Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Easy and Cheap Log Cabin
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 .
TheOffGridExperienceTn
# Posted: 26 Feb 2023 09:45

Quoting: Stoney
Your method of doing the floor was about the same as doing a stick built floor with the OSB on top and then the logs.
My method is to do the first course of logs and then build the floor inside them. You will use a few more boards but the edge of the OSB will not be exposed to the elements on the outside.

Stoney,

I plan to put a 1x4 rough pine piece of trim over OSB and then burn and caulk it. This will protect it. I had to wait until additions were started.

There's a few other things that were probably done differently as well. I wish I had your booklet before starting this.

Thanks
Jamie
The OGE

Stoney
# Posted: 26 Feb 2023 10:00

Jamie,
For not having the booklet you did a wonderful job on it.
My wife loves the way you burned the boards and wishes that we had known about that process.

Keith

Brikar
# Posted: 26 Feb 2023 10:20

Really happy the post has some new activity for all that has used Stoney method please share pics, advice, having limited skills this method makes the dream of a cabin getaway to share with family and freinds now achievable i give Stoney full credit for the method also Jamie's videos have given new life to this post, look forward to see more vidoes and new post to make my dream of owning a cabin in the woods a reality

jvansandt
# Posted: 26 Feb 2023 17:43

Hi Stoney.

I sent an email about your booklet but I have not heard anything back.

I watched Jamie’s video including the one where he referenced your work.

I would love to read your wisdom.

Stoney
# Posted: 26 Feb 2023 18:56

I'm sorry but I never received your email. Could you please resend it and I will get back to you.

pwomack2007
# Posted: 8 Mar 2023 10:43

how do i get book on building log cabin out of 2x8

Stoney
# Posted: 8 Mar 2023 10:57

Contact me at:

Braker1@bellsouth.net

rwomack
# Posted: 8 Mar 2023 17:09

I am a new member to this site - I am looking for the link to take me to where I can either BUY the book or download the book - any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Rose Womack

bbbls033
# Posted: 16 Mar 2023 00:32

Hi everyone, new forum dreamer here. I am drawing up plans to build a cabin similar to this one. I do have one question about the overlap within the laminated log structure. Why the 2” offset and not more? It seems that a greater length in the offset would make a stronger structure overall? I was thinking of making a model to test a 4” offset. The first run(?)would then be a 2x4. I apologize if you’ve discussed this prior, I didn’t see anything when I read through the forum.

Note to Stoney: There’s a website where you can upload and sell a digital file. I bought plans there for the pop-up cabin. It’s very easy to purchase a file there.You wouldn’t have to worry about making copies or dealing with emails and payment ever again if you used a site like this. You just receive royalties once a month. The site is TeeSpring. It costs nothing to make an account. I’m not certain what cut they take of your pile of royalties.

tiny
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 13:38 - Edited by: tiny

Stoney, I love this building method!!! As far as the critics go, how about a nice cup of STFU!!! Not everyone is an engineer, ME. Not everyone is a plumber, ME. Not everyone is a framer, ME. Not everyone is a contractor, ME. As I have stated before, I am an EXPERT of nothing!!! That hasn't stopped me from starting close to a half dozen businesses. I will be contacting you about your book/manual. It is an alternative building method that I was looking at. This would not be my first choice but maybe for a accessory building.

I am new to this website and am amazed at some of the cabins being built. As fas as the cup of STFU, I hope I did not step out of bounds. Please accept my humble apologizes.

Stoney
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 14:44

I would not get to upset. There is always going to be critics for new processes and ideas. I just wish that they would try building with this method before criticizing it.
Many building inspectors and engineers have bought my booklet and there hasn't been any negative responses from any of them. This pretty much says enough.

tiny
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 15:42 - Edited by: tiny

Since you just replied to my post, how much does the booklet cost? If you want me to email, just say so.

Stoney
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 17:09

Email me .

hrs
# Posted: 18 May 2023 09:22

Thanks for the prompt response to my request for the booklet! ($15, request at braker1@bellsouth.net)

It sounds like the sweet spot for handling the LamLogs is 2x8x10, maybe 2x8x12. Can you tell us about moving a 2x8x16?

I had all kind of questions from the 2010 starting thread and then noticed 12 pages! Amazing this continues so many years later!

Hope I can get an engineers approval and then find the best way to build trusses to allow loft space.

Thanks!

Stoney
# Posted: 18 May 2023 09:32

Due to doors and windows there isn't much need for anything over 12 feet.

VerdiPascoli
# Posted: 1 Jul 2023 11:06

The Off Grid Experience bedroom build start to finish using Stoney method!

https://youtu.be/buWYjkYSSQM

Southysuper
# Posted: 11 Jul 2023 04:30

Stoney
I’d like to get a copy of your booklet. I came across a YouTube video that pointed me here and to you.

Southysuper
# Posted: 11 Jul 2023 04:31

Stoney
Crap, I though that was a direct message. Sorry

tdorman47
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 15:13

Stoney
Just started reading your thoughts, and saw that some are 10 years old. So I don't know what state your E book on building these sandwich buildings has reached today. But I would like a copy. Please forward information about ordering and cost.

Thanks in advance

Ted Dorman

TheOGE
# Posted: 11 Nov 2023 20:55 - Edited by: TheOGE

Complete build using Stoney's concepts.

https://youtu.be/1acxb5K_Zl8

Thanks
Jamie

Provolone
# Posted: 20 Nov 2023 07:45

Building a log cabin out of regular lumber sounds like a cool DIY project. Using 2" by 8" lumber and construction adhesive to create the log look is a clever idea. It's great that you were able to avoid heavy lifting and chainsaws.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.