Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / We just started building our little 20X20 cabin
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . >>
Tim
# Posted: 1 Apr 2012 21:21

I just made a video tour and update. Find it here:

URL

hattie
# Posted: 1 Apr 2012 23:29

Your place sure is coming along nicely. I really love the door latches and the spice shelves. GREAT work!!!! Can't wait to see more....

customrunner
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 21:05

Tim the place looks great love the vid..
Thanks Chad

Tim
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 21:18

hattie
customrunner
Thanks everybody. This week has gone pretty well. I got lots more done. That saturday after Easter we are having a paintin'beer party for the inside white. That should be fun!

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 21:53

Your going to paint beer? Weird! LOL!
It is going to look so different painted white-I can't wait to see pictures! Have you figured out how much paint you will need to get it all done?

Tim
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 05:46 - Edited by: Tim

trollbridge
Well, let's see....... I know it is going to soak in allot. I bought 1300 bd ft of pine for the inside, and 16 sheets of drywall, which is another 520 square feet. That is 1820 sq. ft.

Some of the pine will be painted on both sides. (inside of closet doors, etc. so....let's say 2000 sq. ft. At 400 sq. ft. per gallon, that is 5 gallons per coat. It will probably take 3 coats, so about 15 gallons I would guess.

Wow! That's allot of paint! lol

Tim
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 18:36 - Edited by: Tim

The down stairs drywall is finely finished. Now, all I have to do is up in the loft. Here are some pics.
from_backup_disc_00.jpg
from_backup_disc_00.jpg
from_backup_disc_00.jpg
from_backup_disc_00.jpg
from_backup_disc_00.jpg
from_backup_disc_00.jpg
from_backup_disc_00.jpg
from_backup_disc_00.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 22:49

Nice work as usual Tim!
Some thoughts running through my head...are you planning on priming your walls first? That would help reduce the amount of paint you need and primer is cheaper than paint too. Also, are you brushing or rolling it on? A heavy texture roller would probably work best...far less messy and the rough boards would be hard on the brushes I'm thinking.
You are going to have a fantastic time that weekend......I'm excited for you and your wife!

Tim
# Posted: 6 Apr 2012 05:30

trollbridge
Yes, figuring on primer as the first coat, then two coats of paint.

There will probably be allot of both roller and brush. Mostly roller, but cutting in and getting the corners etc. with brush. I also have a sprayer I thought would come in handy for inside of closets and tight spots.

The only bad thing about the sprayer is it will take more coats because you have to thin it so much. That will REALLY soak into the rough wood! lol

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Apr 2012 12:45

Sounds like you have given it lots of thought. You're right about the sprayer. If you have a lot of people and they are painting steadily instead of just steadily drinking beer than it should go pretty quickly

Hope you have nice weather with low humidity that weekend!

Tim
# Posted: 11 Apr 2012 21:41

I worked on the loft today. Trying to get everything done before the weekend for the paint party. Here are some pics I took just before I left tonight.
022.jpg
022.jpg
025.jpg
025.jpg
027.jpg
027.jpg
029.jpg
029.jpg

Tim
# Posted: 12 Apr 2012 21:27

I finished mudding the drywall today, then built the railing.
002.jpg
002.jpg
005.jpg
005.jpg
003.jpg
003.jpg

Montanan
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 15:10

Looking great! Enjoy the painting party!

Tim
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 21:55

Today (Friday) we primered and preped for painting. Wow, I am getting way too old for all these trips up and down the ladder!
I can feel every nerve in my body right now, and they are all screaming! lol

Here are some pics.......
The "priming crew"
The "priming crew"
Left to right - "Brutus" (the architect) "Gunther" (crew leader)  "Floyd" (interior designer)
Left to right - "Brutus" (the architect) "Gunther" (crew leader) "Floyd" (interior designer)
"Me" (sloppy painter)
"Me" (sloppy painter)
lots of primer put on..........
lots of primer put on..........

Tim
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 22:01

More pics from today (Friday)
025A.jpg
025A.jpg
026A.jpg
026A.jpg
027A.jpg
027A.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 10:16

I'm calling Martha Stewart....telling her to bring her editor and a team of photographers out to your place!!!! It will be the next feature story so get ready!!!

