Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My project
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 17:58 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, as promised, cabin apparel. Genuine Double J Ranch Apparel.

I have Carhartt vest (official color is the dark brown) but I do wear a light brown Carhartt vest.

I have baseball caps, stocking caps (Carhartt) Beanie billed cap (Carhartt), I have stickers and enough patches to make plenty more apparel. I dont stock vest, its made to order. So a family member wants one, he has to get the right color and I will sew a patch on for him/her.

I also have a rubber stamp for letterheads, marking things for the ranch, ie showing ownership etc.
JJ Apparel
JJ Apparel
caps.jpg
caps.jpg
JJ Caps
JJ Caps
Letter Head
Letter Head

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 18:02 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, signage or marker post to ID my new watering hole (solar well) and markers for the first 2 camp sights. I have 3 official plus the ranger station which is my cabin and reserved for me.

These are just like the markers you would see at a state park, or national forest campground.

They still need painting.

If you have ever been in a state park, federal park or national park campground, these all look familiar to you.
markerpost.jpg
markerpost.jpg
rangerwater.jpg
rangerwater.jpg
topofpost.jpg
topofpost.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 23:29

All painted up and ready to head over to the cabin shortly.
Park like signage
Park like signage

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 02:51

Quoting: Steve_S
Just an FYI for Julie. I had my well Cable Drilled last year, it's 230' deep in red/black/white banded granite. Drilling & 22' of casing + seals etc came out to $11,000. Pump, (Grundfos SQ-5 110V soft start [solar system friendly]), 44 gal pressure tank, valves, switches, O-Pipes, etc was another $2700All in for our water system 13.7K.There are significant differences between Cable Drilling which fractures the rock as part of the process, versus Bore Drilling which just cuts through the rock and averages going 20% deeper as a result to get the same water flows.

That's not bad at all, Steve!!! I could save up and that would be so doable for me within a couple of years. What sort of altitude, terrain, geology and soils is your cabin on?

I'm at about 4,600 ft. altitude, mountain, forest. Much of Oregon was formed from volcanic eruptions and there is a lot of rock below. From information I've gotten from others in the area, you could hit water anywhere between 150 and 400 feet.

Now, this IS an area that is absolutely loaded with springs, lakes and rivers and the lower elevations and valley land gets much more shallow wells. Is it possible that I could tap into an underground spring that isn't terribly deep? I don't know. Locating the best places to try could be difficult, I guess.

Fun fact: Klamath Falls, Oregon, is a hotbed for geothermal. The downtown residences, businesses and city buildings use all of that underground hot stuff for affordable heating! The city sidewalks are actually kept warm and clear of ice and snow in the winter because the city tapped into that natural geothermal heat! Really cool!

Oh, to be able to locate all of this stuff precisely because it IS around!

Sorry, Toyota -- SO

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 02:54

Toyota,
Do you have parking signs reserving spaces for yourself, your wife ... and Smoky Bear?!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 23:15 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Julie, I will make some of those too. I may buy some of the tin ones too, in the forest service brown color.

OK, the well with solar panels are installed (removed when I am not there, they are heavy, I need to figure out something else maybe???)

And my marker signs are up. I bought a brand new power post hole digger with a 6" auger, made the task so simple. Will work great for fence work/repair too. . Well pictures, marker post etc. If you notice the corner fence post were left a bit long, that is for barbed wire to wrap around the top. I ran out of time. But got the items high on my priority list all done.
wellfront.jpg
wellfront.jpg
well_cap.jpg
well_cap.jpg
keyed_well_switch.jp.jpg
keyed_well_switch.jp.jpg
ice_cold_clear_water.jpg
ice_cold_clear_water.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 23:18 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Signage and marker post and more well stuff. For you ham radio guys this was what we call field day. I was doing field day, but fit in a bunch of work. Seems I can never just go tot he cabin and relax, I bring enough tools for projects and I still dont get them all done.

