle---weld a couple horse shoes on for handles/ they work GREAT!!!!!!==== hope this helps

Bevis
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 00:35

Think I'll be getting me a disc to cook off...makes a good field wok

exsailor
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 13:21 - Edited by: exsailor

perpetualsummer,
You are quite correct. Every critter has enough brains to tan their own hide, but you can use pork or any other brain to tan the hide. I do living history and brain tan is hard work, but turns out a hide that is flannel soft and slightly water resistant. It is very good for clothes. It is pretty tough material that makes comfortable shirts and pants. If you want more information send an email to exsailor9954 at yahoo dot com. Now in keeping with the theme of the thread, the mountain men in the Rocky Mountains during hard times, of scarce game would boil their moccasins or any other leather items they had tanned for a thin soup. I don't think I have ever been that hungry and don't want to be!

exsailor
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 13:24

Thanks Turkeyhunter, I will start looking around. For the price you mentioned I would buy a new one and save the search time. Weld on a couple of legs and leave the hole open for ash to drop out and air to get through.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 13:52

Weld on a couple of legs and leave the hole open for ash to drop out and air to get through.

need the hole welded up to hold the lard/greese etc.....

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 18:47

I do living history and brain tan is hard work

Thanks exsailor. So I've heard, hard, hot and sticky. I'll e-mail you.

Hey if you are an ex-SAILOR then maybe you know about christening a boat, therefore a cabin? It's in another thread.

/// ))) ||| \\\

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 18:59

So I've heard, hard, hot and sticky. I'll e-mail you.

OOOPPSS that sounded horrible, that's not how, what, I meant.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 19:50

oh well then perpetualsummer---- :-)

----today was pork chops ( from local butcher) lightly battered with self rising flour/ seasoned with Tony's & fresh ground black pepper--- fried in a cast iron skillet, a side of pasta & cheese & spring peas...a sliced fresh sweet onion---.and a loaf of local hard crust french bread-- 'just a good ole county supper" :-))))

ErinsMom
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 19:54

Grilled boneless pork chops, baked beans, mac and cheese but for me: mac, tomato and onions sauteed in butter.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 20:00

Grilled boneless pork chops, baked beans, mac and cheese but for me: mac, tomato and onions sauteed in butter.

that sounds GREAT as well---- i like getting ideas of what to cook---thanks

cabingal3
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 08:11

What do you do with the hides of the animals you kill? Do you tan them?

dear perpetualsummer-i wish to make some clothing items for me and the mister.i am after squirrels and then i can cook them and eat them,and then tan there hides and get enough up to make the mister a hat and me a hat.
i have heard of using ole urine to tan hides with.and brains.
on cheese grits. i just made a pot of grits and add a tad of butter and grated cheddar cheese and so good.its the cheesiest!
Mostly been having chicken noodle soup and juice for dinner as the mister is sick with a bad cold.for me to ward off a cold thats starting i put hot sauce and lots of garlic in the chicken noodle soup.

Bevis
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 11:59

Quoting: perpetualsummerSo I've heard, hard, hot and sticky. I'll e-mail you.OOOPPSS that sounded horrible, that's not how, what, I meant.

Sure It's Not...LOL

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 12:44

Quoting: Bevis
Sure It's Not...LOL

Truly, Bevis. I'm as pure as the driven snow...lots of snow in Canada. Since I'm a such a visual person I was imaging a woman, say in Texas where it's hotter than hell, slaving over a bloody hide, sweating, because it is hard work, crying because its her lot in life, and who in heck would want to be doing that, or any kind of hard labour in Texas @100+* temps. I wrote the short version of my vision.

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 12:57

I'm as pure as the driven snow

It can snow pretty dirty sometimes...catches the dirt right out of the air and brings it to the ground!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 16:35

ok----now!!!!!!!!!!
breakfast for supper tonight!!!!!!
deer sausage cooked in cast iron skillet---
cheese grits--( and i am adding heavy cream as erin1mom suggested)
cat heads and some yard bird brown eggs.....
just got in from camp----so quick meal tonight!!!!!

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 28 Jan 2012 14:46

Quoting: trollbridge
It can snow pretty dirty sometimes...catches the dirt right out of the air and brings it to the ground!!!

My apologies to you and all members if you feel I was inappropriate.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 28 Jan 2012 18:14

Fried chicken, creasy greens and mexican cornbread

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.