Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
a_pyrkin
# Posted: 8 Feb 2013 00:49

There is not so much snow near Your cabin.
Nice pics

George
# Posted: 14 Feb 2013 09:37

Great looking project Buddy.Hope you enjoy it to the fullest.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 17 Feb 2013 13:48

Thank you George for your comments. We are in the process of getting ready to go to the cabin with Old Buddy and my two grandsons. We're hoping to shot the .22 rifle today between warm-ups! It will probably be around 20F when we get to the cabin. I'm hoping to get some good pics of the boys enjoying them selves. Wish us luck

Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 20:18

Old Buddy, Little Buddy and I returned from the cabin this evening. We went up on the four-wheeler because the hill is too bad to use the truck. It was about 25 degrees inside and out. When we arrived, we found the door wide open which I thought was a bad sign. I walked in and found the broom lying on the floor and a roll of toilet paper lying on the floor and was almost smashed flat....but nothing appeared to be touched or missing. We are convinced we never made sure the door was closed completely when we left last week-end (or latched) and the wind blew it open and I believe a coon or turkey possibly was looking around for anything to eat inside. Thank God we always seal everything up and keep all cupboard doors closed. Anyway....I got a fire going right away and we spent the afternoon watching deer and turkey feed on the corn from the feeder. Tristin took several pics with Pap's camera which we will post later. We were only there for a couple hours so we didn't cook a meal. I did make a pot of coffee for Old Buddy and I. It tasted delicious

I recently had forty hardwood pallets delivered to my home by a friend to be cut up and used for the woodstove. Those will probably keep us in kindling for the next 1-2 years. It is unbelievable how hot it burns. Old Buddy has to fire-up the chain-saw and we'll get to that in the near future.

Hopefully we'll get the cabin painted in the spring and then start screwing the battens on. That will give it the "true cabin look." But first we have a bathroom renovation to do at Old Buddy's house
He has already started on it and stripped all the plaster and lath off the walls. Next comes the new wiring and insulation. I personally think the plumbing will be the hardest getting rid of all the cast iron pipe and switching over to PVC and getting it all connected. We'll see!

The feeder was still well over half full so it will last at least a couple more weeks. I don't know if I'll make it up there next week-end or not. I hope so.....I miss it when I'm not there. Later...........

Old Old Buddy

MJW
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 22:14 - Edited by: MJW

Quoting: oldbuddy
I recently had forty hardwood pallets delivered to my home by a friend

OOB, check this webpage out. You may find something to do with all those pallets besides burning them.

70 Pallet Projects

oldbuddy
# Posted: 4 Mar 2013 03:33

MJW
I woke up at 0250 hours and couldn't get back to sleep for awhile, so I thought I would check out the forum.
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea people were using pallets for so many things. It was interesting how so many uses a pallet can serve.

I am going to try to get back to sleep now but thanks again for the thought. Old Old Buddy

R9R Photography
# Posted: 5 Mar 2013 19:13

OOB, OB -

I have just found this forum as many others have, and I must say I have enjoyed every post so far! It's like having a second family!

My wife & I are going to start looking for some land next spring (2014), and ~2 yrs after that I'll be building a small 1-room cabin, no doubt to be expanded later. Thank you for posting your progress, both on the cabin and in life, as it reminds me (and I'm sure the rest of us), that this is not just a dream, but can be a reality

Can't wait to see the next addition!

-Randy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 5 Mar 2013 21:38

R9R Photography
Randy-
Thanks for your comments. I have really enjoyed the past three years that my son and I have "whittled out" a little cabin in the wilderness. I can't tell you how relaxed I am while I'm there with my family. Hopefully this summer we'll get the cabin painted and have the battens put on. I'm anxious to see it then. I have always taken lots of pictures and the cabin is no exception. We only have about 1/5 of the photos taken put on the post but I love to go back to page one every once in a while and reread everything. It takes close to two hours now!

Make your plans and stick to them. Once you break ground...it's all downhill from there

Whereabouts are you located? Just for your info......I was 59 when Old Buddy and I started clearing and cuttting roads for the cabin. The way I look at it....it keeps me young.

Good Luck with your plans.... Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 11 Mar 2013 19:59

Well, no new cabin photos to show, but while it's been ugly and cold we have managed to shoot the rifles some. I have a new edition...it's a Remington 700 Police in a McMillan HTG M40A1 stock. The glass is a Nightforce 8-32x56, the mount and rings are Badger Ordnance. My best three shot group thus far has been 7/8" using OOB's handloads. I was very impressed. OOB improved on his best three shot group slightly from 1 7/8" to 1 13/16".

oldbuddy
# Posted: 11 Mar 2013 20:03

I'm having trouble with the new photobucket...so far I hate it!

