shelter7.jpg
shelter7.jpg
shelter6.jpg
shelter6.jpg
shelter5.jpg
shelter5.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Apr 2021 17:20 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Rafter shots and a few more. Those "silvered" logs from weather, when sprayed with bleach in a pump sprayer turns a brand new blonde color almost as fast as you spray it on, looks like it was just fresh peeled. I did a few, will finish ridge and ridge supports.

Notice the "H" clips on the plywood.

After adding all that weight above, structure with lots of force, did barely move, I took all the diagonal braces, added a second 10" timberlock screw to it at a different angle and it is now rock solid with zero movement at all.
rafter2.jpg
rafter2.jpg
rafter1.jpg
rafter1.jpg
shelter2.jpg
shelter2.jpg
shelter4.jpg
shelter4.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 15 Apr 2021 17:40

Lookin good Ranger T

Nobadays
# Posted: 15 Apr 2021 18:05 - Edited by: Nobadays

Very nice!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Apr 2021 12:53 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Well, as some of you remember, the original plan was for a 12X16 shelter, the reason it got narrow was due to the slope I was building on and I didnt have long enough sono tubes, so narrowed it up to 10 feet wide.

This turned out to be a huge money saving event. All my rafters, I was able to use 8 footers and only cut off around 4" total which left me decent overhang.

I had little waste on my plywood, total roof length was 20 feet, so 10 sheets did it, I cut just a sliver off the top row of plywood. The rafter tails I cut off was perfect firewood blocks for my little wood stove and the evening temps dropped to the teens, so I ended up burning that all up (kiln dried douglas fir) and I have just a small sliver sections of the plywood which I put into my wood scrap box out there.

Anyway, anyone planning on building, think of dimensions that make for little waste. Also gable end panels diagonally cut, you can use the top part cut off for the opposite side, plan all around that. Lumber that was over 8 feet jumped way up in cost, but even the 8 foot stuff was stupid spendy.

I had lots of planning into this, coordinating vacation and all my free labor buddies, plus the log frame up in the weather, I was not going to postpone it, but I am not doing any building projects till this pricing settles down.

Total materials was:
22) 4X4X8 untreated doug fir
10) 15/32 plywood sheets
4) 2X6X10 doug fir (end of rafter tails)
4) 3/4"X6"X8 facia trim for gable ends
2) rolls of 30# felt underlayment

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Apr 2021 20:30

Premium build, in more ways than one!

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.