Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 12:32

Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
Ps: mower was 300$ and worth it. retired guy down the road fixes and re sells. he said the old mowers last forever. but the newer mowers give out in just 2 or 3 years. he is a sweet guy who knows his stuff.

sure good to know someone like this gal
I was outside in the yard with my dog The other day And a guy pulled up and his pickup. of course the dog was barking. he is a good watch dog.

we need a dog in our woods for sure.alot of stealing going on.smart to have one.
the guy jump right in trying to sell me steaks and so on. very hyper and no introduction but I let that go as I was in boxer shorts and a tank top looking pretty scraggly from digging in the dirt.
He winked at and said he would take food stamps.

i had this happen too once.sort of creepy.a fella knocked on my door but hid on the side where i could not see him from the peep hole.i went and saw a car like a station wagon opened in the back.dumb me.i go open the door and he pops out from the side and says he and his brother are selling meat an wanted me to go to the station wagon and peer in.i was like.we dont eat meat.i am sure he smelt the meat cooking at our home.heehee.i was so leery.i told him there is no selling anything door to door in our park.he left.he was just up to no good.u handled that one pretty good.thank goodness for your dog.
anyway I set him down the road to the Amish farm.. would have like to be a fly on the wall there.."chuckle"..

hee hee.dont u know it.i watch a show called breaking amish.i like the kids on it and its good.abe is one young fella.his mom left the amish and came to be with him.she is so cute.she is a round little apple of a woman.she went into a bar in all her amish clothes and sat down to drink her a beer and a band member who was playing bluegrass music came and hit on her.so cute.she was like no.i am fine and thank u.she did not think the fella was charming at all.so funny.
well off to fold clothes and get the grandson moving.i dont know one thing about texting machines.like your smart phone gal.my brother had one and he called it a dumb phone mostly cause he could not figure it out.
by the way.could u keep my brother in your prayers.he is 50 and has had several heart attacks.he never went to dr.for them.popping someone elses nitro.now he went to the V.A.last week.they kept him.hes really sick and has to have heart surgery.poor buddy.thanks and uhave a wonderful day.
i think your chicken coop will work just fine.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 14:21

Oh no! Yes i will put him on my prayer board on the wall. i pray over this daily. it reminds me to do this as my memory can skip like an old 45 at times.
Bless his heart. biggest problem i ever had with the really sick patients was denial.

Having your grandson there without interferring parents is wonderful! What a good grandma you are!

I got the trellis up for the morning glories. also another row of corn. short row of swiss chard and rutabagas. and 3 squash patches. i will go out and
take a picture.

That is totally creepy about the guy at your door.
That could have gone badly. Lord was watching over you for sure.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 14:55

Ok here is coop so far. also trellis up for morning glories. this was old box springs. i burnt the wood off.
Also there are the sunflowers growing by the shed.

I wish the adults would drop off grandkids for the day and leave..lol
The time you are spending with him is priceless.
You are making wonderful memories!
20130616_20.56.57..jpg
20130616_20.56.57..jpg
20130617_14.26.27..jpg
20130617_14.26.27..jpg
20130617_14.28.25..jpg
20130617_14.28.25..jpg

Bevis
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 16:57

Quoting: tnky03
today and made biscuits and chocolate gravy (a Southern thing ,lol)

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM...that is some good eatin' right there. I could eat it 3x a day. You're the first person I've run across that has mentioned it, too.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 12:05 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

Ok got 2 know.. what is chocolate gravy? is this what my snickers bar look like sitting in the car? Just kidding
But really want to know what it is?

Here is picture of my 3 sisters rosebed. in honor of me and my sisters..who bloom where we are planted and are tough under pressure..lol

one red..one white..one yellow..
20130618_12.05.47..jpg
20130618_12.05.47..jpg

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 12:13

Only 3 days left of spring and it has been a very enjoyable one for sure. We did a lot of work:
- New stone patio area
- Hanging hooks and organization cabinets for guests
- planted grass and other plants
- reworked the fire-pit area with a neater log pile
- exterior painting
- washed the windows and other spring cleaning

But more importantly we did a lot of playing:
- fishing, fires, grill-outs, hikes, woodworking, canoe/kayak trips, star gazing, bocce ball, board games, reading, etc.

Thankful for decent weather and time to enjoy.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 13:54

Good lord and you are still walking!

I just finished the garden planting Praise the Lord! Watermelon cantaloupe pumpkin And 75 plants brussel sprouts. I am done for now except I have to mow grass and I moved my compost pile.

I will join you and a cool beverage If I can get my hands to work again haha

tnky03
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 17:34

Quoting: Bevis
that is some good eatin' right there.

Oh yes, a childhood favorite of mine that my grandma made on Saturday mornings.