I'll try it again.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 11 Mar 2013 20:40

Forgot to mention I found this while walking just off the edge of the property on an old shared logging road. It looks pretty old.

Big Red enjoying the 72 degree weather we had yesterday.

R9R Photography
# Posted: 12 Mar 2013 11:05

That looks like a fun day! Can't believe it was that warm in March.

I'm in East Columbus (pretty much whitehall), but we're looking out east (Cambridge/Gurnesey Co area). I've got my books and a 5 subject notebook & graph paper for my planning

That old gas/oil pump is awesome! Isn't it amazing the things you run into.

Take care and keep us updated, I know we all love it!!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 12 Mar 2013 22:30

R9R Photography
It was a beautiful week-end! I'm guessing it was real nice in Whitehall too. Our daughter lives in Grove City but I'm real familiar with Columbus anyway. So.....you're looking in the Guernsey Country area to build your cabin, huh? Nice area...I worked in Cambridge in my last three years with the Highway Patrol back in 1999-2002. We lived in Barnesville and it was like 38 miles one-way to the facility I worked at. It seems like land is going to be real tough to find at a decent price with all the gas drilling going on. The biggest problem is that you probably won't be able to get the mineral rights with the land and then you have to worry about someone drilling a well on YOUR property that you won't receive any royalties on. Doesn't seem fair, does it? I have no idea what land would sell for nowadays.....without mineral rights. I would guess $3,000-5,000 an acre for uncleared property but I could be way off. Our land has a highwall about 35-40 high, over 1/4 mile long running just along the edge of a township road. The cabin is about 600 feet above the roadway surface in elevation and I would call it "hidden in the hills." It's back-woodsey but we love it! Good luck with your land search and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old Old Buddy

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 14 Mar 2013 04:42

You have great weather
I will not have anything like this until end-April

oldbuddy
# Posted: 14 Mar 2013 06:04

a_pyrkin
Andrey- I noticed that you sent me an e-mail yesterday (3-13-13) but for some reason I cannot open any of my emails from yesterday. Nor can I delete any. I don't know what's wrong with the computer. Everything else works. If you can...write to me on this forum until I can figure out what is wrong with my e-mail. Old Old Buddy

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 14 Mar 2013 08:38

Hi Gary!
No problem. I can resend email after problem will be fixed.
Or email me after this.
Are You ok? Hope, You have only problem with email, not something else

R9R Photography
# Posted: 14 Mar 2013 09:00

OOB -

I keep an eye on a few websites, just to keep up on pricing and availability...so far for 10 acres I'm finding between 30-40k range. Found a nice tract in Hocking Co too, but its 50k for 10.5 acres. We'd love that too but just will depend on what's avail next spring, and what the bank acct looks like.

And yes so far I have only seen a few properties with the mineral/gas rights selling with it. That stinks but I'm not sure there's much I can do about it. My wife has family out in Beallsville, one of them can prob help me figure it out - she does that for one of the gas companies so she'll know where to look.

Glad tosee y'all enjoying the cabin, still love your shooting range!

-Randy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 14 Mar 2013 18:59

R9R Photography
We just got back from the cabin. I took about 20 skids today after work with a friend. It's a good thing I had the skids in the truck or I probably wouldn't have made it up the hill. It was slicker than snot on a door-knob. I just about went thru the metal gate poles broadside and that's going uphill on about a 40% grade. It's just like the spring thaw!
I won't be going back with the truck for quite awhile. Old Buddy and his wife and kids went up Sunday and said it wasn't too bad but I forgot about that little snow squall we had yesterday morning. Heck...we could have had an inch or two of snow up there. Just enough for a greasy melt

So are you truly a professional photographer?

Old Old Buddy

R9R Photography
# Posted: 18 Mar 2013 12:58

OOB -

Right now the photography is a side biz, not enough to pay the bills as yet. Hoping it will get there soon, but we have a lot of other stuff going on that's not letting me build it like I should. But, my current job will help me build not only that biz, but the cabin as well in a few years, so it works out

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 Mar 2013 05:53

R9R Photography
I have taken thousands of pictures over the years. I love to take them but never really got interested in professional photography. I was probably too busy doing something else like you. I remember when my wife and I had only been married for about eight years, we had already taken and developed over 10,000 pictures. With the digital age it is so easy to take many, many pictures and then erase them later. When I fill up a 2Gig, 4 Gig, 8 Gig or 16 Gig card, I just store them in my safe and never erase them. It's nice to go back and stick and old chip in the camera and look at the photos from yesterdays gone by. Keep plugging away and before you know it, you'll be building the cabin of your dreams

Old Old Buddy

R9R Photography
# Posted: 19 Mar 2013 08:23

That is the plan!! I'm almost as excited to start my own build thread as actually doing the building. Almost lol

What do you think your guys' biggest challenge was?

