# Posted: 17 May 2022 16:12

Toy, yer a one man CCC!
Always great posts and pics

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 May 2022 16:37 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: gcrank1
Toy, yer a one man CCC!
Always great posts and pics

OK, wondering what a CCC is, but certain its nothing bad.

I used a Wagner Control Pro 150 sprayer, ordered from Home Depot, was planning on hand painting, so glad I got this sprayer, showed up 2 days before I departed.
Another one of those good investments. Spent about 1 hour painting after I got it going.
controlPro150.jpg
controlPro150.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 May 2022 17:15

CCC=Civilian Conservation Corps, FDR era 1933-42; the CCC built much of the 'traditional' Nat Park improvements. Glorious bull work that can still be seen today.
Iirc PBS has played a documentary profiling it from time to time. Like the WWII vets, the Greatest Generation, most CCC participants are now gone.

FishHog
# Posted: 17 May 2022 18:13

Nice work TMT, looks great

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 May 2022 22:16

Another logo, sticker and coffee mug design in the works, we still have the old one, its not going anywhere. But this is the black and white version, another coming, full color and the round logo will look like the crosscut end of a log, designer is working on it now.
Final
Final
Rough draft
Rough draft

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 May 2022 08:13

Quoting: gcrank1
CCC=Civilian Conservation Corps, FDR era 1933-42; the CCC built much of the 'traditional' Nat Park improvements. Glorious bull work that can still be seen today.

OK, yes, very familiar with their work, seen loads of it.
Thank you for the compliment.

BRADISH
# Posted: 18 May 2022 17:12

Looking good Yota. Looks like it will be a good place to hang out with the fam!

Nobadays
# Posted: 18 May 2022 18:11

True to your theme... looks great!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Jun 2022 13:50 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

A few more of the same design with minor changes.
Double_J_Round08.pn.png
Double_J_Round08.pn.png
Double_J_Branded09_.png
Double_J_Branded09_.png

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Jul 2022 16:24 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, took that old slabbed snag and have built a large serving table, this is to go across one end of the log shelter. Designed for cooling and serving on, while the picnic table will be used for eating. So the large space consuming items are out of the way.

The table is 11 feet long, its notched for the rear log uprights, we did a dry run last visit.

With glue and lots of biscuits, made the large table our of pieces.

Took my branding iron and burned in the brand. I coated the top in a product called "Stone Coat", did the clear stuff, first coat down. It was spread with a 1/8" notched trowel and self leveled. I will probably have to put one more coat on it yet.

Gets installed in mid August
counter.jpg
counter.jpg
counter4.jpg
counter4.jpg
counter1.jpg
counter1.jpg
counter3.jpg
counter3.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Jul 2022 21:00

Words not needed
snag downed
snag downed
skidded/secured
skidded/secured
slabbed
slabbed
drying
drying

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Jul 2022 21:02

Part 2

Missed the sanding pictures.
biccuits and glue
biccuits and glue
coat #1
coat #1

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Jul 2022 23:21

Wow!
That is some heavy duty logging 'just for fun'
Nice work as always.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Jul 2022 09:47

Nice. What kind of wood is that? The drip feed on the mill is interesting, haven't tried that.

Nobadays
# Posted: 18 Jul 2022 10:26

Nice!

I just cut 3, 10"x12"x 10' logs in half length wise to use as steps with my Echo 330T. About 2 hours each... freehand. Of course not nearly as nice of cuts as you got there but sufficient for steps. The cut marks I call, "no slip texture!"

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Jul 2022 15:45 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: paulz
What kind of wood is that? The drip feed on the mill is interesting, haven't tried that

Paulz, its a Stihl 056AV, the drip feed has a small little valve, close it when done. Its ponderosa pine, each slab took probably 5 minutes max, it was a ripping chain, made for cutting with grain.

That is just a typical Alaskan saw mill as its generically called. Amazon has them, about $150 or so, no match for your redwoods though.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Jul 2022 18:39 - Edited by: paulz

I borrowed a neighbor's Granberg, bought a ripping chain for my Husky 70cc and did some redwood. What it was great for was squaring a log so it would fit the 16" throat of my small bandsaw mill. After that, the bandsaw was faster and less kerf for the many 20+ footers I milled for my deck.

I should probably get one, handy. His didn't have the drip feed.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Jul 2022 18:52

Paul, the drip feed kinda of looked like an add on kit.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Aug 2022 21:36 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, headed back over Friday, be there the full following week. Have some projects, nothing big this time. Bunch of "small" as I call them.

Because of the extreme fire danger, suspect no powertools. (gas powered)

Plan is to install the rear counter, its loaded up in a good buddies trailer. I will add some rails to the shelter, give it more strength, but also a place to lean on, flat top for counter space and then across the back, the 11 foot counter. I want to add another hitching post to place traffic near cabin, stain it and the other one.

Picked up a large new boom sprayer to fit in the back of my Kawasaki Mule and battery powered. I have my ground clear stuff. The campsites and road I have been spraying by hand and its overwhelming me, I cant keep up, this should give me better odds now.

Boom Sprayer with spot wand too.

Anyway, wife, myself, Nugget my french bulldog, good buddy and another hubby wife team. Hubby wife team pulls out Sunday, wife pulls out Monday, I stay behind and my pal does and we do work.