Ok got 2 know.. what is chocolate gravy?

It is made like regular gravy without salt, you add cocoa, sugar, vanilla which makes it so good. It is the same consistency of regular gravy and served over hot biscuits. It is a family favorite here
for many years.

Here is picture of my 3 sisters rose bed.

I love your rose garden! What a great idea, too.

Busy around here...planted blueberry bushes and more flowers. I will soon have green peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes to eat, yay! I'm growing my potatoes in old tires this year and just added the third tire. They are looking really good so far.

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 18:06

And 75 plants brussel sprouts.

Kelly,u sure will have alot of brussel sprouts to put up.wil u can them?
your plants all look very healthy.thank u for sharing.
love to see peoples gardens.

TheCabinCalls-whew.i am amazed.your place will be so prettyand probably is already
Quoting: tnky03
planted blueberry bushes

Debbie.we have blueberry bushes here in town but not at our woods.gonna plant a meadow full when we move there.so glad u are getting them in.oh.i cant wait to use tires for my planting.i know its got to be so good.attracting heat.whee doggy.

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 18:11

my grandson is here.he may stay with me the summer.well maybe half.i taught him to take grandpa's camera yesterday.he was nice,careful and respectful when using grandpa's camera.he took some pretty good photos.here is one of the Williamette river in our town.all the fisher men are out...
the one of my ten year old grandson on the big stump is the one i took yesterday.
we had a fun day.went to eat,went to the park.
lol.he wanted to swing high and me take a photo of him flying thru the air when he bailed out of the swing.i did but the button did not snap till he hit the ground.ha ha ha...i said do it again.he said no.haa haa.hugs cabi
fishermen
fishermen
picture i took
picture i took

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 18:22

Grandma Off Grid...
what is your recipe for chocolate gravy??
here is one i found.i can not imagen this and i am from the south.i love chocolate though.
we always had red eye gravy for breakfast.
recipe is as follows:

Whisk together 1/4 cup of all purpose flour with one cup of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of powdered cocoa in a non-stick sauce pan, stir in two cups of whole milk, cook until desired thickness.
Serve over hot flakey biscuits

This tastes great with country sausage links on the side.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 21:06

Oh he is precious!! and he took a great picture bless his little heart..what a blessing he is!

We ate red eye gravy too. hehe grandpa said it was called that cause it was good for hangovers lol

oh yes use the tires. i use to and had about 25.
They warm soil faster. no weeds. hold water better and better drainage. primo for growing. when season is all done cover with leaves or whatever. they will compost
soil over winter.

I am wiped out girls. now all i can do is talk and sing and encourage them all to grow lol

sure wish we could all sit by the fire and chat. us girls
needs that sometimes..

Here is todays pic of the first square i planted.
My little lovely ones..
20130618_16.31.40.jpg
20130618_16.31.40.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Jun 2013 11:57

I am wiped out girls. now all i can do is talk and sing and encourage them all to grow lol

so cute.here is what my sister does.she tells all her plans-"ok-u have two weeks to look good and do your thing-if u dont-into the trash u go.being replaced for plants that work to be here!".ha ha ha.that kills me.she does too.tosses them out.
Here is todays pic of the first square i planted.
My little lovely ones..

wow.u do make a grand garden dear Kelly.love it.i cant wait to get tires.i am gonna get alot of them and plant and plant.it will help the plants to grow in an area where there is not much growing season.thank u for all the photos.i enjoy them.
i get the other grandson on friday.i dont know how long they will be here.probably till monday or longer.i had to pry the clothes off the one i have had here a while...told him we have to wash your clothes little buddy.seems when i told him to get extra clothes.he just grabbed one extra tee shirt.guess he travels lite.lol.

today i am digging in the pits of my freezer to dig out old berries and make jams.and working on my braided rug.
what is everyone up too?hugs cabi

tnky03
# Posted: 19 Jun 2013 16:01

Well, this old gal is "plum tuckered out", as my grandma would say. Today I have planted more lettuce, spinach, kale, sunflowers, and re-planted some herbs that had not come up. I also planted 4 lilac bushes and 3 redbud trees. Mulch was carried by wheelbarrow loads to place around my tomatoes, corn, squash and pumpkins. I so love gardening but now can barely bend my fingers. I had hoped to put up more insulation today while hubby was at work but all my energy is gone, lol. That will have to wait until tomorrow.
cucumber plant
cucumber plant
green peppers
green peppers

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Jun 2013 18:18

tnky03.i am so jealous.u are at your place.your dream cabin and working in yur garden.oh i cant wait to live out at our cabin.love all u are doing.i cant wait to do it myself.your cukes and peppers look so good.rest.u deserve it.there is tomorrow.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 07:05

Very good pics and i can see you are really enjoying it all! It is good therapy.