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 Mar 2013 17:26

R9R Photography
DEFINITELY WAS GETTING UP THE HILL....and STILL IS! You almost have to travel up it to understand it. Naturally, the road is dirt/mud at times, therefore, we could only use the pickup about May through January (*if it was frozen). For two years we could only get to the area of the cabin build by walking or by 4X4 pickup if it was dry enough. We set the posts in the late winter of 2010 and then couldn't get back up to do anything for about five months. We did most of the build in July-September 2011 but didn't buy the Honda Foreman 500 until November of 2011. Once we got the four-wheeler.....nothing would stop us.

Try to picture driving 4/10 of a mile but going up nearly 600 feet in elevation over that short distance. That will give you some mighty steep hills Most of the guys I have taken up there minced no words about being a little bit scared because the roads were so steep. My cousin is scared to death to come down it...especially after a heavy rain. Like I said a few pages back to someone...."It's amazing what you can get use to!" But seriously....with the Honda...it's a breeze.

When I look at the cabin and think about all that material that my son and I hauled up there, I can't hardly believe we all of it with my pickup and the Honda.

Nothing was a challenge in building it. It was a lot of fun. I loved every bit of it. Having my son (Old Buddy) to prod me along a few times, helped, no doubt. It would not have been done without him. We have had an awful lot of good times up there. It wasn't until after this past summer that we would go up just to visit. Every other time was "to work."

When we went up this past Sunday all we did was drank a small pot of coffee and walked the land for an hour or so. Once you get started...you'll see that it will be a labor of love.

Old Ols Buddy

Fop23
# Posted: 21 Mar 2013 09:05

OB and OOB,

I have been following your build on here for some time and am very fond of the enjoyment that each step seems to have brought you guys. I'm about an hour away from you guys in Western PA, and I've been researching some land in eastern Ohio. If you wouldn't mind emailing me I have some logistical questions regarding geographic areas and restrictions that you may be able to help with. You can see from my sig that OOB and I share a similar career path. can email me at jrdupilka@comcast.net. Keep up the good work.

FOP23

oldbuddy
# Posted: 21 Mar 2013 19:25

Fop23
Thanks for the comments. I will e-mail you in a moment. I get the FOP...I just don't get the "23".......Old Old Buddy

R9R Photography
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 12:12

I'm just excited to get some land that will be MINE next year...then it'll be a nice weekend get away to camp or just go hang out or whatever.

Then get the cabin up.

Then look at having a nice log home built

As always keep us up with your goings on, it's an inspiration to the rest of us that aren't that far yet!!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 14:27

R9R Photography
My wife and I just got home from picking up our eight year old granddaughter and six year old grandson to watch for a week while they're on spring break. I think Garyn (grandson) and I will be on the hill today, but definitely tomorrow with Old Buddy's son for a day of "just having fun."

Our next project will be putting three steel beams in the ground at our property line to keep the coal company from infringing on our property. We'll stretch a chain across the beams to keep any kind of vehicle off our property. Since we are so far off the main road...who knows what they may try to get away with. We'll sink the beams about 30" deep with a couple 80# bags of sacrete in each hole. It will keep the honest people out....but that's about it.

Old Old Buddy

rheber8
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 15:22

I have to say this is one of my favorite cabins to follow. Love seeing the pictures and the way it has grown over the years. Wish i had a hunting cabin like this on my hunting grounds.

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 01:54

I admire this family
Good luck!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 08:03

rheber8
Where are you located? Thank you for the compliments. Do you have a cabin now or are you planning a build in the future? The cabin is a great place to go to with the family but it is still pretty crude. The interior isn't finished yet and I don't know when we'll get started on that. I think that the Fosson's Cabin, the Trollbridge Cabin, The Montanan's Cabin, Tim's Cabin and a couple others are absuloutely beautiful. I doubt ours will ever get to that point, but it will always be a great place to take the kids for a great time. I'll look for your post on the forum as soon as I send this. Maybe I'll answer some of my questions by myself.

After church (and the Easter Egg hunt in our backyard) Old Buddy and I will take both of my grandsons up to the cabin and fill the deer feeder. It's probably empty by now. The boys (six and almost four just love to go to Pap's cabin I couldn't be happier!

Again...thank you. Old Old Buddy

rheber8
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 08:28

No, no cabin yet. I live in louisiana. I hope one day to have a cabin on a piece of land, right now all I have is an office trailer that I have built with a big porch for our hunting camp. I love to take the family either there to relax or we go tent camping. I love all the cabins on his forum but for some reason yours gives me the confidence that I can build one of these one day and be super happy with it no matter how simple it is. I love your property around the place too. My coworker(79 year old man) and I(32) dream at work almost everyday of getting some land and building something like your place on it to hunt and bring our families. Please keep sending the pics of it.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.