Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / wireless outdoor cameras
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 13 . 14 . >>
jhp
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 20:18

Quoting: paulz
Would that be 'PIR sensitivity? I can go from Hi to Low right here from home.

Yeah it looks like it:

PIR Sensitivity can be adjusted in the camera settings. If using camera in a food plot where detection range might be farther away from the camera, then set the camera to a high PIR sensitivity. If utilizing the camera on a feeder or in a heavily wooded environment where game will be closer, then set the PIR sensor setting to low.

Pro Tip: It’s always a good idea to clear away any brush or limbs immediately in front of your camera as these can cause a false trigger. Tall weeds and grass can also cause a false trigger. If you continue to get photos with nothing in them, then turn your PIR sensitivity to low.

https://www.moultriefeeders.com/trail-camera-buyers-guide

paulz
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 23:46

I lowered the PIr sensitivity today, but of course the sun never came out...

Yeah that branch is in the way. Trying to find a good spot to locate it and not have it stick out like a sore thumb is not going to be easy. Maybe some strategically placed tree bark..

jhp
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 11:11 - Edited by: jhp

I got a camo-colored steel lockbox for my camera. Before I hung it up, I was a bit skeptical thinking it wasn't going to work, but I was wrong.

From across the driveway, maybe like 40' you'd never see it just glancing at the woods, you'd have to know it was there and what tree it was on. Even then you'd have to walk right up to it because it doesnt look like a camera. It sticks out a bit more in the winter when there's no brush around but in the summer it nearly disappears.

I then put a much cheaper non-cell trail cam on another tree near the front door where you literally can't miss it as you drive in and park.

So far everyone I've seen will pretty much walk right up to the very obvious camera and never even knew the other one is there..

I figure if someone does show up with ill intentions, they'll probably just steal the obvious camera and go about their business thinking they are in the clear.

paulz
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 12:18 - Edited by: paulz

Great idea on the dummy cam!

I changed my PIR setting to low and have gotten less false triggers, still a dang branch in the way.

Here is a photo of my truck driving by. Can't quite read the license plate. I have the image quality set to High. There is another option called Enhanced but can't find any reference to what that does. I requested a 'High Resolution' of the image, Moutrie says it will send it to me off the SD card the next time the camera reports or some such. That was two hours ago.
mm.JPG
mm.JPG

jhp
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 13:34

My Spypoint does the same thing, the image I get on my phone I can tell make and model no problem but the plate is a bit fuzzy.

The pic that is on the SD card, I can read the plate just fine, its significantly better quality.

I suspect when your cam finally checks in and does upload you the HD photo you'll get a partial plate at least.

FishHog
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 14:01

Here is a photo of my truck driving by. Can't quite read the license plate.

Did you forget your own license plate number?

Just kidding, like jhp said above the transmitted photo are low resolution. The high rez one should be much better.

paulz
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 15:58 - Edited by: paulz

Ha, I have no idea what my license number is. Still waiting for my Hi Res image. It says the image must still be on the SD card. I haven't deleted any pictures so far. Do they all go on the SD card? I don't see any way to force the camera to send it.

I'm hoping that should I catch someone's vehicle that shouldn't be there I can report the license number immediately (immediately after I'm done shitting my pants that is).

jhp
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 20:40

Yep, everything you capture will be stored on the SD card as well, and it will be the full high resolution versions.

Check to see how often your camera is configured to connect to the network for updates. To save battery, mine only connects once per day, or when it detects motion.

So if I asked it to send me a high resolution picture right now I wouldn't get it until noon (hours later) which is when I told it to check for updates unless it happened to trigger for a motion alert before then.

You might be able to adjust the time of day you want it to check and the frequency, I think mine goes down to the hour if you want it to.

paulz
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 21:15

Ah yes, I see the last time the app says it communicated with the camera was 10pm last night, when it took a pic. Don't see any way to force communication, maybe TMT knows?

paulz
# Posted: 18 Mar 2020 08:31 - Edited by: paulz

Hi res image showed up last night. If I did need it sooner I could retrieve the camera and get it via usb port, I assume. Seems odd you can't ping the camera remotely.

On another note, I have been testing the old Stealth Cam (non wireless) I have, to use at the house while I'm at the cabin. Thought I would put it behind a window pointing to the driveway. No soap, won't trigger through a window.
kkkk.JPG
kkkk.JPG

paulz
# Posted: 19 Mar 2020 18:23

Moultrie says to mount the camera 3 feet off the ground. Is this just to catch animals or something to do with sensors? Want to try it on a roof pointed downward.