That's funny about your grandson.. ah they know they can get away with that grandma's.
When I had my 5 year old grandson for a weekend I said what do you want for breakfast. he said hot dogs.
I said what do you want to drink he said Mountain Dew. I said okay! Lol only at Grandma's and just this once now.

I sure feel for you girls And the hard work Even though it's for a good purpose. I have to go out and weed today. my arm hurts just thinking about it lol

had to go to the city all day yesterday. what a huge mess and stress it is there. I did however pick up a beautiful couch at the thrift store. it has been cleaned and sanitized. just right price too.. $10!
20130619_18.50.32.jpg
20130619_18.50.32.jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 07:12

Here is a picture of Being in the city yesterday.. and one when I get close to home pretty different view point huh
20130619_16.43.46..jpg
20130619_16.43.46..jpg
20130619_14.21.06..jpg
20130619_14.21.06..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 13:35

That's funny about your grandson.. ah they know they can get away with that grandma's.
When I had my 5 year old grandson for a weekend I said what do you want for breakfast. he said hot dogs.
I said what do you want to drink he said Mountain Dew. I said okay! Lol only at Grandma's and just this once now.

ha ha ha.i love it.thats what grannies are for.fun.
I have to go out and weed today. my arm hurts just thinking about it lol

go easy gal.u dont want to re-injure yourself
gosh.thats a grand sofa gal.u did really good.very pretty

took so me photos of our garden.cant wait till this is pictures from our woods.not town.
the one bush is wild raspberrys.i guess a birdy dropped it by as he flew over heard.the seed took and now we get yummy berries.also have lots of raspberries ripe right now too.it helps to have this stuff so we can eat out of the garden to save for our cabin retirement projects.hugs cabi.go easy.have a great day.
plum tree
plum tree
blueberrys
blueberrys
grapes
grapes
wild thimble berry bush
wild thimble berry bush

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 14:45

Wow nice fruit going!
Yes garden helps suppliment grocery bill big time.
My grandma used to say fresh food has "7 different flavors in your mouth"..

Well i am hoping you get back out there soon!

i have worked myself to the bone today.
Taking siesta and got my porch shower.
This afternoon/evening going to try my little grill out.
Make small steak and salad see whats in garden ready.
lettuce and onions at least.
Make little campfire in the patio fireplace my sis sent me last christmas.

Your invited and i will put the kettle on too!

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 15:10

My grandma used to say fresh food has "7 different flavors in your mouth"..

whoa.like what??thats interesting.
This afternoon/evening going to try my little grill out.

enjoy.this sounds great after working so hard.sounds yummy
Make little campfire in the patio fireplace my sis sent me last christmas.

Your invited and i will put the kettle on too!

sounds fun gal.i am in.hee hee.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 19:25

Lol i dont know i think she just meant it tasted so much better!

Cookout went good. heated water for dishes and laundry same time.

i can understand now the attraction of the big outdoor barbecue/kitchen!
Too much stooping lol
20130620_16.32.59..jpg
20130620_16.32.59..jpg
20130620_17.46.53..jpg
20130620_17.46.53..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 22:10

Ps: i knew about green onions on windowsill they will keep growing.
But a few days ago I tried the celery. had a batch in fridge that didnt get used.
Took off the stalk and stuck rest.in dirt in pot on porch. hey it is already growing new stalks!

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 04:22

looks good Kelly.love the set up.the garden is big.now how much land so u have?love the garden,the sunny day and set up for outside living.pretty nice.
we had a big ole hailstorm here last nite.
up early.gonna get the ister headed to work and then go get my other grandson.finally.yay!
your salad looks good.
so u potted some older celery in a pot and it grows more celery?thats interesting.
going to get coffee.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 08:13

Hey good morning. yes just cut the stalks off and stuck the root ball and the dirt and the pot and watered it. I was stunned it is actually really growing. new stalks coming up. talk about easy way to grow celery!

You will have a good time with your boy. we will expect a full report lol

how is your brother doing so far?

My daughter with grandson Noah Was pushing stroller down sidewalk Yesterday. woman hit them with her car and knocked the stroller and the baby out into busy traffic! She scrambled got him to safety And they are both okay. I wish she would move here and stay with me. but all I can do is pray over them everyday ask God to keep them safe.

Just up getting coffee. I do okay during the day once I get moving but the night and morning is rough. I am doing all of this with one good arm and two hands haha. but I am determined to keep working this and build it up so it can get stronger. my shoulder I mean.
There are many many who have it much worse and do more so I am grateful.

