Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
oldbuddy
# Posted: 2 Jan 2013 18:14

a_pyrkin
I was wondering.......do you have a program on your computer called "Google Earth?" I believe you can download it right from the internet.

If you do, you can type in a city and state or like, Moscow, Russia. After you type it in......it will show a picture of the earth spinning around until it finds the location you typed in and then closes in from miles above the earth. You can locate your cabin or the location where you live by looking at aerial photos. I have already located my cabin on this program....as well as my home. I notice several states or provinces which Russia is divided into, as well as several large cities around Moscow. I noticed Khimki to the north, Podolsk to the south, Balashikha to the east and Odintsovo to the west. Which way (direction) is it to your cabin? I would assume your cabin is several miles outside this ring around Moscow, correct?

Old Old Buddy

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 10:42 - Edited by: a_pyrkin

Old Old Buddy
I sent email to You

oldbuddy
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 12:49

a_pyrkin
Andrey.....

I tried to send you an email after receiving yours but it will not deliver to your web address.

Please type your e-mail address in the body of your letter again so that I am sure I'm reading it correctly. I've tried it twice. Maybe something is wrong with my computer. Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 13:38

a_pyrkin
I was looking at your map. It appears that you are fairly close to Gossiping, Verbilki?? I don't know what the scale of the map is...I'm just guessing. Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 14:55

a_pyrkin
I think I finally got it to go. Old Buddy had to show me where I was making a mistake in your address. Anyway.....I hope you got it and await your reply

Old Old Buddy

trumbull archer
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 15:34

Nice. I'm in the planing stages of my cabin, to be built this spring in SE Ohio. I'll be interested in seeing the finished cabin.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 17:18

trumbull archer
What area are you in....or county? We're in Jefferson County. Will you be on a hill or on level ground? I have to say it's a real pain getting to our cabin in bad weather.....but it's worth it

Old Old Buddy

Spencie
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 12:45

I finally took the time to go through your thread and pics. Great cabin. It's going to provide a few lifetimes of memories.

trumbull archer
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 13:39

I'm in Jefferson Co. also. Bergholz. Yea its tough getting to my place also.

trumbull archer
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 13:41 - Edited by: trumbull archer

Oh yea, its gonna be on a bit of a sloped top.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 13:54

trumbull archer
How big of a cabin are you building? We started with 12X16 and after the two grandsons, son and son-in-law got inside...it only took about a year to decide on the 8X16 bumpout. I'm so glad we did....I realize it's only about an extra 125 sq. ft. but it really seems much bigger and allows for a lot more room to move around and not get in each other's way.

I'll be following your build once you start it. Good luck Old Old Buddy

trumbull archer
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 14:20

12x16. Pretty much the same as yours. As yours, this will be a work in progress. Its basically my wife and I who will be spending the majority of time there, so the size should be fine. I've owned the property for 15yrs, and have been envious of the cabins in the area. Its and 1 1/2 drive from my home to my happy hunting grounds. Time to build!

Spencie
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 15:59

trumbull archer

Hey TA, do I know you from hunting forums?

trumbull archer
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 16:27

Yes, probably

oldbuddy
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 17:49

Spencie
Thank you for your comments about reading through the thread. Every once in awhile, I'll go through it (every few months) just to relive the process. I have been into several different things over the years (guns,motorcycles, muscle-cars,etc) but I have never been into anything like I am with the cabin. I am absolutely in a different world when I'm up there. It's nothing fancy but it's a shelter against the elements with a few creature comforts (wood-stove, propane stove,propane coffee maker). We have it wired but rarely take the generator unless we're working. When the boys get big enough to stay in the "dark woods" overnight I'll take the generator up and hook up the dusk-to-dawn light and inside cabin lights until they fall asleep. Other than that.....we don't need it. I'll be anxious to see your build. Be sure to take lots of pictures....you'll enjoy looking at them years from now

Old Old Buddy

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 20:13 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

You hear the expression that it is a small world. My family has lived in the same area Wolf Run,Berholz (I don't live there)and last year I inherited my Grandmothers house on the outskirts of Amsterdam. The house sadly is in such disrepair that we must tear it down.

Since we already have a cabin in Canada we decided to keep the land and camp. It has a lot of good childhood memories. It used to be really quiet around there when I was a kid. With fracking all you can hear are the water trucks on the highway.