Well head is now painted black.
waterfall.jpg
waterfall.jpg
site_1.jpg
site_1.jpg
site_marker_1.jpg.JP.jpg
site_marker_1.jpg.JP.jpg
site_marker_2.jpg
site_marker_2.jpg

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 23:18

Toyota.After doing this fabulous cabin.Is there anything you would of done different in hindsight?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 23:29

Quoting: littlehouseontheprarie
Toyota.After doing this fabulous cabin.Is there anything you would of done different in hindsight?

You know, just this weekend I found an item I wish I would fo done differently. The one light of the 2 in the kitchen, I wished one was over one more ceiling joist.

But otherwise, no,. In fact, it worked out better in the end than I expected. There was things that fell into place as if I designed or planned it that way. And I didnt.

Just the well for example. Well driller said "where do you want it" and I pointed "there" He pounded in a marker and drilled. Now if you notice, its in a small clearing and for some strange reasons, no trees grow around it. I never planned on a solar well when I had it drilled in 06. But trees would of rendered the solar well useless. The bunk room was actually the bathroom in the original plans. I just added bunks. Well, length of bunks are 6'3" long, perfect for mattress length. It just worked out as if I had engineered it all out.

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 16 Nov 2015 22:47

Out of curiosity what is the roof pitch on this one?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Nov 2015 21:54 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

7.6/12. LHOTP, I made it just steep enough to avoid the gable ends going over the 4 foot mark. Reason was to save cost. Being under the 4 foot mark, I was able to cut 4X8 sheets to fit in there and the part I cut off fit perfetly for the other side, opposite corner. Of course, my cabin was 16' wide. So no waste at all. If the gable was 4'6", it would of taken 6+ sheets to cover both ends vs 4 sheets and lots more expensive scrap wood left over

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Nov 2015 21:57 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I am currently building my own home made Woodstove for the cabin now. Basically same dimensions as the original, except 4" shorter and using 1/4" plate steel vs the multi piece cast iron unit it has now.

I will post some pictures as I move along. The shell is already welded (tacked) in place

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Apr 2016 10:00

Woodstove is built. I seen I posted about it here, so to keep it consolidated, I will post my woodstove pix here in my project thread.
woodstove20.jpg
woodstove20.jpg
woodstove19.jpg
woodstove19.jpg
woodstove21.jpg
woodstove21.jpg
woodstove22.jpg
woodstove22.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Apr 2016 13:13

And the new JJ Ranch rangers rig, the Kawasaki Mule. All set up with 2 meter ham radio (radio dispatched ) full street legal kit, JJ brand stickers and other goodies.
lh_front_dumper.jpg
lh_front_dumper.jpg
P1020584.JPG
P1020584.JPG
P1020585.JPG
P1020585.JPG
P1020586.JPG
P1020586.JPG

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 01:16

first class all the way, T-tech

not a surprise

keep a fire, my friend

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Apr 2016 19:20 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, back from a full week at the cabin, was a major work party, full of trucks, trailers, flatbed trucks with trailers hauling tractors, lots of cars, dump truck dumping gravel for 2 days straight.

I opened up my fire buffer (almost lost it to wildfire last summer) quite a bit and re-graveled the entire area plus some more. My cousin brought his Kubota tractor, made huge manual labor go away, we did so much in 3 days, what would of taken a single person more than 4 weeks to do.

I also installed the wood stove. Upon further inspection of the cast iron unit I removed, found a crack in the cast iron, plus the thing was made from 6 parts, all potential leak areas. New hand made stove in in place, it closes down so tight, no more overheating at night. It closed to tight, I can literally snuff out the fire if I needed too (chimney fire for example, leaving etc) Stove build was a 100% success. I added barbed wire around my well enclosure, repaired a corner post that pulled up, cleared a new RV campsite, added some more signage. I will post some pics.
P1020612.JPG
P1020612.JPG
P1020613.JPG
P1020613.JPG
P1020615.JPG
P1020615.JPG
P1020638.JPG
P1020638.JPG

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Apr 2016 19:22

Woodstove install...
P1020623.JPG
P1020623.JPG
P1020621.JPG
P1020621.JPG
P1020622.JPG
P1020622.JPG
P1020624.JPG
P1020624.JPG

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Apr 2016 19:24

Barbed wire above well enclosure.

