Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / wireless outdoor cameras
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 13 . 14 . >>
95XL883
# Posted: 17 Apr 2020 17:38

Hey Paul,
Just a thought. Would it be possible to set a separate tone for texts from the camera and then pick a restful tone? It seems a balance of enough to wake you enough to check and still not be so excited you have trouble getting back to sleep.

justinbowser
# Posted: 17 Apr 2020 19:16

Just a quick update on my Moultrie vs Spypoint observations. I have been using both of them for a couple of months and have decided the is the better solution. The Moultrie triggers faster but I have not been able to figure out if there is any way to schedule when it is active, like the Spypoint. E-mails to Moultrie's customer support go unanswered so I have decided to discontinue the Moultrie Mobile service and just use it as a game cam.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Apr 2020 20:24

justin, you can schedule it. I did email tech support and got a pretty quick reply back. Maybe check a spam folder???

justinbowser
# Posted: 17 Apr 2020 20:52

Toyota, thanks. Nothing in spam and on the app the only thing I see for scheduling is for time-lapse. Nothing in the app explains what any of the fields or entries do and I can't find any hint of documentation on their web site.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Apr 2020 21:00

justin, there is a little ? mark, hover over it with your mouse and it explains it, but sometimes confusing.

justinbowser
# Posted: 18 Apr 2020 09:41

Yeah, I see that but it just repeats what the selection said. If you have time maybe you could PM me on how to set up the scheduler. I did start and stop times in the "Time Lapse" entries but have "Capture Mode" set to motion detect. It takes pictures during times I have excluded so apparently does not apply to motion detect mode.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Apr 2020 10:30 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: 95XL883
Hey Paul,
Just a thought. Would it be possible to set a separate tone for texts from the camera and then pick a restful tone? It seems a balance of enough to wake you enough to check and still not be so excited you have trouble getting back to sleep.

Hmm, maybe..there is 2-5 minutes delay between the text and the photo so I'm awake by that time. I have not figured out why that is, normally when you get a text the photo is already in it. Actually it is not really a text, you get a tone on the phone. Turn the phone on, there is a notification that a photo has been taken. You touch that and it loads the Moultrie app and then you get the photo. If the app happens to be loaded already you still have to refresh it, same delay. Anyway that 2-5 minutes is just enough time to take a pee and stop by the fridge on the way back.

I too don't understand how you schedule activation times, though not all worried about it now. Ideally, I would like to turn it off by phone before I get to my gate so I don't get my picture taken when I get there, but on the other hand it's good to know that it's working.

My 'friends' seem to be doing that pretty well already though. Busy night at Paul's animal farm last night, at least they came by at 10pm and 6am. I'm wondering if some kind of scarecrow, bear scent, or maybe to fencing around that area might send them in another direction.
aa.JPG
aa.JPG
ab.JPG
ab.JPG

justinbowser
# Posted: 18 Apr 2020 11:57

Quoting: paulz
I too don't understand how you schedule activation times, though not all worried about it now. Ideally, I would like to turn it off by phone before I get to my gate so I don't get my picture taken when I get there, but on the other hand it's good to know that it's working.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. When I arrive at our cabin I have to run over to the cam and turn it off before it take a few dozen pics.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Apr 2020 12:38

Ha, yeah I know, and even if I manage to avoid walking in front of it it's a sure bet the dog will head right for it.

I did a 'chat' from my home computer to Moutrie guy, it came right away and he was very helpful. I was asking bout the high res images but from what I gather there is no way to ping the phone directly. If you make options changes, request a hi res, it waits until the next time it initiates contact either by taking a pic or it supposed to check in once a day (maybe also by taking a pic). So I don't see how it can be turned off on the fly. You may be able to deactivate the transfer of the photo to your phone, as TMT I think is alluding to, but it will still take the pics.

What's the process with the Spypoint?

deercula
# Posted: 19 Apr 2020 07:56 - Edited by: deercula

I can set the operating times for each day on my Spypoint right from my phone or laptop. So I could turn it off before I arrived, and set it to go back on when i plan to leave. It's a nice option.

justinbowser
# Posted: 19 Apr 2020 09:23

Quoting: deercula
I can set the operating times for each day on my Spypoint right from my phone or laptop. So I could turn it off before I arrived, and set it to go back on when i plan to leave. It's a nice option.