Spencie
# Posted: 7 Jan 2013 02:02

oldbuddy

I have really enjoyed the work that we have done on the cabin and the property. I am out of my element on the cabin construction but I'm learning. Creating food plots has been a great relief from every day life. Im working on my 3rd plot right now. I have taken lots of pics and need to take many more. This site has been great for ideas, tips and suggestions.

old buddy
# Posted: 12 Jan 2013 18:30 - Edited by: old buddy

Here is some pics from OOB and Big Red's day on the hill. I would've went but I had to watch my little girl. The day's festivities included walking around the cabin, going to the target, eating their meal off of steel plates like cowboys, and taking a nap. It was 60 degrees on the hilltop, pretty nice weather for gloomy skies.
On a side note, OOB and I are already discussing maybe building off of the back of the cabin or the side opposite the bunk room to make the kitchen bigger. It would be nice to have a dedicated area to cook and eat in. I told OOB that I think "WE" should go off of the side opposite the bunk room and make it an 8' x 8' room w/ a covered 8' x 8' deck to shoot the long guns off of. He wants to build a kickout on the back wall of the cabin to the left of the wood burner. I think his idea would like something of Jed Clampett's, lol. He always likes to remind me of who funds the projects. I like to remind him of how hard it would be to build all of it by yourself.

OOB got a new Olympus SLR camera for Christmas, it has excellent zoom power. This is taken from about 255 yards away.

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 14 Jan 2013 07:59

Do you warmer than in Moscow
Nice pics

Spencie
# Posted: 14 Jan 2013 17:02

Looks like it was a great day for OOB and Big Red.

old buddy
# Posted: 14 Jan 2013 20:58

Spencie
Yea.....we sure had a good time, thanks. It was about 60 degrees but a fire sure made the cabin real comfy for Big Red to take a little nap. I just wish I had all four of the kids up there together at the same time

It looks like it will be till May before we take the truck up again. OOB

old buddy
# Posted: 15 Jan 2013 15:58

a_pyrkin
Andrey...
The temperature today, 1-15-13, is a high of 38 degrees. It will be in the 30's for the next several days. I'm planning on going to the cabin this Thursday or Friday. I like it there when it's cold. I love a nice warm fire

I'll answer your e-mail a little later this evening. I was glad to hear from you. What kind of SUV do you drive? Your tires are excellent tires for all -around use. I had the same tires on my Chevrolet Silverado. However, they are no good for going up the hill in the mud because the grade is too steep.. Therefore, I just park the truck at the bottom of the hill and take the Honda Foreman 4X4 We had a real good time (Tristin and I). He likes going with his Pap!

Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Jan 2013 13:24

Hi OOB... Mrs. Troll here. I just saw your question about our battens and called Mr. Troll at work so I can get your questions answered before I forget and leave for the weekend-going to the cabin and can not wait!

We used 1x6 treated lumber and cut it in half lengthwise. We screwed them on every 2 feet and then added 2 more between those (one just didn't look like enough). Some of those we fudged a little this way or that and ya can't tell.

We did pre cut a lot of them at home so we wouldn't have to waste time while at the cabin and they did not warp when laid flat on the garage floor in a pile. We did start out pre priming and painting them but that did warp them (and was a pain). They straightened out once we screwed them up but it turned out to just be easier to prime and paint after they were up.

Are you painting or staining your outside? A tip if you are painting: it is a lot easier to paint all your plywood first and then add the battens and go back and prime/paint them. That way you will be able to fly along with your rollers on the plywood without stopping at each batten-you also get paint behind the batten on the plywood.

The battens will dramatically change the look of your cabin, suddenly giving it a much more finished appearance...prepare to admire

You guys crack me up...thinking about adding on again!!! Why not combine both of your ideas and go out the side AND wrap around the back Now just think of the possibilities and all the things you could do with the space, lol!

Big Red is as adorable as usual I see...how's that cute baby doing?

old buddy
# Posted: 18 Jan 2013 14:24

trollbridge
Thank you so much forthe quick response Mrs. Troll. Your suggestion about painting the entire cabin first makes a lot of sense but to be honest I would have never thought about it. We will paint/stain the cabin first and then add the battens. DID YOU NOTICE IF THEY SHRUNK APPRECIABLY FROM THEIR ORIGINAL SIZE?

How far apart did you space them? It looks like about eight inches in between the battens??????

