Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
old buddy
# Posted: 4 Sep 2012 18:13

Thanks for your comments. Believe me......we are use to digging these types of holes. We dug 61 holes in Old Buddy's back yard to build a deck and also a privacy fence on four feet centers. Every stinking hole was full of river gravel. The kind of stone that is smooth and the color is either tan or dark brown and may be up to 7-8 pounds each! They're the kind of stones that "rattle the fillings in your teeth " when you hit them with a spud-bar We were fortunate to get them 30" deep. The rest of the job should go a lot easier.

Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 21:34 - Edited by: old buddy

Well, we made another trip up on the mountain today. We had enough time to get the floor trusses put in.
Here's a pic of Big Red supervising and Old Old Buddy on the side. OOB was working so hard and fast that all you could see was a blur.

Next trip we need to get the OSB put on the bottom of the trusses to keep the critters from tearing out the insulation. Hopefully we'll get the felt paper put on and the tongue and groove 3/4" plywood for the floor. Once that's done, the walls should go up quickly. sorry for the poor quality, but OOB dropped the ball and forgot his camera, so we had to resort to my crappy cell phone camera. More to come.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 21:46

looks great guys----you will really enjoy the more space!!!!!!!

old buddy
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 23:21

Saw this yesterday when OOB brought it down off the hill for me to see. He said...I think you oughta see this. OOB initially was thinking maybe a bobcat, but we've come to the conclusion it's probably a small coyote. It just about made my heart sink. I'm not sure that's what it is, but sure looks like it. What do you guys think? Time to get out the 308's because WE WILL shoot those things on sight! I could be wrong in my thinking, but as long as those things are around, I don't think the deer will be...at least not as much.

exsailor
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 08:46

The new bump out has a great start, and is going to be a good addition to your cabin. I would say definitely not bobcat. The tail is bushy and the fur has more of a course look about it. The ears and tail say fox to me, but it could be a coyote. My friends have a hunting camp around Greenbrier County and the coyotes are tearing up the deer population by taking the fawns.

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 09:34

My cousins dog got out and the coyotes killed it. They live in Amsterdam OH.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 10:21

I was gonna guess big fox as well. There seems to be a color variation between the body and the tail and the ears look pointed.

Kudzu
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 10:32

My guess is coyote, maybe you will get a few more pics and you will be able to see for sure.

old buddy
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 15:02

Well, the baby has arrived, Kelsey Lynn was born September 13th at 5:23 pm, she weighed 8lbs on the dot and was 21 1/4" long. we are very happy! I'll put up a pic later of Baby Girl and Proud Papa.

old buddy
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 17:07

Here she is w/ Daddy.

Here she is with Pap and Grandma, aka Mr and Mrs Old Old Buddy.

Here's the big brother!

He was quite taken with her, he's already showing a protective side at three years old...when the baby got her first bath from a Registered Nurse, she started crying...Big Red yelled, "Stop it!" I was shocked, but quietly proud of him...I know those feelings all too well myself. I too, am a big brother of one sister.

On a side note I bought Big Red his first real bow this past week, a Bear 1st shot fiberglass recurve. It's just a little 8-12 pound (draw weight) bow and we only shoot about 3-4 yards, but he's already getting the hang of it. I'll have to get some pics and post them.
Life is good, God Bless and take care. Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 18:47

Congratulations all of you! You have been truly blessed. Enjoy every minute with her...she will grow up fast.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 22:18

Congrats on the new addition to your family!!!!
Big Red has a little sister!!!!!!
fine family !!!!
looks like you might need to be adding another room on the other side as well!!
cant have too much room for all the family when they head up the hill to da cabin!!!!!!

old buddy
# Posted: 15 Sep 2012 11:13

turkeyhunter
Thanks for the kind remarks to Old Buddy and his family. She is a doll She should be coming home within the next hour or so. I'm patiently waiting! After she comes home I'm headin to the cabin with my son-in-law and our "other" two grandchildren as well as Big Red.

