Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My project
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 .
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Aug 2020 12:52 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I was going to just use large timbers to frame it, priced it all out, over $5000, was going to be pricey, well, darn beetle kills popping up, I have been cutting them down and skidding them out with the Kawasaki Mule (that was a good investment/tool) and then having this large log deck on hand, then a year later, with the help from the bugs, I grabbed a bark spud (Ames 4.5" floor scraper) and in about 10 minutes, I had peeled a log, then another and another. It was settled, was using logs.

I want to build more log structures, maybe some simple shed roofs at some of the campsites?

I know I will be building a log swing set for my grandkids. I found all the hardware in kits.

I recon'd the 40 acres and spotted 4 more nice beetle kills, 2 recent, 2 from prior. I tagged them with special colored ribbon, I will save those when my sister comes up with me, she loves logging and skidding. I promised her, I would save them for her.

Drop them off to the log deck and let the bugs get to work on loosening that bark.

I'm in this about $300 where it sets now, fasteners, concrete and steel for brackets. Will jump up when the roof part comes. I suspect my metal roofing is going to be like $1500 total, plus rafters and plywood decking, 30# felt...

Shadyacres
# Posted: 26 Aug 2020 18:54

Looking good , I want to build a few log structures too. I also have a band saw mill to help me out if something needs cut.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Sep 2020 21:00

OK, get the sign for my log shelter. I have given it a name like all parks usually do. I will just call it the TR shelter for short.

I have also had an official branding iron made, will brand some wood around the area, in fact, brand lots of wood. Inside the cabin throughout the wall, some upside down etc, some sideways, make it look as if some scrap wood was used to patch together the inside and of course, the log uprights on the shtler at the entrance. Maybe a wooden sign on the gates with the brand burned into it.
TR sign (be placed above entance)
TR sign (be placed above entance)
Branding Iron
Branding Iron
JJ Iron up close.
JJ Iron up close.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Dec 2020 19:43

OK, starting to plan my April trip to cabin for roof on log shelter. Lumber prices are high.
I'm doing 2X6 rafters, 24" OC
$10.21 for each 8 footer. Getting 26 of them. '4X8 plywood in the 19/32, this is closer to 5/8 because of the 24"OC, I opted for thicker plywood. Almost $37 a sheet. I will buy all the lumber near the cabin, I did price it using that Home Depot.

I haven't even priced the metal, but thinking its going to be ultra spendy too. I will purchase this locally and drag it over. This all needs to be ordered in advance. Taking measurements from my model. I want to finish it all in a single trip. Have a full week off. Plan on painting it too.

OK, still time for prices to drop a bit. Keeping fingers crossed.

paulz
# Posted: 27 Dec 2020 21:52

Crazy prices. Hope they come down in time for you.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 27 Dec 2020 22:05

Metal roofing doesn’t seem to be much higher then what it was. It used to be about $2.40 a ft. Recently bought some for $2.65 a ft.

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Dec 2020 23:15 - Edited by: gcrank1

Ive spent much of this evening reading this whole thread (and sorta watching the G.B Packers game; its a WI thing....)
Beautiful!
Impressive!
And youve given me some food for thought on fire awareness, county foresters, etc.
Guess I'll have no shortage of projects come next year either, lol

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Dec 2020 08:39

gcrank, I have my DNR forrester for the area in my cell phone, we have become pals, same with the thinner guy. I had a dead douglas fir, beetle attack, never seen this before, was able to call him, got an answer, it was a fir engraver, so hopefully, no more fir tree losses.

I have 4 ponderosa beetle kills now still standing. I save those for when I got up with my sister, she loves dropping and skidding trees out, give the bugs a year to work the bark lose, roofing spud clears them off in minute, boom, more building material.

grank, just remember, gravel doesnt burn. This of blowing embers too, get a metal fin screen in front of gable vents to keep out blowing sparks. Just be 2 steps ahead of a fire if one does show up.

OK, plenty of time for stupid prices to drop, but I'm building it regardless.

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Dec 2020 10:48

Just came to mind as I read that, my 50gal 'pane cylinder is on that woods side, it is kinda the 'backside' for the way our place is situated. Probably the worse exposure for gas supply/storage....I still have to finalize my piping to permanent so this is the time to be thinkin on it.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Dec 2020 15:17

Quoting: gcrank1
Just came to mind as I read that, my 50gal 'pane cylinder is on that woods side

gcrank, the hot ticket is the ASME tank, you actually bury them below grade, never need to be recertified and you have a riser and lid to gain access for filling etc.

Just cut trees back a ways. If you have a way, you can plumb under eaves and propane with a water supply line for a sprinkler system, metal roof is a no brainer.

Trees you do leave behind, cut all lower branches off, to the 10 foot mark, trees around my cabin are cut up to the 20 foot mark. I bought a Honda UMC35 powerhead and bought the pole saw attachment with an added extension, so I can tdo lots of trimming standing on the ground.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jan 2021 17:02

Genuine USFS salt and pepper shakers to add to my cabin decor.
USFS S&P shakers
USFS S&P shakers

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Jan 2021 17:36

Watch out, that USFS thing might become an obsession....

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jan 2021 18:36 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: gcrank1
Watch out, that USFS thing might become an obsession....

Too late.

This is really a fun part of my entire project. Sure, building cabin and outbuildings, shelter etc is fun, but the decor, its endless.

I am always looking, searching. I just picked up a genuine USFS hatchett, needs new handle, its on its way. I have genuine USFS green paint to paint the axe head and with my 3/16 letter stamps, I will even put in U.S.F.S. on the handle. Sure, it will look like I stole it from them, but I know I didn't.

The whole adventure has taken on a life of its own now.
My sister has really enjoyed coming over there, we do a bro/sis long weekend (this is the 3rd year now) and I am gathering her a genuine park ranger outfit. I just need the straw campaign hat and its done.

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Jan 2021 19:14

Some time ago I had a USFS wooden pack frame with hd canvas straps. Very basic, you just cargo-lash stuff to it. I sold it to a young chap wanting to do 'vintage camping'. Ive seen a couple on ebay, think it is something most are unaware of.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jan 2021 19:34

I do have a USFS backback, this one dates to probably early 30's to 40's. It was WWI military surplus turned over to USFS, same exact one used by the army, but with the USFS logo on it.

Like first picture, but excellent clean condition and both leather straps perfect (they are usually broken) and has the USFS logo on it.

Now what I'd love to find is a USFS fire phone.
Surplus backpack
Surplus backpack
phone box
phone box
phone box opened.
phone box opened.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.