Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / hey Grand Pa's what for supper????? :-)
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Martian
# Posted: 28 Jan 2012 19:18

Garlic chicken thighs, rice with light gravy, spinach, and a glass of cold milk.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Jan 2012 19:52

Quoting: Martian
Garlic chicken thighs, rice with light gravy, spinach, and a glass of cold milk.

sounds great!!!!!! except for a glass of sweet tea!!!!! :-)

Quoting: ErinsMom
Fried chicken, creasy greens and mexican cornbread

fine meal---luv me some greasy greens!!!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Jan 2012 23:46

Quoting: perpetualsummer
My apologies to you and all members if you feel I was inappropriate.

No need to apologize to me! LOL!

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 00:13

Chicken Chimichanga with spanish rice and refried beans=======

got to go out to dinner tonight with a good friend of ours and get caught up with each other. He made us a custom black bear sculpture out of metal to mount on our log center post in our cabin. It is so cool!

Bevis
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 15:57

Quoting: perpetualsummer
Truly, Bevis. ...I was imaging a woman,
... I wrote the short version of my vision.

LMAO...I was just ribbing you, no need for an apology, least of all to me.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 19:14

cornish hens tonight, early peas, rice---and french bread---
back to cooking COUNTRY tomorrow!!!!!! :-)))))

neb
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 19:32

turkeyhunter

You would make a good wife for someone. That meal you eating tonight sounds like a good one. Not much for cooking but love to eat also. I think I would starve to death if I didn't have a wife. I just don't like to cook but admire you guys that do. It is a great thing and know many guys that do most of it.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 21:19

Quoting: neb
You would make a good wife for someone.

i yell my wife this all the time >>>LOL---

tell her not to to cuss the cook with your mouth full!!!!! :-)

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 21:29

SEE Turkeyhunter...I'm not the only one to tell you that!!!!

Neb...he also cleans the house and does laundry!!! I would say his wife is a very lucky gal!!

neb
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 22:11

I'm sorry I didn't read all posts but you have been told that before so it must be true. I do scrub the floors and do some cleaning also. Cooking not good at and don't care to do it. I'm not saying that I shouldn't but not for me and will do other things to help around the house.

trollbridge

I don't think turkeyhunter has anything better to do lol.

AlabamaDan
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 22:22

Hew Haw. Used to watch that every weekend. Thanks for the memories.

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 22:45

I don't think turkeyhunter has anything better to do lol

Yeah Neb...maybe that's it...what do you think TH???

Not everybody is cut out to cook...heck there are days where I think I better just get out of the kitchen pronto before I either burn the place down or make more dog food LOL, or cause any large dental bills or make such a huge mess the house will be condemned! LOL!

Bevis
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 23:05

my wifes homemade choco chip cookies and fresh OJ LOL

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Jan 2012 23:10

Bevis...that is NOT dinner!!!! Yummy sounding, but not a meal!!! LOL!!!

and shouldn't you be drinking MILK with those cookies??????

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 01:03

my mister cooks.it is very funny and endearing.he makes things burnt on purpose.he likes charred items.he will make eggs,toast and hasbrowns.all burnt.or pancakes...thats his favorite burnt item.
i will say this though-he makes a mean tomato sand.it is to die for.u put bread in toaster,once out,add butter and mayonnaise then thin sliced tomatoes and salt them.then he slices it in triangles.sooo good.
and no..hee hee.he did not learn to like burnt from my cooking.
i like to bake alot.last week i made pecan pies and blackberry pies.the blackberries were from me and the mister going out to pick them in the wild.they are so big and yummy.

Martian
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 07:58

Quoting: cabingal3
.he makes things burnt on purpose.he likes charred items.he will make eggs,toast and hasbrowns.all burnt.or pancakes...thats his favorite burnt item.

Carbon is one of the building blocks of life.:)

Martian
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 08:10

As a single man, learning to cook was/is essential. And as a single man living on a sailboat, I became an expert on 'one-pot' meals. It saved fuel, human energy, and wash water. Even though my cabin has a much larger kitchen than my boat did, I still cook in one skillet.

Last night's meal: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, egg noodles with butter sauce, and mixed veggies seasoned with garlic, onion, and Tony's

neb
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 08:30

Martian

Sound good I'll be over for din din.

