Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / We just started building our little 20X20 cabin
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . >>
trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Aug 2012 22:02

Hey Tim and Leslie, good to hear from you! I can imagine that you must be loving living at the cottage. Glad you are settling in nicely.

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 24 Aug 2012 21:59

Tim, I have questions about the water based driveway sealer. I'll post them here but I may start another thread to see if I get answers there.

You wrote you covered your plywood until you got under roof. I see in one of your pictures an OSB floor coated then in another picture plywood that is not ocated. Did you use a subfloor of OSB, coat it then install a plywood floor on top?

What did you use to apply the driveway sealer? Seems likely to use a cheap roller and throw it away after use.

Did you coat the sides of the OSB also. I would think the sides and edges would delaminate first.

I'm thinking of coating my OSB floor with this same driveway sealer after seeing you use it but I may not cover it with plywood or anything else. Do you think this would work long term?

Thanks Spuds

ErinsMom
# Posted: 26 Aug 2012 17:46

Tim,
Congrats on the move. Think of all of us part-timers and not started yet folks as you sit on that front porch. I must say: you are one of the hardest working men if have had the pleasure of knowing (if only via the forum).

Tim
# Posted: 30 Sep 2012 20:33

Hi everybody,
Well, we have been living here 2 months now. We have finished a few projects and thought of a few more. lol

We are just loving living here. The chickens are giving us about 8 or 7 fresh eggs a day. I have built 4 raised bed gardens for veggies next spring.

Oh, and we finely got some good internet access so I can be back online again!! Yeah!!

The stain on the house is done, as is the stone on the foundation. Here are some pics or our projects so far.
living_at_the_homest.jpg
living_at_the_homest.jpg
stone_finished_009.j.jpg
stone_finished_009.j.jpg
stone_finished_007.j.jpg
stone_finished_007.j.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 10:38

Quoting: Tim
Oh, and we finely got some good internet access so I can be back online again!! Yeah!!

YAY! We have missed you!
Oh boy does your place look GREAT or what???? I love how the stone foundation anchors it all. It really looks super-as does your stain!

Chickens look happy...dog looks like it wants to make friends! "Aw...come on guys (actually gals, right?)...don't walk away...play with me..."

Rifraf
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 12:21 - Edited by: Rifraf

Looking better and better Tim.. Is that rock skirt mortared from the ground up with just really big stones or did you put a plywood wall behind if first ?? Interested because I would like to do that someday.

TimJ
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 13:08

Quoting: Rifraf
Interested because I would like to do that someday.

There are several youtube videos telling how to do it. I put 1/4" cement board up first instead of plywood. Then covered that with metal lathe. (the same type used for stucko). Then apply a "plaster coat" of mortar and scratch it with a leaf rake. Then the stone is mortared to the "scratch coat".

It goes on pretty easily.

TimJ
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 13:12

Rifraf
I looked at your website. Now I am more clear on what you were asking. My house sits on 6X6 wooden posts. On the posts, I have 2X6 boards as a skirt around the outside. It was over the 2X6's that I applied the cement board. You will need to create some type of skirt before applying stone.

Rifraf
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 13:34

Thanks Tim

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 14:49

Tim, very nice work!

hattie
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 16:33

Your place is AMAZING!!! I just love the stone foundation! Congratulations!!

Tim
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 05:55

Thanks everybody, and it's good to be back online again. I am hoping to get the soffits and spouting on before the snow flies, then that is about it for the house it's self.

Last night I was clearing some brush and cutting some firewood. I discovered a nest of yellow jackets I didn't know about. 8 stings! damn I hate those things.

The one in the armpit is the worse. lol

Bevis
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 10:17

Tim, the place looks good. Like the stone, seems to tie it all together. Standing by for the garage build.

grover
# Posted: 3 Oct 2012 14:36

2 quick questions I have been thinking about.
On some earlier pics I saw the board & batten went straight up to the roof on one end of the cottage and on the other end it looked like 2 separate levels with the top part overhanging the bottom by an inch or so..why that?
2nd question, when you nail on your 2 inch battens does the nail have to go in between the 2 boards underneath? so the board won't split.
I downloaded the green wood book last night. Gonna start reading on that.
Thanks for sharing your build. Love it.