Tim
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 20:47

I had tay woo much lud bight today! lol...the painting party went great!

We put on about 13 gallons of white latex. Not sure where it all went, but somewhere for sure. We had lots of laughs, kids stuck in closets, and the beer flowed freely. Here are some pics of our follies!
The crew
The crew
022b.jpg
022b.jpg
003b.jpg
003b.jpg
006b.jpg
006b.jpg

ErinsMom
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 20:49

I think the mrs is on to something with this white paint thing. If the primer looks this good, can't wait to see the finished product.
You rock.

Tim
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 20:50

More pics
008b.jpg
008b.jpg
028b.jpg
028b.jpg
031b.jpg
031b.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 21:11

Sober up Tim..........................are you even able to fully appreciate how good that looks?????????? Love all your little helpers....they are so cute!!! Looks like you had a great time!!!

Tim
# Posted: 17 Apr 2012 21:20

Tonight after work, we went to Lowe's and bought the ceiling fan and light for the kitchen ceiling. Here are some pics.
005BB.jpg
005BB.jpg
008BB.jpg
008BB.jpg
011BB.jpg
011BB.jpg
Picture from the box of the ceiling light
Picture from the box of the ceiling light

customrunner
# Posted: 17 Apr 2012 21:27

Tim, looks like the paint party was a sucess.
Looks great

Bevis
# Posted: 17 Apr 2012 23:20

Looks good Tim.

Rifraf
# Posted: 18 Apr 2012 12:32

Tim I love your door designs! I may have to borrow that design for my cabin, thanks!

TimJ
# Posted: 19 Apr 2012 12:14

Thanks looking everybody.

Rifraf
Thank you. I sure didn't design them, but you are more than welcome to copy them. lol......

Tim
# Posted: 29 Apr 2012 08:29

If I never see another paint brush, it will be too soon! lol We put on a total of 20 gallons by the time all the touch-ups were done.

Now, it is time for flooring. We stained 320 square of floor boards yeasterday. While it dries, I started the wood stove hearth. We found a free source of brick from a historic building that burned down in the area, so decided to do brick instead of the stone we originally planned.

I should finish the brick today and get started laying the floor.

In the pictured, the stove looks way too close to the wall, but it isn't as close as it looks. I can lay my hand on the wall with the stove roaring. It doesn't get hot at all, just warm to the touch.
043.jpg
043.jpg
044.jpg
044.jpg
049.jpg
049.jpg
052.jpg
052.jpg

Tim
# Posted: 29 Apr 2012 08:31

More pictures..................
053.jpg
053.jpg
064.jpg
064.jpg

Tim
# Posted: 29 Apr 2012 21:07

I'm just gettin' too old for this! lol....I'm beat! Here is what I did today:
064a.jpg
064a.jpg
066.jpg
066.jpg
070.jpg
070.jpg
075.jpg
075.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 10:21

Wow Tim! The amount of work you get done is staggering to me! Your flloors are beautiful and look great with all the white painted wood. What kind and size boards did you use and do you mind saying how much per board foot?

Also I think the brick looks better than the stone you were considering-I love stone but I have a soft spot for reclaimed brick which you could tell if you saw all the brick here at our house that we have reclaimed over the years!!!!

It all looks simply beautiful!!! Don't forget to take breaks out on your front porches....then again...sometimes it is better to just keep moving so as not to stiffen up! UGH!!!!

Tim
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 11:02

Thanks Troll,
Actually, I learned a little trick to save a ton of money on the flooring. That floor, is actually "V groove" tongue and groove barn siding. Like the stuff they use on a lot of storage buildings.

The local lumber yard has it in both 6" wide, and 8" wide. On the front, the 6" has both a "V groove" down the middle and a bevel on the edge so that it forms a groove at the seam. On the back of the 6" there are only the bevels on the edges.

BUT! The 8" has the groove in the middle of the front and a bevel on the edges....but the back is totally smooth!

So....that is what the flooring is......barn siding turned upside down.

It was .70 cents a foot. The 8" gives you 7 inches "net". So, that is a little under $1.40 a square foot. I don't think you will find any flooring for sale new for less money.

Leave it to old "tight wad" here....if there is a way to save a buck without it showing.................... lol

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.