We only got the bunk-room just started and haven't done anything for a week or two. My wife and I went up last Sunday (I think)...just the two of us...even had a nice little fire in the stove. It was real romantic! She worked on her word search book and I took about an hour-and-a-half nap Not what most people would have pictured but it was absolutely heavenly.

Today we'll probably have a nice fire outside and a cook-out naturally.

Keep Old Buddy in your prayers. He takes his Nursing Boards on this coming Thursday (the 20th). He's about a wreck. Please keep him in your thoughts. He'll make an excellent nurse!

Thanks again for your comments Turkeyhunter.

Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 21 Sep 2012 16:35

Finally...........Great News

Old Buddy just found out this afternoon that he passed his Registered Nursing Boards! I can't tell you how relieved we all are at this point.It has been over three years since he started with his pre-requisite courses and now......finally......it is all over and worth every second

Today Old Buddy, Big Red and I took a load of construction material up to the cabin and it was right after he found out he passed. He said it was the first time he had come to the cabin and didn't have to worry about studying for an exam.

We are SOOOOOOOO proud of him. We hope to spend the day on the hill tomorrow working on the addition. We'll talk to you all later....
we're on our way to Pittsburgh to celebrate...family style!!

Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Sep 2012 17:04

Have a GREAT celebration!!! That is just awesome...the weight of the world lifted I'm sure! What a fabulous month- first a new healthy baby daughter and now passing the RN Boards!!!!! So happy for you

old buddy
# Posted: 21 Sep 2012 17:25

Thankyou,.....you can now call me Old Buddy, R.N. lol

old buddy
# Posted: 23 Sep 2012 21:46

Well, me and Old Old Buddy are whipped. In the last couple of days we have installed the underpinning osb floor, the R-19 floor insulation, the 3/4" tongue and groove floor, and the three walls. Hopefully next weekend we will have the roof put on. Here are some pics from the progress:

Yes, these are Old Old Buddy's feet under the cabin...NOT MUCH room under there. He stayed the course underneath nailing and screwing the OSB on.

Definitely not the place to be if you don't like close spaces.

Here's the R-19.

Old Old Buddy in another staged work pic for Turkey Hunter standing on the felt paper I had installed.

Yep, we're back to working under a dang tarp again.

Getting the walls started.

Old Old Buddy trying to make my job easier.

Here we are discussing measurement differences.

Until next time. Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 07:48 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

well Old Buddy RN!!!!! Congrats Bro on passing the test and getting all that behind ya!!!! proud for you and your family on that RN status!!!! My wife is a nurse. I get to hear all the nursing stories everyday!! Hard work but very rerwarding job!!!!!

back to the cabin~~~~i see the "croc mafia carpenter crew" is back at it!!!!! what are you guys doing wearing vest's.....it still summer!!!!!

And OOB is working under the floor~~~~ tight space for sure. Did you throw him a sandwich while he was under there to keep him going!!!!

The new room looks great!!!! get the roof on and you will be in the dry in no time!!!! keep up the good work ---!!!! TH

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 07:59

Congratulations on the new baby Kelsey. My Kelsey is 29.

Nice work on the cabin.

Owen

old buddy
# Posted: 29 Sep 2012 20:00

Another day of being whipped. lol Well, the roof trusses and plywood are on. We're hoping to get the remainder of the sheetmetal roofing and flashing by the middle of next week. It's coming together. Tomorrow, we're hoping to put on the treated plywood walls and put up the remainder of the window framing. Here's some of today's progress.
It's OOB's and my boss, checking our work.

Big Red checking on OOB.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 30 Sep 2012 07:20

Nice addition! I need one too. We have one room with 3 boys, want a master "suite" and a boy's bunk room. Don't have any help close by, so we'll probably have to hire out our addition. If my boys were a little older they'd have a ball building the add-on.

