Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Bevis
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 21:47

String some treble hooks (Bigger ones)up on a tree limb and put tootsie rolls on them. When the coons climb out on the limp and get hooked, then just pop em when you get there.
Thats what we do here in Fla, with them always getting into things.

old buddy
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 22:39

Bevis...that sounds a little extreme. Im all for dispatching some pests w/ small arms fire, but I couldnt do that. God knows how long they would hang until I could get to them and I dont want to see anything suffer more than it needs to.
Anyways, OOB and myself are headed up this weekend to check pics and possibly start working on putting a window in. Im hoping the big boy from last year will surface sooner or later.

TomChum
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 23:02

You guys are having a great time. I'm happy and envious of the 3 generations all together. What a great thing it was to get this great land and cabin!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 28 Jul 2012 14:15

We're planning on going up to the cabin this afternoon with Old Buddy and my grandson. I'm sure that the road going up the hill will be rutted out pretty good from all the recent rains we've had in the past week. I just get to missing the place after awhile.....know what I mean?

Maybe we'll cut some more logs for firewood or for the fall firepit! Believe it or not we had a nice fire outside last week and it wasn't too hot for it. Our two grandsons kept it going with their own pieces of wood that they wanted to put in the firepit. They had a great time under our supervision.

I'm hoping that we see some new pictures of different deer on the game camera. I wouldn't mind seeing a few different animals on there. We'll let you know when we get back.

Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 28 Jul 2012 22:30 - Edited by: old buddy

Here's a pic of a dang beehive about 15-20 feet over the cabin roof. IT WAS ACTIVE WITH WASPS!! I hate getting stung. OOB tried his best to knock it down with an assortment of rocks and pieces of wood....all to no avail. He kept fallling short on his attempts...what muscle he has left is atrophying. lol
OOB did have a pic w/ two nice cruiser bucks on it, but it was slightly blurred. I had never seen them before. Maybe the word is getting out in the herd that we have a nice supply of corn and protein pellets.
Anyways here's the beehive.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 20:44

Going up the hill wasn't too bad on our last trip. The rains have rutted out the road pretty good but THE GOOD NEWS IS.....most of the mud has been washed away and we're down to a heavy content of rock base. We've noticed the past few months that the large ruts at the bottom of the hill....just off the hardtop road are gone! We didn't give it much thought for awhile and then it dawned on us....the ruts have been filled with "silt" from the hill washing down to the road. Instead of being like mud....it has more of the consistency of sand. Thus...more of the smaller and larger rocks have been uncovered and provide excellent traction. We stopped on the hill yesterday at about a 40 degree angle and let Old Buddy get out of the truck and unlock the gate. When he got back in, I just give the Ole Girl (Chevy) a little gas and we never slipped a bit! That would tell you how much rock content we have exposed now. We had rain about 3-4 times during the past week but it never affected us getting up the hill in the truck
Old Buddy and I don't really think of it as being too steep but everyone else talks about how steep and dangerous it is. I guess you can just get use to about everything if you do it all the time!

Old Old Buddy

exsailor
# Posted: 30 Jul 2012 13:00

That looks more like hornets than wasps. Be careful they can be mean if riled up. Even at night one is always on guard at the entrance of the hive. I had one on the side of my house one time. I saw the guard hornet, when I figured night was the best time to investigate. It depends on how high the hive is up there. Sounds like 20 foot plus to me. They make product called "hot Shot" think it shoots a pretty solid stream. If you can nail the entrance and get them as they come out you stand a better chance. If you want the nest gone a couple 12 guage loads of buck then bird shot should rip it to pieces. If you go that route make sure you do it just before you leave the area! LOL Once the hive is breached, birds usually clean out the hive pretty quick.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 30 Jul 2012 18:54

Exsailor...You're right...I did mean Hornets. The plan is some 12 guage four buck followed up with some low brass clay pigeon rounds...ANY YES we're gonna nail it, then vacate the area. lol

old buddy
# Posted: 31 Jul 2012 22:56

I had to chuckle when I stumbled across this pic on the net. Looks like this guy was experiencing the same problems with his feeder that we were. lol

oldbuddy
# Posted: 2 Aug 2012 18:52

Well....I've been "sketching out" our lean-to room. It will be just under 8'X16' built off the left side (as you walk out the cabin).
That way it will leave the wood-burner "almost" in the rear-center of the cabin. It will be an 8" step-down room for our bunk-house. That way we can put the kids to bed in the "bunkhouse and leave the cabin open so the adults can do "what-ever!

