Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / We just started building our little 20X20 cabin
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . >>
Tim
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 08:03

Quoting: trollbridge
Are you going to call her "baby" just like Turkeyhunter would?!!?????

Nah, I'm a gentalman! Besides, she is young enough to be my daughter, but still pretty as a sunset to look at. lol

Anonymous
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 13:36

thinking of you, Tim, but I'm sure there won't be any problem with inspection. you always do things more than proper! so sorry about the redo, tho. even if it wasn't as bad as you feared, sure wasn't something you wanted to do!

Abby

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 14:24

Tim, I have to ask (even though I read through all 15 pages of this thread and miss the answer).... I have always resisted my partners idea of putting down dark stained wood on the floors at the cabin! I see yours and I think "WOW!" Yours are so nice looking I love it!! What flooring did you use??? I also see dfosson has also used dark wood flooring in his small cabin...Love it also! Thanks

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 14:29

Tim, I meant this question for rifraf...however, I see your floors are dark stained as well....so please feel free to answer as well....

Tim
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 20:11

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
What flooring did you use???

My floors are the same type of siding that Dfosson used on his inside walls. The type I got, if turned over, is flat on the back. I just turned it over, stained it, then glued it down with PL200. I urathaned it after it was down.

Worked great!

Tim
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 20:24 - Edited by: Tim

IT PASSED!

No problems at all.....she said go ahead and backfill. Before she was out of the driveway, I was on the track hoe!
septic_final_inspect.jpg
septic_final_inspect.jpg
septic_final_inspect.jpg
septic_final_inspect.jpg
septic_final_inspect.jpg
septic_final_inspect.jpg
septic_final_inspect.jpg
septic_final_inspect.jpg

hattie
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 20:37

GREAT NEWS!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 20:47

Congrats Tim!!!! And I see you got a picture memento to keep of the lovely inspector!!!! LOL!!!

Tim
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 20:58

And I see you got a picture memento to keep of the lovely inspector!!!! LOL!!!

lol...sometimes, we just can't help ourselves!

Tim
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 20:57 - Edited by: Tim

I've been back inside finishing all the little details. Today, I installed the dropdown ladder to the loft, put underlayment in the loft, installed the crown molding and baseboard in the bedroom, and did some touch-up painting in the bathroom.

"The guy" is coming monday to measure for carpet in the bedroom and loft.

Tim
interior_details_006.jpg
interior_details_006.jpg
interior_details_004.jpg
interior_details_004.jpg
interior_details_008.jpg
interior_details_008.jpg
interior_details_009.jpg
interior_details_009.jpg

rayyy
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 05:06

MANNNNNN you've come a long way's,Tim.Lookingoood!

Tim
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 22:27

I am off the rest of the week. We spent all day today working on "the little things". Lowe's is delivering the refrigerator tomorrow between 8am and noon.

The lady came and measured for the bedroom and loft carpet Tuesday evening, and we picked out new livingroom furniture at Value City furniture Wed. That will be delivered next Wednesday.

We are only a couple of weeks from moving in now. Wow, what a ride it has been!

Oh, my daughter stopped today with the grand kids. They tested out the loft and said it will do just fine! lol
loft5.jpg
loft5.jpg
0705121452b.jpg
0705121452b.jpg
0705121453.jpg
0705121453.jpg
Our new furniture (in the store)
Our new furniture (in the store)

naturelover66
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 22:30

Congrats!!! Its all beautiful......... job well done !!!!!

neb
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 23:13

Looks very nice!!!

hattie
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 00:52

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 08:45

OOO la la...keep the pictures coming Tim...so excited for you and your wife!!!!

MJW
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 09:13 - Edited by: MJW

Nice job, Tim!

You will never know what an inspiration and motivator your build has been for me and my family.

Looking forward to the day I will be in the same place you are right now.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 09:21

Quoting: MJW
You will never know what an inspiration and motivator your build has been for me and my family.

This is true for us as well...I have been in a 10 year slump and not done to much to the cabin to "finish" it....I still need drywall for pete's sake! I just yesterday read this entire thread and I am ready to get back to work!! Thanks!!

