Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
kiwibean
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 21:17

Just found this website and think this is amazing. I plan on doing the exact same thing this spring. With the possibility of an add on just like you did.

I was wondering if you could post pics of the inside showing the loft. I am interested in how exactly it was accomplished and what it looks like done.

Also do you know how much you have spent to date? Less the addition?

oldbuddy
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 14:17

Thanks for the comments Kikibean. If you look through the past pages you'll get a pretty good idea of how we attached the loft. We simply ran two 2"X8"'s horizontally across each wall with joist hanger brackets holding up 2"X8"'s spaced each 16 inches on center. We then screwed 3/4" chipboard down to the 2X8's. The loft is not being used for anything for now but a storage space. We just recently put a window in the rear which had been pre-framed (just as the window in the front). However, we haven't gotten the front window in yet. The kids will be sleeping in the loft when I have a guardrail and ladder completed. In the winter it would be impossible to sleep in the loft due to all the heat gathering up there. The bottom of the joists are about 6'8" high so it's not a problem for head-room.

I figure we have about $5,000 in the cabin, $1,000 in the porch and $2,000 in the 8X16 build-on room. I think I like the add-on room the best. That's where we slept this week-end Friday and Saturday night. Anyway....we have about $8,000 total but nothing is finished inside....just insulated. But....I still love it!

I'm happy to answer any questions I can. Good luck on your build and please share your photos.

Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 21:11

Well.....Old Buddy and I are getting ready for the two-day trek to the cabin tomorrow afternoon for the first two-days of gun season. Guns are cleaned, new primers and powder purchased and the smoke-poles are ready for action!

This year is a lot different from last year. We haven't seen near as many large rack deer this past year so I don't know if we'll do any good or not. It goes without saying.....we'll have a goood time whether we get one or not.

It seems so unusual lately going to the cabin but not working on anything. It isn't that there aren't things that we could be doing....we're just finally enjoying it without the worry of working on it. I'm still looking for a propane stove for sleeping only.

I may go out to our blind northeast of the cabin about 150 yards and sit with a small propane heater for a few hours. We'll talk to you after the big hunt!

Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 09:28

good luck on your hunt...keep us posted....

oldbuddy
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 18:29

turkeyhunter
We come up empty Turkeyhunter. Bad luck all around!

I swear this was the first time since we have had a feeder that I didn't see deer all weekend long. There must be a giant bulletin-board written in deer language that says "Gun Hunting in Ohio Starts November 25th for one week! All Deer beware!!!"

Old Buddy and I had a great time, ate like kings but come up short.
And if that wasn't bad enough....we're having trouble with the muzzle-loaders going off each and every time. Mine is more like a flint-lock with about a 1/2 second delay between the trigger pull and actual "bang." Old Buddy's only goes off about half the time but it goes off right away when it goes off. His is a Thompson Center and mine is a Winchester Apex. The primers are brand new 209 muzzle-loader primers, the powder is Buckhorn 209.Got any suggestions?

PS I cleaned the primer plugs with G-96 before we went hunting. Could the G-96 be the culprit?

Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 18:35 - Edited by: old buddy

Well, we come up short handed this time. Didn't see any bucks and OOB and myself saw a total of 5 over two days...really disappointing but what can you do. The main thing is we had a great time, regardless of the deer situation. I had to wonder if all the mining that has went on behind our property, about a half mile away by the way the crow flies, had affected the area. I really wanted to see the Big Boy from last year, being that I had a brand new TC Triumph .50 cal smokepole ready for him. I looked at my deer pics from the last two years and the only time I ever got pics of him was after the first week of December...maybe there's still hope.
We were happy that all of our recently split cherry firewood burned w/o any issues. The fire never went completely out, and we only had to get up once a night to keep it around 70. We were pretty snug in the cabin. OOB was sacked out in the recliner and I was stretched out on the couch. Much better than the plywood-soft cots we used last year. lol
Here is a pic of the only nice buck wandering the property this year...unles the Big Boy comes back.

Here's OOB talking to Mrs OOB. He bought a couple small hurricane lamps from Tractor Supply on sale. They definitely helped out.

Here's the temp toilet setup that worked out better than the chair-potty.

Almost bed time.