Old Buddy is pricing all the lumber for me but I already have the sheet metal for the bump-out. We'll build it on a row of four 6X6's. On the cabin it will be lag bolted to our existing posts. The frame will be 2"X8" treated and the floor joists will be treated 2"X6"s. We should have it roughed-in in a few weeks. I'm waiting on Lowes to offer their 18 month, same as cash offer they do once or twice a month.

I need to check with Old Buddy since he probably already has a pricelist for me! Gotta go.

Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 11 Aug 2012 08:51

Old Buddy and I are planning on going on the hill sometime today to spend the night for the first time in several months. It's suppose to be fairly cool today and night. Maybe we'll cut up some more firewood into logs to get ready for our splitting session this fall. Sleeping should be pretty good with the cool weather. I doubt we'll need the wood-stove but you never know. We definitely need to fill the feeder anyway.

Old Old Buddy

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 11 Aug 2012 10:55

I'd second the hot shot hornet spray. I had a nest about 12-18' on the peak of our garage at home. It was HUGE and the white/bald faced hornets coming out of it were nothing to mess with either! I was able to get under the nest (I know, a little crazy) and shoot a stream into the opening for enough time to saturate the lower portion enough that when they attempted to swarm out and attack, well lets just say they flew a couple feet and fell like the bullets Neo incapacitated in the Matrix series of movies. After that, I let it sit for a day and then knocked it down with a long pole.

BTW, I've experienced the same conditions on our short road at camp. The mud has been washed down, the sand is taking its place and leaving behind a gravel driveway! SWEET!

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 11 Aug 2012 11:05

I noticed in the one photo that you had galvanized pipe coming down a pole with a wound orange extension cord hanging beside it...Do you guys have power out there?

oldbuddy
# Posted: 12 Aug 2012 19:02

DaJTCHA
Yes...we have power...whenever we have the genereator fired up!

My best friend and I put that up early in the spring so that the grandkids wouldn't get so scared when it gets dark. We have only used it once, only because we haven't had the grandkids it a sleepover yet. They're building their courage

Old Buddy and I just returned from our sleepover. It was great! We had a fire going "outside" from 6PM last night until we left about an hour ago...to come home. The weather was perfect We got a lot of downed wood cut up and a lot of old cut up wood....stacked. I'lkl have to get Old Buddy post a couple of pics for you.

We went up with intentions of "sighting-in" our muzzle-loaders but we just couldn't stop workin! We truly got a lot done and had a great night last night. I think the low was about 62-64 degrees. Thus....no fire in the wood-stove.

My wife, Old Buddy's wife, my grandson and father-in-law
came up today about 2:30 PM and we spent about 3-4 hours just enjoying the day. It was a GREAT week-end!

Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 12 Aug 2012 20:46

Old Old Buddy didn't tell any lies...it was non-stop work. I wanted to sight in the muzzleloaders, plus a new 308 bolt gun...but it was all to no avail. Actually, I was glad we got the work done while it was cool out. We can shoot any time now that the porch is covered. We did relocate the wood piles because we're getting ready for the 8' x 16' addition. I'm really excited to build it, and I am just as excited to put in the additional windows on the cabin itself. It's just too dark in the cabin. Also got some weed wacking done, and I must say the place looked nice.
The new wood pile.

Enough to give us a good start for the hunting season.

Big Red helping out Pap and Daddy with the wood pile.

Nice new pile started.

Big Red, General Foreman.

Here are our stakes outlining the 8' x 16' bunkhouse.

The deer pasture. Looks like a mower cut it. lol

trollbridge
# Posted: 12 Aug 2012 21:03

An addition already???? That will keep you busy won't it! Glad you had a great weekend. How's your wife holding up?

old buddy
# Posted: 12 Aug 2012 23:56

She's doing well, thanks for asking. The due date is September 22nd...and it'll be here before we know it. She's doing really well except for the cramping and feet swelling. She's more tired of being pregnant in this heat more than anything. She can't come up to the cabin anymore because the ride up hurts her too much, she starts contracting/cramping...she does say she misses the campfires.

