Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 16x32 Gambrel roofed cabin in northern WI
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Oct 2021 11:06

The 'painful' part now will be writing the check, but that pain will quickly pass as you can move on/forward.
I learned there are things I can do, things I shouldnt do and for some stuff I can make the money easier to pay for it being done than trying to do it myself.
The sorting it all out is still troublesome......

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Oct 2021 11:42

Wall Jack's stand up a wall. How are they useing them on the roof?

Nate R
# Posted: 18 Oct 2021 17:52

Do you mean pump jacks?

gwindhurst
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 07:35

More likely side wall staging bracket.

gwindhurst
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 07:41

You should consider purchasing them for when you do the metal roof (about $50ea.). You can always sell them when you're done...

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 08:06

I'm sure staging brackets would be handy but how much can you really reach up? Not very much so your really just working lenear off them and the time it takes to put them up you could be 1/2 done. Then you have to take them down.

gwindhurst
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 09:21

IMO Staging allows you to work more efficiently, and more importantly more SAFELY! That in itself far outweighs the time it takes to set-up and take down (especially when working alone). Not to mention if wall brackets are what they're using, the placement/holes and backing plates/cleats are already there...

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 10:00

Ive made 2x4 'racks' to aid myself for a lot of projects. Another good reason to always have some extra 2x4s around. It holds one end while I the other or stage something as far as I can handle to get ready for the next lift. I see log cabin builders work alone, work smart with waayyy heavy stuff.
Some rigging is great to have around too as well as at least a deer hunt tree stand harness.

WILL1E
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 10:54 - Edited by: WILL1E

Ok, maybe i don't know the proper terminology of those brackets. They did the the rafter tails and the first level of the gambrel from it. They then put 1 ladder on the rafter tail with blocking to keep it from sliding and then got up to the second level.

Took them about 7hrs of actual work to do the entire roof!

They are quoting me $700 to put the steel on...needless to say i'll be going that route if it means keeping me on terra firma!!
61FA4361D8984E139.jpeg
61FA4361D8984E139.jpeg

gwindhurst
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 10:57

NICE! Looking at it now I bet you're thinking, "it was worth every penny!"

WILL1E
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 10:58

Quoting: gcrank1
I learned there are things I can do, things I shouldnt do and for some stuff I can make the money easier to pay for it being done than trying to do it myself.

Amen. Now i just need to pick up some side gigs doing what i do best to make up for the cash i spent on hiring these guys!

WILL1E
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 11:01

Quoting: gwindhurst
Looking at it now I bet you're thinking, "it was worth every penny!"

Yup! It was/is a weird mix of emotions. Happy to have the weight off my shoulders, angry because i had to break down and hire someone for the first time ever, disappointed because it's not exactly to my level of perfection (the wrinkles in the felt and ice barrier :angry...etc..etc...etc...

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 11:26

I helped do some corrugated steel roofing decades ago, when I was younger, dumber but really fit. As easy as some say metal roofing is to do I aint buying the tale. Everything has a learning curve, some with more consequences than others. I aint doing a cabin roof! Maybe a little shed roof where a can scootch stuff around to make a compromise fit, but not a cabin roof. Maybe after going through the learning curve on some small sheds Id 'feel better' about it but in the big picture I just am not that good anymore.....

Nate R
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 11:49

Even on my 6/12 roof, I struggled with the ice and water shield sliding down the roof.....I was unable to get some of it down without wrinkles. I later saw a This Old House episode on a very steep roof where you could see plenty of wrinkles.....made me feel better about mine.

So, probably fine, and you may not have done any better yourself.....

Also, I used pre-made trusses and STILL ended up with "rafters" out of place....I found out later I screwed up alignment on one enough to put a small hump in the roof... 1/2" -3/4" or so at most....But still... It's not CAD .. it doesn't always have to be perfect, as long as the important details (water management, etc) are correct.

snobdds
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 14:19

Quoting: WILL1E
Yup! It was/is a weird mix of emotions. Happy to have the weight off my shoulders, angry because i had to break down and hire someone for the first time ever, disappointed because it's not exactly to my level of perfection (the wrinkles in the felt and ice barrier :angry...etc..etc...etc...

It was a very ambitious timeline to begin with. Building a cabin is not as easy as it looks, especially the roof, alone. You still made the right call and there is plenty of finish work you can put your OCD into.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 18:38

OCD, I resemble that remark!
At lot of times is is most definitly NOT a 'disorder', it is a 'quality enhancer'.