I think you can do the same thing with lettuce. just plant the end root part.
It was something I read about root crops But didn't know if it would work. couldn't hurt to try though.

Chickens are liking their new coop and laying eggs.
I have a little over an acre. that is more than enough for what I need and just about what I can take care of.

Hoping you have a wonderful day! If not I'll have the kettle on and we can sit by the fire and have a chat haha

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 08:18

My daughter with grandson Noah Was pushing stroller down sidewalk Yesterday. woman hit them with her car and knocked the stroller and the baby out into busy traffic! She scrambled got him to safety And they are both okay

[b]omg.i am so happy they are alright Kelly.thats horrible.yeek[/b]
oh lets see. my brother.hmm.stinker.we think he was building up a case with the drs.to get on s.s.i.
they did keep him.mostly alcohol related but he does go in july 1 to get his test results.sis and i are trying to figure that one out.
he told us he had thyroid cancer,gonna have open heart surgery.he told my sister he was getting a walker but he was riding his mt.bike around.hmm.will keep u posted about him.
well Kelly this is news about the lettuce and celery.i will try it.
ok.off i go.got to pick up the 13 yr old.
hope u have a good day.hugs cabi

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Jun 2013 07:04

morning.dont have my coffee yet.just got both grandsons to sleep.they stayed up the nite.
i figure its summer.
i made them homemade spaghetti,i made them homemade candy.
let them on my computer while i crocheted.they were on all day and nite.hee hee.
they like maury n dr.phil.how funny.
today they will sleep in the heat of the day.
Kelly,Debbie and all.have a wonderful morning.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 Jun 2013 07:31 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

Only at grandmas lol

my grandma told me a story once about my brother.
He came to stay with her for the summer. he was about six years old.
She asked him what he wanted to eat.. knowing my mom didn't allow him to have any sweets.
He said Candy cookies cake pie ice cream..hehehe
she said okay..
This went on for about 2 days.
The third morning he got up for breakfast and came to Grandma scratching his head and rubbing his stomach like he was sick
she asked him again what do you want for breakfast?
He said.." well grandma.. I think this morning I will have some grits and eggs and toast"..
She just smiled.. because grandma's are very wise.
*chuckle*

Good morning ladies. little prayer request. Son applying for a different job. it is an excellent opportunity. but he won't be heartbroken if he doesn't get it because he is still doing well at Walmart. however he want something more long term career oriented at least to give it a try.
So I am sworn to silence Until he gets an answer.
All they can say is yes no or maybe. that's what I told him. Helped him do the paperwork.

I will see if I can get a good picture of the celery
growing in the pot. I'm really quite shocked that it worked. but then again I am shocked if anything I do work haha

funny memory I had last night when son and I were talking about jobs.
We were on a call my partner and I For diabetic.
It was a sweet little grandma And her living room with family. she was awake and alert. took her blood sugar it wasn't bad. so I said we would make her something to eat. I went and kitchen made her peanut butter and jelly sandwich on toast. she wanted the crust cut off.
An added a glass of juice. well my partner fed her I did the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen haha
we had her laughing and fine in no time and avoided a trip to the ER for something that could easily be done at home.
I joked with her I would vaccum if she would show me where it was..lol
it was a break from all of the other calls we would get that day that did not go as well.
And an opportunity to do some good instead of arriving on a scene where everything had already gone wrong.
At times I really miss the job. I don't miss the 24 hour shifts and some of the BS that went on.
But I do miss the patients and some of the challenging calls.

Have a wonderful day ladies And I am including a picture of the cherries I picked yesterday from the empty property. hate to see it all go to waste I will make a pie. I have a little oven that sits on a burner or grill.
Hugs to you all
20130621_11.48.00..jpg
20130621_11.48.00..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 Jun 2013 08:07

Hope I am NOT boring you with these stories lol

another call I went on with a different partner was a young woman pregnant with her first child at about 28 weeks. the daddy and the soon to be grandma were very anxious because the sweet young lady was in early labor and it couldn't be stopped. so we were just transporting her to a larger hospital.
My partner was a young man nice guy.. little arrogant but that's how some of them can be at times.
As we were picking up the paperwork at the desk He says to me
( this is a young man never married no kids)
" I will take this patient because I HAVE DELIVERED A BABY"
I just looked at him and grinned and said.." oh okay.. I have delivered 5"
Lol..hehehe

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 Jun 2013 08:11 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

Ps: the young lady delivered a healthy baby boy at about 38 weeks. she sent us a thank you card with a birth announcement. We toasted his birth with a happy meal..

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 Jun 2013 12:04

Okay here is a picture Of the celery growing. pardon the sloppiness lol
20130622_08.21.20..jpg
20130622_08.21.20..jpg

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.