Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Easy and Cheap Log Cabin
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . >>
armstrong001
# Posted: 3 May 2022 19:13

Very interesting construction method. I will be looking more at this option as I think about my cabin design.

Sasker1
# Posted: 6 May 2022 09:52 - Edited by: Sasker1

love this method.

Brikar
# Posted: 6 May 2022 22:23

Stoney
Hi new to site Stoney and members please weigh in on my idea really like Stoney building method what does every think about closing in timber frame cabin using this method, not crazy about how nailing pattern would look i am thinking high quality glue only and fasten to 8 x 8 timber frame using through bolts or timber lock screws to keep wall secure and plumb. I have excess to lots of cedar and pine boards 3 to 4 feet, i know this method uses longer boards but i can get shorter for free as much as i need. like to hear Stoney and the memberships thougjts on my ideas or advise please

Aminagu
# Posted: 8 Jun 2022 17:39

Hi,

We're very interested in buildding such a Lumber Log Structure house here our our farm in Kentucky.
I saw this post was more than 10 years ago.
Where can I get the booklet you mentioned that was for sale a whlie ago on ebay? It would be great to get more detailed instructions and photos, especially plans if you have.

Thank you very much!

JerryM
# Posted: 25 Jun 2022 12:32

Stoney,

Super great idea! I just saw this today and looked for your book on eBay and didn't find it either! Please provide a link. I would also suggest as others have and create an ebook and sell in on Amazon.com. If it was on Amazon.com i could purchase it in about 30 seconds.

I could and would be happy to proofread your book until it was worth of selling on Amazon. I plan to build 3 smaller tiny houses by code using this method if approve. I think if you hammer most building and zoning boards they should give in sooner or later. I think your idea is stellar! I would add a 2x4" or 2x6" wall with insulation and then drywall it. Drywall is a good fire retardant and help get this approved by your building and zoning board. Plus a good roof system and metal roofing. Add good windows and doors and you should be able to met code requirements. For your electrical as you suggest putting conduit or run it in your tongue and groove. May require some custom interior routing. Find out the height requirement by code. You can always use interior walls made of your logs.

JerryM
# Posted: 25 Jun 2022 13:07 - Edited by: JerryM

Stoney and everyone,

The one good thing about using this methods it great structure for great wind resistance. However, I was looking at some sheds, tiny houses and log homes this past week. Blue Ridge Log Cabins use a 6" x 8" tall D log in most of their products. We have another log company here in Columbia SC area call Southland Log Homes. They too have log cabin kits that I was thinking to use. But these "Stoney DYI logs will work better for me and one helper. Blue Ridge Log Cabins are for folks with money and maybe not at age to build their own. This are Modular Log Cabins. Most SC County building and zoning departments will require stamped lumber so this will work better for me than rough-cut lumber. Cost in 2022 will be much higher price.

One last thing, consult an Licensed Engineer! When talking with Blue Ridge Log Cabin's this week I had ask them if i could put one of their log cabins on a slab and they said for about a 1000 to 1400 sqft log cabin you need a 3 or 4 foot foundation to hold the logs. your logs here are 6x8" where the log cabin logs I asking about are same 6x8" d logs. The foundation cost was about 65 to 70k dollars. So my friends this is going to need some concrete and steel rebar.

JerryM
# Posted: 25 Jun 2022 15:52

Rudland, Hi. I'm from central michigan and have family in the UP.

Have you ever built anything using this Stoney Log Structure method? I'd love to see it next time i'm in the UP. I have family near the pine river just north of the bridge about 12-15 miles.

Jerry

JerryM
# Posted: 25 Jun 2022 19:07

Quoting: Champ7ac
Stoney- You had mentioned before that in an earlier post, that you did not recommend using rough cut lumber.
Any suggestions on fastening, gluing, or alternatives that could be used, that would allow the use of rough cut?
I have access to rough cut lumber, and it would certainly help with keeping my costs down.

Champ7ac,
I was just at a rough cut sawmill on Monday this week and it was a good bandsaw for more commercial use. I saw a lot of jumping up and down and the 1" and 2" thick boards were not even enough for this purpose. You would have to have very good sawmill and then planing it down to under your 2" thickness on both sides or maybe all sides.