Martian
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 08:45

Sound good I'll be over for din din.

Good! Don't forget your cleaning supplies. While I am a good cook, I hate cleaning house.

Tom

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 10:51

Quoting: Martian
Carbon is one of the building blocks of life.:)

u are right.lol

exsailor
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 12:02 - Edited by: exsailor

cabingal3, Squirrels are good eating, but the hides are a bit small to use in making clothes, especially for all the work involved in tanning. For instance a shirt will take at least three deer hides to make a shirt. That would translate to a lot of squirrels! They would make decent small bags and maybe moccasins. The only use of urine I have heard of is to set traditional dyes, but that is in woven fabrics. Then again I am smart enough to know there is much more to learn about such things than I do know.
Now to get back to the squirrels and having them for supper as the main course. Once you manage to skin them out, I soak them over night in salt water to pull out any blood in the meat. I do that for all small game and it never leaves a salty flavor to the meat. I have never tried it with deer or larger critters. A single grey squirrel fits nicely into a modified plastic quart milk container. I like to cut the legs of and cut the body into two pieces. The rib cage is practically worthless in the amount of meat it has, but there is some on it. Then I shake most of the water of the pieces and drop them in a plastic bag with flour, salt, pepper, sage, a dash of cumin and smoked paprika. The only good skillet to use is a cast iron skillet, with a tight lid. Heat your oil and brown the squirrel on both sides. Then turn down the heat and cover the skillet. Cook at the lower temperature for about 30 minutes. This steams the meat to a degree and tenderizes it, although cooking at a reduced temperature in liquids is also called braising. Once the squirrel is "tender", turn up the heat and crisp up the cracklings, flour water covering. Keep the squirrel warm; make the milk gravy with the pan drippings. Use just a bit more pepper than you think you should and serve it all up with mashed potatoes, green beans and either hot catheads or soda biscuits. That is good ole southern eaten at its best! If your cooking grey squirrels count on one for each person but two is better. Two fox squirrels are plenty for two people. I grew up in Indiana hunting fox squirrels and prefer them. Here in Virginia am stuck with hunting and eating the smaller grey squirrels.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 17:48

exsailor,
there is nothing like the taste of good squirrel gravy.

tonight for me and husband, chicken and dumplins. i like mine rolled out thin not dropped in with spoon.

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 Jan 2012 19:10

dear exsailor.dont want to make clothes with squirrels but hats and small things...i thank u though for all the good info.they are good eating for sure.love them.chicken of the tree.the reason i said urine is i was at a knitting group n some in the know gals said urine but i said brains.so i have to look into this more.i have seen brains used alot.so that is wht i plan on.thanks for your cooking directions.i cannt wait to get me some squirrels and hubby cannt wait cause he wants to see me eat some but mostly he wants a hat.hee hee.exsailor your cooking sounds pretty dog gone good.thanks alot.

Buggy
# Posted: 2 Feb 2012 00:50

I love to take some pork country ribs, brown both sides on the BBQ, and the throw them into the Dutch oven. Add a sliced onion, a bottle of Sierra Nevada Porter Beer, and some BBQ sauce. Let it simmer for 11/2 hours and you have pure deliciousness!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Feb 2012 22:14

well--------
had take out tonight...:-)
had take out tonight...:-)

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 00:11

It's all good TH...everybody needs a break from the kitchen every now and then!!!!! Like the cartoon :-)

hattie
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 23:21

Groundhog stew by the predictions made the other day about spring...

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 08:30

Quoting: hattie
Groundhog stew by the predictions made the other day about spring...

HAHA!!!! good one----he much have saw his shadow down here, it's been in the 70's here and all the flowers are blooming-----mighty early----- about 6 weeks too soon.

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Feb 2012 07:39

gluten strips soaked in teriyaki sauce over rice.carrots and juice.that was last nite.tonite me and the mister r having chef salad.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Feb 2012 08:16 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

venison chilie was Sunday supper....... so good on a cold night!!!!

tonight in Honor of V-day :-)

GRILLED ribeyes over a hot gray coals...
twice baked taters........
fresh local baked bread...
fresh garden salad with ranch dressing..... ( and spinish out of my garden to the mix)..........
heck i might light a candle or a oil lamp....:-)))))) and open a bottle of blackberry wine!!!!!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.