I'll take pictures. I'm going to install that large saw too Paulz. I'll take pictures of it installed.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Aug 2022 15:37 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, week at cabin, loads of stuff done. Finished shelter, totally, rails in, rear serving counter, flat tops on side rails for drink and food surface etc. Hung USFS shield, stained hitching post, added a lower cost ADA compliant table, ie a Jack Post, was using Pilot Rock, but they went from 161 to 285, so no seal, this was the smaller tube frame too, larger tube frame was 380.

Jack post was 116, works the same, defintly not as stout, but plenty fine fo rthe cost.

Added a 16 gallon boom sprayer with a spray want all in one unit, super slick, sprayed entire roads and campsites in about 45 minutes, did it even twice. Weeds were getting ahead of me hand spraying. This solved that issue.

Found a new item to tighten barbed fence wire from Jakes, super slick, all my fencing is tight now.

https://jakeswiretighteners.com/washington-wire-tightener-dealers/
frontfinalview.jpg
frontfinalview.jpg
frontsideview.jpg
frontsideview.jpg
RFview.jpg
RFview.jpg
raftersfans.jpg
raftersfans.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Aug 2022 15:40

More, I will come back and edit sideways pictures
rearview1.jpg
rearview1.jpg
countertop.jpg
countertop.jpg
counter_with_medalli.jpg
counter_with_medalli.jpg
USFS_sheild.jpg
USFS_sheild.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Aug 2022 15:41

more
lookoutbackovercount.jpg
lookoutbackovercount.jpg
ADA_jackpost_picnict.jpg
ADA_jackpost_picnict.jpg
sprayer_booms.jpg
sprayer_booms.jpg
boom_sprayer.jpg
boom_sprayer.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Aug 2022 15:43 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Some shower pictures.

All closed up, headed home.
headed_home.jpg
headed_home.jpg
cabinview.jpg
cabinview.jpg
finalshower.jpg
finalshower.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 18 Aug 2022 15:55

Super nice!

Link44
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 00:07

I was snooping through your thread, beautiful work. That shelter looks super stout. I'm not going to be able to let my wife look over my shoulder or I'll be building 1 next.

I was curious what your kitchen stove is. I'm starting to layout and plan our galley style kitchen and that looks perfect, assuming its propane.

Thanks Link

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 08:19

Quoting: Link44
I was curious what your kitchen stove is. I'm starting to layout and plan our galley style kitchen and that looks perfect, assuming its propane.

Its an RV oven, Magic Chef 4 burner. It uses a pilot lamp to light burners, but I have that turned off so manual light. Oven, same thing, but it also has a pilot off feature. Propane only.

You have to pick black, stainless look, window in oven and I like the stainless cover over the cooktop, it tidys it up and give you back some counter space and when opened, and folded back, its a nice backsplash too. You can find them used all the time. But new isnt too bad, over 600 bucks.

RV cooktop/ovens

You need to just create a space between cabinets like any oven, but they dont go to the floor, so a filler or drawer is added and the cooktop doesnt go to the wall, so the counter is notched. Cooktop hangs on counter and a few screws in front to keep it from sliding out. Mine uses 3/8" copper gas line, double flared, connection is in the top area (flips up like a car hood)

If you go this route, get the cooktop and the rest falls in place.

Link44
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 23:44

Very cool, I'll start looking around. Thanks

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Nov 2022 00:00

OK, in spring or maybe a quick weekend run earlier (we have 20 inches of snow now), installing a security door which also doubles as a screen door.

The bars on the upper and lower panel could be bent with some good force, so I upgraded and welded in a strap at the midway point and ties it all together. Screens screw on from the inside. The screens are 3 pieces, top, bottom and mid section.

Deadbolt is keyed on both sides with knob just a simple passage knob with no locks of any kind.

I have a magnetic device to hold it open by magnet and a bumper to protect the wall. Deadbolt is keyed the same. Picked up a Schlage full rekey kit and I just rekeyed all locks and deadbolts at my home to use 1 key. Good investment.
Strap added at the midway top and bottom section
Strap added at the midway top and bottom section
Lock and deadbolt, may swap places, needs to clear doorknob
Lock and deadbolt, may swap places, needs to clear doorknob
Full security cover
Full security cover

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Jan 2023 15:44

Some more JJ swag to add. Also got my new oven/cooktop, more items to do after the spring thaw.

Working on getting power to the cabin, ie hooked to the grid.
Motel style key tags
Motel style key tags

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Feb 2023 08:31

Pondering bringing in electricity. I spoke to the county PUD engineer, looking at about $25,000. Wife has retired, I'm less than 3 years from doing the same. I would sure like to have power there, open up lots of options, in addition to making shorter trips there or longer stays nicer.
Monthly bill would be $40, so there is a 500 a year cost.

There could be a possibility of adding a permanent home there too.

I can keep my solar well, just put an outlet next to it to run a 12V transformer if needed.

Just bouncing ideas around.
New cooktop range going in in the spring. Also have a new patch made, got some coyote brown caps to set the patches on to.
71qei0A9GL._AC_SL15.jpg
71qei0A9GL._AC_SL15.jpg
71jlSRRJCYL._AC_SL15.jpg
71jlSRRJCYL._AC_SL15.jpg
71OZunaQJdL._AC_SL15.jpg
71OZunaQJdL._AC_SL15.jpg
81L6knvJgdL._AC_SL15.jpg
81L6knvJgdL._AC_SL15.jpg

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.