Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
old buddy
# Posted: 7 Oct 2012 21:18 - Edited by: old buddy

oky
Thanks for the comments Tony
I think the kids will really like it because they now have another room to run in and out of! I better oil the hinges on the outside door!

We really got a lot of work done in the past three week-ends. I was sooooooooo happy to get the flashing on and new metal roof completed today (in a light rain). Just in time.

We'll go up the next time you come in. Have Gar bring his .22 with him so he can get some shooting in. It will sure add some new room to the cabin (for more stuff)! Dad (Old Old Buddy)

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 8 Oct 2012 11:24

NOW THAT'S A CABIN!

old buddy
# Posted: 8 Oct 2012 13:56

DaJTCHA
Thanks.....I have to tell you that it was a B-I-T-C-* getting the flashing up under the roof of the cabin at a 12:12 pitch. Old Buddy and I finally got it up under the full five inches and at that steep of pitch...I really don't see anything getting between the two roofs. We had two ten foot long pieces of flashing that only needed to cover 18 feet so we just overlapped two feet and put silicone between them. It actually looks like more of a pitch with the sheet metal on...but it's just an optical illusion. I worried about the low pitch but putting five inches under a 12:12 pitch roof is a lot safer than say...putting five inches under a 4:12 roof.

We're real happy with it. We have busted our "behinds" for the last three week-ends. As I was finishing up the roofing job it was lightly raining. Just in time

Old Old Buddy

Jared
# Posted: 12 Oct 2012 21:43

Are the 6x6s exposed inside the cabin? I've gone through the pics (love them) but kinda petered out on reading stuff. LOL

old buddy
# Posted: 13 Oct 2012 09:23

Jared
Yes they are Jared but we plan to cover them with another wood product when we finish the interior. I know you are not suppose to have direct contact with PT wood for an extended period of time but since we've only stayed overnight on 3-4 occasions, I wasn't overly concerned. We will cover it all when we finish off the inside (hopefully within the next year).

Thanks for your comments. Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Oct 2012 19:44

OOB & OB---place looks great!!!!! I have been up in Maine on a hunt, just got in and checking your build thread. I think the bunk room with be real handy with guests and grandkids!!!!! Fine job you guys have done on it.
BTW--OB--hope the new job is going good for ya!!!!

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 13 Oct 2012 22:01

Sort of different. We are finishing off this and boy do they look alike..Good choice btw
P7150059.jpg
P7150059.jpg
P5230041.jpg
P5230041.jpg

old buddy
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 16:31

Cooks Dock
It sure does resemble it! Where abouts is your cabin?

What are your dimensions? I like it. Is that cedar wood on the outside?
Looks like you're planning on a deck just outside your sliding-glass door. Do you have a site on this thread? Let me know....

Old Old Buddy

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 09:43

Morning. Manitoulin Island Ontario. 24X16, started as 12 and then we doubled, similar to yours. It's pine barn board on the exterior. Finished a wrap white cedar deck this September.
As far as a site, nope, never really thought about it. Am now sorting out pic's as I have recorded start to present.

old buddy
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 19:04

Just got down from the hill a few hours ago. I took the Mrs. up with me. She did her "word find book" while I insulatd all the vertical sections of the bunk-room. The ceiling will go very quick but I didn't think to get a mask for my mouth and nose and decided to wait until I do. I was originally thinking that I would have to remove nearly half of the interior wall (eight feet) but after I got a fire going today the interior of the bunk-room went from 50 degrees to 70 degrees within about an hour. And that's without any insulation in the ceiling. The only opening from the cabin into the bunk-room is the width of a 28" window Old Buddy and I took out yesterday. We just used the chain saw and after removing the window Old Buddy cut the wall on each side all the way down through the floor plate.I think I may have to reconsider how much of the wall I want to remove. I realize it isn't real cold out yet, but even so, most heat goes up through the ceiling. We sealed up all the windows and cracks with the liquid styrofoam and I mean to tell you...you could hear a mouse fart in that room now!

I may go up tomorrow after church to finish the ceiling. I cut up about eight hard-wood pallets (oak) today with my circular saw and want to take it up as well. We use it for starting the fires in the wood-stove and it really burns hot......real fast though. It's nice to use to get the fire going and then put some larger stuff on. We saw two big turkeys and two does at the feeder munching on the corn. I just filled it with 200# today. More later..............

Old Old Buddy

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 20:45

And me, I'm at the kids place insulating, drywalling their garage! Not my cabin!!

old buddy
# Posted: 21 Oct 2012 08:31

Cooks Dock
If your kids live in Ontario or close by, I'm sure insulation is one of the best investments you can make in home-building. Are homes built with 2X6 walls, generally speaking in Ontario, as opposed to 2X4 walls down in the south (ha!)? It would seem that the price of the lumber would pay for itself in just a few years in extremely cold winters.

Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 21 Oct 2012 19:37

Well, we're all sealed up. We added an additional window and made our doorway even bigger. As soon as we have a couch and a couple of recliners...it'll almost be perfect. I told OOB today after we were done, "I'm done working here for a while."...I need to go up just to relax or hunt for a while. We've got some wood left to cut and split, but our goal was to get this room finished before I started working and before gun season. It worked out perfectly. It's done, except for covering the walls, but I can live with it the way it is for a long time.
Here are some pics.

The best seat in the house. lol Direct view of the feeder.

OOB and OB posing with a family heirloom.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Oct 2012 07:33

OB & OOB--fine job on the new room--like the view from the nice comfey chair at the feeder.........you have a lot more room with the new addition.
I have stopped all work on my cabin untill after deer season....the rut is getting close!!!!!
Fine job Guys!!!!!

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 22 Oct 2012 07:41

Seconded..good job boys...enjoy!

Anonymous
# Posted: 22 Oct 2012 10:21

Awesome! I love it!

Can I make a suggestion, and I apologize because I'm known as the guy who can never sit still and the slave driver (usually driving myself to pure exhaustion), I would install jackstuds on either side of the door, widen the entrance bevel you created in the doorway so as not to hit your head on the way in and paint the entire exterior before the snow comes! Paint would be the priority if it were my cabin unless you guys are choosing to cover it with something?

I nearly spit my coffee out on the computer when I read, "you could hear a mouse fart..." LOl!

Dajtcha

old buddy
# Posted: 22 Oct 2012 18:59

DAJTCHA:

Old Buddy and I were discussing putting double-studs between the opening for added strength. As far as the bevel needing to be widened I agree with you, however, we didn't put the bevel in for the new room. Due to the fact that we had an early-on engineering mistake, we haphazardly installed the cabin windows before we measured to see how far the eaves of the roof overhang extended. Consequently...the eave on the side that we photograph all the time extended about two inches down past the top of the window. THUS....the bevel. We'll probably put a new piece in now and extend it all the way across the opening. Either that or paint the area of concern with diagonal stripes of alternating yellow and black stripes

We would like to get it painted this fall but since it's treated 3/4"...I'm not real concerned if it doesn't happen. We still want to put battens on the outside about every 12 inches, around the windows and to separate the top from the bottom.

Thanks for the comments though. Do you think double-studding the opening will be sufficient??

Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 21:23

Old Buddy and I took Big Red (my grandson) up to the cabin this morning as it was lightly raining. It was about 49 degrees and we got a fire going as soon as we got there. We went up yesterday and took a couch and a chair up with us. We waited for the rain to lessen a little and all three of us went outside and cut up about six trees that I had drug up the cabin this summer with my truck, after cutting them down. It took us about two hours with Old Buddy using the saw and me (and my Little Buddy) carrying the logs to a pile beside the cabin. Four of the trees were cherry and the other two were unknown. Anyway...we got a lot of work done in the rain. When we were done we went inside and Big Red had to lay down on Pap's couch for a two-hour nap! Needless to say....we have more than enough wood for this winter....now all we have to do is to split it.

The cabin was real comfortable with the stove going. We had hoped to see some wildlife at the feeder but I guess we made too much noise. The hill was slicker than "mole's hair" coming down in the truck. It's a little tricky negotiating the steepest grades in the rain. Just aim it and hold on

Old Old Buddy

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 28 Oct 2012 20:46 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

Quoting: old buddy
Thanks for the comments though. Do you think double-studding the opening will be sufficient??

Upon further review: If it were me, I'd measure the height of the current setup from the bottom of the doubled up 2X4's to the bottom of the top plate. I'd then rip out the double horizontal 2X4's and the cripple studs and fill in that gap with doubled up vertically placed 2X (whatever that measurement was from step one) and then install a couple of jackstuds to keep the newly created header in place. That's what I would do...

Dajtcha

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 17:18

OOB, that addition MADE the cabin. It looks airy and spacious now. Crazy what a few windows can do.

I hope ours looks as homey. I love that deck. Our porch is gonna look small in comparison, but it will eventually be a guest cabin after all. Now when the permanent cabin goes up I am thinking bigger is better

old buddy
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 20:14

Thank you for the compliments. We really like it too. Last week-end Old Buddy (my son) Little Buddy (his son) and I sat in that room during a nice rain and Little Buddy fell asleep on our couch for a two hour nap! We had been cutting wood steady for two hours and the rain finally got the best of us. We had the wood-burner going and it was very comfortable.