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 11:09

I'm glad overall she is doing well. Turned out to be a doozy of a summer to be pregnant that is for certain I understand about the ride up being uncomfortable...bumps are the worse!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 18 Aug 2012 22:01

We just got off the hill with "the gang." My daughter's children and Old Buddys boy was there, as well as my son-in-law and father-in-law.

My wife and daughter went out for "Girlie Day" and the rest of us went to the hill in TWO FOUR WHEEL DRIVE PICKUPS! Old Buddy and his wife just bought a real nice used F150 4X4 stepside Lariat Supercab.
Old Buddy took all three of the grand-children with him and I took my father-in-law and son-in-law with me. It was at least 10 degrees cooler on the hill then it was in town. What a great afternoon! Tony (son-in-law) cooked up some quarter-pound "dogs" and my wife had made up some home-made macaroni salad
Needless to say...it was a delicious meal. We even had a real nice fire again and the kids really seemed to enjoy them selves....even us adults. Old Buddy spent most of his time waxing the new (used) truck. It is a Hoss! It has a 3" body lift and 33" tires so it makes my Silverado look like an S-10
We checked the game camera and more of the same.Numerous does and fawns and a few bucks but nothing too big yet. I figure it will be at least Late November before we see the big boy again...hopefully.
Hope everyone is enjoying this cooler weather!

Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Aug 2012 22:47

Old Old Buddy-===glad you and the crew had a good evening up on the hill. I have been reading and catching up on your thread--new addition in the works--that will be so nice!!!!
Glad Old Buddy got him a new ride---pic's of this waxed and shiny beast on 33's!!!!!!!!!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 08:26

turkeyhunter
I'm sure they will be forthcoming! He spent most of the day on it yesterday. It's real pretty. Maroon and gold trim. He put a Delta toolbox he had been saving for about 13-14 years which he took off another truck and kept it in Old Old Buddy's garage (ain't it funny how parents store things for their kids for years?)! He had to buy a new slider with the ball for the towing receiver. It really looked good after everything was added and then polished....then waxed. His tires probably give him another 1-2" of ground clearance than he would have had with stock tires.

We found one picture on the game camera of another big-boy but it was taken at night and kind of blurry. It looked like at least ten points but we couldn't tell for sure but he was pretty wide and tall.

What have you been doing lately? Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 09:00

Quoting: oldbuddy
What have you been doing lately? Old Old Buddy

i ready to go check my trail cams today--/ do some food plot work with the tractor!!!! -spent the last month+ "UPta Camp" in Northern Maine----fine time was had by all!!!!! saw 7 moose, lots of deer & turkeys!!!!! and lots of small game. Got to get busy on my cabin this next week---archery season will be here before ya know it!!!!!!

old buddy
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 10:49

Well, Old Old Buddy and I went to Lowe's last night and purchased everything we'll need for the "bunk room". We're going to use 6x6 corner posts again like we did on the cabin itself. I AM NOT looking forward to digging the holes. lol Last time we dug holes for the the porch we encountered a lot of sandstone. We're hoping for easier digging this time time. OOB purchased two windows for the bunk room, two for the loft, and one big window for the back corner of the cabin. We're real excited to get 'r done. Pics to follow!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 30 Aug 2012 22:12

Old Buddy, Big Red and I just got back at about 9:00PM tonight from setting the two corner 6X6's in 30inch deep holes. It was the absolute worst digging to date

We probably only ended up with about a two gallon bucket full of "actual "dirt.....the rest was sandstone and shale of all different sizes and shapes. We only needed about 12" diameter holes for the best results, but we ended up with 20-24" diameter holes by the time all the rocks were dug out that were in our way. It took us right at one hour per hole with both of us switching off on the spud bar and post-hole digger! We put three 80# bags of sacrete in each hole so they were good and sturdy within minutes of putting them in the holes.

Tristin (Big Red) wanted a fire so Old Buddy started a nice fire and we sat around for a little bit and when it started getting dark we headed down.

TURHEYHUNTER.....I had those damn "crocs" on and wouldn't you know I didn't have the straps wrapped around my heel so I tripped backing up and fell over a piece of 3/8" rebar that we had driven into the ground about two feet high. It "ripped me" about a six inch gash on my right lower leg. I was fortunate to have my camera and did at least one photo of the injury. I swear those shoes are going to do me in...you'd think I would have quit wearing them by now, huh?