Sidenote to Turkeyhunter...While unloading the truck today, OOB dropped my TC, while in the riflecase, almost four feet to the ground. I had it on the tailgate of the pickup and he claims to not have seen it. Remember last year before my hunt he knocked my crossbow on to the ground and it landed on the scope. Hmmm... Im starting to wonder if OOB doesn't want me to get the Big Boy. lol
Anyways, better luck to us all in the remainder of our seasons.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 19:43 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

OB---think OOB---is making sure you dont get that big buck this year..and the mishap with the cross bow last year.
.....LOL
i can't complain this year....i got a 855# ( 728 lbs field dressed 13point moose ) and i got a 11 point buck on my farm....i passed up 5 -- 8 point or better bucks before i shot mine on Nov 1) saw lots of small bucks this year as well...I hope ya'll get on them later this season...GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!!...and btw--clean bore /clean nipples...on black powder...i use Tripple 7 powder ( pellets) and 777 209 primers,...i have 5 ML...and use a Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter most of the time...2 pellets and a 209 primers---( i also used the TC Encore for my moose---put my 300 mag barrell on it --with reloads...
ps--great trail cam pic!!!!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 11 Dec 2012 19:20

Well.....Old Buddy and I and my grandson tried to get up the hill on Sunday afternoon after about three days of rain. Old Buddy loaded 150# of corn on the four-wheeler and Tristin and I attempted to go up in the truck. I'll tell you.....that was the slipperiest I ever seen that hill. It didn't help that a down-pour came up just as we were driving up to the property turnoff from the hardtop road. In the end...Old Buddy took all the corn up to the feeder and Tristin and I waited down below in the truck. After about three attempts in the truck and sliding down backwards, I give up on it. On the last attempt I was backing the truck in a downpour and was trying to get onto some leaves to clean off the tires and got her over to the left too far. I was pulling ahead and I felt the rear of the truck slowly sliding toward the hillside on my side. No fear of going over the hill....there were way too many trees to hit first. I stopped when I realized that my condition was worsening. The truck was definitely leaning toward the hillside about 10-20 degrees. Old Buddy came through! With the weight of the four-wheeler, the 150# of corn and his weight, he was able to pull me up onto level ground with the Honda

I'll never try that again! I couldn't believe how slick the hill was. Old Buddy says if I had "mudder tires" I would have walked right up it. I just don't see myself buying them for once or twice a year. I'll leave it at the bottom........like I should have in the first place.

Old Old Buddy

CampWV
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 19:12

Glad it all worked out well. Those 4-wheelers can do a ton of work (and tow more than one would think). Stay safe and have fun.

Love the cabin, btw. Need to take the time to document my own build here (its almost "done") at some point. I've really, really, enjoyed reading your story over the past year or so.

Keep up the great work!

CampWV
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 19:13

Not "here" as in your thread however

oldbuddy
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 20:37

CampWV
Whereabouts are you located? I'd like to see some of your photos. This forum has been a lot of fun for my son and I and a few of our friends. If you're not on it yet....think seriously about it. I'd love to hear from Hillbilly anytime. I was born in Wheeling, WV but my mom shipped me back across the Ohio a few days after my birth

Old Old Buddy

exsailor
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 12:46

Old Buddy,
One of the last times I was out with my Lyman Plains rifle I had a hard time getting reliable ignition. It is a traditional percussion. The night before I had cleaned it and oiled it heavy. I didn't pop any caps on the nipple, and had to prime the drum several times through the shooting until it settled into reliable ignition. I am guessing your G-96 is the culprit. It fits what I have experienced that day and in the past. Usually I pop several caps to dry out the drum and barrel, but didn't that day.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 21:05

exsailor
I appreciate your feedback. One of my buddies told me to keep my G96 in a different room from where I load bullets or clean "muzzle-loading" rifles. I guess G96 is great for everything except muzzle-loaders and gunpowder.

Thanks for the tip. Old Old Buddy

CampWV
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 21:52

It is really close to Fairview, WV. About 45 minutes west of Morgantown (or an hour or so south of Wheeling).

I'll figure out the uploading photo thing this winter and drop a note here when I do. Have not join in here yet but I certainly will. Everyone has great stories and wonderful cabins.

Enjoy the Season!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 22:49

CampWV
Thanks for the info. I was just in Morgantown on Monday at Ruby Memorial Hospital with my wife. I love that area......especially south of their around Summersville and Flatwoods.

Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 18 Dec 2012 14:56

Well, the extended gun season came and went. No luck again and to top it off, part of my TC Triumph broke. On a better note, OOB scored all the wood we need to do the battens this year coming. All we'll be concentrating on is getting the battens up, painting the cabin, and maybe building two box blinds. All I hope for now in Muzzleloader season is that I get to see a buck, any buck. lol

oldbuddy
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 07:55

Well...here it is December 22nd, 2012. I guess someone will have to come up with a different date to end all things. Isn't it amazing what the media can do for everyone?

It's colder than a well-driller's behind this morning, but sometime today Old Buddy and I are going to the cabin to to put new batteries in the game camera,maybe pick up a 100# of corn and sit in the cabin for a few hours and relax. I would love to stay overnight and wake up to about a foot of snow! That would make a beautiful picture. Cabins just seem to have more allure with a warm fire on a cold day

If I forget to tell ya'll, have a very Merry Christmas and holiday week!

Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 09:22

Merry Christmas OOB and OB....
went down to my cabin yesterday--built a fire and drained all the water pipes....turned on my Christmas lights....hung a Christmas wreath on the outside and reflected on the past year....one of my friends called and said what are doing???....i said having a party for ONE!!!!LOL
~~~~~after about 10 days of Christmas shopping....holiday parties /etc~~~it was time to relax for a few hours.......good times....

oldbuddy
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 19:58

Well, we made onto the hill w/ snowfall on the ground. It was more like a dusting than actual accumulation, but it was nice to look at. OOB, my brother-in-law, my nephew, my and me, all went up. The road is unpassable by vehicle now, but the atv keeps making it. It took three trips to get everyone up there, but it was worth it. We were able to watch 4 does at the feeder on and off for the better part of an hour. The boys had a good time, as did the men. I took a couple of pics of the cabin at a distance. Feels like the Holiday season with the snow on the ground. I have to agree w/ OOB, a warm fire in a cabin on a cold day (especially w/ snow on the ground) is something to behold. I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas. Take Care

Here are the boys before our descent down the hill. it was in the 20's, but the wind chill on the 4-wheeler makes the ride a little nippy.

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 14:49 - Edited by: a_pyrkin

Nice pictures, oldbuddy
Merry Christmas!
Andrey

oldbuddy
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 14:02

a_pyrkin
Thank you Andrey and a Merry Christmas to you and a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year!

Do you have a cabin in the works or are you just "visiting" the site?

My wife bought me several things for the (stainless cookware, plates, cups, bowls and silverware) and my son and his wife bought me a real nice 12 cup propane powered coffee maker My wife also bought me a real nice redwood sign for the cabin entitled "The Hawk's Nest- Elevation 1168 feet." I really like ANYTHING I GET FOR THE CABIN
Have a great 2013!!! Old Old Buddy

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 13:20

I live in Moscow, Russia. My small cabin near Moscow.
It's my small cabin
IMG_20121202_095730..jpg
IMG_20121202_095730..jpg

oldbuddy
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 14:34

a_pyrkin
Nice looking cabin! I'm sure you need to have a great deal of wood stocked up. The snow makes it look so cozy

Are you close to Siberia? I remember my wife and I watching "Wild Russia" on the National Geographic Channel on TV and I could not believe how beautiful Russia is. I always had a picture in my mind of a very cold country but found out that Russia has four very different areas. I thought it was probably the most beautiful country in the world. All of your wildlife is found in North America. You call Elks what we refer to as Moose. I thought that was interesting. What do you call Elk in Russia? In case you didn't know....elk in North America look like deer on a giant scale, weighing more than 800-900 pounds with massive large antlers similar to deer only a lot larger.

I have to say I've never talked to anyone from Russia before but I enjoy it! Is your cabin 12X16 or close to that? It looks close to our cabin except our porch is open. Where are you hiding your wood pile?

Are you from Russia or did you move there from somewhere else? Again, it's been nice conversing with you. If you were born in Russia, your Engish is excellent! I'd like to see some more photos of your cabin. Stay in touch

Old Old Buddy

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 06:15

Much thanks Old Old Buddy
I born in Russia and live not close to Siberia.
Unfortunately my English is not so good as I want
"...I thought it was probably the most beautiful country in the world...." - I think the same about United States, it's Great country.
In Russian elk called los'.
My cabin is approximately 19x19, it looks close to Your cabin that seems me excellent
My wife asked me to make open porch... For tea, coffe and I agree also for beer... Next time I'll post some more pictures.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Andrey