JerryM
# Posted: 25 Jun 2022 19:30 - Edited by: JerryM

Everyone,

For all of the concern for water damage on the exterior logs just remember you have to stain, seal and protect the wood! That should be a given. Also, you need large overhangs on the ends of the cabins and gutters on the eves! These as well as a good drip edge on the roof are needed in most areas and i'd say all areas. You will need an engineers advice and certification for roof design for snow and high winds. All building and zoning departments in SC require all wood to be stamped and no rough-cut lumber is stamped. I'm looking at what it take to get my building and zoning department to approve of rough-cut lumber for build family dwellings. Normally the wood needs to be cut to spec and dried to have less than 10% to 15% moisture to get it approved for use in a residential building. And then you still have to have a licensed engineer to approve and that cost money.

Brikar
# Posted: 23 Jan 2023 09:25

JerryM
Is Stoney booklet still available

Stoney
# Posted: 3 Feb 2023 07:05

My booklet is still available at braker1@bellsouth.net

planzman
# Posted: 12 Feb 2023 17:26

I think this guy is using stoney method,
Here is one of a series he did on each phase.

https://youtu.be/Xxxw0mC60A4

Cheers

Stoney
# Posted: 13 Feb 2023 03:49

You are right. I spoke with him and he confirmed that he got the information from my design.

Thanks

planzman
# Posted: 19 Feb 2023 11:23

New video posted to youtube this AM.

https://youtu.be/wbQNNdKqE7k

Raynier
# Posted: 20 Feb 2023 08:36

Hello Stoney and everyone,

I am new here and a first time builder but I really fell in love with the 2x8 building method I saw on YouTube.

I would really like to get the building method booklet for this type of construction if the offer is still available. You really come up with something awesome. I also welcome any other suggestions anyone else my have.

I really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Oktf1black
# Posted: 20 Feb 2023 16:37

Stoney
Stoney
I am going to build 12x24 weekend cabin using your method of 2x8 laminate logs. Is your how-to booklet still available, and how can I get one?

Thank you
Robert Black

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 07:47

Quoting: planzman
I think this guy is using stoney method,
Here is one of a series he did on each phase.

I see that he's updated the video description giving Stoney credit for the technique. However, during the video he makes no mention of him, which is disappointing.

Stoney
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 12:20

He did give me credit near the end of the 14th episode.

That episode is called something like "Additions and a better way to do corners".

I really do appreciate him for spreading the word about this technique.

VerdiPascoli
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 14:21

Just saw the YouTube video. Really good idea! Is the booklet still available?

Stoney
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 14:29

The booklet is still available at

braker1@bellsouth.net

VerdiPascoli
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 15:10

Why are you restricting The Off Grid Experience from posting on this board?

Stoney
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 15:13

I am not restricting them from posting here. Why do you think that is the case?

VerdiPascoli
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 15:16

Maybe that's a better question for the forum moderators?

TheOffGridExperienceTn
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 16:11

Looks like I'm signed in and able to post! Please reply back to confirm.

Jamie
The OGE

VerdiPascoli
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 16:12

Quoting: TheOffGridExperienceTn
Looks like I'm signed in and able to post! Please reply back to confirm.

Jamie
The OGE

Ok, great. Glad to see that!

TheOffGridExperienceTn
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 16:21

Quoting: Stoney
He did give me credit near the end of the 14th episode.

That episode is called something like "Additions and a better way to do corners".

I really do appreciate him for spreading the word about this technique.

You are welcome!!
Jamie
The OGE

Stoney
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 16:27

Jamie,

You got it.

Welcome

planzman
# Posted: 22 Feb 2023 02:12 - Edited by: planzman

Jamie,

Someone is trying to convince me
I won a prize in your non existent giveaway.

Everyone beware. Hackers abound out there.

TheOffGridExperienceTn
# Posted: 22 Feb 2023 12:35

Quoting: planzman
Jamie,

Someone is trying to convince me
I won a prize in your non existent giveaway.

Everyone beware. Hackers abound out there.

Yes, unfortunately youtube has scammers trying to scam. If you don't see the checkmark by my reply, it's not me

Jamie
The OGE

Stoney
# Posted: 26 Feb 2023 06:40

Jamie,

I watched your video and noticed something that I recommend doing differently in my booklet.
Your method of doing the floor was about the same as doing a stick built floor with the OSB on top and then the logs.
My method is to do the first course of logs and then build the floor inside them. You will use a few more boards but the edge of the OSB will not be exposed to the elements on the outside.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.