The windows for that room are 32"X54" and my cousin found out that I had purchased brand new windows for the room and had a tip on these. They had been in a house for a few years but look new (especially after O.B. cleaned them up). My new windows were about $140 each and I bought all five of the used ones for $100 total You guessed it.....we took the new ones back to Lowes! The windows are all vinyl, double-hung, tilt in, dual pane....you get the picture. It was the best deal on the entire cabin for anthing we ever purchased.

After reading our little booklet, you probably have some idea of the hill we have to climb to get to the cabin. It's not impossible...just three very steep grades. If it's raining...forget about using the truck. Thank God the four-wheeler goes right up it. But once you're up there...it's incredibly peaceful. On the down-side.....since no one can get to it without a key to the gate (not even the fire department) naturally, we can't get insurance on it. That's why I don't want to spend too much on it. In reality....I probably already have!

I can't tell you how I feel when I'm up there. I can work my butt off for three days straight and love it. If my wife wants me to fix a leaking toilet at our home, I try to put it off for as long as possible. I guess I just feel rejuvenated when I get to the cabin. I hope the same for you and your husband. I see he retired from the Air Force. I retired almost 10 years ago from the Ohio State Highway Patrol as a Staff Lieutenant. I haven't missed a thing since. I'm currently employed as a part-time Federal Court Security Officer in a federal building nearby.

Anyway......about your steps. You guys just have to figure out how much furniture you really need to take into the loft. I can't imagine too much. Maybe you'll be able to give it some thought and take the stairway out completely......freeing up a good deal of space. I've been through several cabins with lofts with beds and bathrooms and limited furniture but nothing that you couldn't hoist up to the loft without a set of stairs. But in the end....you both have to be happy with it. I don't want your husband thinking I'm suggesting removing them....just something to mull over. Our loft is fairly small and we thought it would be good for the kids, but unless they open the windows during the winter.....it would be entirely too hot to sleep up there.

One thing we've learned after getting the cabin insulated is a new problem you create trying to keep it cool enough in the winter. The first night we stayed in it OB got the flashlight out and looked at the thermometer and it read "...90..." We opened all the windows completely and never covered up all night long and it was 30 degrees outside. I'm sure your temperatures will be a bit more extreme than ours. Will you get some 50 below temps? How many square feet are you heating?

Well....don't forget to post progression pics daily (or weekly) if possible. It seems to keep you wanting to do more. Good luck to both of you.

Old Old Buddy

jeffoldhouse
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 12:39

Hey OOB,

I am new on this forum and have been reading on your build as it is fairly close to me. I live south of Marietta that I've seen you mention a few times. I would love to build a cabin someday, but convincing the better half that would be a good idea is still a stretch. I built our home and also a large workshop and she thinks I'm crazy to want to build something again....just gets in the system, I guess. Just wanted you to know how much I've enjoyed reading your posts and following along with the build. You have a great looking getaway. I have a couple of grandsons, so maybe I can get them interested and we'll tag team on Nana!

Jeff

old buddy
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 20:25

jeffoldhouse
Hey Jeff! Nice to hear from someone fairly local. We lived in Marietta (Reno) for four years during 1985-1989. We loved it there. I got to know Washington and Noble Counties pretty well. Were you from around Belpre or further south?

I'll tell you.....building this cabin has been one of the greatest times of my life. I'll be 62 this month and Old Buddy, my son, is 37. If you read the entire thread you get an understanding of the process. LIke I say........it's been great.

You're going to have to put more pressure on Nana My wife loves it once she gets there but she is a little afraid to ascend the hill because the road is so steep. We're going up in the morning (Old Buddy and I) to split the wood that we cut last week-end. That should take several hours. We're just going to throw it in a pile and stack it later.

Do you have property or a place to build yet? Keep us up to date on any progress you make with the Mrs. I wish you luck. Are you a carpenter by trade or do you work at one of the chemical plants/power plants in your area? I know there's a slew of them down there. Whatever you do....don't be going over our work with a "fine-tooth comb!" We are definitely not cabinet makers but I have a phrase I keep telling my son when everything doesn't go exactly right............it's just a cabin! Everything doesn't have to be perfect!

Talk to you later......Old Old Buddy

jeffoldhouse
# Posted: 3 Nov 2012 08:10

I live just a little below Belpre at Little Hocking and yes, I work at one of the plants across the river. About 3 years away from retirement and looking forward to a career change. I build kitchens and furniture on the side and plan to do it full time when the "real" job isn't in the way. My wife worked in Reno for a few years and now works from home (and loves it). I grew up in Marietta (out rt 26 past Broughton's Dairy). Marietta is a great town, especially if you are a history buff.