map.jpg
map.jpg
Moose_superior.jpg
Moose_superior.jpg
IMG_1747.JPG
IMG_1747.JPG

oldbuddy
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 16:55

a_pyrkin
I was looking forward to your answer. Thanks so much for writing back.

How cold does it get at your cabin in the winter? How warm does it get in the summer? Do you live in your cabin or do you have a home also?

When I saw the picture of your cabin, I wasn't thinking it was in downtown Moscow. How far is your cabin from Moscow?

WHERE IS YOUR WOOD PILE? I am anxiously awaiting more photos from your cabin and site.

I live in the eastern part of the United States in the State of Ohio, which is located directly below Lake Erie. In the summer it can get close to 100 degrees farenheit and in the winter in can get below 0 degrees farenheit.....but very seldom. As you may or may not know...there are 50 states that make-up the United States. 48 of the states are within our border between Canada and Mexico. The other two states are Hawaii and obviously, Alaska.

I wonder if you are ahead of us or behind us in time and how many hours difference?

You need to create your own site on here and post your pictures along with a narrative of your build. I am very interested in learning a lot more about Russia from you. I would be happy to answer any of your questions about the United States!

Your friend Old Old Buddy

dfosson
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 16:51

Happy New Year oldbuddy! From one Ohio cabin owner to another.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 17:50

dfosson
Same to you and yours. I'd love to be at the cabin right now but I've been fighting a terrible cold (throat and chest) for a week now. Old Buddy is at the cabin with his wife and little boy. I would love to be there but I want to get better....so I have to stay inside.

Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 22:01

Well, it was a nice day on the hill for Big red, Mrs Old Buddy, and myself. The snow had drifted on our access road making passage on the four wheeler even a little difficult. Here are some pics from the day.

Mrs Old Buddy waving from the porch.

My little buddy w/ his first shed find.

He was tuckered out after all the excitement. lol

Turkey Hunter would appreciate this.

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 2 Jan 2013 15:41 - Edited by: a_pyrkin

Nice pictures!!!
And snow not less than in Moscow now

Dear Old Old Buddy.
My wood pile lying outdoor near my cabin. Is not visible on pics. I use briquettes of compressed sawdust instead of wood in winter. Climate near Moscow not much different from your. A little colder in the winter. Sometimes more snowy. Now near 30 degrees Farenheit.
I am ahead of You in time and hours difference is 9 hours. My cabin at a distance of 60 miles from Moscow. Life in Russia is very different from life in United States. It seems to me sometimes, that we live in different planets Little example: much goods I prefere to buy on eBay, than in Russia...
I'll start new topic and we'll speak about it more. I have much questions...
Your friend Andrey.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 2 Jan 2013 16:40

a_pyrkin
Andrey.....It's 30 degrees Farenheit here as well. Are the briquettes of sawdust more efficient than wood logs or are not permitted to cut down trees whenever or whereever you want on your property. As I am writing this, it is 4:00 in the afternoon (1600 hours military time). If our time difference is nine hours, it must be 1:00 in the morning or 0100 hours, military time....as we call it. In other words....you are probably sleeping as I type this message.

A little personal info for you. I am 62 years old, have been married for nearly 39 years , have a son (Old Buddy) 37 years old and a daughter 34 years old. I have four grand-children.I retired from Law Enforcement over 10 years ago but still work part-time as a Federal Court Security Officer....protecting the Judges/Employees of a nearby Federal Courthouse. I've had several hobbies over the years but "going to the cabin is my favorite." I have always enjoyed automobiles from the 1960's and 1970's called "muscle-cars." They are typically smaller lightweight cars with "big engines." Motorcycles have been another passion of mine for years. I still have a 1968 Harley-Davidson that belonged to my father before he passed away. Also, Old Buddy and I love to shoot firearms.....normally bolt-action rifles and hand-guns.

I'm anxious to hear more about your likes and life in Moscow. How many people live in Moscow (probably millions). If you do not feel comfortable answering any of these questions...please tell me.

If you have already read our entire 14 pages of postings it will give you a pretty good overall picture of what Old Buddy and I have done in the past three years. I was wondering if you understand everything I write or do you have to get someone else to translate anything?

It amazes me how people that live in another country that do not speak English as their native tongue....can speak English...like you

Please feel free to ask me anything you want and make your post as long as you want....the longer the better for me. If you feel comfortable giving me your e-mail address I would be happy to exchange information that way. My e-mail address is:

tweldon55@yahoo.com

Again, I anxiously await your reply. I have enjoyed talking with you.

Your Friend......Old Old Buddy

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.