Looks like the work is moving along quickly.

old buddy
# Posted: 30 Sep 2012 14:37

SE Ohio
Thanks for the comments! The "bunk-room" will be a welcome addition but I have to be honest....at 61 I'm feeling it after working 11 hours last Saturday, 7 last Sunday and 9 yesterday. My son and I work real good together but we're both pretty wore out when we get done. He does better than me but he gets pretty tired himself. At this point I have to do it my myself....I can't afford to have it hired out. Old Buddy (my son) has been largely instrumental to us getting as much done as possible. The fact that I absolutely LOVE going to the cabin might help.
We were going to go up this afternoon but it has been raining and it is supposed to rain all afternoon soooooooooooooo.

Thanks again for your comments. Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 17:12

Well, we did make it up yesterday to get the plywood put on two sides and frame out all the windows but one. We run out of light yesterday and now we have to wait until friday/saturday to resume. Here's a few pics.

old buddy
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 20:23

Well, we got a little more done...the drip edge, felt paper, and all but the last piece of plywood for the walls. We're ready to put the roof on, but we're waiting on our cousin's break-bender to put the angle on the flashing we need. We got one of the windows cut out but not yet installed. Here's todays work.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 6 Oct 2012 10:36 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

Love the progress pics. Congrats on becoming a RN and the little one. I'm very proud for you!

I've got two concerns that I'd like to share:

1. Please consider painting the underside of the OSB insulation flooring as well as any exposed edges. It will swell, especially being that close to the ground.

How do I know? I had scraps (1/2 and 1/4 sheets) left over from our Shed Mahal project and we stacked them safely (or so I thought) under the cabin and upon several left over 4X6 beams off the ground. They were out of the rain and in a matter of months they had gained a 1/4" of thickness due to humidity absorption.

2. The roof slope of the bunk extension looks low. What is the angle and are you concerned with snow accumulation ice dam/water infiltration?

Sorry for the inquiry, I really enjoy your photos and progress reports!

Dajtcha

BlaineHill
# Posted: 6 Oct 2012 12:40

Thanks for posting so many pictures of your bunk room extension. It has been enjoyable to follow along. Aside from bunks, rooms like that keep the main cabin less cluttered by providing a great place for folks to dump their gear. I am sure you will enjoy it.

old buddy
# Posted: 6 Oct 2012 17:26

Here's pics from today's work. Four windows are in and all the plywood walls are on. We haven't yet decided on putting the fifth window in because it wood be right where we intend to put the bunks. Hopefully tomorrow we will have the roof on...at least that's the plan.

old buddy
# Posted: 6 Oct 2012 17:45

DaJTCHA
I appreciate your questions and comments. Now....to try to explain:

1. I thought about painting both floor bottoms AFTER they were both installed. The cabin floor is about 28" off the ground and I really am not too worried about it. The bunkroom floor bottom is only about 16" average. I don't even have enough room to swing a paint brush!
I hoping that the felt paper below the plywood floor but on top of the 6" insulation will keep condensation from disturbing the bottom of the cabin. Mainly though....the purpose is only for keeping the mice and rodents out. If I have to replace it some day....I'll have one of the grandsons do it

2. The slope is very slight. It drops 2 and one-half inches in eight feet. I realize that isn't much but I wanted to have at least 6'6" headroom at the lowest part on the ceiling. My plan is to have 12" flashing bent at about a 130-140 degree angle, slip about five inches up under the cabin roof and let seven inches lay over the new roof. I'm not worried about rain....just a large buildup of ice or snow but since it is steel and the largest part of rainfall is coming from a 12:12 pitch roof, I figure the water will be flying off the lower roof.

Plain and simple if we get a hugh snowfall....I have to clean most of it off. We haven't had one for 2 years so even if we're due...it won't be any problem standing on the cabin roof.

Both of your points are worthy of note and I have thought about the roof pitch for quite awhile. I'll have to let you know how she does.

Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 7 Oct 2012 16:32

Here it is finished for the moment. OOB and myself have put in a lot of work in the last couple weeks trying to get this bunkroom buttoned up before I start my new job tomorrow. We feel like a couple of whipped dogs. Anyways, here it is.

oky
# Posted: 7 Oct 2012 21:01

WOW!!! Dad the cabin looks really nice, I wish that we could leave closer so we could help you, however you guys had done and excellent job

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.