We built on 2 acres and the front part is cleared, with the back section wooded and up on a hill. We border an old farm place that runs out to the Ohio River and I have thought of building a small cabin up on the very back corner of our place. I realize it is close, but you would be completely surrounded by woods. My son in law deers hunts the farm (I'm not a hunter) and I thought maybe he and the grandsons would like to bunk in sometime. He lives close by, but I think it would be a fun project, especially if we included the boys. They are only 2 and 5, but as you know...they grow up fast, so this probably won't be anything I'll be doing in the very near future, but it is nice to dream about.

Enjoy your place and I'll keep following along......

Jeff

old buddy
# Posted: 3 Nov 2012 16:39

I think you have an excellent idea of building the cabin on the back of your property.....whenever you get Nana's permission!

I know the area pretty well where you're at. Are you pretty close to State Route 124......Long Bottom area? I just love travelling that road...if you drive off the edge of the road going south you hit the solid rock wall. If you drive off the edge going north...you end up in the Ohio River. I was a Sergeant on the Ohio State Highway Patrol while I was stationed in Marietta and travelled a lot of those roads. I think both of our children could move back to Marietta in a heartbeat.

we just got home from "the hill." We split upall the firewood we cut last week-end....and then some. It was the first time I used a splitter. Boy.....does it go fast with three guys working together. We probably stacked a full cord of cherry and some ash as well. It will have to sit for quite awhile. We have plenty of wood cut up from the past two years. It isn't like it takes a lot of wood to heat the cabin anyway.

We also delivered a recliner today and boy is it comfortable. It will make another bed.....for all intents and purposes. It's an over-sized one and real fluffy We didn't take my grandson with us today because it was pretty cool and I was afraid of him getting hurt with us throwing wood everywhere. He enjoyed staying with Grandma anyway.
I know how fast they grow up and believe me....I get teased about always taking pictures. They are great to look back on. We have a file on the computer with about 4-5 times as many pictures taken up there but we didn't post on the forum. The last time my computer was worked on the "tech" told me we had well over 43 Gigs of photos on the computer. It's just so easy with a digital camera.....why not?

More later.................Old Old Buddy

jeffoldhouse
# Posted: 4 Nov 2012 16:26

Yea we live on Rt 124...however if it's been since the 1980's since you were last on this road a few things have changed. A few years ago the locks at Bellville (Reedsville) got jambed open by a runaway barge and the upper part of the river lost all the water level that the lock maintained. River level dropped over 12 ft and banks started caving in and nearby roads collapsed. St Rt 124 between Little Hocking and Hockingport (right along those cliffs you were talking about) was the worst. The State officially closed that section and built a new rt 124 starting at Torch and runs to Hockingport. So, we are now on a dead end road, which is kinds nice for the traffic flow, but I really miss the drive along the river. You can still drive to Reedsville and Longbottom, but you have to start at Torch instead of Little Hocking. Drive down and check it out sometime.

I used to cut a lot of firewood and remember the "good" soreness it left you with. Now we have a gas log fireplace....while nice and easy...just isn't the same.

Have fun and enjoy your fires in the stove this winter.......

Jeff

hitanktank
# Posted: 4 Nov 2012 20:47

love this thread--good job

old buddy
# Posted: 5 Nov 2012 06:25

hitanktank
Thanks for the comments. I swear you could spend days reading all the info on this forum...couldn't you? But at least it's enjoyable to watch something coming together for people...even if some take years, like ours!

Are you Building a cabin or just "planning one" for now? With a name like Hitankhank I wondered if you were a boilermaker? Anyway, thank you for the compliment. Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 10 Nov 2012 17:51

I just got back from the hill about fifteen minutes ago. I took my three year old grandson with me . We left around noon and got back around 5:30PM.

It's hard for me to get much done when he's with me because he always wants me to look at something or another. I did, however, get five sets of mini-blinds up for the new room to help with a little privacy and also for closing completely at night. I don't much like the thoughts of something or someone looking through a window at me sleeping, just inches away from the window. Know what I mean?

Since the bunkroom is 10 inches lower than the cabin, it should be a little cooler sleeping there, since most of the heat is going up. I'm anxious to stay there on the couch for the first time during hunting season.

Tristin had a great time with Pap and helped out whenever and whereever he could. He really enjoys going to the cabin with his dad, especially. He only told me about five times today, "Daddy is working, Pap." We did get to see about five HUGH gooblers. They're so big they're scary: Ha!

More later. Olod Old Buddy

hitanktank
# Posted: 10 Nov 2012 18:49

Quoting: old buddy
hitanktank
Thanks for the comments. I swear you could spend days reading all the info on this forum...couldn't you? But at least it's enjoyable to watch something coming together for people...even if some take years, like ours!

Are you Building a cabin or just "planning one" for now? With a name like Hitankhank I wondered if you were a boilermaker? Anyway, thank you for the compliment. Old Old Buddy

Tanktank was my dog (RIP) - Im just in the planning stages but hope to be building sooner rather than later.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.