We just got back from the cabin. My wife bought me a metal log rack for the front porch and Old Buddy put it together and stacked the wood that had been on the porch in the rack. He also put up our new sign...you'll have to check back for the progress photos. LOL.

Yes......Big Red is absolutely adorable...as are our other three! He just can't wait to go to the cabin so he can pee outside with the men

I don't think our battens will be quite as wide as yours but we'll have to do some experimenting. The bunkhouse side won't take hardly any due to the five large windows but it will take about 80 lineal feet just to go around the windows in that room!

Thanks again for the quick comeback! Take care and have a great 2013!

Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Jan 2013 16:38

Nope, no shrinkage, and the battens are 8-9 inches apart. Remember too that a 1x6 is not really 6 inches wide so our battens aren't really 3 inches. You'll find the scale that looks "right" for your sized cabin. Enjoy!

simor
# Posted: 26 Jan 2013 00:07

Awesome design guys the end product looks great and I really liked how you posted step by step photos of your progress, hat is off to you and OOB! Hoping to get the foundation started on mine this weekend...

old buddy
# Posted: 26 Jan 2013 08:43

simor
Thanks for your comments. It's hard to believe we have been working up there (not necessarily building) for over three years now. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of going up today for awhile on the four wheeler. We have a fresh 4" snow on the ground.

I went up last Sunday and it was 19F outside and the cabin was 18F inside. It took me almost 90 minutes to get the inside warmed up to 70 degrees. I just love chucking wood in that stove

Where are you located? I guess that will have something to do with your timetable of getting the foundation work done. Good luck. Take a bunch of pictures!

Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 20:36

My grandson, Big Red, and I, went to the cabin today to spend a few relaxing hours. It was a good thing I took 100# of corn with us for the feeder because we would never have made it up the hill without it tied to the front of the four-wheeler. The snow was only about 5-6 inches deep, but it was layered on top of ice for most of the trip up the hill. We made it up without incident, Thank God.

The snow continued all afternoon with the flakes getting much larger and dense. It took about 90 minutes to get the thermometer up to 75 degrees. It was 25F when we arrived at the cabin and the snow was absolutely beautiful! We no longer arrived, put a brand spanking new battery in the feeder and I spooled out about a 20 second stream of whole corn. You should hear the racket it makes hitting the galvenized bucket. We walked back to the cabin and had four deer eating at the feeder within 2-3 minutes

I put a pot of coffee on and started a fire that I didn't think would ever heat the cabin up. I kept looking at the thermometer every few minutes (what's that they say about a "watched kettle never boiling")?I kept telling Tristin to keep his hands close to the stove to keep his hands warm. I fried us up a pack of hotdogs and snacks. I got some cute photos of the boy which his dad will put on the forum here maybe tonight or tomorrow.

I decided to leave about an hour earlier than I wanted to because the snow was piling up and I was afraid of how bad the hill was going to be,especially with Tristin riding down the hill with me. It was V-e-r-y slippery and I used 1st gear for the steepest parts and it still wanted to go a little sideways with me. But...we made it down with little problems and it was a good thing I left when I did. The roads had 2-3 inches of unplowed snow, and it wasn't slowing down. It's still snowing (four hours later). We have about 8-9 inches now.

When we left the cabin it was 75F. Too bad we didn't stay for the night More later.

Old Old Buddy

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 04:39

Hope to see Your pics

old buddy
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 16:14 - Edited by: old buddy

Well.....my grandson and I just returned from the "hill" today around 4:00Pm. The snow was coming down in large flakes! It was a real bear getting up the hill today with the 5-6 inches of snow on top of a thick layer of ice, covering most of the hill going up. Thank God I had 100# of whole corn on the front end giving me extra traction.

This is OB posting now...OOB can't post pics so I'm stepping in. The first set of pics are fom the last week of January.
Here's OOB's new sign.

Here's another Christmas gift that we finally got put together. Finally got all that dang wood off the ground that we had laying on the porch.

This coffee maker is real gem, it's a gas fired Coleman.. OOB's percolated coffee maker that only made three cups was going to clog up my kidneys w/ all the sediment in it. He said I need to toughen up. Seriously though, the new coffe maker is real nice.

Here are some shots from their trip yesterday. They had a nice amount of snowfall. A little slick going up and down the hill.

Big Red probably enjoying some coffee w/ Pap.

Big Red helping out w/ the corn.

OOB...always worried about the deer not having anything to eat.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.