Anyway...the good news is...the posts are in except for a 4X4 midway between the two 6X6's. But the hardest part is done! Old Buddy will post our pics from tonight later. We heard a buck snort about three separate times probably 50-60 feet from us in the woods but we never saw him. I was probably cursing at the time and my voice carries (learned to wisper in a sawhill)

We talk to you all later...I ready for bed.

Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 23:48 - Edited by: old buddy

FINALLY...some progress pics! lol In the last few days, we've been trying to get 'r done. So far, we installed two more windows and have the posts and basic framework started for the bunkroom.
Just a couple of days ago. Got the corner 6"x 6"'s in.

Big Red entertaining himself by the firelight. All the logs laying here kind of reminded me of Devil Anse Hatfield's logging opreation. lol

Another injury suffered by a Crocs shoes owner...thankfully this time it wasn't me. I always tell Old Old Buddy to wear his heel straps but he doesn't listen. lol He tripped on his shoes and fell into a piece of 3/8" rebar.

Old Old Buddy and I taking turns digging out the holes. The corners took 1 hour each and were full of rock, the middle wasn't too bad.

This is what come out of the holes, we used it to fill in a rut.

This is where we ended the framework at today.

One of the two windows we installed. This is located at the loft. The breeze sure felt good coming in. It ws a humid day today.

Here's the other window located in the rear. It was needed badly, that corner of the cabin was really dark.

We had to take a minute to enjoy the new window.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Sep 2012 12:39

OB & OOB---fine work guys!!!!..the bunk room will come in handy when everyone is there during deer season. It's get so crowded when every brings in their gear.bags/gun and 3 pairs of boots..LOL

lots of rock ledge up your way!!!!!

looks great with the new windows!!!!!

OB---glad you got a pic of OOB working...i bet that was hard to do!!!!!
he will have a pair of camo crocs for deer season!!!!!!

nice looking camp you guys have!!!!!

old buddy
# Posted: 2 Sep 2012 14:42

Thanks Turkeyhunter...if you noticed the pic of OOB using posthole diggers...he still isn't wearing his heel straps and you can see how long the scratch really is. Yeah, it's getting there. When it's all done, I think we're going to use T1-11 siding for the interior walls and maybe put down a cheap floating floor or vinyl floor. I told OOB last night, "I can just picture the couch in there along with a recliner and nice table and chair set in the bunk room." It's always nice to dream. lol

Bevis
# Posted: 2 Sep 2012 15:37

OOB i'm with you. those heel straps are a pain, and I never wear mine like they were meant to be. At least you didn't impale your self on that rebar...that would've sucked big time. Addition is coming along.

old buddy
# Posted: 2 Sep 2012 19:23

Bevis
I swear every time I've tripped or fallen it has been because of not having my heel straps around them. Old Buddy gives me hell about it all the time. They really aren't good footwear for construction, anyway. I constantly have to remove them to "dump the sawdust out."

Last night we had a bad rain storm and I had taken a friend down off the hill before the storm and it came along about five minutes before I started back up the hill. I made the first hill with no problem but on the second hill I had to get four runs at it before I quit spinning in 4wheel drive. Coming down the hill a few hours later was even more exciting since we had another major storm come through after the first one. I came down on low range and in drive. It was kind of like being on a sled on an icy hill! It wouldn't have been as bad had I put it in 1st gear instead of drive but I just had a little too much speed coming down the steepest grade (about 50-55% I would estimate).
But we have never attempted going up the hill just minutes or even hours after a rain. I think it would have been fine if we had waited at least 24 hours to go up (or down).

Now that the framework is started for the bunk-house, I think it will go fairly quickly.....I hope so anyway! Thanks for the comments.

Old Old Buddy

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 4 Sep 2012 10:43

I feel your pain with "drilling" those post holes by hand. I did 9 holes to support our Shed-Mahal, by hand with the same tools. It took two outings and all but one worked out to about an hour a hole! It it wasn't enormous boulders on the top that I had to crow bar out, it was medium sized about a foot down. Then when I was in the 28-36" range, the heavy gravel, clay and sand battled me. UGGGGHHH!!!

Things are looking great though!

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.