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 11:39

I am from Russia. Sorry for my English, Tim.
Very nice work. I read all pages.
Now I am building a my cabin.
I found a lot of useful information for me.
Good luck,
Andrey

skoty38
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 00:29

Nice work Tim. Look forward to more posts.

Tim
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 12:39

Hi everybody,
Thought you might enjoy an update:
Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBqmW8LWkY&feature=g-upl

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 13:26

Wow Tim! Thanks for the update. I can't believe how long you've been there already and I love the place all decorated for Christmas- makes me want to run out and decorate today too! Beautiful!

Be sure to post pics when you have snow covering the ground-it will be so pretty!

We are preparing for the baby to arrive-trade off for not being able to be at the cabin this weekend. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas in your cozy cottage! Take care

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 14:57

Hi Tim,
It's wonderful

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 20:51

Tim, It is fantastic! Love it!! That is how homes should be built today!!

Tim
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 20:51

Quoting: trollbridge
We are preparing for the baby to arrive-trade off for not being able to be at the cabin this weekend.

Troll,
congrats on the baby! Hard to believe it is time already. Keep us posted, and we want pics!! Momma and baby both!! Good luck,
Tim

Tim
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 20:56

Thanks Dave, glad you like it!
Tim

Rifraf
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 14:53

Tim,

Thanks for the video, that really ties together all those photos we've seen. You should be very proud of your work.

EvoQ
# Posted: 9 Dec 2012 03:45

Man,
As a new guy on the forum I must say your place is amazing. The perfect size and everything seems to just be right and proper. I read the first page of this thread and thought OMG here's someone trying to tell someone else how to live out their lives. I thought that was the whole point of getting away from it all...lol...some of those nay-sayers have never experienced some of the Alaska Cabins or should I say Shacks...hahaha...In my business I see that sort of criticism just for the sake of criticism, which is sadly but so prevalent in our current society. Building a cabin out in the wilds where you can be your own person I bet is 99% the reason most of you take on such a project. And BTW I too have built used Oak over this cheap stuff at the big box lumber stores. Oh Lordy the difference, no comparison. I fabricate in metal and it's like comparing original Iron Bridges to Steel Bridges, brings to mind the first Large Bridge that spanned the Mississippi river, oh how we can learn so much from History.
But anyways big time Congratulations !

Tim
# Posted: 9 Dec 2012 09:05

Thanks for the comments "Evo". It's not for everybody, but it sure fits us just fine!

Tim

Tim
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 15:46

Hi everybody! I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas. It has been a little busy around here. My daughter has been moving and dad had to help! lol

This morning, Dec. 26th, we got a little snow. Here are some pics......
009.jpg
009.jpg
016.jpg
016.jpg
011.jpg
011.jpg
004.jpg
004.jpg

Bachman
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 17:43

Tim
I built a nice shed with green rough lumber. It's been standing for over 40 years with no signs of shifting or sagging. It is 12 x 17. I notice the dark stain on your camp. We have the same on our old camp but used creosote which is no longer readily available. Probably a good thing but I really like the smell. What did you use?

Nice work by the way.

Tim
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 18:49 - Edited by: Tim

Quoting: Bachman
We have the same on our old camp but used creosote which is no longer readily available. Probably a good thing but I really like the smell. What did you use?

On our first house about 35 years ago, I used creosote too. I remember mixing it with used motor oil and diesel fuel. Unheard of today, but it sure was a great preservative!

This time, we used black latex fence paint from Tractor Supply. We thined it 50/50 with water and sprayed it on with a garden sprayer. It was only $39.00 for a 5 gallon bucket and just over one bucket did the whole house. Next spring what is left will do the shed.

Tim

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 21:15

Love the blanket of white Tim!

If your daughter is moving does that mean your house sold? Congrats if it has!

hattie
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 22:35

Your place is beautiful. You should be so proud. The video was great too!!! Love how your place looks all decorated for Christmas. I am so glad to read that you are living your dream!!!! Congratulations!

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.