+1

If I had paid full price for the Moultrie camera I would be plenty pi$$ed but with coupons and rebate it cost me about $75 so it won't "hurt" too bad to just use it as a game-cam.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Apr 2020 10:54 - Edited by: paulz

I paid full price!

Quoting: deercula
So I could turn it off before I arrived, and set it to go back on when i plan to leave. It's a nice option

Have you actually tried it? Because on the Moultrie there is a difference between what you can do and when it does it. You can set other options but they won't take affect until it checks in. So if it had that option, you would be sitting at the gate for potentially hours until it checked in and got the message.

FishHog
# Posted: 19 Apr 2020 12:23

Nature of the beast Paul. You have to plan ahead as until it communicates the camera has no idea you changed settings

I’m just playing with my new SPYPOINT now but we’re having a bit of a blizzard so it’s not taking good pictures right now

deercula
# Posted: 19 Apr 2020 13:29

You can set the first transfer time daily.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Apr 2020 16:33

Quoting: FishHog
Nature of the beast Paul. You have to plan ahead as until it communicates the camera has no idea you changed settings

OK, on the Spypoint? I just want to be clear because I plan to communicate this deficiency to Moultrie. They are always sending me surveys..

justinbowser
# Posted: 20 Apr 2020 20:35

I cancelled my Moultrie today and gave "No able to schedule active time for camera" and "ignored by customer support" as the reason. We'll see if they respond to THAT.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Apr 2020 20:55

Justin, when you contacted them, did you do it via the regular website or did you do it from your moultrie control panel site?

I got a quick response and it wasnt a generic canned reply either.

justinbowser
# Posted: 21 Apr 2020 11:23

I went through the web site. I guess it's all moot at this point as there doesn't seem to be a scheduler...

paulz
# Posted: 21 Apr 2020 12:07

It sounds like something that could be added to the software (coming from a software know nothing).

What I think is also important, and don't recall it being answered, is will the Spypoint accept commands in real time (can you ping it immediately), or does you input wait around until the Spypoint checks in, like the Moultrie does?

Again not all the important to me since I want it on full time when I am not there and I can turn if off manually when I'm there. But there could be times...

FishHog
# Posted: 21 Apr 2020 12:31

No you can’t ping a SPYPOINT. You make the changes and the next time the camera communicates it gets the change.

Remember your not pushing changes to the camera. The camera checks in at the previous scheduled time and sees the change. Until then it has no idea you want a change

I’m sure the other way could be possible but the camera would have to be communicating all the time and batteries would be dead in no time

paulz
# Posted: 21 Apr 2020 13:53

Ok thanks Fish. So all we're really missing is scheduling times for trigger mode. Seems like a simple software upgrade, to me.

justinbowser
# Posted: 21 Apr 2020 14:47

Yeah, should be very simple and looks like an oversight when the software was developed. If they add this "feature" in the future I will gladly sign back up.

paulz
# Posted: 27 May 2020 10:05

Thinking about adding a second camera. I started reading specs and reviews, information overload. Another Moultrie would be easiest since I could add it to my plan. The only real complaint I have is the time it takes between when you get a notification and when the pictures shows up, sometimes two minutes staring at the phone, often in the middle of the night. I know it's not the intent of these cameras to be security devices, are the others like this?

Anyway, if anyone wants to bail on their Moultrie let me know.

justinbowser
# Posted: 27 May 2020 10:59

I might take you up on that...

paulz
# Posted: 27 May 2020 13:38

Don't know how to connect without the spammers picking up our email addys or phone nos.

justinbowser
# Posted: 28 May 2020 22:50

Let me think on it...

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 09:14

Has anyone used an external 12v source on a spy link camera?

jhp
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 09:22

Quoting: Brettny

Has anyone used an external 12v source on a spy link camera?

I don't use one but they all have a 12 volt charge input via barrel connector. Spypoint sells a cable on their site for $17, or a kit with battery for $50 something.

On a solar model this is the same port used for charging the internal lithium battery from an AC source.

jhp
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 09:23

Spypoint is also releasing a cellular adapter to turn any SD-card using trail cam into a cell cam.

$60 coming soon:

https://www.spypoint.com/en/products/universal-cellular-adapter/product-cell-link.htm l

NGL, this looks kind of great.

justins7
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 09:44

That looks pretty amazing.

I use 12v batteries on both of my Spypoint Link cameras. They're great. I haven't needed to recharge mine in at least 6 months. I never want to go back to disposable batteries.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 13 . 14 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.