WILL1E
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 08:09

Went for the day this past Saturday. Hope was to install the door, 4 windows and get the 5th wheel winterized but came up short and only got the door, 1 window and the winterizing done.

Would like to get all the 1st floor windows in before snow flies. So that's the other 3 i brought up, plus 6 more i have in storage. The 2 for the upper portion of the gable ends will have to wait till next year...i'm done with scaffolding for awhile

gcrank1
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 14:29

Looks Good!
Weather and season sure has turned quick in WI this year! Im only about 1/2 done with the home 'Winterizing' prep work, try to get one project knocked off per day. Having two properties complicates it!
Do you have a portable LP space heater? The kind about the size of a 5 gal bucket or a little salamander.
The little sal I have has a 120v fan which would work well for you and Im not using it. Where is home? If you are coming through/near Portage we could meet up?

WILL1E
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 15:06

All i have is a little buddy heater, no torpedo style units. Home is in the Fox Valley. I don't hate the cold, so i'll probably be fine until i get the pellet stove in...thanks for the offer though!

WILL1E
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 08:12 - Edited by: WILL1E

Well, the cabin is finally feeling like a cabin to me. Went up Friday night and got to work early Saturday morning. I was able to get 9 of the 10 windows in on the first floor before darkness hit. Gotta say, i'm pretty happy with these windows, especially since i only paid $50ea for them. Even though they are new old stock, i haven't seen anything that concerns me about them keeping the elements out. guess time will tell!

Probably won't make it up for a week or two, but hopefully i can install that last window on the first floor before it's too cold for the ZIP flashing tapes to work. Would like to get the soffit installed to close up that area more as well. Stove should be showing up this week too so i'll have another full load of supplies to bring up next time!

Nobadays
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 09:01

Nice! Hope you have rested up and can again enjoy the build!

WILL1E
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 09:19

Quoting: Nobadays
Nice! Hope you have rested up and can again enjoy the build!

Thanks! Mentally i feel better about the state of things. However, my hands still aren't right...actually thinking about breaking down and going to the doc which i hate just as much as hiring someone!

Nobadays
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 10:05

Glad to hear you are mentally feeling better about the project! I feel your pain! I'm a one armed guy so when I am on a larger building project my hand/arm gets pretty trashed! I can go days on end with my arm/hand "falling asleep" even just sitting on the couch, wakes me up at night. Usually after a week, ten days of forcing myself to leave the tools alone things settle down.

Nate R
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 11:39

Looking good! You're catching up to mine pretty quickly!

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 11:50

You started out better than mine, everything you do gets you even farther ahead! I'll never catch up, lol.

WILL1E
# Posted: 9 Nov 2021 08:10 - Edited by: WILL1E

Well, i got a call at 4pm on Saturday night from the roofer telling me his guys were coming on Monday. So much for any notice eh?! So i took the day off and went up and got some work done like the last window on the 1st floor in, insulating around the windows with spray foam and general clean up and such.

Unfortunately they didn't finish the steel. They claimed the inner and outer gambrel trim from Menards didn't match the angles on my roof and that slowed them down. So now they need another half day to finish and of course want more money This is why i hate hiring people!!

Anyways, things are shaping up!

jsahara24
# Posted: 9 Nov 2021 08:53

Looking good!

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Nov 2021 09:18 - Edited by: gcrank1

Hmm, when the contractor gave you a price he didnt give it in writing? Fwiw, verbal contracts are binding in WI, but, that said, realistically how do you fight a 'handshake deal' in his backyard.
I learned my lesson on a furnace replacement, the final bill was 2x what the verbal agreement was and there were NO surprises or extras causing problems and I already had the new furnace! A few hundred dollars more wouldnt have been a big deal for me, $1K was.

WILL1E
# Posted: 9 Nov 2021 13:17

Yeah, it's only $300 extra so i'm just gonna eat it. Don't want to piss them off before they're done and just in case i get desperate again i don't want to run off the only guy that was willing to help me on short notice.

Nate R
# Posted: 9 Nov 2021 16:18 - Edited by: Nate R

Is that 3/4" foam for the baffles?

Looks good! Which exact color is the steel? I saw they have like 2 or 3 different "black" colors. And I need to pick a black/dark steel color in the next few months for our firewood shed.

For $300, I wouldn't fight them on this one too hard, either. Still a bargain to get where you are vs no roof this winter. And you would've spent that much more last year and then some in lumber costs... so I feel like you're still doing OK.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.