Tim
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 22:22

Quoting: MJW
You will never know what an inspiration and motivator your build has been for me and my family

Thank you for your kind words! I am glad you enjoyed my build. Please make sure to document your build when it happens and keep the flow going! I am sure you will be just as big of an inspiration to somebody in the future.

Tim
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 22:24

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
I just yesterday read this entire thread and I am ready to get back to work!! Thanks!!

You are very welcome. Please post pics as you go. And keep on keepin' on. The day will come you can sit and enjoy the fruits of your labor. But for now..............GET TO WORK!

Tim
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 22:58

Running water..................check
Flushing toilet...................check
Working shower...............check
Refrigerator......................check
Beer in the fridge!.............CHECK!

Yep, the cottage is now livable!
0706121252.jpg
0706121252.jpg
0706121252a.jpg
0706121252a.jpg
0706120854a.jpg
0706120854a.jpg
0706121133a.jpg
0706121133a.jpg

Tim
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 23:04

more pics.................
0706121133.jpg
0706121133.jpg
0706121426.jpg
0706121426.jpg
0706120856c.jpg
0706120856c.jpg
0706120855.jpg
0706120855.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 23:07

Running water..............zilch
Flushing toilet...............zilch
Working shower............zilch
Refrigerator..................zilch
Beer in the fridge!......... zilch

Hmmmm...all the things our cabin doesn't have!! Oh well...such is life!

Tim
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 23:11

Beer in the fridge!......... zilch

OMG............ya gotta get on that one!

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 23:18

Does beer in the cooler count???

oldbuddy
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 20:09

Tim-
Congratulations on a great project. You have worked hard and deserve a little break. Heck....you make the rest of us look like a bunch of loafers! LOL

Seriously....it is beautiful! I'm sure you and your family are very proud of your efforts. You should be!

Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 20:12

Quoting: oldbuddy
Heck....you make the rest of us look like a bunch of loafers! LOL

I know, right? I have a complex now!

Tim
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 22:17

Quoting: oldbuddy
Heck....you make the rest of us look like a bunch of loafers! LOL

Hey, there is nothing wrong with working at your own pace. The important thing is to enjoy the process!

Tim
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 22:57 - Edited by: Tim

JULY 7TH, 2012
Ok, I hope what I am about to say doesn't sound too weird! It has been 9 months to the day since I started. On October 7th, 2011 I hulled the first lumber to the site to begin work.

Yesterday and today, we cleaned up all the construction debris, preasure washed the back porch, and set up a little "bistro set" on the back porch where we plan to sit and have morning coffee. We added hooks in the bathroom for bathrobes, put up towl bars, hung the shower curtian, finished installing the exhaust fan in the bathroom, etc. etc.

But my point is this: As wierd as it may sound, we both felt a transformation today in the house. It seemed to take it's first breath, and come to life. Up until now, it has been a project. A construction site. Many times, a hell of a mess. But today....................today, it became a home!

I will now say, IT IS FINISHED!

Oh, there is still plenty to do. I will be finishing the lattice around the porches tomorrow. This fall, I want to cover the foundation with stone and enclose the soffits. Then, build a little chicken coop. There will ALWAYS be something to do. It will probably never really be "finished". There is landscaping to do, a garage to build, etc.

But if somebody came today and offered to buy my "big house", the cottage is more than ready and waiting for us to move right in. And..that we DO plan to do very soon.

Lowe's has been screwing around for over a week now to schedule the carpet installation for the bedroom and loft. The new furniture will be delivered Wednesday afternoon. So, probably about 2 weeks yet until the "big move", but she is waiting for us when ever we are ready.

It's been a hell of a ride. Thank you all for joining me, and watching it happen. Keep coming back, there will be tons more to see! Fresh eggs, sunsets, fencing, landscaping, and "living the simple life!"
The_final_stages_007.jpg
The_final_stages_007.jpg
The_final_stages_004.jpg
The_final_stages_004.jpg
The_final_stages_003.jpg
The_final_stages_003.jpg
0706121133a.jpg
0706121133a.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 23:21

Quoting: Tim
It has been 9 months to the day since I started.

Tim...in the time it will take me to "bake" this baby you built a home!

Congratulations, and thank you for posting here even though in the beginning you were uncertain of the response you would get building with green wood, remember? I for one have thoroughly enjoyed watching your hard work as you built your beautiful cottage!

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.