FishHog
# Posted: 19 Mar 2020 19:16

Its to catch animals. I have some up high pointing down and they work just fine.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Mar 2020 20:06

Thanks Fish. I've got it mounted under the eve of my carport, seems to work. Public road on the other side of the fence, so far no false triggers. It's about 200' away.
downloaded6372023322.jpg
downloaded6372023322.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Mar 2020 21:53

I just turned my account off, was a snap, was just testing it. Of course, it will run to the end of the billing cycle.

paulz
# Posted: 24 Mar 2020 13:31

Let us know how long it takes to reactivate. Now that mine is in place I'm not seeing as much need to turn it off remotely. It's near enough to my shop to just go turn it off if I am working, and it's kind of nice to know it's working when it takes my photo driving in and out.

One thing that bugs me, when I do get a beep on my phone that it has taken a photo, it takes about a minute for the Moultrie app to load and show me the photo. Not like a text photo that show up right away.
Meanwhile I sit there staring at the phone. Maybe there is a way to have the app up all the time on the phone?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Mar 2020 20:38

Let us know how long it takes to reactivate

Should be a day or less. Its how long it did last time. Billing cycle starts the day you activate it. Mine is still active till the 15th. Then its off. Its still in my control panel, I just click and start it back up, should be on within the day.

paulz
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 11:28

My camera caught a critter last night. Again waiting for a hi res image. I did an online chat with Moultrie, very responsive. Found out there is no way to force an image transmission. The camera is supposed to communicate at least once a day. Any option changes you might have made will go into effect at that time, or if it triggers and sends an image.

I don't remember, do any of the other cameras have the ability to ping them remotely?
yyyyy.JPG
yyyyy.JPG

paulz
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 11:38

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Should be a day or less.

I forgot to ask the guy, maybe you know tmt..

Is there supposed to be a plate that holds the batteries in? Mine were falling out every time I opened the camera. I stuck a piece of tape over them, so far so good.

paulz
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 16:49

Just got out to the cabin. Camera took a shot driving in, which triggered delivery of the hi-res image. Big cat?
downloaded6372082443.jpg
downloaded6372082443.jpg

jhp
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 17:28

Looks like a bobcat to me.

I can't ping my Spypoint cameras but i can configure how many times a day they check in, and what specific time I want that to start.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Mar 2020 16:42

I forgot to ask the guy, maybe you know tmt..

Is there supposed to be a plate that holds the batteries in?

No cover on mine, seems to stay in place when open.

paulz
# Posted: 11 Apr 2020 12:30

So I have my Moultrie pretty dialed in. Takes a couple false photos a day, they told me it 'checks in' at least once a day, maybe it does that by taking a pic? No biggie, I get 500 a month I think for 10 bucks and it's kinda nice keeping an eye on the place.

Then there is this guy who keeps traipsing through at night. Fox? Kind of cute. Could I trap him and domesticate?
fox.JPG
fox.JPG

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Apr 2020 16:28

Could I trap him and domesticate?

paulz, leave him alone, he is "mousing" right now. Perfect to keep unwanted pest away.

paulz
# Posted: 12 Apr 2020 20:37 - Edited by: paulz

Well, bless his heart. Between him and this frequent passer by I might have to install a toll booth.

Seems like I saw where it can identify certain things, and maybe not send you the photo. Can't find it now. Maybe that was a different camera.
sdaf.JPG
sdaf.JPG

paulz
# Posted: 16 Apr 2020 18:22 - Edited by: paulz

Sheesh, what am I running a game preserve around here? Every night it's something different.

What's this?
asdfaf.JPG
asdfaf.JPG

FishHog
# Posted: 16 Apr 2020 18:44

Racoon

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Apr 2020 19:27

Sheesh, what am I running a game preserve around here?

You have good ground, suitable for all kinds of wildlife.

95XL883
# Posted: 17 Apr 2020 07:28

Hi Paulz,
There are lots more animals to get pictures of; squirrels, possum, rabbits, deer, skunks, (did you have a coyote yet, I don’t remember.), groundhog, weasel ( I have only seen one on my camera), dogs, cats, depending on where you are at, hogs, black bear, elk, marten. Once, I even got a picture of a raccoon hunter; (those guys must be crazy to run through the woods at night.) It is fun seeing the pics. Thx for sharing.

FishHog
# Posted: 17 Apr 2020 08:24

Years ago my hunting buddy set up a trail camera at his deer hunting spot in the summer That fall before he was there I went out and found it. Brought it back and put this picture on then set it back up. I was hoping he would look at them in the early morning while still dark and get freaked out. Instead he brought the card back to my camp and we all looked at it together. He was still freaked out.

I still laugh when I think about it.
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 17 Apr 2020 08:39 - Edited by: paulz

Ha, that's a great one Fish! Yes it is fun seeing the pics. I had no idea these critters were on my property, deer and birds are what I'm used to seeing.

The downside for me with the cell camera is I get a text when it takes a photo, as it is supposed to. That raccoon, as you can see, happened by at 1am. Once I wake up at night it's usually an hour or more before I can sleep again.

In the short time I have had the camera, it has quickly become a reliable tool for peace of mind, both when I am there (my gate and shop area are no visible from the cabin) and when away.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 13 . 14 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.