And some more signage. I bought this sign from amazon.com, was very high quality metal, just like a county sign, $13, so will get more for around the property.
P1020657.JPG
P1020657.JPG
P1020655.JPG
P1020655.JPG

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Apr 2016 19:29

The Kawasaki Mule was perfect, it hauled water, packed all my tools for fence repair, but hauling it is quite a workout. My big diesel Cummins RAM hauls it with no trouble, but to fit it in my trailer, I must remove the entire top, roll bar, hood, windshield as one assembly. Its a bit heavy and awkward for 2 adults to do. I need to figure out something different here.
P1020634.JPG
P1020634.JPG
P1020617.JPG
P1020617.JPG
P1020618.JPG
P1020618.JPG

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Apr 2016 19:36

The old 1978 gray market Kubota, he has a backhoe for it, brought the rear blade, box scraper and rake.

I built and installed some birdhouses last year, seen a bird hauling in twigs into one of them, so it look like some birds has taken up residency in one of them.

It appears they have pecked out the opening I drill into it, more to just radius the hole to smooth it out some.

Lots of deer over there, loads of turkey sightings ans hearing them, gobble and not a single tick on any of the crew or myself. I am beat now. I spent 4 hous unloading, still washing cloths, more stuff to put away plus clean truck and Mule. Now I have Sunday to relax, then back to regular day job (work) again.
P1020606.JPG
P1020606.JPG
P1020610.JPG
P1020610.JPG
P1020611.JPG
P1020611.JPG
P1020619.JPG
P1020619.JPG

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 30 Apr 2016 22:54

Your woodstove is amazing! You did such a good job! Have you fired it up? I don't know how cold the nights are up there.

Your whole cabin property looks great! I'll bet you can't wait to get back up there and simply enjoy it for a weekend without as much work.

Did you guys get as much of a snowpack this winter as Oregon seemed to get? The drought eased up quite a bit. I hope you don't have the wildfire danger that you did last year! That was too scary!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Apr 2016 23:05

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
Your woodstove is amazing! You did such a good job! Have you fired it up? I don't know how cold the nights are up there.

Your whole cabin property looks great! I'll bet you can't wait to get back up there and simply enjoy it for a weekend without as much work.

Did you guys get as much of a snowpack this winter as Oregon seemed to get? The drought eased up quite a bit. I hope you don't have the wildfire danger that you did last year! That was too scary!

It seemed light this year, we did get late snowfalls too, but didnt hang around long.
Julie, yes, I fired up the stove, it was cold at night. This time of the year, days can be warm, but nights still very cold. We got a bit of rain for a few days too. The stove performed flawlessly. It was perfect, if I had to give it a score, it would be 100%. I choked it down after getting it going, stayed around 69ish or so. Old stove would run you out. Too warm, even with all windows open and had to reload stove by 2AM. This burned all night.

Julie, for some reason, I cant go up there and relax. I have to have projects, and big projects too. I am wired that way. It sounds crazy, but it in enjoyable to me.

Biggest load of work is packing and loading to head home and unloading and cleaning and unloading when I get home.

OK, as for the fires, lots of the fuel around me was burned. Looks ugly, but lots of trees right int eh fire survived, mainly the taller trees. My cabin isn't fireproof, but its certainly very fire resistant now. Gravel doesn't burn.

hattie
# Posted: 1 May 2016 00:46

Your place looks amazing!! That's a lot of gravel you put in, but it looks great and I'm sure it will really be a good fire break. I love the wood stove!! Geesh, I get tired just reading what all you've been doing at your cabin!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 May 2016 11:07 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Hattie, as much as I would love to have my cabin nestled into the trees, the type where you dont even see it until you are almost right up on it, isnt a practical option after last years firestorms.

I plan on bringing in more gravel still, no less that another 40 yards. Mostly to gravel the rest of the road into the cabin and beyond to the other campsites and loop turnaround.

If I ever run out of items to be doing, I would go nuts. Already, planning on building some more signage. Post a 5MPH speed limit sign, make one that looks like forest service "fire danger" level signs, with the arrow that points to colors, ie green, blue, yellow, orange and red like one of these: (keeping with forest service theme/park like appearance)

I like the round one, but will probably use the one sided, 2 post.
roundfiredanger.jpg
roundfiredanger.jpg
square2post.jpg
square2post.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Jun 2016 23:59

OK, I went with the rectangle one for now, may build the round one later. I also built a few more campsites. My cousin spent a bunch of his time, plus drug over his Kubota to move 60 yards of gravel around, so I let him pick and clear his own campsite (pending approval by park ranger ME) and gave it a number and made it "private".
Fire Danger Indicator
Fire Danger Indicator
Danger plus site markers
Danger plus site markers
Site markers
Site markers

tichalet
# Posted: 3 Jun 2016 10:25

Love all of this but the park&forest service color scheme with the "official" signage & accessories is wonderfully atmospheric. Kids must love this place!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Jun 2016 14:17 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: tichalet
Kids must love this place!

Yes they do. My kids are all grown, but still love it and the grandkids love it too. I love the atmosphere also. As a kid, I always enjoyed camping in state and national parks/forest. I always like the colors, and all those items that reminded me of it. Probably why I am doing this. I am headed over in a few days, doing 30 more yards of larger crushed rock for my very long driveway.Using 1 1/4" minus. Installing my latest signage.

I have ordered a full stencil kits in "State Park" fonts, be here early next week, it both sizes, includes numbers too. So no more free handing it for the most part. I need to set up my horseshoe sets, adults wanted a horsehoe pit, so I have the kit, need to build the sandboxes, import some sand and get the layout measurements. I may pre build the boxes here and just haul them up. I have more time than work, so I will have to make up work while I am there. My gravel truck wont be there till Wed, should of called him earlier.

I am done with my cabin, so I work on the surrounding land. I still have another 20 acres to fence off. Next year. Other items in my future, a storage container, in, you guessed it, forest service brown. :D

I'll bring my camera and take more pictures of all the improvements. Post when I get back.

NorthRick
# Posted: 3 Jun 2016 17:46

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I have ordered a full stencil kits in "State Park" fonts, be here early next week, it both sizes, includes numbers too. So no more free handing it for the most part. I need to set up my horseshoe sets, adults wanted a horsehoe pit, so I have the kit, need to build the sandboxes, import some sand and get the layout measurements.

I'd be afraid people would start showing up thinking it was an actual public campground.

Regardless, nice place you have there.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Jun 2016 19:36 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Rick, never happen. Nothing is visible from the road, its way deep inside the 40 acres. Its all fenced in with barbed wire, gated and locked and surrounded all the way around with No Trespassing Signs". You cant enter without seeing a sign.

The webpage also states:
We have always enjoyed the theme and color schemes of the USFS, state parks, we built the area up on that theme and incorporated their colors shapes and styles into our designs. But this is not public land, it is private land and is an actual working timber farm. We may incorporate some livestock in the future. But right now, our primary product is wood fiber. Its very well marked all around with no trespassing signs. Please respect those signs.

rockies
# Posted: 5 Jun 2016 18:16 - Edited by: rockies

Hi. I saw your plan and was intrigued. After fiddling around with it for a while I realized you had laid it out just about perfectly for your needs. Of course now that I check I see that the length is 18', not 16' Drat. Well, I guess that would add even more room in the kitchen. Did you ever consider using an outswing door? They are great for security since they can't be kicked in. I also decided to move the wood stove and use that one that was mentioned in the "FOUND" thread and mount it on the wall. That would save a lot of floor space too.

I was wondering though if you had a fridge (I don't remember seeing one). For myself I wanted a full sized fridge and the only way I could see fitting it in was to reconfigure the kitchen. I also widened the kitchen by 2 inches so that the bunk was a bit longer too (I'm 6'3).

I saw an excellent video on youtube where a guy had used an RV stove and set it about an inch lower than the countertop. He then built a wooden stove cover that would sit level with rest of the countertop to increase his work area when the stove wasn't being used. When he did want to use the stove the cover lifted off and went into the space behind the stove. I wish I could find that video again. What make of stove did you use?
Plan
Plan

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.